Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? (984 Views)

Masters Degree Holder Spotted Seeking Job By Showing His Credentials On Placard / #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me / Is It Better To Send Cvs In Pdf Or Word Format? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by Tvaddict: 11:24pm On Apr 15, 2015
The rate at which Nigerian graduates apply for postgraduate degree has skyrocketed over the years. This made me ask myself a question, Are these university graduate chasing a masters degree because they want to increase their knowledge about a particular field or it is due to unemployment.

In my opinion, I think most graduates are turning the postgraduate program to a backup up plan just in case there is difficulty getting a job. I would not blame them but our government that has failed us in so many ways. Why would an individual study in the university for 5years and graduate with a good grade find it difficult to get a job for like two (2) years and you expect such person to continue job hunting without a backup plan or something else to turn to.

This is my idea of what university graduates do today.

After the NYSC year they search for a job. If in 1-2years after their service year there is still no job
They apply for postgraduate degree in a reputable university
Then begin the 18months program, in some schools the Postgraduate degree (Masters) run for (two)2 years.

This is where I think there should be a rethink. Note that am not discouraging you from pursuing a masters degree but if you are considering to apply for a postgraduate degree because you are fed up of searching for a job.

I'll say sit down and think about what am going to say now:

Am I going to improve myself by going for this program
After your 18months masters programme, is there an assurance I'll still get a job with my newly acquired degree?
Do I have passion for a particular skill?

Why I said you should ask yourself those questions is because:

1. Whatever wont add value to you now or in future..... DON'T DO IT!!

2. Is there a job waiting for you that says you need a masters degree before you can get me? If not consider using the money to start up something or continue your job hunt and try to improve yourself as you do so .

NOTE: If you intend to be a Lecturer, you need the Masters degree!!!

3. If you have passion for a particular skill?? Whatever it may be, you can get better at it and establish yourself to be your own boss.

I still want to ask your opinion too.... Should graduates consider entrepreneurship as an escape route to unemployment or pursuing a Masters degree is a better option?
Re: Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by redcliff: 11:45pm On Apr 15, 2015
Firstly i want to iterate here that people do not know the reason why they go for post graduate degrees... right now post graduate such as masters is becoming so rampant especially with the advent of private universities in Nigeria. I have alot of friends that went to do masters and they are back home and doing nothing because even the uk most of them are running to is not making their after study stay bloomy. First of all, the real problem is that most young people trying to further right now do not have future plans for themselves. M.sc is no longer seen as a journey embarked on for the pursue of further knowledge rather its has become more of an unecessary necessity most people jump into. I advice folks that if you do not know why you want to do a masters degree you should not venture into it. A first degree and lots of knowledge outside school would help in your life pursuit.

Lastly, if there is a re orientation of young people these days about acquiring a degree just to be called "educated" would be very essential because there seem to be a misunderstanding about education in our society these days

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by HooxJnr(m): 7:01am On Apr 16, 2015
I am currently running my postgraduate degree having stayed at home for a year without a job. I have decided to combine my program with a skill acquisition program. At the end of it all, I intend to set up my own venture. The most important thing is that, whatever you do, don't stay idle more than a year after graduation.
Re: Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by kachnov(m): 8:30am On Apr 16, 2015
In total,most peeps spend close to 10 million naira (tuition and other expenses inclusive),just to embark on a masters degree abroad.
That in itself can set up a SME ,or even if you are too lazy to even run a firm,one can just buy a land,build and rent it out and that's income for life which can help sponsor other ventures.
Re: Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 16, 2015
Business all the way if you have got a good business plan. .. Even after your masters degree, you still have to struggle for trainee jobs with Bsc holders. .. Masters is best when you already have a defined career path. .

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by KillerBeauty(f): 9:16am On Apr 16, 2015
A lot of young Nigerians are just wasting their money piling up certificates to the ceiling when what's employers are looking for is work experience. Whether its experience as a street marketer, office assistant or purchasing of items to sell all of them counts in the job environment. Masters is good but I think its better to do it when you already have a career path you are building on. For me its best to fill your head with raw street knowledge and business ideas than filling your head up with bookish notions that will not fit into your day to day life.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship Or Masters Degree?? Which Is Better To Pursue As A Graduate? by henrixx(m): 1:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
it depends. Not evryone can be an entrpreneur or be in a job. But the reality is that THERE ARE NO JOBS IN NIGERIA in the sense dat the befittin jobs are a man-know-man affair, y the getable ones wil make u underemployed nd underpaid. To me ill prefer to be self employed. It may take time but If u becom sucessful u r made... But making it on a job is such an uncertain process in nigeria

(1) (Reply)

U Connect Job As Of Today 16th April, 2015 / Vacancy In Port Harcourt / Need People To Resell Security/ Spy Gadgets In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.