Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55284 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:18pm On Jan 11, 2011
Glo launches 4G-LTE network
NewsJan 11, 2011
By Prince Osuagwu
LAGOS — Second National Telecommunications Operator, Globacom, has launched the fourth generation mobile technology, 4G-LTE network, in Nigeria.
Long Term Evolution LTE is a revolutionary mobile technology which enhances the data transfer rates delivering faster mobile broadband experience and highest data speeds and reliability.
LTE is an advancement in technology to the 3.5G and High Speed Packet Access, HSPA. It provides ubiquitous services for users on the GSM technology curve and also others on CDMA and WiMAX platforms and is touted to offer the path breaking 4G experience for consumers.
This is due to its ability to deliver very fast data speeds in excess of 100Mb/s uplink and 50Mb/s downlink.
Group Chief Operating Officer of Globacom, Mr. Mohamed Jameel who unveiled the technology to newsmen in Lagos, at the Mike Adenuga Towers, headquarters of Globacom on Victoria Island, Lagos, said though people could already browse the Internet or send e-mails using HSPA-enabled systems or send and receive video, music using G-phones, the experience with LTE will be even better.
He added that the technology would further enhance more demanding applications like interactive TV, mobile video blogging, advanced games or professional services, enabling more Nigerians to be on top of their game and thereby ruling their world”, he added.
Meanwhile, Jameel noted that Globacom has already deployed the services on over 100 sites in Lagos alone, adding that “for our subscribers, LTE offers the key benefits of performance and capacity”.
There are over 24 networks in the world which have already adapted and launched 4G-LTE networks across the world and Globacom is expected to plug on the ubiquity of this technology to connect the demanding corporate customers and high data users from the latest 4G-LTE wireless broadband to Glo 1 and perhaps the rest of the world.
Jameel, however confessed that the company was being proactive in meeting the mobile broadband need of its growing subscriber base, bearing in mind that as the data dependence and applications grow, the need to deliver higher speeds on wireless would also continue to grow.
He disclosed that by 2012, an estimated 1.8 billion people worldwide will have access to broadband services and that nearly two-thirds of this number will be mobile broadband consumers who will be served by LTE networks.
For him, “Globacom is committed to bringing all such latest and best technologies available in the world to Nigeria”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/glo-launches-4g-lte-network/

I hope Glo knows what they are doing. The rush to announce technology deployment without working on the availability is not the best.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:26am On Jan 12, 2011
will glo allow one to buy the business package if one wants or u have to jump through hoops and be situated in a hig rise building first?

anyway constant 512/256 is pretty good, at least thats true 3G speeds
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 5:12pm On Jan 12, 2011

Glo unveils LTE network; last mile connectivity to follow

Globacom, Nigeria’s second national telecoms operator, has launched a Long Term Evolution (LTE) network, Nigerian Tribune reports. [b]Services will initially be available to corporate users in Lagos and other large cities for wireless backhaul, following on from an agreement signed with US vendor Ceragon Networks in September 2010 for the provision of high-capacity 4G/LTE-ready wireless backhaul solutions. Globacom said it will launch last mile connectivity for the LTE network in the near future, as soon as 4G-enabled phones and modems are made available in Nigeria. [/b]Commenting on the network launch, Globacom’s chief operating official, Mohamed Jameel, said: ‘[LTE] will further enhance more demanding applications like interactive TV, mobile video blogging, advanced games or professional services, enabling more Nigerians to be on top of their game and thereby ruling their world. For our subscribers, LTE offers the key benefits of performance and capacity.’

http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=35780&email=html

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 5:28pm On Jan 12, 2011
tomcat:

max on residential is 512/256 and they charge 12,000N + VAT

i have asked them many times for higher bandwidth but looks like their management is very rigid, and i get the idea that are very slow in reacting to the market and being flexible.

i think their phone number is 200 from glo mobile or try broadaccesscare@gloworld.com

what is the speed in terms of Mbps. sorry i do not understand 512/256
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 7:44pm On Jan 12, 2011
naijatoday:

what is the speed in terms of Mbps. sorry i do not understand 512/256

That is Kbps.

512 Kbps is half of 1 Mbps and 256 Kbps is a quarter.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 3:18am On Jan 13, 2011
lumzi23:

That is Kbps.

512 Kbps is half of 1 Mbps and 256 Kbps is a quarter.

To further break it down, 512 is your downlink speed and 256 is your upload speed.

However since the speeds are in kilobits - 512/256 kbps, i have converted them to kilobytes.

This gave me a downlink speed of 64 kilobytes and 32 kilobytes uplink respectively which is poor in my opinion

considering the amount you are paying per month.

I have an HSPA modem with a connection speed of 7.5 Mbps. That's mega bits per second. when converted to

kilobytes, i get 937.5 Kilobytes per second. I can confirm and you can check the internet screenshots thread but i

have reached upto speeds of 1.02MB (Megabyte) using IDM (Internet Download Manager) on MTN 3.5G network. My

normal average speed is above 350 Kilobytes per second. My only problem is the latency issue (300ms & above)

and network stability (it sometimes disconnects or hangs).

@tomcat

Could you please post a screenshot of your speed using speedtest and IDM ? Will really appreciate it.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 8:53am On Jan 13, 2011
agreed, speed is far lower than the 3g wireless solutions, however it all depends on what you are after,

i wanted no data limit, low ping, steady bandwidth with no ups and downs and end to end connectivity with fiber optic or copper.

As with all ADSL technologies sync speed is 512 and you get 83% of that, so you get 430kbits download speed and 224kbits upload speed.

Ping to london is between 110-120ms.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 10:05am On Jan 13, 2011
samir101ng:

To further break it down, 512 is your downlink speed and 256 is your upload speed.

However since the speeds are in kilobits - 512/256 kbps, i have converted them to kilobytes.

This gave me a downlink speed of 64 kilobytes and 32 kilobytes uplink respectively which is poor in my opinion

considering the amount you are paying per month.

I have an HSPA modem with a connection speed of 7.5 Mbps. That's mega bits per second. when converted to

kilobytes, i get 937.5 Kilobytes per second. I can confirm and you can check the internet screenshots thread but i

have reached upto speeds of 1.02MB (Megabyte) using IDM (Internet Download Manager) on MTN 3.5G network. My

normal average speed is above 350 Kilobytes per second. My only problem is the latency issue (300ms & above)

and network stability (it sometimes disconnects or hangs).

@tomcat

Could you please post a screenshot of your speed using speedtest and IDM ? Will really appreciate it.
There are some issues which you did not considered.

A 512/256 kbps DSL is far better than a HSDPA service provided by our telecoms operators

1. Your DSL service is a dedicated service while the other is shared.
2. The Latency for DSL is Lower
3. You can download ur entire MTN usage limit in less than 48 hours
4. Alternative technology for DSL in Nigeria is satllite which is far more expensive
in terms of installation and bandwidth prices.
5. Your dsl is always on, not dial up
6 HSDPA is optimised for mobile devices and will remain as such, sure we use them for most of our internet needs but we need other techs to bring about competitive pricing, so the need for DSL, cable and Fibre optics.

Also note that having a 7.2Mbps modem on the MTN network does not translate to better speed cos the bottle neck is 3.6 just as driving a buggatti veroyn on Benin-Lagos road cannot translate to better velocity on the road over a benz 220.

1 Like

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:42pm On Jan 13, 2011
pls help me explain give dem o, which kain 3.6Mbps/

even if u blind sef u go know say that 3.6 na wayo. hell on every mast the pple connected and using that mast at any point in time are sharing that supposed 3.6Mbps

so if una reach hundred at a time na 3.6/100 pple. do the maths.

of course in real time equivs u really may not notice cos of the Qos and the server doing the scheduling and all that but bottomline is u cannot and will not get anything stellar.

when using IDM as we are wont to use to do wayo intermittently on the speed thread, the thing more or less does multithreaded caching, so d speeds u see are like the speeds u got over say a 10 secs period.

on a dedicated line, even if na 56/24 kbps, i dey very sure say when u put IDM on it, ur speeds will top 1Mbps constant. 56kbps CONSTANT STREAM IS ACTUALLY BETTER THAN THE AVERGAE NAIJA HAS EVER SEEN!!

so a 512/256 dedicated connection with a latency of 110 ms on a round trip to london is like the fastest thing in nigeria for the end home consumer! FACT!

i see Glo has started their lies again, 4G ko, 100KG nii. when the 3G never make adequate sense. dem wan use dem fibre lie abt 4G
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 2:27pm On Jan 13, 2011
Djcn:

There are some issues which you did not considered.

A 512/256 kbps DSL is far better than a HSDPA service provided by our telecoms operators

1. [s]Your DSL service is a dedicated service while the other is shared.[/s] Does it really matter for the average user?
2. The Latency for DSL is Lower I don't play online games & it never has been an issue for me.
3. [s]You can download your entire MTN usage limit in less than 48 hours[/s] MTN Hynet is an unlimited option.
4. [s]Alternative technology for DSL in Nigeria is satllite which is far more expensive
in terms of installation and bandwidth prices.[/s] Wimax i believe is the better alternative. It's available in major cities.
5. Your dsl is always on, not dial up Seriously, the law of NEPA apllies here. Still not a major thing.
6 HSDPA is optimised for mobile devices and will remain as such, sure we use them for most of our internet needs but we need other techs to bring about competitive pricing, so the need for DSL, cable and Fibre optics.

Also note that having a 7.2Mbps modem on the MTN network does not translate to better speed cos the bottle neck is 3.6 just as driving a buggatti veroyn on Benin-Lagos road cannot translate to better velocity on the road over a benz 220.

@ Djcn,

HSDPA, Wimax and other wireless technologies are the way to go currently in the Nigerian environment especially when you want to bring your services to a wider consumer market. DSL, Cable and Fibre-optics are technologies that will take a long time, money and equipment to implement in the harsh Nigerian environment without basic infrastructure to support these technologies. That's why these technologies when implemented, their services are so expensive. Imagine paying N12,000 for a 512/256 kbps connection. Yes, its unlimited but many people cannot afford this especially when it doesn't suit their browsing pattern. I don't know where you guys got the figure of 3.6 Mbps as the maximum bandwidth for MTN. Just because MTN sells modems with a MAX connection speed of 3.6 Mbps doesn't mean other modems with larger bandwidth would not show an improvement. Many people with MTN's Huawei E156G modems cannot pass the 400KB/S mark.

4llerbuntu:

pls help me explain give dem o, which kain 3.6Mbps/

even if u blind sef u go know say that 3.6 na wayo. hell on every mast the pple connected and using that mast at any point in time are sharing that supposed 3.6Mbps

so if una reach hundred at a time na 3.6/100 pple. do the maths.

of course in real time equivs u really may not notice cos of the Qos and the server doing the scheduling and all that but bottomline is u cannot and will not get anything stellar.

when using IDM as we are wont to use to do wayo intermittently on the speed thread, the thing more or less does multithreaded caching, so d speeds u see are like the speeds u got over say a 10 secs period.

on a dedicated line, even if na 56/24 kbps, i dey very sure say when u put IDM on it, your speeds will top 1Mbps constant. 56kbps CONSTANT STREAM IS ACTUALLY BETTER THAN THE AVERGAE NAIJA HAS EVER SEEN!!

so a 512/256 dedicated connection with a latency of 110 ms on a round trip to london is like the fastest thing in nigeria for the end home consumer! FACT!

i see Glo has started their lies again, 4G ko, 100KG nii. when the 3G never make adequate sense. dem wan use dem fibre lie abt 4G

@ 4llerbuntu,

My brother this your assumption na wa o ! shocked shocked

How you take calculate am ? Abi, you also have glo broadaccess. I understand where you are coming from about the QoS and Bandwidth (Dedicated & Shared). However, let us call a spade a spade. I don't see anything advanced or superior about the glo ADSL broad access with the current package tomcat has of 512/256 kbps at N12000 a month. It's only advantage which i concede is that's its ADSL. Therefore, it has certain unique advantages. But those advantages are moot if they don't have a significant impact on the browsing experience of the consumer.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 2:50pm On Jan 14, 2011
Knowing Glo, this LTE thing either won't work well or will not significantly improve users browsing experience. browsing with Glo modemd since the advent of the Glo1 has not improved significantly here in Ph. On the other hand, the minute MTN signed up to Main1 cable, there were noticable improvements reported across the country.

Glo seem to have ahabit of jumping the gun just for the sake of touting themselves to be ", first to, ", while MTN would rather take their time and deliver a better product/service. For me MTN offers the best 3G service currently. Period!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by seunlayi(m): 11:24pm On Jan 25, 2011
Glo is not serious. How many town can you find their 3g?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Nobody: 1:07am On Jan 31, 2011
submarine cable shocked shocked, fish no go chop am?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by DisGuy: 8:06am On Jan 31, 2011
no be only fish go chop am, mami water sef go join inside

if mami water no fit chop am dem go enter inside the broadband come catch you from inside laptop o

ask your pastor for guidance tongue
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:34pm On Feb 02, 2011
l am offering the cheapest and most effective system browsing price in terms of indian web proxy which enables you to download whatever!
u need to download with 18G every month
the price is affordable (N2,000)
PM ME or call 08036619224,08091790616
, this means u can update ur anti virus,chat 24/7
yahoo messenger,Gmail,yahoo,facebook,download unlimited!!!!!!!!!!
18G! 4 just N2000
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 12:29am On Feb 10, 2011
Any new news on this?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 12:57am On Feb 12, 2011
Well as usual Glo wahala don start again.

Users from across the country are complaining of not being connected to the internet on the glo network.

I have also experienced this on 2 different modems including the official glo modem. It just refuses to connect to the network. If they are having a scheduled upgrade or maintenance they should at least have the courtesy to send a text message to their users abi somebody sabotage glo 1 for sea ?? shocked shocked
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 3:32am On Feb 12, 2011
Glo needs to get their act together.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 8:27am On Feb 12, 2011
Its on their website

Public Announcement

The management of Globacom Limited wishes to inform the general public that due to a fire incident which occurred at one of our key installations in Lagos on Thursday night, there has been a temporary disruption in services.
The fire incident has since been brought under control and all efforts have been initiated to quickly restore services.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused our valued customers.

We thank you all for your understanding and support.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:46pm On Feb 12, 2011
WHAT IS IT,THAT YOU CANNOT DOWNLOAD WITH OUR "GREEDY" SERVICE PROVIDERS?
HERE IS 18G FOR JUST N2,000!!!
UPDATE ANTI VIRUS,SOFTWARES
OPEN ALL SECURED SITE LIKE YAHOO,GMAIL,LIBERTY RESERVE,FACEBOOK,YAHOO MESSENGER
DOWNLOAD FULL MOVIE,MUSICS,GAMES ETC
18G EVERY MONTH!! ALL THE WAY, INDAIN WEB PROXY
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 8:38am On Feb 14, 2011
Glo's service has been shitty for months now, especially it's internet and more especially in the South East. I have had to abandon my Glo modem for MTN. Can't wait for Etisalat to roll out its 3G and provide more options. Does Airtel even have 3G? All I ever get on my phone in Ph is Edge.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 9:01am On Jun 02, 2011
A list of Glo 1 clients

A spokesman for the company disclosed this following the recent signing of an agreement between it and an oil firm. Some of the companies are PCCW, Airtel Ghana, Airtel Nigeria, C&W (Nigeria & Ghana operations), IPNX, Swift Networks, Shell, TotalElf, Chevron, United Bank for Africa, FinBank, Nigerian Bottling plc, P&G, and almost all the major media companies.

I know Swift and IPNX are also on Main One, but I don't know which is cheaper? Last I heard, Glo was undercutting Main One by 25%. Does anyone have the cost of bandwidth on both cables?

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/markets/companies-and-market/22439-glo-1-signs-on-companies-across-industry-segments

http://www.mainonecable.com/clients.php
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by EPOMA(m): 10:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
Lets hope the impact is felt on the network for the end users
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by DisGuy: 10:26pm On Jun 02, 2011
No broadband yet?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 11:00pm On Jul 08, 2011
I know someone has mentioned somewhere that MTN is also laying fibre across the country but this is the first time I am hearing MTN say it themselves. More below:

http://www.mtnonline.com/about-mtn/corporate-information Scroll to the bottom of the link to see the quote below.

In addition, MTN also embarked on the deployment of fibre optic cables across the country to boost the transmission capacity on its network and as at October 2010, a total of 8,052 kilometres had been covered. This makes it the longest Fibre-optic cable ever laid in Africa and definitely one of the most modern.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by whatalife: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2011
glo just launch 3g service here in lokoja, did a speed test on their network , i download 25mb in 1min 32 secs @ 789KBps.
Please those who been using glo 3g service ,is this speed fair? i run cafe just thinking of switching to it
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 9:34pm On Jul 20, 2011
whatalife:

glo just launch 3g service here in lokoja, did a speed test on their network , i download 25mb in 1min 32 secs @ 789KBps.
Please those who been using glo 3g service ,is this speed fair? i run cafe just thinking of switching to it

what I get is 1gbps, sometimes up to 2gbps

welcome to the world, enjoy!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by denzel2009: 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2011
goggs:

what I get is 1gbps, sometimes up to 2gbps

welcome to the world, enjoy!

For you to get that speed, they must have connected the fibre optics cable directly to your laptop.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by whatalife: 4:42pm On Jul 21, 2011
@goggs,
I have being on vsat for 6 years the best i ever achieved is 90KBps now is over 700 KBps at night the thing is downloading @ 1.6MBps
Unbelievable
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 8:50pm On Jul 21, 2011
denzel2009:

For you to get that speed, they must have connected the fibre optics cable directly to your laptop.

whatalife:

@goggs,
I have being on vsat for 6 years the best i ever achieved is 90KBps now is over 700 KBps at night the thing is downloading @ 1.6MBps
Unbelievable

2gbps with a small gb not GB. Do the conversion its approximately 250KBps
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 24, 2011
Most people confuse it. kbps is different from kBps.
In lokoja, glo speed is approximately 2kbps to 2.4kbps all through the day which is about 236kBps to 260kBps.
It is amazingly fast.
Reminded me of Ibadan where i lodged in a hotel in feb 2010, i downloaded at speeds of 260kBps with multilinks cdma rev
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:22pm On Jul 24, 2011
EMMAACHILE:

Most people confuse it. kbps is different from kBps.
In lokoja, glo speed is approximately 2kbps to 2.4kbps[b][/b] all through the day which is about 236kBps to 260kBps.
It is amazingly fast.
Reminded me of Ibadan where i lodged in a hotel in feb 2010, i downloaded at speeds of 260kBps with multilinks cdma rev

Yea one CAN easily get confused.

I think you meant 2gbps to 2.4 gbps all through the day,

Had to check my own post severally to make sure, lipsrsealed

Bottom line is that glo has improved. Strangely they talk less these days. May be this (less talk) gave them time to concentrate on their network.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.