Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,737 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

TECH: Smart Phones Could Be Used To Detect Earthquakes - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / TECH: Smart Phones Could Be Used To Detect Earthquakes (632 Views)

Nigeria Is Not Immuned From Earth Tremors, Earthquakes, Volcanoes And Typhoons / These 3 Apps Can Help You Detect Unknown Callers / 25 Worst Earthquakes In History(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

TECH: Smart Phones Could Be Used To Detect Earthquakes by mustyhboy(m): 5:06pm On Apr 14, 2015
The cellphone in your pocket could soon save you from an earthquake. Researchers have shown that it is possible to use GPS data from smart phones to detect tremors, potentially providing an early warning system to those who have not yet been hit.

"What’s really nice about this work is they are using sensors that people carry around anyway," says geophysicist Kristine Larson of the University of Colorado, Boulder. "It could be very, very useful."
In the moments before an earthquake, a few extra seconds can mean the difference between life and death. With a little bit of warning, people can take shelter, nuclear power plants can take last-minute precautions, and natural gas utilities can shut down pipelines. Japan has an early warning system that relies on more than 1000 seismometers throughout the country, which saved lives during the magnitude-9 Tohoku earthquake that hit in 2011. A similar system exists in Mexico, and another is under study in California. But such systems are expensive and time-consuming to install and maintain, making cellphones an attractive alternative, especially for earthquake-prone countries in the developing world.

Previous studies of crowdsourcing earthquake early warning systems have relied on phones' accelerometers, which estimate the phone's movement, rather than GPS tracking, which locates the absolute position of the phone using satellites. Scientific GPS stations have already been used to detect earthquakes, but...
read the full post here... http://ajidaraviews..com/2015/04/tech-smart-phones-could-be-used-to.html

Re: TECH: Smart Phones Could Be Used To Detect Earthquakes by Insuurance(m): 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2015
Ok, I got the Info. I want u to know that I'm a GREAT music producer and lecturer at MOUAU. I'm based at Umuahia; but available in all states of the federation and other countries because of concerts and other seminars or outreach programmes.

I do RnB, rap, Hip hop, spoken words, Soul, worship, Raggea and dance hall music. If you wanna be a star, get in touch with me.

You can Whatapps on +234-07062586862 (or call me).

Facebook me at www.facebook.com/D.Insurance.

I'm also a song writer, motivational speaker; project analyst, system engineer, researcher, agricultural economist, Marketer; studio manager, researcher, part time teacher, Video/music producer and an upcoming politician.

We could be friends; you'll never regret of knowing me. I ll help to spice up ur music/video production; while still improving ur other aspects of lives. Give it a try Now!

AKA Insurance DSS (De Super Star!).
Re: TECH: Smart Phones Could Be Used To Detect Earthquakes by Insuurance(m): 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2015
Ok, I got the Info. I want u to know that I'm a GREAT music producer and lecturer at MOUAU. I'm based at Umuahia; but available in all states of the federation and other countries because of concerts and other seminars or outreach programmes.

I do RnB, rap, Hip hop, spoken words, Soul, worship, Raggea and dance hall music. If you wanna be a star, get in touch with me.

I'm also a song writer, motivational speaker; project analyst, system engineer, researcher, agricultural economist, Marketer; studio manager, researcher, part time teacher, Video/music producer and an upcoming politician.

We could be friends; you'll never regret of knowing me. I ll help to spice up ur music/video production; while still improving ur other aspects of lives. Give it a try Now!

mustyhboy:
The cellphone in your pocket could soon save you from an earthquake. Researchers have shown that it is possible to use GPS data from smart phones to detect tremors, potentially providing an early warning system to those who have not yet been hit.
"What’s really nice about this work is they are using sensors that people carry around anyway," says geophysicist Kristine Larson of the University of Colorado, Boulder. "It could be very, very useful."
In the moments before an earthquake, a few extra seconds can mean the difference between life and death. With a little bit of warning, people can take shelter, nuclear power plants can take last-minute precautions, and natural gas utilities can shut down pipelines. Japan has an early warning system that relies on more than 1000 seismometers throughout the country, which saved lives during the magnitude-9 Tohoku earthquake that hit in 2011. A similar system exists in Mexico, and another is under study in California. But such systems are expensive and time-consuming to install and maintain, making cellphones an attractive alternative, especially for earthquake-prone countries in the developing world.
Previous studies of crowdsourcing earthquake early warning systems have relied on phones' accelerometers, which estimate the phone's movement, rather than GPS tracking, which locates the absolute position of the phone using satellites. Scientific GPS stations have already been used to detect earthquakes, but...
read the full post here... http://ajidaraviews..com/2015/04/tech-smart-phones-could-be-used-to.html

(1) (Reply)

Stop Ikeja Electricity Distribution Bill And Use Inverter And Solar Power Supply / What Makes NIBIRU Different From Other Planets? / Alert: Earthquake In Nigeria's South West Before 2020!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.