Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,316 members, 7,822,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture (2790 Views)

How To Apply For CBN Agriculture LOAN 2016 (NO COLLATERAL) / Download Myfree Report To Learn How To Make Profitable Investment In Agriculture / Investing In Agriculture - Important Facts To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 14, 2015
Hi members,
I want us to use this thread to inform our members about basics in any area of agriculture. No big grammar ,everyday examples welcomed.

Sizes in farm plots
HECTARE
A hectare is 10000 square meters. This means that the field or farm will measure 100meters in length and 100 meters in width. if u multiply the figures in the lenght and that of the with that is what the size of your farm is.For example a farm that measures 30 meters by 50 meters is calculated thus:30 x 50 = 1500sqm. standard football field is approximately 8000sqm, 2000 Sqm less than a hectare.

ACRE
An acre measures 4 046.85642 square meters that means half of a football field with some margins.

In pesticide and fertilizer application you can use the sqm to determine the rate of application. For example if 1kg of atrazine(selective herbicide used for maize,cassava,&yam) is available for use in a 100sqm farm but the label reads 1.5kg for 1 hectare.What you do is to divide 1 hectare(10000sqm)by 100sqm(size of farm) it will give you 100 so you can then divide the herbicide into 100 parts. 1 part will comfortably handle your 100sqm farm.- no waste.

2 Likes

Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 4:59am On Apr 14, 2015
Application of insecticide on cucumber
You may be surprised to notice that your young cucumber is loved by many insects to your detriment and your thought will go to application of insecticides. Please be careful to apply it at the initial stage but once you notice the emergence of female flowers stop the use as that will kill or scare the pollinators among the insects away.
On the alternative if you are willing to hand pollinate by yourself you can spray at any time. To hand pollinate get the male flowers - remove the petals carefully to expose the pollen grain - use it to touch the anterior of the female flower. You can also use artist brush .
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 5:27am On Apr 14, 2015
Moulds or ridges
Moulds may seem traditional but can't compare their advantages to ridges.
ridges are easier to make ,makes farm work-flow easy,contains more plants, more orderly, easy for pesticide application, brings out better farm aesthetic .
...now begin to ask WHY
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 6:46am On Apr 14, 2015
At N40000 you can get an irrigation kit that can cover 500sqm. its possible
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 15, 2015
If you are planning to make it in agriculture pls start now to practice. Watch all bodies on your agri area of interest,read wide and ask questions
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by DICON2: 9:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
happybrother:
Hi members,
I want us to use this thread to inform our members about basics in any area of agriculture. No big grammar ,everyday examples welcomed.

Sizes in farm plots
HECTARE
A hectare is 10000 square meters. This means that the field or farm will measure 100meters in length and 100 meters in width. if u multiply the figures in the lenght and that of the with that is what the size of your farm is.For example a farm that measures 30 meters by 50 meters is calculated thus:30 x 50 = 1500sqm. standard football field is approximately 8000sqm, 2000 Sqm less than a hectare.

ACRE
An acre measures 4 046.85642 square meters that means half of a football field with some margins.

In pesticide and fertilizer application you can use the sqm to determine the rate of application. For example if 1kg of atrazine(selective herbicide used for maize,cassava,&yam) is available for use in a 100sqm farm but the label reads 1.5kg for 1 hectare.What you do is to divide 1 hectare(10000sqm)by 100sqm(size of farm) it will give you 100 so you can then divide the herbicide into 100 parts. 1 part will comfortably handle your 100sqm farm.- no waste.

Good day, please can I use atrazine before planting melon, I heard it will prevent it from growing.
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 4:35am On Apr 18, 2015
DICON2:

Good day, please can I use atrazine before planting melon, I heard it will prevent it from growing.
no .Use paraquat before planting. but remember that paraquat doesn't stick to the soil like atraz. Also its residual effect doesn't affect ungerminated seeds of weeds
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by DICON2: 11:49am On Apr 18, 2015
happybrother:

no .Use paraquat before planting. but remember that paraquat doesn't stick to the soil like atraz. Also its residual effect doesn't affect ungerminated seeds of weeds
What can I do, I have used atraforce already, please what can I do? can I still plant my watermelon?
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by OLAMIMO12(m): 5:07pm On Apr 18, 2015
happybrother:
At N40000 you can get an irrigation kit that can cover 500sqm. its possible
pls hook me up on whatsapp 07038374167
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Soloxam(m): 9:52pm On Apr 18, 2015
DICON2:

What can I do, I have used atraforce already, please what can I do? can I still plant my watermelon?
Oga don't dear plant any vegies on that plot now better plant casava or maize.

2 Likes

Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 6:50am On Apr 19, 2015
OLAMIMO12:

pls hook me up on whatsapp 07038374167
Just switch to maize,cassava and yam.
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 7:53pm On Apr 19, 2015
Irrigation is the key and we stock the best in the country.
watsapp 08057021372
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 19, 2015
if you intend to be an agricultural entrepreneur start practical agri today by owning a mini of your dream area of interest.
Pray for national peace so that you can do a cross-zone farming.
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 19, 2015
On Thursday I used water hose to wet cucumber ridges ...guest what? it deveoped yellow spot on leaves.
Googled it :

Yellow Spots on Leaves—Pseudomonas
syringae: Cucumbers often develop yellow
spots on the leaves. These are caused by the
bacterium Pseudomonas syringae. They have
little effect on yield, but they make the leaves
unattractive. These bacteria spread on wet
leaves, especially when the wet leaves are
handled. Avoid overhead watering or working
in the garden after watering or rain to reduce
incidence and spread.
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 20, 2015
Some irrigation methods

Irrigation is the the controlled application of water
for agricultural purposes through manmade
systems to supply water requirements not satisfied
by rainfall. Crop irrigation is vital throughout the
world in order to provide the world's ever-growing
populations with enough food. Many different
irrigation methods are used worldwide, including:

1. Center-Pivot: Automated sprinkler irrigation
achieved by automatically rotating the sprinkler
pipe or boom, supplying water to the sprinkler
heads or nozzles, as a radius from the center of
the field to be irrigated. Water is delivered to the
center or pivot point of the system. The pipe is
supported above the crop by towers at fixed
spacings and propelled by pneumatic, mechanical,
hydraulic, or electric power on wheels or skids in
fixed circular paths at uniform angular speeds.
Water is applied at a uniform rate by progressive
increase of nozzle size from the pivot to the end of
the line. The depth of water applied is determined
by the rate of travel of the system. Single units are
ordinarily about 1,250 to 1,300 feet long and
irrigate about a 130-acre circular area

2. Drip: A planned irrigation system in which water is
applied directly to the Root Zone of plants by
means of applicators (orifices, emitters, porous
tubing, perforated pipe, etc.) operated under low
pressure with the applicators being placed either
on or below the surface of the ground.

3. Flood: The application of irrigation water where the
entire surface of the soil is covered by ponded
water.

4. Furrow: A partial surface flooding method of
irrigation normally used with clean-tilled crops
where water is applied in furrows or rows of
sufficient capacity to contain the designed
irrigation system.

5. Gravity: Irrigation in which the water is not pumped
but flows and is distributed by gravity.
Rotation: A system by which irrigators receive an
allotted quantity of water, not a continuous rate, but
at stated intervals.

6. Sprinkler: A planned irrigation system in which
water is applied by means of perforated pipes or
nozzles operated under pressure so as to form a
spray pattern.

7. Subirrigation: Applying irrigation water below the
ground surface either by raising the water table
within or near the root zone or by using a buried
perforated or porous pipe system that discharges
directly into the root zone.

8. Traveling Gun: Sprinkler irrigation system
consisting of a single large nozzle that rotates and
is self-propelled. The name refers to the fact that
the base is on wheels and can be moved by the
irrigator or affixed to a guide wire.

9. Supplemental: Irrigation to ensure increased crop
production in areas where rainfall normally
supplies most of the moisture needed.

10. Surface : Irrigation where the soil surface is used
as a conduit, as in furrow and border irrigation as
opposed to sprinkler irrigation or subirrigation.

Source: https://water.usgs.gov/edu/irquicklook.html
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 20, 2015
DRIP IRRIGATION @ AFFORDABLE RATE

Get your irrigation kit from us. We stock 500sqm, 1000sqm and more. Call us or watts app us on 08057021372. It starts from N40000.
All you need except storage tank.

Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 21, 2015
PLANT POPULATION PER HECTARE

How many seedlings are required in one hectare
plantation and what are the common spacings
adopted?
The number of seedlings required is computed by
dividing 10,000 square meters by the spacing used
plus a 20 per cent mortality allowance. The
commonly used spacings in plantation
establishment are 2 meters x 2 meters, 2 meters x
3 meters, 3 meters x 3 meters, and 4 meters x 4
meters. The number of seedlings required per
hectare for the aforementioned spacings are:
a) 3,000 seedlings (2m x 2m);
b) 2,000 seedlings (2m
x 3m);
c) 1,333 seedlings (3m x 3m);
d) 750 seedlings (4m x 4m).
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 2:44am On Apr 14, 2018
Switching to chemical weed control.
You don't need to do things the old ways to get a better result. This assertion is best suited to weed management. Manual weeding breaks the back,breaks the pocket and ruin your resources. To move ahead and better too, you shiul figure out the best herbicides that suits your crop farm. Read wide and deep. For example if I am doing cassava and maize I should use atrazine herbicides as a pre-emergence (before weeds germinate). It can be mixed with paraquat so that emerged weeds will be killed .
You need to figure out the timing as knowing terms like pre- emergence,post-emergence, early post- emergence are key to understanding the appropriate use and mode of action.
Cost: For example in Umuahia we buy a kilogram of atrazine WP at N2200. and it will be used for 15 sprays of 16 litter knapsack. Then paraquat is N1600 and it will go for 10 sprays of 16 litre knapsack. This goes to show that a tank mix of the two herbicides used for pre and early post-emergence will cost N380 which will cover an area of 500 square meters within an hour. Now my question is "which alternative offers this efficiency and effectiveness in one pack?
Switch over, learn from researches.
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 3:00am On Apr 14, 2018
Cassava plant population for profit.
Have you wondered why high yield eludes some cassava farmers ? This is because some basic things were nt done appropriately and one of them is plant population. Let's use a typical rural farmer who uses hips s instead of ridges. Most plant 4 stem cuttings per hip and some even push that boundary. All things being equal, the yield from this hip will be less than that hip planted with just two cuttings. Also the hip planted with two cuttings will give a good stem that is not too tiny. So if you are 0anting in a normal small hip plant 2 stems but if it's the big hips plant 3 stems.
However to maximize yield farm on ridges as it will afford you the opportunity to plant in an orderly way of 1 meter by 0.8 meters for single stem types like TMS 419 or 1metre by 1metre for spreading types.
Enjoy farming.
Re: Basic Farm Knowledge: Explaining The Basics In Agriculture by Nobody: 3:04am On Apr 14, 2018
Cassava plant population for profit.
Have you wondered why high yield eludes some cassava farmers ? This is because some basic things were nt done appropriately and one of them is plant population. Let's use a typical rural farmer who uses hips s instead of ridges. Most plant 4 stem cuttings per hip and some even push that boundary. All things being equal, the yield from this hip will be less than that hip planted with just two cuttings. Also the hip planted with two cuttings will give a good stem that is not too tiny. So if you are planting in a normal small hip plant 2 stems but if it's the big hips plant 3 stems.
However to maximize yield ,farm on ridges as it will afford you the opportunity to plant in an orderly way of 1 meter by 0.8 meters for single stem types like TMS 419 or 1metre by 1metre for spreading types.
Enjoy farming.

(1) (Reply)

Keto: Zero Carb Rice, Noodles And Flour / Wholesale Maize And Sugar Cane Farmers Needed / Do You Need To Fix Your Water Storage Plastic Tank?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.