Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,460 members, 7,958,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:39 PM

''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' (1214 Views)

Five Bible Verses That Will Motivate You And Give You An Extra Push In Life / Five Bible Verses That Will Motivate You And Give You An Extra Push / Speed Of Light, Time, Einstein, And An Extra-universal Timeline. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by eugy45(m): 8:51pm On Apr 12, 2015
“Outside the Church there is no salvation” (extra
ecclesiam nulla salus) is a doctrine of the Catholic
Faith that was taught By Jesus Christ to His
Apostles, preached by the Fathers, defined by
popes and councils and piously believed by the
faithful in every age of the Church. Here is how the Popes defined it: “There is but one universal Church of the
faithful, outside which no one at all is
saved.” (Pope Innocent III, Fourth Lateran Council, 1215.) “We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it
is absolutely necessary for the salvation of
every human creature to be subject to the
Roman Pontiff.” (Pope Boniface VIII, the Bull Unam Sanctam, 1302.
When speaking of salvation, Jesus offered more
details than just his words quoted above. For
example, consider these three verses: He who believes and is baptized will be saved.
(Mk 16:16) [U]nless you repent you will all likewise perish.
(Lk 13:3) [H]e who eats my flesh and drinks my blood
has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the
last day. (Jn 6:54) Notice that in these three verses Jesus associated
salvation with baptism, confession, and the
Eucharist, respectively. Catholics recognize that
these sacraments are administered through the
Church. In fact, in the case of the latter two, a
validly ordained priest is necessary for their administration, so the sacrament of ordination
must also be associated with salvation.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Scholar8200(m): 10:12pm On Apr 12, 2015
@ op , pls salvation is through repentance from sin and faith in Christ sacrifice on the cross Acts 20:21 the statement in John 6:54 was not made in relation to the Eucharist. Looking at vs 56-57, you'll see that the context here and the allusion to His dependence on the Father was the focus. When the Eucharist was initiated, the purpose was to do it ,"in remembrance of Me" Luke 22:19. Also, Acts 2:46 shows that the breaking of bread was done in families, the 12 Apostles could not have been going to their houses and after they were scattered in Acts 8, i'm sure each family had to do it on their own. I wish you could substantiate the need for an ordained priest as stated in your post. The Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8 only believed and was baptised and was saved.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Scholar8200(m): 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2015
eugy45:
“Outside the Church there is no salvation” (extra
ecclesiam nulla salus) is a doctrine of the Catholic
Faith that was taught By Jesus Christ to His
Apostles, preached by the Fathers, defined by
popes and councils and piously believed by the
faithful in every age of the Church. Here is how the Popes defined it: “There is but one universal Church of the
faithful, outside which no one at all is
saved.” (Pope Innocent III, Fourth Lateran Council, 1215.) “We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it
is absolutely necessary for the salvation of
every human creature to be subject to the
Roman Pontiff.” (Pope Boniface VIII, the Bull Unam Sanctam, 1302.
pls would you substantiate the doctrinal statement you opened this post with and the Bull quoted above with Scriptures and samples in the New Testament. Also note that in Revelations 2 and 3, Jesus sent messages to 7 different churches or assemblies of believers through their pastors. This is not in tandem with your opening quote.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by eugy45(m): 7:03am On Apr 13, 2015
Scholar8200:
pls would you substantiate the doctrinal statement you opened this post with and the Bull quoted above with Scriptures and samples in the New Testament. Also note that in Revelations 2 and 3, Jesus sent messages to 7 different churches or assemblies of believers through their pastors. This is not in tandem with your opening quote.
Its nt abt shwn u were it was written, d bible didnt contain everything.. Chk dz awt...
http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-amazing-truth-of-our-lady-of-guadalupe.html
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by eugy45(m): 7:08am On Apr 13, 2015
Scholar8200:
@ op , pls salvation is through repentance from sin and faith in Christ sacrifice on the cross Acts 20:21 the statement in John 6:54 was not made in relation to the Eucharist. Looking at vs 56-57, you'll see that the context here and the allusion to His dependence on the Father was the focus. When the Eucharist was initiated, the purpose was to do it ,"in remembrance of Me" Luke 22:19. Also, Acts 2:46 shows that the breaking of bread was done in families, the 12 Apostles could not have been going to their houses and after they were scattered in Acts 8, i'm sure each family had to do it on their own. I wish you could substantiate the need for an ordained priest as stated in your post. The Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8 only believed and was baptised and was saved.
There's mre to d catholic church than we knw, am nt sayin this to promote d church, bt its d truth...things hv hapnd in d past to shw a little evidence abt d doctrine..
http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-amazing-truth-of-our-lady-of-guadalupe.html
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Scholar8200(m): 8:02am On Apr 13, 2015
eugy45:

Its nt abt shwn u were it was written, d bible didnt contain everything.. Chk dz awt...
Pls we need to be cautious here. Remember Revelations 22:18,19 . . . if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book, and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life.... Proverbs 30:6 Add thou not unto His words lest He reprove thee. See also Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32. Although John the beloved pointed out that Jesus did many other things after resurrection which he did not include in the book of John,see John 20:30 but vs 31 tells us that God has given us enough to enlighten and quicken those who will believe. The Bible supersedes any decision handed down by any man or committee of men. For example, In the time of Luther, a particular RC official (Tetzel, I think) went as far as saying those who contributed money to a certain course will rescue a/some loved one from hell and translate them to Heaven (total heresy that!), and the RC church authorities did not stop him. In fact Matthew 16:18 , the Rock there is not referring to Peter but the Truth of Jesus being the Christ, the Son of the Living God. 1 Corinth 3:11 For other Foundation can no man lay than that which is laid which is Jesus Christ pls see Ephesians 2 :20 Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone.,Isaiah 28:16 Matt 21:42. Even Peter himself wrote referring to Christ 1Peter 2:6-8 wherefore it is contained in the Scripture, Behold I lay in Zion a Chief Corner Stone, Elect,Precious; and he that believeth on Him shall not be confounded... the Stone which the builders disallowed, the Same is made the Head of the corner.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by eugy45(m): 8:30am On Apr 13, 2015
Scholar8200:
Pls we need to be cautious here. Remember Revelations 22:18,19 . . . if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book, and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life.... Proverbs 30:6 Add thou not unto His words lest He reprove thee. See also Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32. Although John the beloved pointed out that Jesus did many other things after resurrection which he did not include in the book of John,see John 20:30 but vs 31 tells us that God has given us enough to enlighten and quicken those who will believe. The Bible supersedes any decision handed down by any man or committee of men. For example, In the time of Luther, a particular RC official (Tetzel, I think) went as far as saying those who contributed money to a certain course will rescue a/some loved one from hell and translate them to Heaven (total heresy that!), and the RC church authorities did not stop him. In fact Matthew 16:18 , the Rock there is not referring to Peter but the Truth of Jesus being the Christ, the Son of the Living God. 1 Corinth 3:11 For other Foundation can no man lay than that which is laid which is Jesus Christ pls see Ephesians 2 :20 Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone.,Isaiah 28:16 Matt 21:42. Even Peter himself wrote referring to Christ 1Peter 2:6-8 wherefore it is contained in the Scripture, Behold I lay in Zion a Chief Corner Stone, Elect,Precious; and he that believeth on Him shall not be confounded... the Stone which the builders disallowed, the Same is made the Head of the corner.
I didnt alter d bible, these re encounters by people. D link i sent was 1 of our lady's apparition during d jihad war or so. When muslims almst succeeded in converting d whole christains then, that same period in d space of 7yrs she converted 9million souls.
The bible was complied in d 18th century, now lemme ask you, b4 d bible hw were d christians living their lifes?
And Peter was d rock, that was why he was d first catholic bishop and pope.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Scholar8200(m): 9:23am On Apr 13, 2015
eugy45:

I didnt alter d bible, these re encounters by people. D link i sent was 1 of our lady's apparition during d jihad war or so. When muslims almst succeeded in converting d whole christains then, that same period in d space of 7yrs she converted 9million souls.
The bible was complied in d 18th century, now lemme ask you, b4 d bible hw were d christians living their lifes?
And Peter was d rock, that was why he was d first catholic bishop and pope.
Note that Christ did not direct His Message in the Book of Revelations 2 & 3 to the pope or any other sole church leader but to the local leaders of those seven churches. Besides, your last statement contradicts the biblical quotes that showed that Christ is the Rock except the words and experiences of men now rank at the same level with the Word. Secondly, the books of the Old testament existed before year 001 AD, the prophecies of most of which (including Isaiah 28:16 prophesying of Christ being the Rock and affirmed by Peter in 1 Peter 2:6-9) were fulfilled in Christ (though some are yet to be fulfilled while others are being fulfilled before our eyes) and even Christ (Luke 24:44) and the other apostles and prophets used these OT books in their inspired messages and writings (read most messages in the Acts to prove this . Now before the compilation of the Bible today, early Christians ," continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine" (Acts 2:42) as Inspired by the Spirit (note the plural). This apostles' doctrine is what is now codified in the Gospels and Epistles. even at that time they upheld the word hence Paul wrote," Galatians 1 :8 ...though we ,or an angel from heaven, preach any other Gospel unto you than that which we have preached, let him be accursed.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 13, 2015
Scholar8200:
Extra Ecclesium Nulla Salus...no salvation outside the Church is simply a recognition of the relationship between Christ and His Church. The Church is the Body and Christ its Head therefore you cannot seperate the two. It is through the Church that Christ saves for the Word of God is taught through the Church and the sacraments are adminstered through the Church. Therefore the Church is indeed the Ark of Salvation. However it is important to note that this doctrine does not prescribe damnation for those who are outside the Body of Christ for Christ does not punish the ignorant but those who willfully reject Him.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Scholar8200(m): 3:00pm On Apr 13, 2015
Papist:

However it is important to note that this doctrine does not prescribe damnation for those who are outside the Body of Christ for Christ does not punish the ignorant but those who willfully reject Him.
Welcome to this conversation, I could not help but note the contradiction in the quote : both are outside the Body hence the same punishment but different degrees Luke 12:47,48. That is why Christ's message b4 Ascension was the need to preach to every creature because there are only two categories - he that believes and he that believes not. God who reached out to Cornelius in Acts 10 and Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:26,29-40 has a way of drawing the Ignorant to Himself but a lot depends on two people: the Ignorant who may accept or reject , and the Church who may fail to obey ( though Peter and Philip obeyed in the quotes above) but many in the Church are failing today. Note that the angel told devout Cornelius to seek for Peter who'll give him the gospel that he may be saved (ACTS 10:6, 11:14) implication being that his devoutedness (limited due to ignorance) was not an excuse b4 God.
Re: ''extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus'' by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 13, 2015
Scholar8200:
Welcome to this conversation, I could not help but note the contradiction in the quote : both are outside the Body hence the same punishment but different degrees Luke 12:47,48. That is why Christ's message b4 Ascension was the need to preach to every creature because there are only two categories - he that believes and he that believes not. God who reached out to Cornelius in Acts 10 and Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:26,29-40 has a way of drawing the Ignorant to Himself but a lot depends on two people: the Ignorant who may accept or reject , and the Church who may fail to obey ( though Peter and Philip obeyed in the quotes above) but many in the Church are failing today. Note that the angel told devout Cornelius to seek for Peter who'll give him the gospel that he may be saved (ACTS 10:6, 11:14) implication being that his devoutedness (limited due to ignorance) was not an excuse b4 God.
Well I'm not sure if you disagree with the fact that the Church is The Body and Christ The Head. However on the topic of invincible ignorance I have to say the ignorant are still able to be saved through the Church for Christ came to save all and the ignorant are judged according to their consciences for God's Natural Law is imprinted on every soul for the knowledge of good and evil. Peace and God bless.

(1) (Reply)

A Question We All Forgot ?? / Lagos City-wide Crusade With CAN And Pastor Kumuyi / Another Hijabite Corper We All Need To See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.