Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,557 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed (1105 Views)

World’s First Head Transplant Ever (photos) / First Human Head-to-body Transplant: Russian Man To Undergo Revolutionary / I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Nobody: 3:09am On Apr 11, 2015
Earlier this year, an Italian surgeon announced that he’ll be attempting the world’s first human head transplant , that despite the hurdles, a human head may actually be attached onto another person’s body in two years. This week, a donor was introduced, but according to at least one expert, this man might be facing something that’s “worse than death.”

It started in 2013, when Sergio Canavero of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group proposed the idea of using surgery to extend the lives of people with degenerated muscles and nerves or cancer-permeated organs, New Scientist reports . Canavero summarized the
36-hour procedure he plans to follow in Surgical Neurology International in February of this year. He also plans to launch the project at the annual American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons meeting in Maryland this June. He’ll need a staff of 150 doctors and nurses.

Is it actually possible to fuse two spinal cords and stop the recipient’s body from rejecting the new head? Last century attempts with dogs and monkeys resulted in animals who survived for a few days, though a more recent mouse head transplant showed that it was basically possible. "I think we are now at a point when the technical aspects are all feasible," Canavero says.

After cooling the donor’s body and the recipient’s head, neck tissue is dissected, blood vessels are linked with tubes, and the spinal cords are cleanly severed, New Scientist explains. With the new head on the body, the ends of the spinal cords are fused together using a chemical that prompts fat in cell membranes to connect. Muscles and blood vessels will be sutured, and the patient will be kept comatose as electrodes stimulate the spinal cord. He calls it HEAVEN, for head anastomosis venture (anastomosis is the surgical connection of two parts).

This week, a volunteer was announced: 30-year-old Valery Spiridonov of Vladimir, Russia, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder called Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease. He wants the chance at a new body before he dies. “Am I afraid? Yes, of course I am. But it is not just very scary, but also very interesting,” Spiridonov tells Daily Mail . “You have to understand that I don't really have many choices... If I don't try this chance my fate will be very sad. With every year my state is getting worse.”

But according to Hunt Batjer of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, even if the airway, spine, and major veins and arteries are put together, the spinal cord will be the real problem. "I would not wish this on anyone,”
Batjer tells CNN . “I would not allow anyone to do it to me, there are a lot of things worse than death." For starters, the patient might not be able to move or breathe. And Arthur Caplan of New York University thinks Canavero is nuts. "Their bodies would end up being overwhelmed with different pathways and chemistry than they are used to and they'd go crazy,” he tells CNN . Also, the high levels of anti-rejection meds will poison the body, and who knows if the recipients will fully gain the function of their new parts. "It's not like you can unscrew your head and put it on someone else," Caplan adds.
Still, Canavero insists , “we can already do this.”

www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/head-transplant-volunteer-might-face-fate-more-terrifying-death
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Nobody: 3:10am On Apr 11, 2015
cc lalasticlala
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by DickDastardly(m): 3:30am On Apr 11, 2015
Some Nairalanders will need this operation.
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Nobody: 3:35am On Apr 11, 2015
DickDastardly:
Some Nairalanders will need this operation.

lol, anybody in mind?
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by DickDastardly(m): 3:43am On Apr 11, 2015
wallflower:

lol, anybody in mind?
Yea
Those guys they always tell to "go get a brain or sense". They can as well get a total head transplant grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Bacteriocin(m): 4:50am On Apr 11, 2015
this is what should be called research in motion
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Cool637: 4:58am On Apr 11, 2015
lol.. really funny stuff

1 Like

Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Nimen(m): 5:29am On Apr 11, 2015
Who head transplant don help?

Alert me when it reaches frontpage

Sipping ma juice jejely...
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by vanen2: 5:39am On Apr 11, 2015
Knowledge is increasing by the day. The reader should be wise. THE END IS NEAR. REPENT AND COME TO JESUS AND BE SAVED
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Ewizard(m): 5:46am On Apr 11, 2015
singing *suspect ft illbliss-nsogbu*....
"dey wan kari Obama brain giv am to Jona..."
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by marycool18(f): 5:55am On Apr 11, 2015
Now who will have control over the being? Whose mind will the body be assessing? The owner of the body or head? This is no more an organ transplant but a regional transplat cheesy
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Lilprincey(m): 5:57am On Apr 11, 2015
Head transplant? Baba God see as da want da transplant pesin head wer u create..#it is well
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by sigmundfreud(m): 6:03am On Apr 11, 2015
shocked
Bold!
Scary!!
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by asadike(f): 6:15am On Apr 11, 2015
Interesting. I would love to be d stand by nurse.
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Nobody: 6:25am On Apr 11, 2015
asadike:

So you're saying you'll be ok when they cut his head off?
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by holluwai(m): 6:31am On Apr 11, 2015
Are you sure you can stand it?

asadike:
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by naturally: 6:41am On Apr 11, 2015
Hmmmm, scientists and wonders
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by midasbliss(f): 9:29am On Apr 11, 2015
Suicide Mission
Season 1

1 Like

Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Albie(m): 5:51pm On Apr 11, 2015
Scary experiment
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by asadike(f): 6:40pm On Apr 11, 2015
wallflower:

So you're saying you'll be ok when they cut his head off?
yes. He asked for it.
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by asadike(f): 6:45pm On Apr 11, 2015
holluwai:
Are you sure you can stand it?

very.
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by holluwai(m): 6:47pm On Apr 11, 2015
Hmm, you must have seen things o

asadike:
very.
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 11, 2015
asadike:
yes. He asked for it.

You get mind o, I wouldn't be able to, I think it's a good thing I didn't read med & surg.
Re: Russian Man Will Become Subject Of First Human Head Transplant Ever Performed by Temismith(f): 9:41am On Apr 12, 2015
hope the person will live to tell d story. its really a near death experience

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Stop Eating Suya / 6 Reasons Why You Can't Sleep / Will A Man Die If Someone Squeezes His Testicles Hard Enough?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.