Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,896 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles (1053 Views)

Dismissed Staff Were Adequately Compensated – Heritage Bank / 50% Slash In Salaries Of Heritage Bank Staff? / 400 Disengaged Diamond Bank Staff Protest Non-payment Of Severanc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Boteyy: 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
I happen to veiw myself as a victim of the "Dismissal syndrome" which is now used in Nigeria by may Employers to oppress employees, I happen to have worked for a Micro Finance Bank which was founded and promoted by an Islamic organization (i am a christain), i served in the capacity of Head, Management Information System (a senoir managemet cadre). just to mention, i was the only christain in the Managemet group and BOD. the summary of the incident was that i was given a loan facility together with some other managers including the MD, but the issue is that my loan was stuctured on my account to be repayed just in a month, while others were structured for 6 months repayment, please note my salary was not even up to half the amount collected. on noticing this i meet the head of credit and complained that why should this be so, to my surprise he said he was not the one who did that posting, on enquire i found out that the MD instructed another staff to do that posting, on seeing this i was furious, and as the Head of IT, I went ahead to restructure the loan to the way it should have been normally and how others where treated (i realized that the step i took was not the right one, because i had no authorization to do that). the case was escalated to the board of directors and i was dismissed for fraud and now they are putting pressure on me to come and pay my debt, they almost wanted to seize my car. this incident happened febuary 2015, they refuse to pay my January salary and gave me not a dime or notice i was just dismissed from work like that.

i need the house sincere assesment if i truely deserve the dismissal penalty or do i have a window of vindication in this matter. if i go to court, do i have any justifcation for my act, or do i just start paying back the money bit by bit as i can afford?

i hope to read your assessment / advice soon.

thanks
Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Caracta(f): 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
You have no case. You are lucky you were not arrested.

I'm glad you admit your fault. Restructuring a loan without approval is a fraudulent act.

Before the loan was disbursed, didn't you view the loan structure? Didn't you sign any document? Was the repayment plan not laid out before you?

Settle out of court. That's my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by jaybee3(m): 1:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
What did you first go off tangent with the religion angle when it's quite obvious your offence and subsequent disciplinary action taken by the company had absolutely nothing to do with religion

You can decide to default on the loan but you will always be liable for it.
Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Boteyy: 1:18pm On Apr 16, 2015
@Caracta,

Thanks for the candid opinion, well there is a little story to the disbursement of the loan ... it was a legit loan but no documentation signed ... all was verbal ... only the application requesting for the loan ... and in my application it was clearly stated that it should be structured for six months like others were. pls note this loan was obtained by 2 other staffs and structured for 6 months as it is the default repayment time ...
Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Boteyy: 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2015
@jaybee3 ... there are some incidents and happens that i encountered during my stay with the company that made me mention on the religon aspect ... i choose not to go into that to aviod slander or painting the organisation black, but you can imagine a chairman telling the MD "dont employ christians we dont need them here" ...

1 Like

Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by jaybee3(m): 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2015
Boteyy:
@jaybee3 ... there are some incidents and happens that i encountered during my stay with the company that made me mention on the religon aspect ... i choose not to go into that to aviod slander or painting the organisation black, but you can imagine a chairman telling the MD "dont employ christians we dont need them here" ...
Why didn't you just resign on the spot at the time?

Besides, we are concentrating on the loan you are contemplating reneging on.

You shouldn't have agreed to the terms if it wasn't favourable

You took the dishonest option and that my friend is very wrong
Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Boteyy: 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=jaybee3 post=32784145]
Why didn't you just resign on the spot at the time?
Besides, we are concentrating on the loan you are contemplating reneging on.
You shouldn't have agreed to the terms if it wasn't favourable
You took the dishonest option and that my friend is very wrong

ok let me give you a the complete story because i like ur unbiase views, it started as a contributon between 6 managemet staffs each month in which a staff picks the total contribution for each month, then a staff (the MD) Collected an advice payment as a loan and plegded with is contrbution collections when he gets to collect, the amount he collected as loan was equal to the amount he was to collect from contribution, a month later me and another staff needed cash and we followed suit, On starting another contribution to pay off the amount collected 2 staffs pulled out (as at this period the MD was on leave) so we had to halt, now this money was converted to a loan and booked on our account for 6 months( thats why i said it was all verbal and not documented) the Md and the other staff was structued for 6 month and mine just a month, ... that was the genesis of the issue ...
Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Caracta(f): 2:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
Boteyy:
@Caracta,

Thanks for the candid opinion, well there is a little story to the disbursement of the loan ... it was a legit loan but no documentation signed ... all was verbal ... only the application requesting for the loan ... and in my application it was clearly stated that it should be structured for six months like others were. pls note this loan was obtained by 2 other staffs and structured for 6 months as it is the default repayment time ...

This is why documentation is important. When money is involved, verbal agreement is not enough...especially in the corporate world. What do you even want to present to the court? Their word against yours? The application wasn't even granted on paper.

Forget about the other people. Focus on your situation. They can decide to treat anybody whichever way...their choice not yours. After all, customers are treated differently.

You knew you were "different" right from the day they employed you and probably wouldn't favour you because of religious grounds as you claimed, yet you couldn't cover your ass with a piece of document? By that fraudulent act, you gave them a reason to finally get rid of you.

Sorry bro. Learn your lessons. Appeal for soft loan repayment schedule. Confide in anyone you think can help you talk to them. Move on.

Christians shouldn't do fraud.

1 Like

Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by jaybee3(m): 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
How much was the loan and what's left to pay?
Re: Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles by Boteyy: 2:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
jaybee3:
How much was the loan and what's left to pay?

About 320k ...

(1) (Reply)

5 College Degrees That Will Be Extinct In 20 Years / Microsoft Certified Technical Support Analyst / Working For A Stock Brokerage In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.