Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,021 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent (4370 Views)

Land Agent In Idiroko Boarder Ipokia Local Government Of Ogun State / Land Agent Wanted / Land Agent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 06, 2015
I just wanted to alert you guys on something to watch out for during your property search in Nigeria.

I employed the services of a real estate Attorney to search for a legal land for me to purchase.

My lawyer through research found and made contact with an agent who showed us a piece of land in an area. I wanted to buy that land but the seller then reneged and said he wasn't selling anymore. So in my opinion that was the end of that deal and agent.

My lawyer then found another agent who showed us some other land in the same area. I went ahead and made that purchase after doing due diligence. We paid the new agent his fees.

Fast forward weeks later and my guys were working on my lot when the first agent came up to them (trespassing) and told them that I owed him agent fees (slander) and that he will call the Police and beat them up next time they work on my land until I pay him 10% (terroristic threat). Remember, he did not show us this property but another agent did, yet he wants to get paid.

I of course am letting my lawyer handle this (and he is). I did some research and found this agent advertising currently on OLX (surprise, it's becoming obvious that the platform could be a den of thieves as alleged on other threads) and I suspect that he is also on Nairaland but I haven't located his posts so far.

So my take away advice is for folks to document or sign a contract detailing which specific property an agent is showing you during your search.

As I've always stated, it is my belief that the average Nigerian is worse than the looting government. We all have a part to play in the national rebranding.

Since I learned a lot from on here I thought I should share this for others to learn from.

**In case this may head to court (I'm prepared to sue the agent for any further violations) I'm withholding naming the agent for now.

1 Like

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by FastShipping: 3:10pm On Apr 06, 2015
Most land transactions don't go smoothly in Nigeria. These land hustlers are nothing but fraudsters. I bought my land about eight years ago and didn't develop it until four to five years after purchase. The land is in an estate. I bought two plots and my neighbor bought two plots as well. My neighbor paid half for his land while I paid in full. To my surprise, as my guys were working there early January, 2015, the seller of the land approach my people that they needed to contact me. I made the contact and the next thing they told me was about my neighbor not paying the 50% left on the land for the past eight years. They asked me to pay the rest of the balance and take the land. They told me my neighbor has not showed up at the site since he paid part payment on the land. It was too tempting but I declined.

You cannot trust these land hustlers in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by FastShipping: 3:14pm On Apr 06, 2015
CityNG:
I just wanted to alert you guys on something to watch out for during your property search in Nigeria.

I employed the services of a real estate Attorney to search for a legal land for me to purchase.

My lawyer through research found and made contact with an agent who showed us a piece of land in an area. I wanted to buy that land but the seller then reneged and said he wasn't selling anymore. So in my opinion that was the end of that deal and agent.

My lawyer then found another agent who showed us some other land in the same area. I went ahead and made that purchase after doing due diligence. We paid the new agent his fees.

Fast forward weeks later and my guys were working on my lot when the first agent came up to them (trespassing) and told them that I owed him agent fees (slander) and that he will call the Police and beat them up next time they work on my land until I pay him 10% (terroristic threat). Remember, he did not show us this property but another agent did, yet he wants to get paid.

I of course am letting my lawyer handle this (and he is). I did some research and found this agent advertising currently on OLX (surprise, it's becoming obvious that the platform could be a den of thieves as alleged on other threads) and I suspect that he is also on Nairaland but I haven't located his posts so far.

So my take away advice is for folks to document or sign a contract detailing which specific property an agent is showing you during your search.

As I've always stated, it is my belief that the average Nigerian is worse than the looting government. We all have a part to play in the national rebranding.

Since I learned a lot from on here I thought I should share this for others to learn from.

**In case this may head to court (I'm prepared to sue the agent for any further violations) I'm withholding naming the agent for now.

Your agent is the one behind your trouble. You need to squeeze his balls. He must have been told you just came from "Yankee". grin grin

This is a big lesson for you. Never buy a land anywhere in Southwest and work on the land immediately. Always wait at least nine months before embarking on any project on your land. In my own case, I waited four years. grin grin
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by uboma(m): 3:31pm On Apr 06, 2015
FastShipping:

Your agent is the one behind your trouble. You need to squeeze his balls. He must have been told you just came from "Yankee". grin grin

This is a big lesson for you. Never buy a land anywhere in Southwest and work on the land immediately. Always wait at least nine months before embarking on any project on your land. In my own case, I waited four years. grin grin

Wrong advise. A lot could happen within the space of 9 months that may make you either loose the land or have difficulties developing it. I am of the school of thought that as soon as one purchases a plot of land(that has verified), he should fence the plot immediately and commence work on it soon rather than later.

Why wait to develop your plot of land when the resources are readily available?

@ op, your agent can settle the issue with the other agent amicably. He knows what to do. But its also right that you are seeking legal means to shut him up.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 06, 2015
FastShipping:

Sir, I'm sorry your assertion isn't correct.
I worked for a client in Ondo state in 2013 and immediately he purchased the land, I mobilized to site to inspect, called the town planners and surveyors who surveyed the plot, and the LGA resident planners who prepared a C of O, harmonized the architectural and Engr'ing draught works. All that was needed was an affidavit that the land belonged to the new owner, and an oath of agreement between parties. We had to only pay omo nile fees for foundation and roofing.

I'll always advice intending property owners to get very clear terms with previous land owners, reach a very clear conclusion, immediately back it with agreement between relevant parties and witnesses and then invite a lawyer. Immediately, go to the Urban planning authorities to acquire relevant titled documents for the land, immediately after which you get a beacon and erect a fence to prevent intrusion and/or trespassing.

Land acquisition in Nigeria is another pain in the tooth.
-I'm talking from experience as a town planner who had been in Government very briefly before going into private practice.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 06, 2015
FastShipping:
Most land transactions don't go smoothly in Nigeria. These land hustlers are nothing but fraudsters. I bought my land about eight years ago and didn't develop it until four to five years after purchase. The land is in an estate. I bought two plots and my neighbor bought two plots as well. My neighbor paid half for his land while I paid in full. To my surprise, as my guys were working there early January, 2015, the seller of the land approach my people that they needed to contact me. I made the contact and the next thing they told me was about my neighbor not paying the 50% left on the land for the past eight years. They asked me to pay the rest of the balance and take the land. They told me my neighbor has not showed up at the site since he paid part payment on the land. It was too tempting but I declined.

You cannot trust these land hustlers in Nigeria.

This is exactly why I worked solely through an Attorney at additional expense.

One of them that advertises on here had the audacity to ask me to pay him 10% after just sending me one online listing in response to an incomplete advert on here.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 06, 2015
FastShipping:

Which agent? The one that never showed the land that he wants to earn fees on or the one that actually showed us the land?

Based on what I know now from trudging though the landscape in Nigeria for three weeks, unless one buys in a developed estate, the best thing one can do is to do land clearing before paying for the land and then start to do work immediately after paying for the land.

I don't do estates and I don't really like living next to folks so I am way out there in the fringe of society grin
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 06, 2015
uboma:

Wrong advise. A lot could happen within the space of 9 months that may make you either loose the land or have difficulties developing it. I am of the school of thought that as soon as one purchases a plot of land(that has verified), he should fence the plot immediately and commence work on it soon rather than later.

Why wait to develop your plot of land when the resources are readily available?

@ op, your agent can settle the issue with the other agent amicably. He knows what to do. But its also right that you are seeking legal means to shut him up.

An astute position and one repeated to me by folks on the ground.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 06, 2015
lomomike:

Sir, I'm sorry your assertion isn't correct.
I worked for a client in Ondo state in 2013 and immediately he purchased the land, I mobilized to site to inspect, called the town planners and surveyors who surveyed the plot, and the LGA resident planners who prepared a C of O, harmonized the architectural and Engr'ing draught works. All that was needed was an affidavit that the land belonged to the new owner, and an oath of agreement between parties. We had to only pay omo nile fees for foundation and roofing.

I'll always advice intending property owners to get very clear terms with previous land owners, reach a very clear conclusion, immediately back it with agreement between relevant parties and witnesses and then invite a lawyer. Immediately, go to the Urban planning authorities to acquire relevant titled documents for the land, immediately after which you get a beacon and erect a fence to prevent intrusion and/or trespassing.

Land acquisition in Nigeria is another pain in the tooth.
-I'm talking from experience as a town planner who had been in Government very briefly before going into private practice.

My brother the drama wey I see with two krokro eyes fit fill a whole book.

I lost the first week totally due to highway robbers discussed as land sellers. One land I was looking at was initially offered for N400k, when we got there to do the actual paperwork signing (we've finished all the due diligence) the seller then said he wasn't aware that the land faced a road and he now wants N850k.

Not sure if it's the whole country but Ibadan impressed me as mostly filled by hoodlums/thugs/thieves who masquerade as land agents/sellers.

Is it the economy?
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Marpol: 5:56pm On Apr 06, 2015
Am of the opinion that once you buy a land, fence it and install a gate. Lock your gate. Anyone that goes in there without your permission is tresspassing. You have the right to shoot first and ask questions later.

1 Like

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Sankabson(m): 6:29pm On Apr 06, 2015
FastShipping:

Sir, You so wrong with the above Point Sir.. leaving a Vacant Land for 100Years doesn't guarantee its safety Sir.. Omo Onile/Family can always come to start trouble that's it's always good to PERFECT YOUR LAND DOCUMENTS (LEGALLY) and FENCED IT ROUND IMMEDIATELY.. I am Agent Sir, and I've deal with many Yankees and UK based Clients, they always Love to start the Project almost immediately.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Sankabson(m): 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2015
Marpol:
Am of the opinion that once you buy a land, fence it and install a gate. Lock your gate. Anyone that goes in there without your permission is tresspassing. You have the right to shoot first and ask questions later.
Lol! General Marpol! Easy Sir.. This is Nigeria!!! grin
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2015
CityNG:

I lost the first week totally due to highway robbers discussed as land sellers. One land I was looking at was initially offered for N400k, when we got there to do the actual paperwork signing (we've finished all the due diligence) the seller then said he wasn't aware that the land faced a road and he now wants N850k.

Not sure if it's the whole country but Ibadan impressed me as mostly filled by hoodlums/thugs/thieves who masquerade as land agents/sellers.

Is it the economy?

Sorry about the whole evil incident(s). I blame it on
1. Economic situation: if economic situation has been favourable, and youths are gainfully employed such nonsense will reduce.

2. Greed and loss of morality: most of these dealers are greedy, they're thieves and have lost all form of morality and conscience.

3. Archaic government policy: there is no known clear cut policy framework for would be land owners to go thru in order to acquire land from owners willing to sell off. There is no known price regulatory mechanism in place to act as check and balance which will in-turn curb the excesses of these agents and owners who charge very high for a piece of land. In Asokoro, before you purchase a plot of land, you must be willing to part with close to 500million naira, but Government sold layout in such area is said to be NGN18,000/sqmtr the last time I was trying to follow their land prices.

4. Most Urban/ Land related authorities are Maradona, if you ask for info on a particular land and its history/owners, the staffs will dribble you till you lose steam. All in the name of they want you to bribe them.

Sorry bro. However, I hope you didn't lose your cash to those above mentioned evil?

In places like Abuja, I'll advice folks to purchase a fresh layout, or already built house and then configure/alter to your own taste (not without having FCDA guys disturbing and if possible drawing a huge red 'X' on it).
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Sankabson(m): 6:40pm On Apr 06, 2015
CityNG:

Is it the economy?
Sir, I've worked almost all the South-West, and I'd always noticed, Clients falls victim of a similar Problem. The Curiosity on their face do brought them Problems at the Long run.

1) Never Show How Ready You're when Purchasing a Property.

2) Always seek for a Good and Competent Agent whom You can At least trust for like 45%

3) Get Yourself a reputable Lawyer/Solicitor ( not just anyhow looking hungry Man/Woman).

4) Do some investigation Yourself i.e Ask Questions from the Neighbours, and Gate Man (Aboki) around the Area. Theyll surely know little or more information about the said property.

Between, Ibadan is one of the easiest Field so far for more.. Ibadan People are always ready to Help!!!
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Sankabson(m): 6:46pm On Apr 06, 2015
CityNG:

. Only Your Agent can Help Sir.. They both know each other, one way or the other.

He'd just Hungry' Your agent can settle that..
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 06, 2015
Sankabson:
Sir, I've worked almost all the South-West, and I'd always noticed, Clients falls victim of a similar Problem. The Curiosity on their face do brought them Problems at the Long run.

1) Never Show How Ready You're when Purchasing a Property.

2) Always seek for a Good and Competent Agent whom You can At least trust for like 45%

3) Get Yourself a reputable Lawyer/Solicitor ( not just anyhow looking hungry Man/Woman).

4) Do some investigation Yourself i.e Ask Questions from the Neighbours, and Gate Man (Aboki) around the Area. Theyll surely know little or more information about the said property.

Between, Ibadan is one of the easiest Field so far for more.. Ibadan People are always ready to Help!!!

1) I had a time limit. This shouldn't matter to a honest seller.

2) We did. The agent is the one that is trying to charge for land that he did not show. But now I know him and unfortunately of him I own a business referral website specifically on Ibadan.

3) I did.

4) I did. Issue is not the land itself but a thieving agent that wants to get paid for work that he did not do.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 06, 2015
lomomike:

Sorry about the whole evil incident(s). I blame it on
1. Economic situation: if economic situation has been favourable, and youths are gainfully employed such nonsense will reduce.

2. Greed and loss of morality: most of these dealers are greedy, they're thieves and have lost all form of morality and conscience.

3. Archaic government policy: there is no known clear cut policy framework for would be land owners to go thru in order to acquire land from owners willing to sell off. There is no known price regulatory mechanism in place to act as check and balance which will in-turn curb the excesses of these agents and owners who charge very high for a piece of land. In Asokoro, before you purchase a plot of land, you must be willing to part with close to 500million naira, but Government sold layout in such area is said to be NGN18,000/sqmtr the last time I was trying to follow their land prices.

4. Most Urban/ Land related authorities are Maradona, if you ask for info on a particular land and its history/owners, the staffs will dribble you till you lose steam. All in the name of they want you to bribe them.

Sorry bro. However, I hope you didn't lose your cash to those above mentioned evil?

In places like Abuja, I'll advice folks to purchase a fresh layout, or already built house and then configure/alter to your own taste (not without having FCDA guys disturbing and if possible drawing a huge red 'X' on it).

Apart from the Omo Onile and Area Boys which unfortunately is a given but was a small amount to me, the only real money I lost was N10,000 that I spent clearing a land that the seller later changed the price from N400k/plot to N850k. I could have negotiated but I did not based on principles.

I mean we did due diligence, had an agreement and was meeting onsite to sign documents and take pictures. So even with the best intentions, due diligence, investigation, lawyer the shylock still finally showed his true colors.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 7:40pm On Apr 06, 2015
CityNG:

Apart from the Omo Onile and Area Boys which unfortunately is a given but was a small amount to me, the only real money I lost was N10,000 that I spent clearing a land that the seller later changed the price from N400k/plot to N850k. I could have negotiated but I did not based on principles.

I mean we did due diligence, had an agreement and was meeting onsite to sign documents and take pictures. So even with the best intentions, due diligence, investigation, lawyer the shylock still finally showed his true colors.

Well, thank GOD you didn't lose all the money budgeted on the land+development to the con man.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 06, 2015
Sankabson:
. Only Your Agent can Help Sir.. They both know each other, one way or the other.

He'd just Hungry' Your agent can settle that..

I'll let my lawyer figure it out.

I know the economy is bad and everybody is hungry but the citizens have to do there part.

Buhari is only one person and can only do so much. The rest of us have to do our own part to curb corruption and indiscipline.

1 Like

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Marpol: 8:21pm On Apr 06, 2015
Sankabson:
Lol! General Marpol! Easy Sir.. This is Nigeria!!! grin

I tell you some of these guys are heartless. T

2 Likes

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 06, 2015
Marpol:

I tell you some of these guys are heartless. They moved my geepee tank and nearly moved my submersible pumping machine from a fenced site.

I hear you.

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by spyder880(m): 6:53am On Apr 07, 2015
FastShipping:

Just like the others said, leaving a land after purchase is courting trouble. I know a land where people still resold after the owner even fenced it and left it for 4 years. He is still battling the new claimants till today.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 07, 2015
Marpol:

I tell you some of these guys are heartless. They moved my geepee tank and nearly moved my submersible pumping machine from a fenced site.

Chai! That's wickedness. I'm interested in the submersible water pump issue.
Next time bury it, take a discarded steel wheeel mount over it, and make a cement+sand+stone mix and set it to dry over it. It will not be easy to steal.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Marpol: 8:02am On Apr 07, 2015
lomomike:

Chai! That's wickedness. I'm interested in the submersible water pump issue.
Next time bury it, take a discarded steel wheeel mount over it, and make a cement+sand+stone mix and set it to dry over it. It will not be easy to steal.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Marpol: 8:04am On Apr 07, 2015
CityNG:

I hear you.

See arsenal.
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 07, 2015
Marpol:

That was what I had to finally do. And padlocked it with the biggest padlock I could buy.

grin !diots forcing men to take drastic measures. I always do that cement + steel wheel + padlock thingy on every site I supervise if i have access to borehole. As for your tank, did you etch your name and number on it and get a neighbour to watch over it for you?

One of my sites, I etched my own name and number with a sharp abrasive, then painted the etching with white paint.

Next time, when you have another site, get a local security man, build a temporary make shift hut, pay him daily 500 to watch over the place with his bow, poisoned arrows and poisoned dagger. Touaregs AKA bunzu guys from Niger republic will gladly take such offer without thinkin twice.

1 Like

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by mufutau55(m): 3:21pm On Apr 07, 2015
CityNG:

I hear you.

CityNG, now you are talking my language. I got some of this arsenal... if we can only legalize this in Naija, I won't have to need any Babalawo.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 07, 2015
mufutau55:

CityNG, now you are talking my language. I got some of this arsenal... if we can only legalize this in Naija, I won't have to need any Babalawo.

Hajji M.

Babalawo?
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 07, 2015
segzy14:

Babalawo?

Any measure and/or means necessary.

Nothing shows determination to a cause as taking off your church outfit to show your elaborate "bante".

Just joking wink
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 07, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

On my gate I don't want to write "My Lord Redeemeth" or other such nonsense.

I want to write "This Property Protected By My Friends, Smith and Wesson". grin
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by FastShipping: 4:40pm On Apr 07, 2015
CityNG:

On my gate I don't want to write "My Lord Redeemeth" or other such nonsense.

I want to write "This Property Protected By My Friends, Smith and Wesson". grin

You are too Texan for my liking.

I schooled in Oklahoma and always on the visit to Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston, and Sugar Land. I don't know why you all think it is okay to play around with bunch of guns. What are you all scared of?
Re: Sharing An Experience With A Land Agent by mufutau55(m): 4:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
segzy14:

Babalawo?

Or even those Fake Alfas and Pastors... abi not be those people dem dey go use to fight their enemies?

For me, na Uzi/AK45 and Smith & Wesson... Made in USA.

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Garden Design, swimming pools, Water Fall And Koi Ponds / Lavadia Luxury Apartments And Duplexes With 18 Months Payment Plan / Affordable Building Design Call Whatapp +2348036336212

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.