Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,519 members, 7,770,323 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:17 AM

How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive (149935 Views)

How To Remove Shortcut Virus From Computer And Drives. / How To Copy Video Files From Computer To Cd\dvd. How Is It Done? / To Transfer Pictures From Computer To Digital Camera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Greatdesi(m): 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2009
I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this case  I can't copy anything to my flash from my desktop I always get this error message error copying file or folder  disk is write protected. How do I remove this write protection.
Any one with solution should please send it to degreatdesi@yahoo.com or call 07028750515
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by femzy(m): 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2009
Can you do a format?
but you can try to Right click device, go to properties, and uncheck the box that says Read Only or Write Protection. Double-check the manual for the universal unlock password.

Also hope it has no manual lock.

Else i want to believe your flash is damaged

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by netotse(m): 1:19pm On Feb 01, 2009
are u sure it doesnt have a hardware write protect switch?is it a new flash?(technology wise)

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by visitor30(m): 3:46pm On Feb 02, 2009
@poster,
i support what femzy &netotse have said. wat is the make of ur flash drive?

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Greatdesi(m): 8:17pm On Feb 04, 2009
Not just my flash but everyother Flash drive I use in the computer
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 04, 2009
Maybe the pc is infected with a virus.

2 Likes

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 05, 2009
a virus on your system is probably writing an autorun.inf file to your flash drive. autorun.inf files are what make cds start automatically, and what give them their icons. this inf file probably makes your flash appear as a file
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by scantee(m): 11:54am On Feb 05, 2009
@poster

try opening it from the address bar,
just pull down the address bar and choose the drive,
or use run command locate the drive volume label eg
c:/ for hard drive D:/ or E: type the volume label at run command and click ok.

but if the problem persist check if there is any lock software installed in your system such as folder amour, fcp, folder lock, if the problem insist contact your computer doctor

stay kool

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 05, 2009
download any of these apps:

*Q-DIR
http://download.softpedia.com/dl/9cf71c3405001b875ce48b1ac2622b67/498aea02/100097381/software/file_management/Q-Dir_Installer.zip

xplorer2

http://www.free-downloads.net/programs/xplorer2

Nexus File manager

http://www.xiles.net/download.php?file=NexusFile5Setup.exe

these are explorer replacements. you should be able to browse your flash through them.

some where in their settings is a show system files option. if you enable this, you will see an autorun.inf file somewhere on your flash. delete it , and you should be okay - not really - you have a virus that keeps writing the autorun.inf files to your removable media

try Mirosoft malicious software removal tool, kaspersky virus removal tool, or mcafees stinger, as standalone ttempts to remove the malware on your system.
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Cotton(m): 5:31pm On Apr 06, 2009
Hi, I have the same problem. I have seen the auto.inf file through using Xplorer2 but the file won't delete. There is also a folder caller 'recycler' Any solutions?
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 07, 2009
When i first started moderating this board, i made a post on
My Free All-in-one Antitrojan [a Very Useful Tool] - Nairaland

That tool will help solve all those problems of autorun.inf being shown or your flash showing "Open With" after treatment . . .
I did an exclusive on that thread, complete with screenshots too.
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by yemakulit: 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsY4xm4Q9dU

[center][s][s][s][s][s]Read The LINK[/s][/s][/s][/s][/s][/center]
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by markhihi: 2:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
switch of your laptop and insert the flash drive,booth the laptop again as the system is coming up press the f8 key this will booth the laptop in safe-mode.Now when the laptop is up in safe mode,go to my computer locate the flash and right click on it then select format. this will remove the write protection error from the flash.

thank u
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by realkola: 11:46am On May 08, 2013
all you need is this video and you will never be found wanting anymore as regards this question :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHm68sDFZY
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by justcoolze: 3:00pm On Jun 05, 2013
Click on the Start Button and type in Regedit and hit Enter.
Navigate through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
Right click on Control and select New and then Key. Call the new key StorageDevicePolicies.
Right click on StorageDevicePolicies and select New and then Dword. Call the new dword WriteProtect.
Right click on WriteProtect and select Properties. Set the value to 1 and hit OK.

The computer is now configured to disable writing to USB storage devices.
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Adesam09(m): 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2013
No b 2009 story be this
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by JECBOSS: 4:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
Imagine 2009 thread making the front page today after over 4 years. No wonder they say, "No Condition is Permanent". Destiny can be Delayed but not Denied. Never Give Up because there's Hope for the Future!

3 Likes

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by idlaw2k3(m): 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
Greatdesi: I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this case  I can't copy anything to my flash from my desktop I always get this error message error copying file or folder  disk is write protected. How do I remove this write protection.
Any one with solution should please send it to degreatdesi@yahoo.com or call 07028750515
Thanks

Jan 31, 2009! Haba! Haba!!

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
Let me ask ifa. THE GODS ARE WISE
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by nickz(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
idlaw2k3:

Jan 31, 2009! Haba! Haba!!
habatically............bros me sef tire oh grin grin grin angry
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Moderators, You've been disturbing the ancestors lately, please allow our ancestors to sleep in peace o!
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by yomalex(m): 5:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
old thread but still relevant
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by imsuboi(m): 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
nice thread grin

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Gosh! I've forgotten how i fixed mine last year. Plz try google bro, u'll definitely meet some help.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Dannylux: 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Elliotwiz1: Moderators, You've been disturbing the ancestors lately, please allow our ancestors to sleep in peace o!

grin grin grin
Some of those ancestors are still active users today grin
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Wisdytech(m): 5:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
This Is wondaful! After abt 5 years the Post flys to the "HP".
God is Great.
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Rexphobia(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
E be like say this moderator don smoke dry pawpaw leave o.... 4 years old thread ke.

The OP sef go don throway the Flash buy HDD by now.
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by deo966(m): 5:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Greatdesi: I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this case  I can't copy anything to my flash from my desktop I always get this error message error copying file or folder  disk is write protected. How do I remove this write protection.
Thanks

for u getin dis...it means u hv tampered with d flash...cos it has a switch..tell if d flash has a little switch...dat is located at d left syd[i][/i]
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2013

Afo ise! Afo ise chalu acha! Nna meen!
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by adepink(f): 6:12pm On Nov 22, 2013
Its an old post but I also ve a similar problem. I can't format my flash. It alwaz show disk protected. Pz any suggestion?
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
@poster, i can`t remember quite clearly now, but i think it has to do with your drive allocation. Click start, right click computer, then click on manage, then i think you will somwhere where it says disk management or something. Right click the letter for your flash drive and i think you click avtivate or somethong. Check it out.
Re: How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive by Nonybb: 6:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
I think i have the same Problem for over 6 months Now and am giving up already

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Remove A Windows Multiple Boot Option? / Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself / Visual Basic 6.0 Product Id

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.