Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Be Watchful Of Gsm Scammers.(mod:move This To The Appropriate Section) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Be Watchful Of Gsm Scammers.(mod:move This To The Appropriate Section) (659 Views)

Nigerian Should Be More Cautious And Watchful / In 1995, Nigerian Scammers Sold A Fake Airport To A Foreign Bank For $242M / Nigerians, Beware Of These Kind Of Scammers!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Be Watchful Of Gsm Scammers.(mod:move This To The Appropriate Section) by diremi12(m): 4:01pm On Apr 07, 2015
[size=16pt]i was awaiting a text from a friend who's supposed to send me someone number, just about when i disconnected the call a text message came in. i looked carefully at the text, and see it's a messed up scam text from crooks to lure unsuspecting victims into sending recharge vouchers to them. here is the play out.
after i read the text which contains a message that I've won #2M from mtn with a unique code, i bought some call card to call and see how the drama unfolds,usually. i called to claim my prize, and as always these people would ask you where you're calling from after welcoming you to their office phone desk. this is usually to give a more distance to wherever you say you're calling from(eg. if you say you're calling from lagos, they'd tell you say for instance their office is in Abuja, or PHC). i told him i am in lagos at the moment and immediately he said he's from their abuja office after asking me for the unique code. he congratulate me and said they will be sending me a cheque in that sum i've won, i played along, he asked me to disconnect the call and send him my details such as name, address, place of work. after i sent those to him, i called back and he told me to remove my sim from my phone, copy out the code on the sim and make it handy. he also told me to buy #3,000 worth of mtn recharge card in either #750, #1500 or #400 denominations. i told him okay and acted like i was sending someone the card right away. after 20 mins, i called him back and told him i got 2 "#1500" cards and i've already sent him the code from my sim, he screamed and said he hasnt asked me to send the code yet. he congratulates me again and told me to punch *444*the 24digit codes of both cards #(note *444* was used by mtn to refer friends)... to check if the offer is still available. he advised i invest the money well and help advertise mtn to my friends so they will see the good work they are doing, lol. i picked a worn-out card and typed the numbers in no particular order and got a "offer is no longer available message). i called back and he said to give him a few mins to check his system. Now he wants to do it for me manually, he needs the number right at the back of my sim and the recharge card codes. my guess is he starts to type the recharge card code into a different phone immediately i started calling it out and after calling the first 12 he said i should retry the number because the system would recognize it with my sim id number. i laughed at him and told him how dunce he was.
i took note of the following stages of the scam.
1. the winning number is really unique to them... i was sent 0112 as winning number, i called 0115 when i first called and he said i should check which means they have a record for all numbers they are spamming.
2. they'll ask you to tell where you're calling from first, so they can book a few distance away from you. in my case, i asked if MTN wouldnt be coming with news men and cameras because #2m is large a sum... he said no
3. i guess he asked about my name and address to make it official, be able to know my financial strength with the job i sent them.
4. he wants 1500, 750 or 400 cards because 100 in 30 places would take forever to load on his phone
5.he sent me a text that i won something on mtn with a glo number?
6. right in the middle of Promotion, he used number 0 and letter O.

i hope this helps someone.[/size]

Re: Be Watchful Of Gsm Scammers.(mod:move This To The Appropriate Section) by lomprico(m): 4:06pm On Apr 07, 2015
U sef greedy! Why did u bother to call? U have wasted ur call credit, u are d dunce here.

1 Like

Re: Be Watchful Of Gsm Scammers.(mod:move This To The Appropriate Section) by diremi12(m): 11:54pm On Jun 10, 2016
See fool. Lol I'm not just as broke as you are dog.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Arrested In India With $6.3 Million Worth Of Heroin / I Just Bought A Fake Fuel Today In Aba. 210 Per Litre / Photos: Men Arrested For Stealing Goats In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.