Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University (6018 Views)

Opeyemi Enoch Has NOT Solved The Riemann Hypothesis: Didnt Get Any $1M / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M / Website to Get Info on uk or Us University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by OluwaKANYE: 7:17pm On Jan 29, 2009
United States based Nigerian billionaire, Dr. Kase Lawal on Tuesday donated $1m to his alma mater, Texas Southern University, Houston.

He graduated with a Bachelor‘s degree in 1976 from the institution.

In a statement by the university obtained by Empowered Newswire, a US-based news agency, the school said the donation established ”the Lawal Centre for Global Trade in the Jesse H. Jones School of Business at Texas Southern University and that Lawal‘s donation ”is the largest from an alumnus in the history of the university.”

The donation will establish the Lawal Centre for Global Trade through an endowment which will attract renowned faculty and provide endowed scholarships to attract talented students.

According to the President of the TSU, Dr. John Rudley “one of the proudest moments in the life of any university, is when one of its graduates not only achieves success, but when that alumnus shares his or her success with others.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200901290453234
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by TOYOSI20(f): 7:30pm On Jan 29, 2009
In as much as i find this humanitarian gesture a good one but I'm i missing something here??

What happened to the schools in Nigeria, what happened to the hungry children in Nigeria what happened to

the hospitals in Nigeria??

What happened to the bad roads, the Orphans, the destitute, the less privileged back home??

I'm thinking misplaced priorities here!!!
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by jerseyguy(m): 7:39pm On Jan 29, 2009
Toyosi - this is not bad. I guess he has fully adopted US as home - from the news, he graduated there in 1976, long time ago. The good news here is the boost to our image here in the States. Afterall, this particular news from Houston is not related to fraud.

Hopefully, it will motivate the rich folks in Naija (looters and non-looters) to copy this kind of good deed! The rich Naija folks always donate to churches (though I have heard of a few that helped rebuilt hospitals).
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Jan 29, 2009
jerseyguy:

Toyosi - this is not bad. I guess he has fully adopted US as home - from the news, he graduated there in 1976, long time ago. The good news here is the boost to our image here in the States. Afterall, this particular news from Houston is not related to fraud.

Hopefully, it will motivate the rich folks in Naija (looters and non-looters) to copy this kind of good deed! The rich Naija folks always donate to churches (though I have heard of a few that helped rebuilt hospitals).

What the heck does that even mean?? Whose Image? Why the connection??
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Muza(m): 7:44pm On Jan 29, 2009
see wat brain drain has caused intellectuals
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by ilaugh1: 7:46pm On Jan 29, 2009
these are the kind of diasporians i reckon with, not these poor, loud mouths on Nairaland who are unknown outside the four corner of their rooms.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by TOYOSI20(f): 7:55pm On Jan 29, 2009
jerseyguy:

I hear ya. . .and i most def. see where u coming from. . . . .

I personally am a firm believer in giving back. . .afterall is it not better to give than to receive??

All I'm saying is that in as much as Dr Lawal is a philanthropist or however it is we might want to qualify him, i still say

home is where it starts, really haven't heard of anything hes done for the people that really need it back home,

And whats wrong wid sponsoring highly gifted kids form back home to study here, be it his school or wherever else

now I'm looking at this from a "give a man fish and u feed him for a day. . .

but teach him to fish and u feed him for a life time'. . .point-of-view now.

I mean a milla is a whole Lotta chedderz, and it would certainly go a long way back in Nigeria!!
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by BOSS7: 8:01pm On Jan 29, 2009
i_laugh:

these are the kind of diasporians i reckon with, not these poor, loud mouths on Nairaland who are unknown outside the four corner of their rooms.
Your country Nigeria probably denied him the rights because of the stupid connections of gaining entrances into Nigerian Universities and that's why he thought he might as well give the money to the people who actually made him. You could suck on it dumbo.

Of course that's the full effect of brain drain. Keep on praising the dead country called Nigeria rather than criticise in times of mismanagement. And by the way, aren't you shooting yourself in the foot because he didn't give his hard earned money to your dear Nigeria rather he gave it to his dear America. IDIOT.
Oh, and I noticed that - Broken News.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:04pm On Jan 29, 2009
Charity begins at home. There are so many scholarships nigerians abroad dont qualify for or cant apply. He could have set up a scholarship fund for nigerians at home or abroad. Chinese people have loads of scholarship for their citizens all over the world. I don't get why he is not thinking of his people. I am sure the money will go to a new building, gym or expanding cafeteria or something.  Hehe, There will be a Lawal Hall at TSU

I guess he wants the fame of donating it directly to university. Then again, i am glad he is doing something positive with his money.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by BOSS7: 8:08pm On Jan 29, 2009
lacrimose:

Charity begins at home.
how are you sure he's not fully disowned Nigeria as a country? How are you sure he thought he'll not had become whom he is if not for the sake of that University as opposed to attending a Nigerian University (the same sentiments was uttered by my former lecturer at Imperial College London who used to be a lecturer at OAU Ife).
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Kobojunkie: 8:09pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Your country Nigeria probably denied him the rights because of the stupid connections of gaining entrances into Nigerian Universities and that's why he thought he might as well give the money to the people who actually made him. You could suck on it dumbo.

Of course that's the full effect of brain drain. Keep on praising the dead country called Nigeria rather than criticise in times of mismanagement. And by the way, aren't you shooting yourself in the foot because he didn't give his hard earned money to your dear Nigeria rather he gave it to his dear America. IDIOT.Oh, and I noticed that - Broken News.

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

how are you sure he's not fully disowned Nigeria as a country? How are you sure he thought he'll not had become whom he is if not for the sake of that University as opposed to attending a Nigerian University (the same sentiments was uttered by my former lecturer at Imperial College London who used to be a lecturer at OAU Ife).

This man lives in nigeria, i believe (I am not sure) but if he lives in nigeria then nigeria is definately home. Funny enough, a professor(Nigerian professor who also relocated to US to teach) of mine was also talking about this same guy and his life in nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by oderemo(m): 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2009
What happened to the bad roads, the Orphans, the destitute, the less privileged back home??[code][/code][tt][/tt]

these are his problems to fix eh?
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Kobojunkie: 8:15pm On Jan 29, 2009
lacrimose:

Charity begins at home. There are so many scholarships nigerians abroad dont qualify for or cant apply. He could have set up a scholarship fund for nigerians at home or abroad. Chinese people have loads of scholarship for their citizens all over the world. I don't get why he is not thinking of his people. I am sure the money will go to a new building, gym or expanding cafeteria or something.  Hehe, There will be a Lawal Hall at TSU

I guess he wants the fame of donating it directly to university. Then again, i am glad he is doing something positive with his money.

1) The Money is his own ( This is assuming he did not get it from fraudulent means) and hence has a right to spend it as he chooses.  If this was Nigeria’s money, then I would expect it be spent on Nigeria first but we still have our Yar Adua who is busy sending millions to Myanmar and Zimbabwe while our lands and infrastructure continue to rot.
2) The man may have a Nigerian name, does not mean he fancies himself one.
3) Donating is not always about fame. I guess one of the reasons it made the news is because of the size of the donation
4) It is definitely a mistake, in my opinion, to assume the accomplishments of one or any Nigerian belongs to the nation, unless that person specifies it is.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by BOSS7: 8:16pm On Jan 29, 2009
lacrimose:

This man lives in nigeria, i believe (I am not sure) but if he lives in nigeria then nigeria is definately home.

To be honest, it doesn't matter where he lives because as far as he's concerned Texas Southern University made him what he is today and so he believes he owes them plus the article states that "United States based Nigerian billionaire, Dr. Kase Lawal on Tuesday donated $1m to his alma mater, Texas Southern University, Houston" so I guess he stays in the USA.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by ilaugh1: 8:20pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Of course that's the full effect of brain drain. Keep on praising the dead country called Nigeria rather than criticise in times of mismanagement. And by the way, aren't you shooting yourself in the foot because he didn't give his hard earned money to your dear Nigeria rather he gave it to his dear America. IDIOT.
Oh, and I noticed that - Broken News.

No, I am not the idiot - it is your father, mother and everybody who has anything to do with you that qualifies as idiots because they havent found it necessary to send you back to golgotha where u belong.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by BOSS7: 8:21pm On Jan 29, 2009
i_laugh:

No, I am not the idiot - it is your father, mother and everybody who has anything to do with you that qualifies as idiots because they havent found it necessary to send you back to golgotha where u belong.

ROTFLMAO   

grin grin grin

WHAT A DIV
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by MrCrackles(m): 8:23pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kase Lawal can do whatever he wants with his money

His decision cant be questioned, can it? NAH

Do your thing fat-man!
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

1) The Money is his own ( This is assuming he did not get it from fraudulent means) and hence has a right to spend it as he chooses.  If this was Nigeria’s money, then I would expect it be spent on Nigeria first but we still have our Yar Adua who is busy sending millions to Myanmar and Zimbabwe while our lands and infrastructure continue to rot.
2) The man may have a Nigerian name, does not mean he fancies himself one.
3) Donating is not always about fame. I guess one of the reasons it made the news is because of the size of the donation
4) It is definitely a mistake, in my opinion, to assume the accomplishments of one or any Nigerian belongs to the nation, unless that person specifies it is.

3. I think it is about fame. People donate to Universities all the time, but it only reaches the news when it is a large sum donated directly to the university. Everyone knows if u want if u want ur name to be remembered, all u need to do is to give a large sum of money towards a building and hey the building is named after u for life(sometimes). He could have given the same amount in funds that would directly change impact students and no one would hear about it.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by diggler(m): 8:25pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kase lawal's Camac Holdings has made a ton of money trading in Nigerian Crude.
His lucrative crude lifting contracts were gotten through the usual hanky panky dealings with whatever government that's in power.

So in the end 'i[b]ts your money that he's giving freely to TSU[/b]'.

However, If they r caveats that enable students of Nigerian origin to benefit from his largesse, then i'd say he's gotten partial redemption.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2009
Mr B.O.S.S

B.O.S.S.:

To be honest, it doesn't matter where he lives because as far as he's concerned Texas Southern University made him what he is today and so he believes he owes them plus the article states that "United States based Nigerian billionaire, Dr. Kase Lawal on Tuesday donated $1m to his alma mater, Texas Southern University, Houston" so I guess he stays in the USA.

I really dont care where he lives. Fine there are many nigerians who have disowned nigeria for personal reasons but there are still some that would never forget where they come from. I am sure the university is not what made him. Excuse me, I apologize for this in advance but TSU is a crappy school and so is prairie view A &M. So i believe he had it in him before he attended those schools. Obviously he his trying to identify with the university since he is loaded.

By the way, i think he is just a good business man that's why he is successful, who goes to prairie view A & M for MBA when there are better schools around Houston.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by TOYOSI20(f): 8:36pm On Jan 29, 2009
No one is saying he cant do w/e he wants wid his money afterall, its his hard earned dough

all I'm saying is that get no kudos from me for that. . . .or should i say a pat on the back

cos i strongly believe the money would have touched so many more lives back home,

And then again this is really just ma two cent!!! wink

@ Lacrimose

I do catch ur drift. . . .
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Jan 29, 2009
lacrimose:

Mr B.O.S.S

I really dont care where he lives. Fine there are many nigerians who have disowned nigeria for personal reasons but there are still some that would never forget where they come from. I am sure the university is not what made him. Excuse me, I apologies for this in advance but TSU is a crappy school and so is prairie view A &M. So i believe he had it in him before he attended those schools. Obviously he his trying to identify with the university since he is loaded.

Are you somehow implying that those, according to you “that would never forget where they come from”?

Why are you now attacking the school? He is trying to identify with a crappy school since he is loaded? He had it in him?? What is this?
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by BOSS7: 8:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
lacrimose:

Mr B.O.S.S
I really dont care where he lives. Fine there are many nigerians who have disowned nigeria for personal reasons but there are still some that would never forget where they come from.
Fair enough

lacrimose:

I am sure the university is not what made him.
How are you sure that it's not the university that made him?

lacrimose:

Excuse me, I apologies for this in advance but TSU is a crappy school and so is prairie view A &M. So i believe he had it in him before he attended those schools. Obviously he his trying to identify with the university since he is loaded.
The fact that the university is crap does not mean you'll not have some great people from there eventually. I graduated from Imperial College but I could tell you some of the employees in my office are from some of the same universities I criticise so I wouldn't buy that argument unfortunately.

In a nutshell, I still think you can not tell this man how to spend his money. I don't agree with him giving the money away neither do I disagree with him giving the money to Nigeria. It doesn't float my boat.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 29, 2009
Hisssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

This is kinda news that makes me want to smack some Nigerians senseless!!

Nonsense!

While your brothers are suffering from lack of education in  Nigeria, you're in USA donating money to America Universities that can still offer financial AIDs to their students. Pure nonsense.

To the person that mentioned "good image in America", you're very stupid. How will this so called good image help Nigeria, academically?
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by aieromon(m): 8:49pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kase Lukman Lawal was born in Ibadan in 1954. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in chemistry from Texas Southern University in 1976, and his MBA from Prairie View A&M University, Texas in 1978. He is the chairman and chief executive officer of CAMAC International Corporation and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS; vice chairman, Port of Houston Authority Commission. He also serves as a member of the board of directors and is a significant shareholder in Unity National Bank, the only federally insured and licensed African-American-owned bank in Texas. Lukman Lawal was a member of the National Republican Congressional Committee's Business Advisory Council and, in 1994, he was a finalist for the United States Business Entrepreneur of the Year.

Education: Texas Southern University, BS, 1976; Prairie View A&M, MBA, 1978.

Career: Shell Oil Refining Company, 1975–1977, process engineer; Dresser Industries, 1977–1979, research chemist; Suncrest Investment Corporation, 1980–1982, vice president; Baker Investments, 1982–1986, president; CAMAC Holdings, 1986–, chief executive officer and president; Port of Houston Authority Board of Commissioners, 1999–2000, commissioner; 2000–, vice chairman; Allied Energy Corporation, 1991–, chairman.
Awards: USAfrica Business Person of the Year, USAfrica The Newspaper, 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kase_Lukman_Lawal

omg,this guy copped his BSc at the age of 32.one can imagine what he did in his youth days
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:51pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Are you somehow implying that those, according to you “that would never forget where they come from”?

Why are you now attacking the school? He is trying to identify with a crappy school since he is loaded? He had it in him?? What is this?

I am not attacking the school, I am just that saying to those who believe the university made him.  

He had it in him?? There are some people who would be successful regardless of what school they go. Several examples everywhere, people who dont finish college but are billionaires

He is trying to identify with a crappy school since he is loaded?
Hey, i am just guessing i dont know what is in his head, he might just want the recognition.

He can do what ever with his money but what hurts is when he doesn't give back to his own people. I would like things to be easier for nigerian students coming behind us. For us who have gone through the system, we know how hard it is to qualify for some scholarships, I get mad when i see restrictions for  Korean origins only or US citizens only or Canadians only. I never had this problem but i had friends who were struggling. I know what they went through. It would be nice to have a Nigerian who can do the same to.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:53pm On Jan 29, 2009
HeatFusion:

Hisssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

This is kinda news that makes me want to smack some Nigerians senseless!!

Nonsense!

While your brothers are suffering from lack of education in  Nigeria, you're in USA donating money to America Universities that can still offer financial AIDs to their students. Pure nonsense.

To the person that mentioned "good image in America", you're very stupid. How will this so called good image help Nigeria, academically?              

thank you, this is all i am saying. At least do something for ur own people, either at home or abroad.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
omg,this guy copped his BSc at the age of 32.one can imagine what he did in his youth days
rotflmao!! oh goshhhhhhh
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Kobojunkie: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
lacrimose:

I am not attacking the school, I am just that saying to those who believe the university made him.  

He had it in him?? There are some people who would be successful regardless of what school they go. Several examples everywhere, people who dont finish college but are billionaires

He is trying to identify with a crappy school since he is loaded?
Hey, i am just guessing i dont know what is in his head, he might just want the recognition.

He can do what ever with him money but what hurts is when he doesn't give back to his own people. I would like things to be easier for nigerian students coming behind us. For us who have gone through the system, we know how hard it is to qualify for some scholarships, I get mad when i see restrictions for  Korean origins only or US citizens only or Canadians only. I never had this problem but i had friends who were struggling. I know what they went through. It would be nice to have a Nigerian who can do the same to.

I completely understand what you mean now BUT we can not dictate to individual Nigerians what they can or can not do with their money simply because they are Nigerians.  Who knows, maybe he also donated to some Nigerian scholarship project but that did not make the news as this one did.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 8:59pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I completely understand what you mean now BUT we can not dictate to individual Nigerians what they can or can not do with their money simply because they are Nigerians.  Who knows, maybe he also donated to some Nigerian scholarship project but that did not make the news as this one did.

thats' true, to think about it, if this man got Bsc at 32, nothing is impossible, chei
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by MrCrackles(m): 9:00pm On Jan 29, 2009
I dont know why it pains some people so much just because a fatso decides to buy lollies and Mickydeez with all his pocket money?

Make una free the dude jare, if he doesnt give Nigeria a dime, Nigerians should shut the fuc.k up and move on
! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space / Should I Report This Secondary School Students Always Making Love After School? / Sambo Inaugurates Bauchi State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.