Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,189 members, 7,839,042 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55376 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 8:13am On Nov 11, 2010
lumzi23:

I have to admit, that N7,500 for 6 Gigs sounds good. Seems like they are really trying to compete with MTN which can only mean good things. However what I want to know is how it compares to MTN in terms speed, performance and relaibilty. Also, I wish there was some way to know if my location is covered by their HSDPA service.

if you have a 3g modem, unlock it so you can use both mtn and glo, charge each sim card with 500N and check the quality of service in your area for yourself, noone can tell you about the quality of service unless he/she lives next door to you,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 8:18am On Nov 11, 2010
All these their revised data plans still don't make sense to me.

. . . . . . .till they gimme 3k for like ermmmmmm. . . .20GB or beta still unlimited download. . . . . I just have to keep on going thru' the tunnel.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 8:50am On Nov 11, 2010
i have been impressed with MTN 3G's service lately. videos stream smoothly, connection stays for the duration you're connected and speed is really good. mainone submarine cable is really the main thing!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 9:43am On Nov 11, 2010
i have HSDPA with mtn in my area but the videos still dont stream non-stop, i think i'll get a glo sim and check them out since i've unlocked my modem sha. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Brando1(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2010
glo just keeps falling my hand, was at their office yesterday, after about a week of my modem dropping connection like a kid wif epilepsy playing wif wet soap. and do you know their solution? to move from WCDMA to GSM only, can you imagine!
omo that their new tariff for 7500 go tey der o, especially in Abuja.
mtn rules never thot I'd say that, but its the truth.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:25am On Nov 11, 2010
Brando!:

glo just keeps falling my hand, was at their office yesterday, after about a week of my modem dropping connection like a kid wif epilepsy playing wif wet soap. and do you know their solution? to move from WCDMA to GSM only, can you imagine!
omo that their new tariff for 7500 go tey der o, especially in Abuja.
mtn rules never thot I'd say that, but its the truth.

I have found out that moving from 3g to GSM on the modem helps wit dropped connections. The trade off is the speed. Normally when connections begin to drop, i reach for mtn. Switching connections only makes sense for phone browsing and its just bearable. In abuja city center, had to switch to gsm to make this post. Wish my mtn modem were here.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 6:05am On Nov 12, 2010
MTN 8k for 5gig, 1600 per gig

Glo 7.5k for 6gig, 1250 per gig

2010 should ve recorded at least 1000 per gig

Expect price slash again in twelve months time.

What is Bharti n Etisalat even doing?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 10:34am On Nov 15, 2010
Djcn:

MTN 8k for 5gig, 1600 per gig

Glo 7.5k for 6gig, 1250 per gig

2010 should ve recorded at least 1000 per gig

Expect price slash again in twelve months time.

What is Bharti n Etisalat even doing?

Bharti (zain) go soon die, mark my words. Etisalat seems to be suffering from not having a 3G license of their own. Etisalat needs to find a way quick cos by 2011 Glo and MTn will leave them behind in terms of speed once Glo1 and Main1 stabilise. Internet is becoming as big a cash cow as voice or text. It's where the money is now.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:43pm On Nov 15, 2010
nope, etisalat bought Alheri's (dangote) 3g licence last year or was it early this year, so they have a 3g license

rolling out a 3g network no be beans, esp when that level is about to become old tech. the world is shifting to 4G

guess they are at a cross roads, do a 3g network that will take like a year or two to complete, by then the competition is announcing 4G trials and rollout!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 3:17pm On Nov 15, 2010
it looks like etisalat is going to face some tough choices in the coming months and years ahead. Or can they carve a nitch as a superior voice only network? (with slower data connection of all networks). There are a lot of people who use phones for voice only or with very little data usage.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 5:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
They (etisalat) had beta bring out their 3.5G and stop wasting time. . . . . . cos dis data market is becoming sumtin else and I believe dat theirs will be the best if and when it is lauched.

Maybe they are thinking of lauching 4G straight like their older sister coy in the Emirates is doing.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 7:42pm On Nov 15, 2010
4llerbuntu:

nope, etisalat bought Alheri's (dangote) 3g licence last year or was it early this year, so they have a 3g license

rolling out a 3g network no be beans, esp when that level is about to become old tech. the world is shifting to 4G

guess they are at a cross roads, do a 3g network that will take like a year or two to complete, by then the competition is announcing 4G trials and rollout!

Alheri got that license over 3 years now and left it to rot, but both parties ve not made any official statements on that issue otherwise if etisalat actually bought, they would ve rolled out the services by now, i think the news has been on for over a year now.

Etisalat never bid for a 3g license which they would ve gotten from NCC if they did, hope they can catch up in d game because the samsung galaxy would have make more sense on d 3g platform
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Almuhandis: 9:06am On Nov 18, 2010
cool glo is shooting herself in the foot,not with their poor cs guys and their poor data offers.damn glo-one had so much hope in them, how i wish we could kick mtn out
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by atunbi1(m): 5:20am On Nov 19, 2010
All my expert people, with my 15 - 20k a month budget abeg which internet or broadband go really give me better enjoyment. Cobranet is really fast, and works but I have to do night browsing (see time of this post for example lol) to enjoy am, because the 5gb limit is really a JOKE, I would prefer unlimited bandwith for that budget for at least 15 gig or something.

Please let me know,

Thanks.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2010
Hi Guys grin,

Just received this text message on my glo line and wanted to share it with you,

Glo launches Glo 3G- HP bundled laptop for N34,000. Pay N62,500 ;Get HP laptop & cash back of N28,500 in form of 3 months free internet and free Eset Antivirus for 1 year. Visit Gloworld to get your bundled laptop. Offer till stocks last

So, what do you think about the promo ?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 6:01am On Nov 24, 2010
Is anyone else having problems with their MTN internet? I am. It is always switching from HSDPA to EDGE and when it does, it freezes (as in stops working), forcing me to stop the connection and restart again. This is especially annoying when I am trying to watch a video or something like that. I am getting frustrated and I might even switch to Glo if these people are not careful.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2010
lumzi23:

Is anyone else having problems with their MTN internet? I am. It is always switching from HSDPA to EDGE and when it does, it freezes (as in stops working), forcing me to stop the connection and restart again. This is especially annoying when I am trying to watch a video or something like that. I am getting frustrated and I might even switch to Glo if these people are not careful.

Ha!!!!!! Bros I beg, don't switch to Glo oh!! Except you are very sure Glo is working well where you are? I have used both of them in PH, Ibadan, lekki, Festac, Anthony village etc and all said and done, I have come to the conclusion that MTN offers the best 3G service in Nigeria. I have had a Glo modem for over a year now and it's been a year of woe. Right now i'm browsing with MTN, but my Glo refuses to connect or it connects and keeps dropping off!!

Stay away from Glo!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 8:40pm On Nov 28, 2010
COMPAQ:

Ha!!!!!! Bros I beg, don't switch to Glo oh!! Except you are very sure Glo is working well where you are? I have used both of them in PH, Ibadan, lekki, Festac, Anthony village etc and all said and done, I have come to the conclusion that MTN offers the best 3G service in Nigeria. I have had a Glo modem for over a year now and it's been a year of woe. Right now i'm browsing with MTN, but my Glo refuses to connect or it connects and keeps dropping off!!

Stay away from Glo!!

Yeah, the MTN problem has stopped and it is working fine now.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 11:25pm On Nov 30, 2010
Etisalat did buy Dangote Group’s Alheri license. The CEO stated this in the interview with Vanguard.

They are already planning the roll, Glo and MTN should be worried.

How are you positioning Etisalat against the broadband boom scenario you painted?
We have purchased 3G licence off the Dangote Group’s Alheri and now, we are rolling out 3G networks. That is the big thing. In the next two years we will have rolled out 3G networks to cover greater percentage of the population especially in urban areas and the remaining cities.

We have been rolling out 3G networks to start offering 3G services, the highest broadband services which 3G can deliver.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/it%E2%80%99s-waste-of-money-duplicating-sim-registration-process-etisalat-boss/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+vanguardngr%2FdIeb+%28Vanguard+News+Feed%29
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 5:40am On Dec 03, 2010
naijatoday:

Etisalat did buy Dangote Group’s Alheri license. The CEO stated this in the interview with Vanguard.

They are already planning the roll, Glo and MTN should be worried.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/it%E2%80%99s-waste-of-money-duplicating-sim-registration-process-etisalat-boss/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+vanguardngr%2FdIeb+%28Vanguard+News+Feed%29

At least, we've an official statement on the issue. Etisalat did not only buy the licence but the firm which has the licence which is Alheri Mobile Services Ltd. They will be rolling out in Lag, Abj and PH soon.

Good news also fron Airtel as they crashed call prices to 20k/s after a first minute call of 60k/s, who follows?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 8:39am On Dec 03, 2010
Is it really much of a reduction by Airtel? I guess they have figured that the average conversation is about 2 minutes. The blended effect of 60k/sec for 1 minute and 20k/sec for 1 minute results in N24/min which isn't much lower than current rates.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 6:28pm On Dec 03, 2010
ouch! Caught in the act!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 7:46pm On Dec 03, 2010
COMPAQ:

Is it really much of a reduction by Airtel? I guess they have figured that the average conversation is about 2 minutes. The blended effect of 60k/sec for 1 minute and 20k/sec for 1 minute results in N24/min which isn't much lower than current rates.

ya, only beneficial if you call for above 5 mins daily, anyway still the best bargain out there,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by snoopy(m): 10:27pm On Dec 04, 2010
COMPAQ:

you probably didnt get the information correctly. Its 60k/sec for the first minute call of the day and not the first minute of every call made. I use airtel and since this package was launched and i've withnessed first-hand, the benefits, i can only deduce that the good times are here at last!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 6:23pm On Dec 05, 2010
Airtel-Ng is making a step in the right direction by reducing their call rates and Blackberry Internet Service. What they are doing is nothing new but just adjusting to their competitors (Etisalat & Glo). What Airtel needs to do next is also to reduce the price of their data plans and increase their 3G network coverage. Airtel has a lot of subscribers just that they migrated to other networks because of their lack luster performance over the years. They should be taking intiatives and not responding to the competition.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 11:24pm On Dec 05, 2010
^them no fit even put up a proper page, the columns for data limit and price are mislabeled. . .smh
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 12:16am On Dec 06, 2010
. . . . .cool down nahh!!!!!!. . . . . . U don already begin to dey find fault wit them. undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:47am On Dec 06, 2010
puskin:

. . . . .cool down nahh!!!!!!. . . . . . U don already begin to dey find fault wit them. undecided

lol. . .they're the only network i use o, but that doesn't mean that i should ignore stupid stuff now. . .negligience shouldn't be tolerated, how dem go mess up on their website? so means no one reviews the thing abi?. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 4:21am On Dec 06, 2010
At least, they are trying. U should see some of the ISP's websites in Nigeria. You would think a 100 level computer science student wrote it while high on garri  grin grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 4:24am On Dec 06, 2010
Has anyone seen the new MTN advert of their Tele-presence service (powered by Cisco) ? You can see MTN is already rushing ahead to make use of the Main-One cable while Glo are still twiddling their thumbs. I can't wait for MTN to finish UNN's wireless network with fibre-optic backbone.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 4:40am On Dec 06, 2010
huh!!!!!!!. . . . . .dat advert has been there for some time now.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 4:51am On Dec 06, 2010
eehhhh !!! So, where is glo's own ?

Why do these guy's always want to come last when rolling out a product especially if you have it first ?

Infact, can anybody point us to a link where somebody has signed up on the glo-1 cable ? If you check Main-one's website you can see a list of their clients but am yet to see or hear about glo-1.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.