Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Please Economist Educate Us - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Please Economist Educate Us (1091 Views)

Economist Explains: The Rising Demand For Nigerian Bonds / Please Investors Please Can Some One Educate Me On Shares? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Economist Educate Us by handsum92: 2:28pm On Apr 07, 2015
Pls any economist(s) in house should please elucidate...what exactly makes a currency valuable?...how come the British pounds still rank as the most valuable currency and it's not as if they have the best economy...can an economist just educate us from ground up about currency appreciation and depreciation...thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Economist Educate Us by ednut1(m): 3:48pm On Apr 07, 2015
in the past currency was linked to gold prices, and the British dominated the world before world war 2, that has stopped but the pound value jst carried on from there, am nt an economist grin
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by ernie4life(m): 7:47pm On Apr 07, 2015
Nice questions

Lots of factor come to play in determining the value of a currency, I will pick a few and discuss

Demand and Supply
In simple terms demand is requesting while supply is giving, when the currency of a country is in high demand the value of that country's currency is bound to appreciate, your next question will be how do you determine when a country's currency is in high demand? when you want to buy goods from  Canada for instance, you have to convert to that currency to make such transactions because your home country's currency has no value outside it's place of origin, so the more you buy from that country you are directly increasing your demand for that country's currency, invariably you are contributing to the increase of that country's currency value  and this will cause that country's currency to appreciate in value. On the other hand you are giving out your own home currency( that's supply) and this will cause the value of your currency to depreciate.

Now the law of demand and supply states " the higher the demand the higher the price and the higher the supply the lower the price( "ceteris paribus" is simply saying that as long as all other factors that could affect the outcome remain constant). 

So the more you are demanding another country's goods you are indirectly contributing to the appreciation of that country's currency while that of your country is depreciating 

To summarise this the more you buy from another country the more that country's currency is appreciating.

During colonial rule Nigeria was a  major producer of raw materials for the industries in other countries, and those countries needed those raw materials to keep up with production this made Naira's value appreciate but now the reverse is the case that's why the value of Naira is falling, we import virtually every thing from machines, skilled labour to foods etc so tell me why the value of Naira won't fall while that if China and other industrialised countries appreciate

Any questions before I move to the next factor?
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by handsum92: 11:20pm On Apr 07, 2015
ednut1:
in the past currency was linked to gold prices, and the British dominated the world before world war 2, that has stopped but the pound value jst carried on from there, am nt an economist grin

You are what you are by what you know and not by the certificates...for that I add economist to your qualification from now on sir
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by MrKnowitall: 11:23pm On Apr 07, 2015
Money is backed by gold. I could go into further explanation but im not sure you have the time.
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by handsum92: 11:23pm On Apr 07, 2015
ernie4life:
Nice questions

Lots of factor come to play in determining the value of a currency, I will pick a few and discuss

Demand and Supply
In simple terms demand is requesting while supply is giving, when the currency of a country is in high demand the value of that country's currency is bound to appreciate, your next question will be how do you determine when a country's currency is in high demand? when you want to buy goods from  Canada for instance, you have to convert to that currency to make such transactions because your home country's currency has no value outside it's place of origin, so the more you buy from that country you are directly increasing your demand for that country's currency, invariably you are contributing to the increase of that country's currency value  and this will cause that country's currency to appreciate in value. On the other hand you are giving out your own home currency( that's supply) and this will cause the value of your currency to depreciate.

Now the law of demand and supply states " the higher the demand the higher the price and the higher the supply the lower the price( "ceteris paribus" is simply saying that as long as all other factors that could affect the outcome remain constant). 

So the more you are demanding another country's goods you are indirectly contributing to the appreciation of that country's currency while that of your country is depreciating 

To summarise this the more you buy from another country the more that country's currency is appreciating.

During colonial rule Nigeria was a  major producer of raw materials for the industries in other countries, and those countries needed those raw materials to keep up with production this made Naira's value appreciate but now the reverse is the case that's why the value of Naira is falling, we import virtually every thing from machines, skilled labour to foods etc so tell me why the value of Naira won't fall while that if China and other industrialised countries appreciate

Any questions before I move to the next factor? 
No question sir, factor 1 digested,please ride on sir
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by handsum92: 11:25pm On Apr 07, 2015
MrKnowitall:
Money is backed by gold. I could go into further explanation but im not sure you have the time.

Please go ahead...I'm ready to learn from you sir
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by MrKnowitall: 11:35pm On Apr 07, 2015
handsum92:

Please go ahead...I'm ready to learn from you sir

The value of money comes from two places: federal government's gold reserve and the full faith and credit of the federal government.
1. For example, the U.S government is supposed to have one dollar worth of gold in the federal reserve bank for every dollar in circulation.
This is where dollar gets its value from. Hence paper currency are backed by gold.
2. Of course some country are not able to meet this requirement, this is where 'full faith and credit' come into play.
This means the trust worthiness of the country's federal government. Is the government stable, will it pay back its loans, is it responsible, can it run an economy properly, how much natural resource it has, etc.... If a country is marked yes to all those questions, countries will have faith in its currency, giving it a high value. There are more details but this is the general layout. I hope you have a better understanding now.
Re: Please Economist Educate Us by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 08, 2015
Who said pounds is the most valuable currency in the world??!! 4 diff currencies rank higher than pounds! You can google it

(1) (Reply)

Deleted. / Poultry Farm Owners Needed For Egg Supply. / Follow These 6 Simple Steps And You'll Never Be Broke Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.