Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,244 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. (2292 Views)

Postal Or Zip Codes Of States In Nigeria / Hurricane Mathew: The Hit From The Caribbean, To The United States In Photos. / #lindaikeji Video : Witchcraft Happen In The Volta Region Of Ghana When They Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Apr 11, 2015
Dear beautiful Nigerians,

These conundrums are really disturbing my analysis on several issues facing Nigeria as a whole.

They are all in form of questions, and will be asked accordingly.

Firstly, what exactly is hindering the development of cosmopolitan cities/states in the SE?

Secondly, will Lagos become decongested if more states, at least one in the SE becomes cosmopolitan?

Thirdly, is it a politically motivated intent or are people from the SE simply reluctant to developing their geographical location? If the latter is true, why is that the case?

Please fill me in with your answers/ ideas. I will appreciate them all, thanks.

Seun please help my amateur inquisition get answers. I am curious...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by ignis: 1:59pm On Apr 11, 2015
Question
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Apr 11, 2015
abuja is as developed as lag and still has the smallest population in nigeria. even if a state in the sw is as developed as lagos, it would take generations for lag to reduce in population and imigration

1 Like

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2015
runzlord:
abuja is as developed as lag and still has the smallest population in nigeria. even if a state in the sw is as developed as lagos, it would take generations for lag to reduce in population and imigration

Thanks for offering an answer to the second question. I understand that the attraction to Lagos is due to its cosmopolitan nature, and that businesses will have a higher chance of thriving there compared to other states. However, this should not deter South easterners from collectively developing a cosmopolitan city/state in the SE, especially with the help of the SE government. Or what do yo think?

By the way are there any ports in the south eastern states?

Sorry for my incessant questions. They are just stemmed from my forward thinking...
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Fulaman198(m): 4:41pm On Apr 11, 2015
Good thread, a good place in the Southeast would be Enugu in my opinion. That's just my two kobo
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 11, 2015
Fulaman198:
Good thread, a good place in the Southeast would be Enugu in my opinion. That's just my two kobo

Thanks kiss Do you know if there is any developed port or any at all in Enugu? I think it is plausible to assume that a functioning port somewhere in the SE will bring the cosmopolitan dream to fulfilment..

1 Like

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Fulaman198(m): 7:31pm On Apr 11, 2015
datalossvictim1:

Thanks kiss Do you know if there is any developed port or any at all in Enugu? I think it is plausible to assume that a functioning port somewhere in the SE will bring the cosmopolitan dream to fulfilment..

After the southwest, I would say that the southeast is the second most developed region. Middle belt areas are developed too. I think that Enugu has the potential to be a greater city if the right leaders are elected. Hopefully Buhari will focus on all areas in Nigeria and make them great

1 Like

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Feraz(m): 10:01pm On Apr 11, 2015
datalossvictim1:

From my knowledge, there is currently no port in the SE. There was supposed to be one but what happened, I do not know. One thing I am amazed at is to know why the wealthy ones from the SE cannot put resources together to develop a private port to help with the development of the SE.

datalossvictim1:
Dear beautiful Nigerians,
These conundrums are really disturbing my analysis on several issues facing Nigeria as a whole.
They are all in form of questions, and will be asked accordingly.
Firstly, what exactly is hindering the development of cosmopolitan cities/states in the SE?
Secondly, will Lagos become decongested if more states, at least one in the SE becomes cosmopolitan?
Thirdly, is it a politically motivated intent or are people from the SE simply reluctant to developing their geographical location? If the latter is true, why is that the case?
Please fill me in with your answers/ ideas. I will appreciate them all, thanks.
Seun please help my amateur inquisition get answers. I am curious...
1. Well, I think one of the reasons is that our people travel too much. Anywhere the Igbo man finds himself, he tries to make it home (even though he travels to his state of origin almost every end of the year). Then again, there are some people I am sorry to say, with the mentality that nothing good is going to come from the SE. Back then, I asked a friend of mine who should be in his mid 20s why he hasn't travelled home more than twice; he said "His pastor said his star will be stolen should he travel". I was WTF?!?!?! With that mentality, how will he come to the SE to develop the region if at a young age then, this fear of the unknown has been planted in him?

2. I do not really see Lagos becoming decongested because even if Igbos should go back to the SE, other ethnic groups and foreigners will fill Lagos up.

3. Me thinks both are involved. Political in the sense that the SE after the war has not benefitted anything from the FG even till now. I cannot point to a definite reason why our people from the SE are reluctant to develop our region - maybe it stems from the fact of what I said earlier, wherever our people find themselves, they try to make it home.

CC: asha80, please, your contribution is needed. . .
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 11, 2015
Lagos has been where it is, in part, and I mean, in part, because of its contacts with the British in 1861, when it became a colony.Also, its strategic place on the Atlantic Ocean.Seas and oceans open up the economies of where they are.E.g.London, Tokyo, New York etc.
I don't want to believe there is a calculated attempt to deny the South East development.People are naturally pulled by economic and infrastructural opportunities to certain cities.According to reports Last year, Lagos attracted about 98% of investments into Nigeria.And Nigeria since 1999 has been attracting the chunck of Foreign Direct Investments in Africa.
What will turn around the fortunes of SE is massive industrialization, correcting infrastructural deficit-this is nationwide-; and the sheer guts of people in that area to stay put and invest.If they stick around long enough, growth will come, foreign investors will seek investment opportunities and development will come.
As for Lagos getting decongested, I don't see that happening, because, the city isn't sleeping.If not that government overtime has been teetering on mediocrity, Lagos should have flown away in terms of development.Because considering, the resources accruing to the state, it baffles one why it is still crawling.
For the SE, a deliberate effort on industrialization has to be taken amongst all the governors from there.The central government can't help in this regard.

1 Like

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Feraz(m): 11:29pm On Apr 11, 2015
leanfarmer:
Lagos has been where it is, in part, and I mean, in part, because of its contacts with the British in 1861, when it became a colony.Also, its strategic place on the Atlantic Ocean.Seas and oceans open up the economies of where they are.E.g.London, Tokyo, New York etc.
I don't want to believe there is a calculated attempt to deny the South East development.People are naturally pulled by economic and infrastructural opportunities to certain cities.According to reports Last year, Lagos attracted about 98% of investments into Nigeria.And Nigeria since 1999 has been attracting the chunck of Foreign Direct Investments in Africa.
What will turn around the fortunes of SE is massive industrialization, correcting infrastructural deficit-this is nationwide-; and the sheer guts of people in that area to stay put and invest.If they stick around long enough, growth will come, foreign investors will seek investment opportunities and development will come.
As for Lagos getting decongested, I don't see that happening, because, the city isn't sleeping.If not that government overtime has been teetering on mediocrity, Lagos should have flown away in terms of development.Because considering, the resources accruing to the state, it baffles one why it is still crawling.
For the SE, a deliberate effort on industrialization has to be taken amongst all the governors from there.The central government can't help in this regard.
Love this reply. . .For the bold.ed, it beats me why the governors down SE keep paying petty politics instead of coming together irrespective of party.

Then again, do you think massive industrialization is possible without support from the central government?
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 11, 2015
Yea, you're right! But the role of the central government is very limited.They would act as guarantor for whatever partnerships the states are entering into.However,in terms of investing massively there,realistically, no! The governors have got to take responsibility,bold steps, if not crazy or daring ones, and act in concert.It's their burden, to be honest!

1 Like

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by freshdude99(m): 12:24am On Apr 12, 2015
Feraz:
From my knowledge, there is currently no port in the SE. There was supposed to be one but what happened, I do not know. One thing I am amazed at is to know why the wealthy ones from the SE cannot put resources together to develop a private port to help with the development of the SE.

1. Well, I think one of the reasons is that our people travel too much. Anywhere the Igbo man finds himself, he tries to make it home (even though he travels to his state of origin almost every end of the year). Then again, there are some people I am sorry to say, with the mentality that nothing good is going to come from the SE. Back then, I asked a friend of mine who should be in his mid 20s why he hasn't travelled home more than twice; he said "His pastor said his star will be stolen should he travel". I was WTF?!?!?! With that mentality, how will he come to the SE to develop the region if at a young age then, this fear of the unknown has been planted in him?

2. I do not really see Lagos becoming decongested because even if Igbos should go back to the SE, other ethnic groups and foreigners will fill Lagos up.

3. Me thinks both are involved. Political in the sense that the SE after the war has not benefitted anything from the FG even till now. I cannot point to a definite reason why our people from the SE are reluctant to develop our region - maybe it stems from the fact of what I said earlier, wherever our people find themselves, they try to make it home.

CC: asha80, please, your contribution is needed. . .
Some of ur reply above are quite reasonable wyl some simply reflects ur age grade. Well as far as I understand the geopolitical nature of this entity Nigeria, the only reason why the SE is at the level they find themselves today is simply politics. After the war there's a feeling among the ruling elites that d SE can only be tamed by denying them FG presence of which is very obvious today. The truth is there are projects that are exclusively FGs like seaport which is what SE needs more than anything else. For now sinx other regions presents these opportunities to them, they will residing and developing those places like Lagos, kano, abj etc
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:57am On Apr 12, 2015
Enugu and Imo have the potentials to be the cosmopolitan states of the SE. When the international terminal of the Enugu airport is commissioned and functional, and when the major international airlines start flying there, it'll be fully cosmopolitan.
The SE could benefit from the Ibaka deep seaport in Akwa-Ibom too.

1 Like

Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Awoofawo(m): 7:41am On Apr 12, 2015
freshdude99:

Some of ur reply above are quite reasonable wyl some simply reflects ur age grade. Well as far as I understand the geopolitical nature of this entity Nigeria, the only reason why the SE is at the level they find themselves today is simply politics. After the war there's a feeling among the ruling elites that d SE can only be tamed by denying them FG presence of which is very obvious today. The truth is there are projects that are exclusively FGs like seaport which is what SE needs more than anything else. For now sinx other regions presents these opportunities to them, they will residing and developing those places like Lagos, kano, abj etc

I'm only interest in bold sir!

Which of S.East states is locate around/near the SEA.......?
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by freshdude99(m): 8:40am On Apr 12, 2015
Awoofawo:

I'm only interest in bold sir!

Which of S.East states is locate around/near the SEA.......?
am amazed u asking such a question, but I will answer to it. Take a very good look at the map of the defunct state of bit frame... though there was nothing like S'S bcz such politics isn't born yet. We had the pH port and the calabar port. Other smaller ones are the onitsha inland port and warri port. The whole port there still needs some amount of investment by the fg for it to live up to its mandates. As for the two inland ports of warri and onitsha, dey need dredging for bigger ships that can access the calabar port to be able to discharge their cargo. All these the fg did none instead more investments were made in lagos port and my bro the rest is history. You can for ur self how many billions of dollars the seaport alone brings in for lagos state. The same politics I highlighted earlier was same thing in the aviation sector, if a state like gombe and jigawa (not so sure) can boost of international airport, how much more the entire SE states. Only recently we had Enugu upgraded of which she was later sacked with aligation of fraud, but who knows what the real reason for her sack was. So my brother, I can go on and on highlighting issues for u bcz there are so many of them. Truth be told, the solution to these problems are all embedded in the confab report. WE NEEDS TRUE FEDERALISM, LET EVERY STATE AND REGION BE AUTONOMOUS TO AN EXTENT AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE CENTRE. Bless u bro
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Awoofawo(m): 9:05am On Apr 12, 2015
freshdude99:

am amazed u asking such a question, but I will answer to it. Take a very good look at the map of the defunct state of bit frame... though there was nothing like S'S bcz such politics isn't born yet. We had the pH port and the calabar port. Other smaller ones are the onitsha inland port and warri port. The whole port there still needs some amount of investment by the fg for it to live up to its mandates. As for the two inland ports of warri and onitsha, dey need dredging for bigger ships that can access the calabar port to be able to discharge their cargo. All these the fg did none instead more investments were made in lagos port and my bro the rest is history. You can for ur self how many billions of dollars the seaport alone brings in for lagos state. The same politics I highlighted earlier was same thing in the aviation sector, if a state like gombe and jigawa (not so sure) can boost of international airport, how much more the entire SE states. Only recently we had Enugu upgraded of which she was later sacked with aligation of fraud, but who knows what the real reason for her sack was. So my brother, I can go on and on highlighting issues for u bcz there are so many of them. Truth be told, the solution to these problems are all embedded in the confab report. WE NEEDS TRUE FEDERALISM, LET EVERY STATE AND REGION BE AUTONOMOUS TO AN EXTENT AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE CENTRE. Bless u bro

None of the ports highlighted belong to S. East region, or you are trying to re-draw 9ja map?

As for the rest of your post, they are pure trash.....

Only the your closing conclusion which you capitalized and I which bold made sense...

My regard to you sir!
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by freshdude99(m): 9:15am On Apr 12, 2015
Awoofawo:

None of the ports highlighted belong to S. East region, or you are trying to re-draw 9ja map?

As for the rest of your post, they are pure trash.....

Only the your closing conclusion which you capitalized and I which bold made sense...

My regard to you sir!
Before I decided to answer ur qstn, I felt u can read and understand but it's obvious I over estimated ur small brain. Did u read anything like defunct Biafra map in my analysis?? Oh come on u should knw beta... If my submissions are trash, u shldnt have asked let alone reading and spewing trash afterwards. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Awoofawo(m): 10:20am On Apr 12, 2015
freshdude99:

Before I decided to answer ur qstn, I felt u can read and understand but it's obvious I over estimated ur small brain. Did u read anything like defunct Biafra map in my analysis?? Oh come on u should knw beta... If my submissions are trash, u shldnt have asked let alone reading and spewing trash afterwards. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Please re-read the thread MAIN TOPIC OR THEME... also review your earlier post that I quoted..... What are centre theme: The typical Igbo the victim pranks...

Go sit down, you don't need to resort to insulting me to get points across...

This is an open forum, there bound to be different in opinions among users....

According to geographical and political map S.East and S.South are not the same region, just as N.East can't claims anything N.West or N.Central....

The only place you made sense is on the federalism, all the rest I repeat are trash.

Final, next time you quote me, please refrain from insulting, abusive and foul word in addressing me. Thank and God bless....
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by Feraz(m): 3:01pm On Apr 12, 2015
freshdude99:

Even though it is exclusively FG project, does that mean the SE governors should not come together and put resources for building one rather than waiting for FG?
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by freshdude99(m): 4:07pm On Apr 12, 2015
Feraz:
Even though it is exclusively FG project, does that mean the SE governors should not come together and put resources for building one rather than waiting for FG?
Not so easy the way u say it... besides why is it only in SE u see maybe individuals with their own wealth building community roads and infrastructure while up north the opposite is the case (fg does everything). Did lagos state build their own airport not to talk of seaport like Imo indigenes contributed (for airport) did during Sam mbakwe time as governor. Our politics is loopsided bro!
Re: Cosmopolitanization Of Cities/States In The South Eastern Region Of Nigeria. by teasel: 6:14pm On Apr 12, 2015
You make it sound like places in the SW are developed.
Lagos is only the way it is because it was the capital of Nigeria for over 70 years.. yet it's still one of the filthiest places in the country.
Everyone knows what Ibadan, Osogbo and those other sties look like.

(1) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Biography-profile & Net Worth / Emmyk's Thread Of Pictures / See What This Useless Girl Posted On Facebook ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.