Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,733 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. (1927 Views)

5 Soft Skills Employers Are Looking For In Applicants / Nigerian Employers Really Need To Stop This [picture] / 6 Reasons Why Employers Are Not Calling You Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Nobody: 2:17pm On Apr 17, 2015
I'm to have a meeting session with a potential employer today (The second session after a test and a first interview). The interview was billed for 1pm, the secretary came down like 10mins to one to inform us that the boss will meet us when he's(the boss) ready. It's over one hour now and nothing. Who does that?

I feel like storming out in anger but I'm just keeping my Kool.
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Uyi168: 2:37pm On Apr 17, 2015
Persn wey dy find smthing,naim e hand dy lng pax...exercise patience....dooh o

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by resty4(m): 3:26pm On Apr 17, 2015
Patience bros, only he dat endure 2 d end shall b saved.
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by AsherStorm(m): 3:36pm On Apr 17, 2015
hmmmn... na so one bank called me around 5pm yesterday to invite me for an interview by 9am today in akure... of which, I'm in Abeokuta... does it even make sense to invite someone at that kinda very short notice? don't they consider logistics? I gotta prepare my shirt, shoes, tie and more so, akure is abt 5hrs from Abeokuta... smh for these employers sha
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by lalasticlala(m): 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2015
a times, they deliberately do it to knw those that are patient and those that are not....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2015
resty4:
Patience bros, only he dat endure 2 d end shall b saved.

Uyi168:
Persn wey dy find smthing,naim e hand dy lng pax...exercise patience....dooh o

As much I agree with you guys on the patience thing, pls let's keep it real. Most employers of labour in Naija can be very inconsiderate and discourteous. My personal experiences are not different from the OP's case.

I was once kept waiting at an interview for 3 hours when the HR manager and MD finally got around to interviewing me, no one even had the courtesy to apologize for the long delay. I didn't need an explanation but an apology would have been nice, what most of these people fail to understand is that they create a bad impression of themselves.

Mind you I was also put in an extremely cold room where I was freezing, I walked up to the front desk lady and asked if she could please turn down the AC a bit. She said she couldn't as it was a central air conditioning system out of her control. There was no where else to sit except that particular waiting room where I had been put in.

The office location was in one of those areas where you couldn't easily access snacks to munch on unless you walked a long distance or used transportation. I was cold, hungry and exhausted from the wait by the time we interviewed, I knew I wasn't at my best and couldn't be bothered whether I lost the job.

Employers/HR professionals need to show and have more respect for other people's time, schedule and agenda. A relationship works both ways, any kind of relationship. Even the one we share with our Creator (God the Father) and Saviour (Jesus Christ) works both ways so I truly don't get it when an applicant or candidate is expected to be punctual and courteous, meanwhile these expectations/courtesies are not reciprocated.

Its just wrong

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 17, 2015
lalasticlala:
a times, they deliberately do it to knw those that are patient and those that are not....

I hear you but that's just so lame. A person's true character won't surface until they've spent about 90 days on a job. That's when you begin to see what an employee is really like.

Only time will tell if you've made a recruitment error or not as an employer. Some silly mind game of let's wait and see how patient candidate A or B is shallow of any employer.

Candidates should at least have a pleasant interview experience at your organization even if you end up not hiring them, there should at least be a good report about the organization, but I know I'm just preaching to the wind so I better rest my case and move on to other topics.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by ejiykzazi2007(m): 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
It happend to my eldest bro wit an oil company, altho he has a very gud job already, but his dream has alwaz bin oil nd gas. He stormed out of d place with anger, only for the boss to notice nd called d gate not to let him thru, with drama at d gate, d boss himsef requested to see him personally. He said he went and told the boss dat he can't b at a place wasting his tym wen he has oda important tins to do, dat tym is money.

D boss leta calmed him down and d meeting started immediately. Finally, he was among d few dat got d job... I wil do same tin wen d oportunity arises. I see it as knowin ur worth and not allowin employers take u 4 granted...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by bbeckky: 4:32pm On Apr 17, 2015
They are so inconsiderate, i've had my share of this experience too in fact like twice. In fact i once worked wt a boss dat does same too with his employees. What annoys me most is when u go to his office to sign a letter or document nd rather than attending 2 u immediately so u could get d stuff done on time he wud concentrate on his bb or ipad like u were invisible. I had stood for almost 30minutes b4, u wont blive it, i just kept moving my legs to remind him som1 was standing nd waiting 4 him.. dat can be very very annoying.
sihom:

I hear you but that's just so lame. A person's true character won't surface until they've spent about 90 days on a job. That's when you begin to see what an employee is really like.

Only time will tell if you've made a recruitment error or not as an employer. Some silly mind game of let's wait and see how patient candidate A or B is shallow of any employer.

Candidates should at least have a pleasant interview experience at your organization even if you end up not hiring them, there should at least be a good report about the organization, but I know I'm just preaching to the wind so I better rest my case and move on to other topics.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by pearlzy92(f): 4:52pm On Apr 17, 2015
This is really bad. God help us
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2015
What r u guys saying...av been to JUMIA for an interview and I spent 7hours b4 we were attended to, only for them to come and tell us to come some other time.
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by wrench: 7:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
7 hours?? WTF.... I'm Thinking Fast What To Do With My Life After Service.
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by pearlzy92(f): 9:47pm On Apr 17, 2015
[quote author=inviix post=32821013]I'm to have an meeting session with a potential employer today (The second session after a test and a first interview). The interview was billed for 1pm, the secretary came down like 10mins to one to inform us that the boss will meet us when he's(the boss) ready. It's over one hour now and nothing. Who does that?

I feel like storming out in anger but I'm just keeping my Kool.[/quo

How was the interview?
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 17, 2015
[quote author=pearlzy92 post=32835401][/quote]

the interview was disappointing really. I got the job, but the offer was shiit 80k per month, den they want me to sign a bond. I'm not taking up d offer.
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by U2ice(m): 10:57pm On Apr 17, 2015
For some top companies, deliberately wastin of time is an interview session....some even put up hiden cameras 2 watch individual's attitude 2wards dia deliberate act.

So if u were wise, u go carry newspaper de read..
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by U2ice(m): 11:01pm On Apr 17, 2015
bbeckky:
They are so inconsiderate, i've had my share of this experience too in fact like twice. In fact i once worked wt a boss dat does same too with his employees. What annoys me most is when u go to his office to sign a letter or document nd rather than attending 2 u immediately so u could get d stuff done on time he wud concentrate on his bb or ipad like u were invisible. I had stood for almost 30minutes b4, u wont blive it, i just kept moving my legs to remind him som1 was standing nd waiting 4 him.. dat can be very very annoying.

Ehya....dis guy neva jam ,,,smh
(Quote not for u)
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by U2ice(m): 11:05pm On Apr 17, 2015
sihom:

Ehya dis guy neva jam....smh

Well lemme leave u to cont preaching
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by bbeckky: 3:18pm On Apr 18, 2015
U2ice:

Ehya....dis guy neva jam ,,,smh
(Quote not for u)
aii
Re: Nigerian Employers Are Terrible. by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
U2ice:

Ehya dis guy neva jam....smh
Well lemme leave u to cont preaching

Shut up there! Your yeye dey smell

(1) (Reply)

A N120,000 And Above In Abuja / Riddles And Puzzles Whatsapp Group / Help-NIS Recruitment Upload Passport Is Not Loading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.