Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Salient Opportunities Of A Serving Corps Member - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Salient Opportunities Of A Serving Corps Member (1847 Views)

Two Ex-Corpers Who Got Married While Serving In Ebonyi Welcome Baby Boy (Pics) / Corper From Benue Serving In Kano Dies (Photos) / NYSC Personal CDS: Procedures Made Easy For The Prospective And Serving Corps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Salient Opportunities Of A Serving Corps Member by olaolu39(m): 11:50am On Apr 19, 2015
Salient opportunities of a serving Corps member

Back in the days when I was still in school, my classmates and I would joke about this NYSC thing. Our parents and elders, from when we were kids would tell us that one day we would grow up, go to school, get university admission,
become graduates and then get a good job. It is not until we started going through those phases that we realized that they left one part out of the
story and that’s NYSC which stands for National Youth Service Corps.
Beyond aberration, people of different opinion give their views on the mission and vision of NYSC from the scratch.
As an undergraduate, there are so many side attractions that distract students from mapping out some equally important activities such as preparation for life after school. These activities are best done during NYSC because no one is under pressure of the fret of passing or failing, it's more of a ''trial and error'' period. If immediately after schooling, people keep pressing for jobs, it would be so much of pressure if after a few months they are not able to secure one, but a year NYSC is enough time to establish a job search strategy and achieving a chosen/selected career projection.
Some says 'NYSC starts and ends in the Camp', the rest is teaching practice.

This means the fun of serving the nation is actually at the orientation camp where people get to meet fellows for social interaction, cultural mix, mutual understanding of perspectives and networking.
To some others, its a year of suffering and hardship since they had to leave their comfort zones to some crappy village where nothing happens.
The federal government initiated this scheme after the civil war for reconstruction, rehabilitation, and reconciliation (Unity amongst different tribes of the country)
A serving corps member is on the verge of dignity and pride to himself, and to the society at large. This starts to manifest from the day He/She approaches the orientation camp. People in Mammy market would see you as kings and queens...
Many at times I felt people should have this mind set '' once a corper always a corper'', but this isn't the case after the Passing out parade, POP where Corpers identity card would be retrieved and withdrawn in exchange of a certificate of participation.
Whenever I drive, I'm always very confident if any task force/military officer stops me because I also look at myself as one (Para military). This I thought when I'm about submitting my ID card at the point of certificate collection.
Opportunities avail a serving corps member in various ways which is very necessary every corps member should grab before leaving that stage of life. I would outline those opportunities:
1. Ability to meet and approach people that matters: Personally, confidence level of every corps member increases especially on a Khaki Uniform. As a self-starter, it's a good avenue.
People who matter in the society such as the Traditional rulers, Senior government officers and businessmen value the eminence of everyone under this scheme and the possibility of approaching them for business or personal relationship is evident.
I was able to accomplish my personal community development project by the virtue of my networking in the community.

2. Avenue to volunteer and intern for the purpose of garnering professional experience: 99percent of employers crave an idea/prior experience from prospective employees. Even as a teacher during NYSC, a professional experience has been gained and the CV never looks null and void of job experience.

3. A year avenue to scout for prospect: It is not a new thing that company that advert its vacancies do not complete the recruitment process many at times within a year. A corper who applied 7 months before the end of the service year would not stay home for so long before grabbing an opportunity.
Most people make this mistake of applying after POP and end up getting frustrated if after 9 months the company is just calling for an interview.
Wisdom is the principal thing.

4. Ability to discover talents through community development services CDS: Most of our undergraduate activities in school is more of theoretical than practical. We only read to pass and not read to know.
Albeit, the practicability of our various courses are often skipped and we never go on a specialized training at which we can demonstrate them.
Some major departments like Economics in my school don't even go for Industrial attachment.(That is Nigerian educational values for you)
Community development servide during NYSC gives avenue to demonstrate one's abilities, capabilities, attitude and aptitude towards achieving a goal.
An active participation on such shows individual His strength and weaknesses.

5.Business and investment can start from here(1 year serves as a time for feasibility study and test running) you have nothing to lose. You know what best business you can deal with haven't practiced such during a trial and error period. If you embark on it after service, you deem fit to feel ''over careful'' of losing. (This is not a good business sense)

6. Skill acquisition and entrepreneural development (SAED): So good NYSc is really making this worthwhile to all corps members because of the fact that jobs are not guaranteed in the labour market.
Bead making, Farming, Catering etc are skills that could be acquired in this scheme and can be furthered to developing human capacity, making ends meet out of it.
It is not a waste dear corpers.

7. Leadership is being practicalized: various social group and religious groups during the service year are not over emphasized because it gives opportunities for corper to exercise duties in various capacities, serve and delegate roles.
This is a learning session and practical training period to showcase their inborn and made leadership abilities which were never activated in school; since leadership is often emphasized by employers when hiring, even though interviewers would expect you to demonstrate any leadership task you've had previously.
They are also very keen about volunteering services.

1 Like

Re: Salient Opportunities Of A Serving Corps Member by efembaba(m): 8:53pm On Apr 19, 2015
Well said!!

(1) (Reply)

. / Best PPA In Ogun State For Those That Studied Education / Nysc 2 Be Or Not 2 Be ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.