Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,569 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies (5341 Views)

Woman Gives Birth To Quintuplets In Ibadan(photos) / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Triplets In The U.S After Six Years Of Waiting / Woman Gives Birth To Baby Without Arms In Ogun (the Baby Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by tope2000(f): 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2009
A WOMAN has given birth to EIGHT babies – America's second live-born set of octuplets.
The mum, who has not been identified, gave birth to six boys and two girls weighing between 1.8lbs and 3.4lbs yesterday.
The hospital had scheduled a caesarean for seven babies, but medics were stunned when an eighth was born.

Dr Karen Maples said: “It’s a surprise.

“Eight newborns are in stable condition and they’re doing quite well.”

Dr Harold Henry, chief of maternal and fetal medicine at the hospital, added: "It is quite easy to miss a baby when you’re anticipating seven babies.

“Ultrasound doesn’t show you everything.”

The babies were born at Kaiser Permanante hospital in southern California.

Doctors said the tots were born nine weeks premature but were in a stable condition.

Two newborns were placed on ventilators and a third needs oxygen.

Hospital spokeswoman Myra Suarez said she could not release any information about the mother, including her condition or if she had used fertility drugs.

“They are all doing the best they can,” she said.

Dr Mandhir Gupta, a neo-natologist who cared for the infants, said: "She’s a very strong woman, so she probably will be able to handle all eight babies.”

And she's planning to breast feed all eight babies, her doctors said

The mother checked into the hospital in her 23rd week of pregnancy and gave birth seven weeks later.

All eight babies will probably remain in the hospital for at least two months and the mother should be released in a week, Dr Maples added.

It is estimated the delivery of the babies lasted just FIVE MINUTES.

Advertisement

Dr Henry said: “They were all screaming and kicking around very vigorously.”

Forty-six hospital staff and four delivery rooms were used for the octuplets’ births.

After one baby was born, staff rushed the newborn into another room and waited for the next, the hospital said.

Medics repeatedly practiced for the deliveries in preparation for the multiple birth.

The first live-born octuplets were born in Houston in 1998 but one baby died about a week later.

The surviving siblings – girls Ebuka, Gorom, Chidi, Chima and Echerem, and their brothers Ikem and Jioke – celebrated their 10th birthdays in December.

Their Nigerian-born parents, Nkem Chukwu and Iyke Louis Udobi, said they were astonished and grateful their children had grown up to be healthy and active youngsters.

Chukwu said the new parents have a lot to look forward to.

“Just enjoy it. It’s a blessing, truly a blessing,” Chukwu said. “We’ll keep praying for them.

Congrats to them
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by temi4rea(f): 3:31pm On Jan 27, 2009
Whao! very hard to believe though,

Congrats to the mother.
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by Hotstepper(f): 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2009
Congrats
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by tpia: 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2009
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by MissyB1(m): 1:06am On Jan 28, 2009
What shocked shocked shocked
And there are people out there looking for just ONE . . . Life!!! grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by 4Play(m): 1:10am On Jan 28, 2009
@Tope

I don tell you, na 10 you go bear for me in one go. You know say I dey very potent. grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by spoilt(f): 2:45am On Jan 28, 2009
I have just one and i am exhausted all the time. grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by Pepeye(f): 9:19am On Jan 28, 2009
I wonder how she's gonna cope
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by Tgirl4real(f): 10:27am On Jan 28, 2009
I don't envy her o. I don't mind a set of twin sha
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by tope2000(f): 3:55pm On Jan 29, 2009
4 Play:

@Tope

I don tell you, na 10 you go bear for me in one go. You know say I dey very potent. grin

Haaaaaaaaaa. . . . . . how abt 12 @ a go? grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by Moyola(f): 3:59pm On Jan 29, 2009
Itz all good!
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by spikedcylinder: 11:15am On Feb 02, 2009
Oh my! Her poor vagina. . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by DisGuy: 1:18pm On Feb 02, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I think she was assisted not natural. . . .
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by dani1luv: 3:19pm On Feb 02, 2009
spikedcylinder:

As if you nevr give birth b4 lipsrsealed undecided grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by spikedcylinder: 11:18am On Feb 03, 2009
Dis Guy:

I think she was assisted not natural. . . .

Oh ok! Thank goodness.

dani1luv:

As if you nevr give birth b4 lipsrsealed undecided grin

Yes na, no be me born you? tongue
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by plappville(f): 4:13pm On Feb 12, 2009
it's not a Nigeria woman abeg, i saw a white woman in the bbc and even yahoo page is also a white woman, she has 6 children already befor her octoplets.
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by Nobody: 2:34am On Feb 16, 2009
woah, people just twist stories in their own ways, this woman is not nigerian, here are the pics of her with her HUGE belly.
http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/12/octomom-it-was-a-very-goodyear/
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by busybodi: 3:00pm On Feb 19, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

woah, people just twist stories in their own ways, this woman is not nigerian, here are the pics of her with her HUGE belly.
http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/12/octomom-it-was-a-very-goodyear/

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Eight Babies by MrCrackles(m): 3:05pm On Feb 19, 2009
Eight? shocked

Tope will you give me 12babies please
?! grin

(1) (Reply)

Is BLOOD Really Thicker Than Water? Family FEUDS! / . / Pets As Part Of The Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.