Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? (9194 Views)

Lagos City Polytechnic Condition For Keeping One's Job (Pictured) / 15 Times People Had Just One job To Do But Failed / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by jodeci(m): 3:03pm On Jun 12, 2015
I am a victim of this, from 2006 till date i have worked in 5 coys. I really want to settle down but want that in a major e&p.
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by anonimi: 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2015
Generally ok till you are about 35 years old.
Therafter moving too often becomes alarming for potential/prospective employers.
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Reticular: 3:23pm On Jun 12, 2015
It depends on industries and your career path/role. As an engineer who work in project based organization, you are rated based on the number and size of projects you have handled. Changing job within the industry can be of great help in terms of exposure to varieties of projects.

Moreso, in such industries, you won't really get much pay increase if you stay with one company. Moving to another organisation can earn you as much as 100% salary increase in addition to the new exposure you get. While staying in a place may only fetch as little as 10% salary increase per annum.

Albeit, it suffices to say one should spend the first five (5) years in an industry where you can learn very well and become an authority in your field, to an extent, before moving to a new company. Then two(2) years interval between subsequent move should be okay.

2 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2015
Thanks Guys great contributions so far... especially the one above me (The Engr sample).

How do you handle a case where under one month 3 Top firms in an I.T & Digital Marketing line send you an offer and you just barely got a new job say 2 months? Is it Okay to give them an option of being a consultant?
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2015
in nigeria we primarily change jobs because of salary issues...if we had good salary structures enforced by the labour law on all organizations rearly would one change jobs like wrapper...how many times do we hear of mobil,chevron,total,shell,addax,agip, staff moving from there jobs?...except they are mad...
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2015
It is viewed differently in different countries/sectors.

The most important thing is to develop your competences and build a reputation. If you can do this with one company for say, 3-5 years, you should be free to 'hop'. You are not hopping from company to company for the fun of it and are not making a horizontal move but making an upward, vertical move with bigger responsibilities and better pay. The pay must be better. The more skilful you are, the better pay you command, simple! As a recruiter I will be concerned if the young professional did not stay for at least 2-3 years in his first job after leaving Uni.

Let no one deceive you, your pay reflects your experience. If you feel you are undervalued and do not feel happy at your job, you need to leave your job as soon as you can. The longer you stay at an unhappy and unrewarding job, the greater the likelihood of you transferring that feeling to your family, friends and future job. Delete that job and move on. You do not feel fulfilled.

Mind you the point cited in the paragraph above is different from a situation where even if you are being paid less than your worth, you are not necessarily unhappy because salary was not the main reason for joining the company. You are happy to take a pay cut because of the experience you are getting. You are happy to work extra hours without pay because you know the experience you are getting will take you to your destination. The word is 'fulfilment'. Different things make different people fulfilled.

Make sure you leave on a good note however. Be on good terms with your line manager/boss. Let him know your career progression plans so that he is not taken by surprise (give him a reaction time so he can scout for a replacement). You will always need his/assistance. Your manager will respect you more for being open with him. Jobs are like brothers and sisters so they will always stay on your CV (unless they were not worthy to be called jobs in the first place).

If you are good, companies will come for you. You do not have to apply to many companies all you need to do is to be focussed and hit the company that will take you to where you plan to go. You can stay with them for a while and develop other competences in parallel.

If you feel you have itchy feet, it might be because you feel you want to consult. As a consultant you can deliver projects for different companies (including your previous company). So as a consultant, depending on the company, you can effectively be working for different companies as you will be posted to deliver projects for a wide range of companies.

Hope it helps.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by braine(m): 5:10pm On Jun 12, 2015
divine2043:

The most important thing is to develop your competences and build a reputation. If you can do this with one company for say, 3-5 years, you should be free to 'hop'. You are not hopping from company to company for the fun of it and are not making a horizontal move but making an upward, vertical move with bigger responsibilities and better pay. The pay must be better. The more skilful you are, the better pay you command, simple! As a recruiter I will be concerned if the young professional did not stay for at least 2-3 years in his first job after leaving Uni.

Let no one deceive you, your pay reflects your experience. If you feel you are undervalued and do not feel happy at your job, you need to leave your job as soon as you can. The longer you stay at an unhappy and unrewarding job, the greater the likelihood of you transferring that feeling to your family, friends and future job. Delete that job and move on. You do not feel fulfilled.

Mind you the point cited in the paragraph above is different from a situation where even if you are being paid less than your worth, you are not necessarily unhappy because salary was not the main reason for joining the company. You are happy to take a pay cut because of the experience you are getting. You are happy to work extra hours without pay because you know the experience you are getting will take you to your destination. The word is 'fulfilment'. Different things make different people fulfilled.

Make sure you leave on a good note however. Be on good terms with your line manager/boss. Let him know your career progression plans so that he is not taken by surprise (give him a reaction time so he can scout for a replacement). You will always need his/assistance. Your manager will respect you more for being open with him. Jobs are like brothers and sisters so they will always stay on your CV (unless they were not worthy to be called jobs in the first place).

If you are good, companies will come for you. You do not have to apply to many companies all you need to do is to be focussed and hit the company that will take you to where you plan to go. You can stay with them for a while and develop other competences in parallel.

If you feel you have itchy feet, it might be because you feel you want to consult. As a consultant you can deliver projects for different companies (including your previous company). So as a consultant, depending on the company, you can effectively be working for different companies as you will be posted to deliver projects for a wide range of companies.

Hope it helps.

You just ministered to me. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by paulo220(m): 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2015
Rumpelstiltskin:
Yes OP, it is very advisable.....

January this year, I was with Chevron....

February, I moved to Shell....

I just had to transfer to ExxonMobil in March.....
Shell nd Exxonmobil who pays more?
Then NNPC offered me a job in April and I accepted.....

I couldn't cope at NNPC, so I did a transfer of service to PTDF in May.....

Well, I had no schedule of duty at PTDF, so I was rightsized to DPR this June......

I just had a clash with the Executive Director yesterday, so I might run to PPMC next month. undecided
PTDF,DPF nd PPMC re departments in NNPC.
OP, are u a frog or kangaroo that is hopping around? grin
ur analysis nd positions re wrong nd underrated.
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Krucifax(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
[b]It all depends on the context in which you are jumping. By that I mean,
1. Reason why you left.
2. Time spent at each role.
3. Was your move within or outside your discipline/industry
As someone who has been in employment for 15years I can tell you there are pros and cons. The first thing most prospective employers look at is
1.Experience.
2.Next qualifications
3.After that is role achievement/contribution(dependent on industry/sector).

If you have role hopped within the same industry it is not a problem even if you didn't spend too much time in a particular role as long as the roles are similar!!! If however you role hopped but through different industries/sectors, you may be deemed an unsettled opportunist who is just looking for money and not career progression.

Remember your c.v followed by references from previous employment will tell the prospective employer a lot about you. It's not so much about loyalty as some young uns on here are telling you but about what an employer thinks you can contribute to his/her company. Inevitably most people will leave a role at some point,every employer knows that. What they don't know is whether you've come to do a good job or have come to collect rent money till the next employer turns up. Hope this helps but I can clarify further if need be.[/b]
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by AlhajiAdemola: 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2015
http://www.businesslist.com.ng/company/253030/ncs-auction-vehicles?
Buy and Make your orders for a cheaper and affordable price rate, Toyota, Honda, Mercedez, Nissan and other Cars makes/products and Models from 1996 to 2014 years of age. Just give us your budget let see what we can do for you, Cars are In Good Condition, With Good Fuel Economy ratings and Comfortable Interiors and makes good Commuter Cars.

For fast responds and inquires,contact the Tariff and Trade officer directly on the mobile line-(08067818458) for further information and Purchase.

Do you want a Cars with this features:

* 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
* AM/FM
* Air Conditioning
* Anti-lock Brakes
* Anti-theft System
* Automatic Headlights
* CD (Multi Disc)
* Cruise Control
* Daytime Running Lights
* Dual-zone Climate Control
* Floor Mats
* Folding Mirrors
* Front & Rear Side Airbags
* Front Airbags (Dual)
* Full Size Spare Tire
* Handsfree/Bluetooth Integration
* Heated Mirrors
* Heated Seats
* Intermittent Wipers
* Keyless Entry
* Keyless Ignition
* Leather Interior
* Leather Steering Wheel
* Locking Differential
* Navigation System
* Parking Assist System
* Power Locks
* Power Mirrors
* Power Seat (Dual)
* Power Steering
* Power Windows
* Premium Sound System
* Premium Wheels
* Reading Lights
* Rear Window Defroster
* Seat Memory
* Steering Wheel Controls
* Tire Pressure Monitoring System
* Traction/Stability Control
* Trip Computer
* Vanity Mirror/Light
* Wood Trim

Then you are welcome, Bring your budget to us and we shall help you get your budget right here by minimizing cost and makes Money Valuable.

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 12, 2015
braine:
You just ministered to me. Thank you so much.

Cheers Braine, happy career ahead.

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by engrjacuzzi: 10:04pm On Jun 12, 2015
it is like hopping from one bed to another or sampling different girls at every slightest opportunity.

you need to stick to one and grow to the top.
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 12, 2015
Like a lot of earlier comments allude to, there is nothing wrong in hopping from one job to another as long as you know what you are doing. In some industries, climbing the career ladder is difficult. This can be avoided by moving to a new company and insisting that you start out on the next rung on the ladder. I know someone who left my company, joined another company in a more senior position and came back 6 months later. You guessed right, he kept his new position. But of course , you must be sure that your company values you and never quit without having another offer in hand. Otherwise you are OYO

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 6:34pm On Oct 06, 2015
Great comments
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by pinehazel(m): 3:19am On Oct 09, 2015
‪#‎Degrees‬ Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill!
Complete CorelDraw Video Tutorials
6Step-by-Step Guide Video Tutorilals is one way to the top.
info@digitalmarketing-ng.com

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 11:06am On Oct 12, 2019

Hope it helps.

You nailed it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Talk!! Are Nigerian Politicians More Hardworking Than Nigerian Graduates? / SPSS/EVIEW MATERIALS AND TRAINING (DATA ANALYSIS) / How To Apply NNPC 2017 Job Recruitment - Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.