Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55212 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 8:20pm On Nov 17, 2009
I think the logical thing to do at this point is forget about Glo-1. I will just look towards June 2010 and the lighting up of main-1. Anything that happens before that will just be a pleasant suprise.
This Funke woman seems serious, the interviews I have seen, and all I have read point towards this thing being delivered on time. Their website actually has updates on progress, bar charts people, BAR CHARTS!!!

http://mainonecable.com/project_room.html
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:30pm On Nov 18, 2009
@ jdoss

i feel u man. i have given up on glo for the glo1 cable. On this one its seeing is believing. Main One is less secretive
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 2:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
goggs:

@ jdoss

i feel u man. i have given up on glo for the glo1 cable. On this one its seeing is believing. Main One is less secretive

abi o. . .if not for tomcat we for don dey believe that the cable work don finish, and na only administrative work remain. . .glo na just one big scam, they're slowly losing that semi-exclusive period they'll have with all this their mago mago
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by experto: 5:12pm On Nov 24, 2009
tomcat:

the cable is still not connected,
So when the cable from lagos reaches accra will go live both to ghana and nija
estimated time end of this year

Thanks "tomcat" for the update.

It was reported yesterday in http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=3874

that Globacom is now set to launch its Glo Broad Access service, and it will allow subscribers to use the same dedicated Glo fixed line in their homes and offices for voice call, internet connection, video conferencing and cable television.

Anyone has an idea when Glo fixed line will be available or is it available in some cities or area?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:25pm On Nov 24, 2009
that 1 na confirmed lie jare, which kain voip, cable tv, haba shey una think say we be mugun? i gree say the 3g is quite ok but dem neva get capability for all dat 1 abeg, and even when they are ready it will be only lagos and abj as usual
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2009
Haba Glo, Why announce a service when it is not ready. Glo broadband is not yet ready. Read the report, they say it will be launched soon. its the same thing with Glo 1. It was not ready when they announced it. do a speedtest and no matter where you are in Nigeria you will see that their access is through Intelsat in Lagos. It simply means that Glo 1 is yet to be up and running since the media hoopla. Now its Glo broadband, and they say they are now SET to launch the service. Why not delay the announcement till they are really ready.

And our lazy Journalist will not ask tough questions, just repeat what the Glo people spew out. Check out, virtually all newspapers are saying the same thing copying verbatim what Glo says. Nobody is holding them to account for their word, and they are good at using superlative terms in describing their capabilities (world class, state of the art, the best, magical digital(whatever that means)).  What we want is service, good service and not these empty talk!!!!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by stanloski(m): 11:30pm On Nov 24, 2009
I think they may be right THIS TIME. One of their staff working on the project confirmed launch will be by year end, test run is on right now. He promised to give me his modem to try.

When i asked him on the speed he simply said we can get video streaming (says it all i guess) he also warned that it wont be too good from the get go. (honest chap) I think glo would rush to roll out before mail-1 lands cos it will bring competition. I also hear two more cables are coming within the next two yrs. Lets just be patient, we've waited ages! wats a few months?
As for those 'stories' and "reports" they are actually press releases by glo. Our journalists often dont disclose that wat they are publishing is a release. Dont mind the comedians! company calls them together, shares coke and brown envelopes and sends them on their merry way
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 7:19am On Nov 25, 2009
@stanloski

Thanks for the info, would it be possible to find out from this guy how exactly broad access will work. If he is saying he will give you his modem, that must mean it is a wireless solution. Will it be based on Their GSM technology? What exactly will the wireless protocol be for data delivery? Also, could you ask if they are planning to go wired down the road. Thanks.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by stanloski(m): 8:25am On Nov 25, 2009
I checked their website and the description am seeing there sounds like wired o! They even have tariffs and all. I will confirm frm the chap.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2009
you cannot get genuine broadband OTA, it must be wired, no let mtn deceive una oooo! and starcomms infact all of dem, wayo pple
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by experto: 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2009
stanloski:

One of their staff working on the project confirmed launch will be by year end, test run is on right now. He promised to give me his modem to try.

Stanloski have you lay your hands on the Glo-1 modem yet? Can you provide more info as regards the modem type or other termination devices.

I hope it is not wireless modem like the Glo 3G Plus modem, a Huawei E160G showcased at the Lagos Trade Fair few days ago, or is it?
Has anyone tried this modem outside Lagos Abuja and PH?

If launching is end of year, now its 3 weeks to Xmas, Test run should be almost done.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 1:02am On Dec 02, 2009
fingers crossed***
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by cecegorz(m): 2:11pm On Dec 04, 2009
stanloski:

As for those 'stories' and "reports" they are actually press releases by glo. Our journalists often dont disclose that wat they are publishing is a release. Dont mind the comedians! company calls them together, shares coke and brown envelopes and sends them on their merry way

You are just spot on, bro.

It beats me hollow how these telecom crooks companies keep bombarding us everyday with broadband internet advert when there is no single fibre link in the country while all they actually do is dial up and OTA(over the air). Imagine to play a simple 3mins video from the net, you will spend 20mins buffering the data.

For a lay man, the way a broadband carries packets can be likened to a 20-lane express way, imagine the number of lorries, cars, bikes, et all that can be moving freely, and at top speed compared to a 2-lane express way(dial up and OTA). That is why you can do heavy voice, data, video, seamlessly at the same time over broadband.

What our guys do is just like patching up the pot holes on the 2-lane express, painting them black and white and then, invite the journalists to say they have built a 20-lane road      Typical of our politicians, u may say.

Apart from criticizing government, our journalists need to read and acquaint themselves with relevant information regarding the beats they cover inorder to safe guard the consumers from these excessive-profit driven capitalists.

By the way, i heard there is an agency called Consumer Protection Agency. Are they dead, or just plain dumb like their pen pushing brothers They should stop these guys from reaping where they did not sow.

I repeat, no single company in Nigeria today, uses Broadband! Its all LIES, LIES and LIES.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by chi9ja(f): 2:49am On Dec 10, 2009
bumping 4 more info
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 8:46am On Mar 20, 2010
if you happen to pass around ikoyi you will see some of the roads are dug in order for the Glo to pass their cable for fixed telephony-internet,

there is a also a cable that was running out of kingsway road towards 3rd mainland but i see that this has been stopped.

so that means the project is very much live and kicking,

not so sure if Glo-1 is live yet or not, but definitely the infastracture/last mile within Ikoyi is happening,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by sauwal: 11:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
I saw them laying fiber optic cables in the north-eastern part of the country last week,may be its part of the preparations for the launching of glo1
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:35am On Mar 23, 2010
Which yeye fibreoptic cable? Abeg we no dey chop dt one abeg. That company is made up of pathological liars. And maybe u guys are staff of glo or just sympathetic 2 d dumb naija coy cause. They are lying. That thing is probably not even in naija yet. Tseew
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 8:44pm On Mar 23, 2010
ok Glo said late last year september commercial launch will be in six weeks (thats around October/November) it didnt happen. Then the goal post was shifted to end of the year. In january 2010 nothing has changed. We are turning the corner of first quarter 2010, no story from Glo. Not even a wimper on Glo 1, Glo Fix, or anything close to the spectacular picture they were painting.

Dont get me wrong, i like Glo but despise their lies and hypes. In Ghana they have been saying so much about their launch that the Ghanian communications minister has goofed several times after he echoed their promised.

With glo, its best we watch and pray!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by sauwal: 3:43pm On Mar 24, 2010
@goggs
They have been runings ads on NTA news on glo1 for the past 2weeks,may be they are about to commision it.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 7:22pm On Mar 24, 2010
yea. I know and i hope so.

I Remember one cute advert on their fiber cable some 2 years back. It ran so often that my 7 year old kid brother could recite the words from start to finish.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 11:12pm On Apr 10, 2010
For GSM, CDMA, Wimax operators and ISPs, Glo 1 offers extremely attractive prices on both short and long term basis.

* Attractive rates and long term partnerships resulting in enhanced profitability for the customer through flexible terms of contracts tailor made for the customer type and requirement.
    * Globacom's extensive terrestrial network in West Africa enables Glo-1 to give end to end connectivity including last mile, thus providing a One stop Shop for customers requirements.

http://www.gloworld.com/Nigeria/Content/Details/566

At least now we know they plan on selling the bandwidth to direct competitors.

Bump.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by sauwal: 10:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
The glo1 advert is now being run on CNN daily i wonder when it will come live.do anybody in d house have a contact at glo HQ's to confirm the commisioning date?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 11:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
the cable never enter 9ja. na only the landing station dem don build.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 8:39pm On May 01, 2010
Any news on this topic?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:17pm On May 06, 2010
Glo = Pathological liars
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 11:16am On May 18, 2010
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 7:26pm On May 26, 2010
There's also another submarine cable called WACS (different from WASC) which is being brought to Nigeria by MTN and a bunch of other South African companies.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 10:00pm On May 27, 2010
For glo 1
Let's see what June 21 holds, we're expecting a press conference from Globacom's Chief operating Officer.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:42am On May 28, 2010
hmmnmnn, na today? story story
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2010
Djcn: Tell me more about this june 21 conference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.