Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Nigerians : 5 Keys Area Stephen Keshi Must Work On As He Returns As Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians : 5 Keys Area Stephen Keshi Must Work On As He Returns As Coach (507 Views)

Mikel, Others Stop Siasia From Resigning As Coach / Manchester United Appoints Mourinho As Coach / NFF Re-appoints Samson Siasia As Coach For Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians : 5 Keys Area Stephen Keshi Must Work On As He Returns As Coach by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 23, 2015
The song ‘End of the Road’, by Boyz II Men, is one of my favourites. I love it, but I can’t deny that it annoys me.

Why?

Well, it’s because it’s misleading. Despite a title suggesting such finality, the line ‘I still can’t let you go’ echoes repeatedly at the end of the song.

I am reminded of this gripe when I consider the return of Stephen Keshi; despite feeling (at least once) that we’d reached ‘the end of the road’ with the Big Boss, it seems Nigeria just can’t let him go.

The coach’s return appears to have been received well by Super Eagles fans, but I’m not convinced that it’s the right move.

Here are five things that Keshi got wrong during his first and second stints as coach, and the errors that he mustn’t make again…

His Bossy Attitude

Steven Keshi showed glimpse of his domineering attitude after he took Nigeria to her apogee—clinching the Afcon 2013 title—and also to the edge after he infamously threatened to resign instantly.

This act was somewhat justified given the fact it was based on an unjust scepticism going into the tourney. Afterwards, however, he apparently dwelled on this meagre accolade and was persistently spotted lashing out to critics—fans, ex-internationals and the FA—mostly not on the pitch of play but in the media.

His most recent—before his second appointment—his headless rant about the football federation and its leadership, which he later countermanded disgracefully.

Subtleness must become an order of the day for Keshi, who must curb his tone with the media.

Midfield Malaise

I can remember the unpleasant look I wore when I realised that two different players were made to don the prestigious No.10 jersey in the recent international in Nelspruit; that justified the kind of confusion harboured by our midfield for the past two years.

After the Afcon victory, the main question surrounding the team was the identity of the ‘third man’ in midfield, but now, it’s hard to feel secure with any of the midfield three.

One-time hero Ogenyi Onazi is a totally different player than he was, and the team's lynchpin John Obi Mikel has seen niggling injuries keep him away from Chelsea's bench.

Keshi must fast-track a remedy for this problem area of the pitch.

Failure to integrate youth players

Keshi appeared to be staunchly against giving players from the swashbuckling U17 a spot in the senior national time.

His stubbornness came in stark contrast to South Africa coach Shakes Mashaba, whose young Bafana Bafana team eliminated the Super Eagles from the Afcon.

The Big Boss can no longer continue to ignore the kids.

He must be brave and put his faith in youth.

With the likes of Kelechi Iheanacho and Taiwo Awoniyi on the fringes of the side, Keshi has options—he cannot continue to overlook them.

Playing without a style

Keshi might also never be grateful for the pervaded influence—now seen as a landmark—Manu Garba's all-conquering team have had on those who watched them.

A problem they've also left him with is not only getting the results for the Super Eagles but by doing it with a substantive and appealing pattern of play.

The national team have constantly been criticised after uninspiring performances regardless of the results, which also was a major problem in Keshi's debut campaign. The allegations became more solidified after everyone witnessed the U17 and U20 side displayed what was tagged 'total football'.

If the kids can do it, why can’t Keshi’s senior side?

Don’t Nigeria fans deserve and require the Big Boss to deliver?

Personal interest over form

One must admit that the last set of invitees to the Super Eagles' camp were not only the most promising squad available but also the most form-driven collection called upon in recent times.

Keshi, on countless occasions, made headless selections mostly based on personal preference over form and wasn't spared the rod either. But now with notice of players performing exceedingly well both on the local and global front, Keshi must be careful while choosing his squad.

No longer can the Big Boss continue to pick his favourites and ignore those who are delivering for their club sides across the world.

These are just five factors that Keshi must improve upon his return to the Super Eagles hotseat.

Nigeria expects.

http://m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/11042382
Re: Nigerians : 5 Keys Area Stephen Keshi Must Work On As He Returns As Coach by Ibelong2God: 7:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ok.

(1) (Reply)

Sport / Nigeria Vs Australia Female W.C, Roll In Ur Predictions / RWATCH R10 Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Watch For Android Ios Coming Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.