Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55228 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:36pm On Jul 06, 2010
@ netotse, i swear to GOD, me sef just surprise!!

well maybe because am on my ubuntu box, no windows wahala for me. right now am watching DR WHO on BBC IPlayer, streaming in chromium! (note not chrome!!!

for some reason chromium works better for me than straight up google chrome
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 1:23am On Jul 09, 2010
Another press release from Globacom on Glo-1. Not something I will take seriously. maybe they decided to release the statement since Main-one is getting all the attention.

Glo 1 Submarine Cable Ready for Inauguration

The Glo 1 submarine optic fibre cable built by telecoms giant, Globacom, is now ready for commissioning.
A statement made available to THISDAY by the Office of Globacom's Group Chief Operating Officer, Mohamed Jameel, disclosed that Globacom will begin the commissioning process by mid July with a meeting with the different key stakeholders to present Glo 1 and its benefits to them before the official launch. The statement added that the end-to-end testing of the Glo 1 facilities conducted in London, the United Kingdom, and Lagos, Nigeria, was hugely successful.

The statement described the successful completion of the Glo 1 submarine optic fibre cable at the Nigerian and United Kingdom end as not only a pride of Nigerian enterprise but also a giant stride by West Africa in its quest to bridge the digital divide between the sub-continent and the rest of the world.
According to the statement, Glo 1 is tagged as the most advanced, reliable, guaranteed, customised and cost-effective solution to West Africa's voice, internet and bulk data requirements.

"One of the biggest, unique advantages of Glo 1 is its sole ownership which allows it to ride on the infrastructure of Globacom, Nigeria's, and perhaps West Africa's, most integrated telecommunication company.
The over 9,800 km submarine cable which has 16 landing points in Europe, North and West Africa has been integrated with the over 10,000 km nationwide optic fibre cable of Globacom. This means Nigerians from wherever they are can now enjoy ultra fast internet services and reliable download and upload of data from anywhere in the world once Glo 1 is commissioned", said the statement.

The statement further listed the benefits that will accrue to the nation and the citizenry to include 99.9% up time reliability and high speed data, voice and video connectivity that will meet and support the large bandwidth requirements of direct consumers and other service providers.
"Glo 1 will provide the needed opportunity for West African countries and indeed Africa to leap forward economically through an excellent communication network and a cost effective voice, data, video and e-commerce services across Africa, Europe and rest of the world", said the statement.

Glo is also planning to set up a Level 3 centre Data Centre with 75,000 square feet space to offer disaster recovery services, the first operator to do so in Nigeria. Data centres can be connected to each other using Glo 1 for disaster recovery across the globe.
Other services that Glo 1 will offer include telemedicine and seamless video conferencing. With the facility, medical information can be transferred through interactive audiovisual media. Remote medical procedures or examinations will therefore be possible. “Glo 1 will aid on-line diagnosis and video conferencing during surgery and research, while distance learning will be made easy by enabling a class of students and lecturers in West Africa to participate in a real time class in Europe, America and any other part of the world,” Globacom explained.

Glo 1 will also facilitate premium video conferencing between multiple locations across the country and the West African region, thus reducing operational cost incurred in traveling by corporate organisations.

It will improve e-governance in areas such as online insurance and licence issuance and other government papers as well as boost entertainment and banking industries. It will also enable the establishment of effective and efficient call centers across the nation.

Among those who will benefit immensely from the commissioning of Glo 1 are Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Telecom Carriers, Telecom Operators, Network Integrators, big corporate organisations such as banks, insurance companies, oil & gas companies, the print and electronic media, the regulatory authorities, policy makers, governments at the federal, state and local government levels and the general public.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=177798
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 10:08am On Jul 09, 2010
glo should stop disturbing us with their useless press releases and get to work.
meanwhile their 3G service is a big disaster.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:37pm On Jul 09, 2010
Did anyone notice that Glo didn't give a definite date for commercial launch? Why meet stake holders now when the cable is about to be lit (as Glo claims). I thought that this ought to have taken place some 4 - 8 months before launch and then bring subscribers on board at the point of launch.

Doesn't Glo realise that data access are long term contracts and if an ISP is to use them (glo), the ISP needs to plan AHEAD of time to disengage current providers and switch to them. Anyway Zain, Etisalat, Starcoms have all confirmed they are on Main One, Who else is left? MultiLinks are shareholders in SAT 3 (courtesy of Telkom) and may not use Glo save for redundancies/backup, MTN is going through suburban in Togo. Anyone of any other significance will be NITEL (assuming its sold without SAT 3), Zoom (how many customers have they?), Visafone, other smaller ISPs and Multi nationals.

PS. is it just me? Why do Glo love this self praise sef, I wish they can just stick to definitive information and datelines like Main One did and let their service do the talking.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2010
no worry, by 2020 when dey launch the thing and it actually starts working, only dem go dey use am, so dem go fit dey sell una 1 terabyte modems so una go fit dey use the bandwidth grin grin grin grin grin grin

look on the bright side, at least maybe with all that excess bandwidth, they may be the first to lift all this fair usage crap grin grin grin grin grin

PS: am very sure that cable is still in trinidad & tobago or egypt sef. TSEEWWWW
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 4:14pm On Jul 10, 2010
goggs:

Did anyone notice that Glo didn't give a definite date for commercial launch? Why meet stake holders now when the cable is about to be lit (as Glo claims). I thought that this ought to have taken place some 4 - 8 months before launch and then bring subscribers on board at the point of launch.

Doesn't Glo realise that data access are long term contracts and if an ISP is to use them (glo), the ISP needs to plan AHEAD of time to disengage current providers and switch to them. Anyway Zain, Etisalat, Starcoms have all confirmed they are on Main One, Who else is left? MultiLinks are shareholders in SAT 3 (courtesy of Telkom) and may not use Glo save for redundancies/backup, MTN is going through suburban in Togo. Anyone of any other significance will be NITEL (assuming its sold without SAT 3), Zoom (how many customers have they?), Visafone, other smaller ISPs and Multi nationals.

PS. is it just me? Why do Glo love this self praise sef, I wish they can just stick to definitive information and datelines like Main One did and let their service do the talking.

I might be wrong but i do not think Glo plans to sell directly to telecom companies in Nigeria (for now)
Even Main one self, it will take time before starcoms, zain, etc offer the service to the public.

Nigeria and their gra gra press release
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 5:12pm On Jul 10, 2010
@naijatoday

They might have no other choice but to sell to other telecoms companies and ISPs. I read somewhere that they intend on having the entire 640Gbps lit on day one. That is entirely too much bandwidth to have sitting idle(I would search for the article to link it, but this is Glo and it was probably a lie anyway).
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 10:58am On Jul 11, 2010
Mohamed Jameel, the Chief Operating Officer of Globacom told journalists last week after a meeting of operators and the Nigerian Communications Commission that Glo-1 had just finished undergoing some testing work.

"The Glo-1 submarine cable has been undergoing some testing work, which we just concluded. We would be due to begin operations in four weeks time or before the end of August 2010," Mr. Jameel said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5592225-147/infrastructure_challenges_limit_internet_service_.csp
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2010
Djcn:

Mohamed Jameel, the Chief Operating Officer of Globacom told journalists last week after a meeting of operators and the Nigerian Communications Commission that Glo-1 had just finished undergoing some testing work.

"The Glo-1 submarine cable has been undergoing some testing work, which we just concluded. We would be due to begin operations when Jesus comes," Mr. Jameel said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5592225-147/infrastructure_challenges_limit_internet_service_.csp

grin grin grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Djcn. glo 1 is being tested? i will believe them when their crappy 3G service improves.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by n3rve(m): 4:33pm On Jul 11, 2010
About to get an iPhone 3GS, and I've been thinking of what I'd do 'cos I love MTN in my BlackBerry and I hate Glo for their ugly service, but if Glo1 goes live soon, great smiley
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:19pm On Jul 11, 2010

"The Glo-1 submarine cable has been undergoing some testing work, which we just concluded. We would be due to begin operations i[b]n four weeks time or before the end of August 2010[/b]," Mr. Jameel said.

so much for shifting goal post. Even the CEO is not sure when they will launch!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Maleeq(m): 3:08pm On Jul 12, 2010
flyuche:

@Djcn. glo 1 is being tested? i will believe them when their crappy 3G service improves.

I am with you on that.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by etae(m): 8:32am On Jul 15, 2010
for avoidance of doubt, i will rather believe saddam hussein was a woman, than believe that Zain nigeria is capable of such feats, in any form whatsoever

Cant stop laughing* smiley
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 5:02pm On Jul 15, 2010
flyuche:

I was actually in glo office to make complains about their 3g service. They acknowledge the fact and said they're currently working on it tho no immediate results.
The truth is that main one is yet to start offering their bandwidth as i went to their office to discuss purchases. I strongly believe that glo will come out strong, as there is always a threshold period.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 6:38pm On Jul 15, 2010
i use glo just out of patriotism. i have a glo contract line and i have tried the 3G service several times, i like the package though, but i was always disappointed. lost confidence in them.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:51pm On Jul 15, 2010
na wah o, funny thing is the 3g used to be really ok. see where stinginess has landed dem, they will be shining eye to block fbt, upon say no fbt for dem network see the nonsense service!!!

Zain is particularly atrocious these days. sigh!!! na wah o.

MTN well u really cant complain, they just go mad ever so often, then work well for hour again. at least dem dey help boiz small wink wink wink wink

this is why i find nigerian business logic ridiculous at times. i was reading the papers like 2 weeks ago, and saw CDMA coys declaring losses and hard times. i found it unbelievable. how can? they should be the ones controlling the data market, not GSM coys but what do we have?

they will be selling modems for 15-25k, subscription another 15k. GSM coys 8K modems, all manner of atrocious scams designed to fleece pockets of mumu subscribers. do the maths naw.

i have a neighbour who still uses a starcomms 1x box, i asked him his subscription, he said 10K a month!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
in this day and age?

there is a market out there waiting to be tapped, and pples greed and comfort at the thought that their victims are there for the taking is preventing them from growing. its only in nigeria that GSM lines are the primary means of internet for the majority.!!

i know there are no fibre lines but even then, why am i using a usb dongle IN MY HOME? im not mobile in my house yet am stuck with it!!!.

ITS A SHAME THOUGH!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 1:01pm On Jul 17, 2010
Glo 1 is already up for grabs. The truth is that only big enterprises might be able to purchase the bandwidth except you go through resellers. Pls you can confirm yourself. For those interested in bandwidth purchases just call 08032031645 or 08032608970 and discuss with the guy.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2010
Djcn:

Glo 1 is already up for grabs. The truth is that only big enterprises might be able to purchase the bandwidth except you go through resellers. Pls you can confirm yourself. For those interested in bandwidth purchases just call 08032031645 or 08032608970 and discuss with the guy.

I just find the fact that this person uses a/an MTN line funny. Did you get an idea of price per MB from the guy?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 4:02pm On Jul 17, 2010
jdoss:

I just find the fact that this person uses a/an MTN line funny. Did you get an idea of price per MB from the guy?

I dont want to engage in any arguments, if you are serious you can contact me or their head office (tho i dont know if u got the bucks and can meet the contract terms).
If u reside in PH i can give u contact address.

For enterprises
We are selling capacity at a minimum of STM-1 either on 5 year lease or on an IRU basis.
Co-location can also be provided.
We deliver a minimum of STM 1 (155Mbps)
IP grooming charges are applicable if required.

If interested
u'll ve 2 state ur location
Terminal equiptments
bandwidth required
How soon the service is required

For ur info bandwidth purchase other than the above is on annual basis.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 5:41pm On Jul 17, 2010
I wasn't trying to argue with you, I actually found it funny. I am just trying to find out the cost per MB to an ISP(for personal information, not because I represent some large company)
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2010
ehen, thot as much, Glo staff and main one staff sha dey market their parol here. lolz
]
na una sabi o
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 3:29pm On Jul 18, 2010
can't glo buy bandwidth for it's 3G service tongue
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 8:47pm On Jul 20, 2010
It's looking like Main One is actually launching commercially tomorrow. I just heard that there is an event marking it at the Eko le meridian. I guess going live and commercially launching are two different things.

The National Operator on Tuesday took journalists on a facility tour of the Glo 1 landing station in Lagos and noted that the multi-million dollar cable which has been tested and is now ready for commissioning has customised services to address the requirements of a wide segment of clients including telecom operators, oil and gas companies, manufacturers, government, education and medical institutions.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12933:glo-1-submarine-cable-goes-live&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

The only reason I am putting this up is that it says the journalists actually saw the landing station(that has to be a run-on sentence, it just has to be).
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
I think so too. saw the usual Glo press release being pasted verbatim in the headline from businessday. can't our journalist ask QUESTIONS? Abi they are being paid for stories hence they just cut and paste?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 9:14pm On Jul 20, 2010
Nigerian journalist ,  Going live (headline) and about to commercially launch (content) are two different things.

Group Chief Operating of Globacom, Mohamed Jameel, said that with the company's extensive optic fibre backbone in Nigeria and terrestrial network in West Africa, there is a significant advantage to customers since Glo can provide connectivity right up to customer's premises in these countries, including domestic long haul and last mile services. The customer is thus provided end-to-end solutions for his requirements

this is the first time I am hearing Glo talk about the last mile, wonder what part or Nigeria will be covered.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:45pm On Jul 20, 2010
i can bet you, only PARTS OF LAGOS AND ABJ
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:27am On Jul 21, 2010
I can confirm that Glo is laying fiber all over Abuja including peripheral towns like Kubwa, Suleija, Gwagwalada etc.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 11:04am On Jul 21, 2010
goggs:

I can confirm that Glo is laying fiber all over Abuja including peripheral towns like Kubwa, Suleija, Gwagwalada etc.
nice one. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 6:28pm On Jul 21, 2010
goggs:

I live along kubwa road and saw them laying the cables a few weeks back. I was wondering who was responsible. Good to know that its globacom.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:24pm On Jul 21, 2010
cables to major roads or to domestic houses? make una dey decieve una selves. all the glo staff sef, no amount of image laundering can remedy the ills of ur services and business model
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2010
goggs:

are they doing that now? before we begin to enjoy this broadband speed? another 3year wait?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.