Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,383 members, 7,958,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:21 AM

The More They Criticize, The More Our Afro Gets Bigger (A Concerned Naturalista) - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The More They Criticize, The More Our Afro Gets Bigger (A Concerned Naturalista) (860 Views)

#mambo Twist, #elixirhair #crochethair #naturalhairstyles #naturalista / Wedding Hairstyles For The Naturalista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The More They Criticize, The More Our Afro Gets Bigger (A Concerned Naturalista) by roughdiamond1: 10:51am On Apr 11, 2015
It’s no assumption that the demand for ‘relaxer’ in the US is really falling. Black women are now allowing the hair that grows out from their head to have a life. I grew up to know that a combination of chemicals mixed together in a container with a sharp pungent smell is the savior to the beautiful keratin structures my DNA naturally produces undecided.

I didn’t have any basic explanation to this than the fear built in my mind that my hair is a total sh*t that could only make sense until I apply a relaxer . A relaxer, with that pungent smell capable of destroying my organs? I just stayed glue to the chair feeling the spread of this white looking chemical on my head. The feeling was only soothing during application assisted by the romantic touch of the hair dresser smiley. Sooner, the keratin bonds once clumped together to achieve a kinky extremely curled look now began to break obeying the rules of these chemicals. My hair would be screaming for help, begging me not to amputate the defined kinky structure God has bestowed it but I declined and I was like “please obey; I need to look as pretty as the girls I see on TV.” Though I was feeling very uncomfortable and it was as if a furnace was built on my head undecided. If the relaxer stayed longer than expected, throughout the week or even weeks, I might be nursing my injured head full of scares from burnt hair.

Again and again, in the next 3 months or less I would go through the same harsh process embarassed. I believe some parts of my brain might even be cooked enough to be eaten because of the constant frying of my head with relaxer products.

Until in my 400 level (2014), I said to myself “no girl, you are a girl with the melanin coloured skin, your DNA produces melanin and hard structured keratin for your hair”. “Why then do you want to live as a fake being, being unrealistic to yourself and indirectly telling God He didn’t create you well?” So I succumbed and trimmed off the relaxed hair. The most surprising thing was that the constant fear that kinky hair is as hard as what you can’t find on this earth was actually false.

What we lacked was that we never took time to study our hair and that’s because we never appreciated it. Kinky hair needs a lot of moisture. Regular application of water and conditioner are what our hair typically needs. Also it’s good to know that taking care of natural hair is not as expensive as relaxed hair and a product as cheap as coconut oil or Shea butter (ori) but rich in hair nutrients are enough to give you that healthy beautiful look.

How funny that we have to constantly explain to people on the beauty of our kinky hair. An article I read identified that people either largely criticize or disturbingly defend it. It’s crazy, having to defend what naturally spur out of my head. Just like maybe I have to be defending my colour “I’m sorry but I happen to be a black, it wasn’t my fault. Wish I could see God now and blame him…” You are definitely on your own!

I’m not advising you but I am happily rocking mine. People often ask me how I comb it and I’m always like “it’s very easy… just moisturize it and comb or brush it out.”

America has been told to adapt to the changes by African American women about their interest on their own hair cos they are finding it really hard. Two celebs had gone on the social media last week or so to alarm their concern about the criticism they get because they are wearing their hair. But please, is that not crazy to hear? You being criticized because you are wearing your hair maybe it will soon be because one refuses to bleach her skin.

Zendaya of Disney rocked long dreads at the Oscars and the garrulous fashion police crew really descended on hair though Giuliana Rancic, the lead contributor during the racism perceived debate had rendered an open apology. Likewise, Solange Knowles who had been constantly attacked because of her hair gave the ‘I don’t give a damn’ footage on her Twitter page telling all who needs to hear frankly that “I am rocking my beautiful hair and you can go to hell.”

I also love Beyoncé’s parenting style by allowing her daughter live as normal as possible though people termed it abnormal but maybe they are the ones who need to be checked. Cos I don’t know why I will be called ‘abnormal’ because I refused to throw down my own image and wear someone else’s.

If they don’t know I am an African with black skin, I’m not European or so with a white skin. My hair is kinky, it grows up, it is not straight nor grows down. I wear my 4s natural hair which grows from my skull and I love it. You can decide to commit suicide on my behalf if you find it offensive.

Peace out!

Read more on http://www.livelifeng.com/[http://www.livelifeng.com/the-more-they-criticize-the-more-our-afro-gets-bigger]
Re: The More They Criticize, The More Our Afro Gets Bigger (A Concerned Naturalista) by naturally: 10:56am On Apr 11, 2015
Ok
Re: The More They Criticize, The More Our Afro Gets Bigger (A Concerned Naturalista) by coldgate(f): 12:24pm On Apr 11, 2015
So true. Enough of these fake hair. OP: you forgot to add that it stinks! Nothing like wearing your natural God-given hair. I joined the crusade last year and I am loving it.

1 Like

Re: The More They Criticize, The More Our Afro Gets Bigger (A Concerned Naturalista) by Wendy80(f): 2:07pm On Apr 11, 2015
Love d natural kinky look. When I saw how beautiful my daughter's natural hair looked one Sunday morn, I decided to go natural too.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Lovers Of Handbags! / Get Great Discount, Original Products And Pay On Delivery From Jumia / Get Gorgeous Party Dresses In Plus Size At Oasis Plus Size

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.