Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,701 members, 7,955,646 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:53 AM

19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak (43846 Views)

Nigerian Student Dies In The US As His Vehicle Plunges Into A River (Photos) / Nigerian Student Sues EgyptAir For Wrong Routing / Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by write2obi(m): 7:17pm On Apr 25, 2015
goofyone:

So, in other words he was unfortunate and you are in a better position?

No, his situation just reminded me of how imperfect I've being, yet my God still showers me with love.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by cococandy(f): 7:32pm On Apr 25, 2015
So sad. cry
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by Ribaman(m): 7:36pm On Apr 25, 2015
sirRiddy:
Graduated high school in 2012
and is already in grad school.
Wow! That was some stability in
education, really.
Sorry his life was cut short in
such a cruel manner. And cute
young man he was embarassed

You got it wrong. His study would have terminated with an M.Eng. it takes 4 years, and it's quite popular in the UK.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by Caliph69: 7:37pm On Apr 25, 2015
sirRiddy:
Graduated high school in 2012
and is already in grad school

He was an underg. Not in a grad school.

May God grant his soul eternal rest, and comfort the family. Amen!
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by fr3do(m): 7:56pm On Apr 25, 2015
bebe2:
Helium?

I wud ve thot carbon monoxide poisoning?

Science students pls come and explain

R I P.

I'm still wondering, helium is a relatively expensive gas and unlike carbon monoxide, helium is not a byproduct of any chemical reaction whatsoever.
So where did the helium come from.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by sonofspada(m): 8:03pm On Apr 25, 2015
Wat a waste of a handsome young man. Meanwhile RIP to the dead
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by fr3do(m): 8:11pm On Apr 25, 2015
prettyrosiemua:
rip. But I thought I read somewhere that helium gas isn't poisonous that's why its used by divers.

it is not the helium that kills, it is the lack of oxygen.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by Missmossy(f): 8:19pm On Apr 25, 2015
Aww this is really saddening!

2 Likes

Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by Nobody: 8:38pm On Apr 25, 2015
Also lost a family friend in georgia to gas leak, its a pity only nigerians are affected dis way.hmmm RIP to the dead.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by EreluY(f): 9:31pm On Apr 25, 2015
WHAT A LOSS? RIP AND MAY THE PARENTS BE CONSOLED. SECONDLY, THE UNIVERSITY IS LIABLE FOR HIS DEATH AND SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY OUT. IT WON'T BRING HIM BACK BUT THAT'S THE LAW. TAKE THE PAYOUT AND ESTABLISH A TRUST OR FOUNDATION IN HIS NAME.

1 Like

Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by milinda(f): 9:47pm On Apr 25, 2015
such a promisin young man. may his cute lookin soul rest in peace. ds jx too sad
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by nortcentrallord(m): 9:51pm On Apr 25, 2015
A couple of weeks back I lost a friend and two of his friens in a gas poisoning (Co) in Gorgia. Today it's another Nigerian and they say it's helium. Is this peculiar to Nigerians alone? Am beginning to be skeptical about all this. RIP.
Nigerians should be careful oversees for this kind of news is just disheartening.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by Vikto: 9:52pm On Apr 25, 2015
Alex, May your gentle soul rest in peace in the bosom of the Lord and may God Almighty grant your parents and family members the fortitude to bare this irreparable loss, in Jesus name, Amen.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by tunnary(m): 9:54pm On Apr 25, 2015
greatness22:
Yes nah! Poverty na one TEA i nor fit drink........ Guy, been rich is fun while been broke is bored
Abi u get any idea on d way forward?
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by thythylope6(m): 9:57pm On Apr 25, 2015
R.I.P
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by pappilo(m): 9:58pm On Apr 25, 2015
Yall know niccas be getting high of helium these days?

I am not saying that's what this young man was doing.

The police say the death is not being treated as suspicious which makes it more than likely that he was experimenting with helium legal high.

A sad case of ''afowo fa''

'.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by oyoyome: 10:14pm On Apr 25, 2015
R.I.p
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by anitank(f): 10:56pm On Apr 25, 2015
I can't even imagine what his mother is going through right now. From Loyola Jesuit college to a University in the UK. You could tell all she wanted was the best for her kid cry
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by nonjebose(m): 10:58pm On Apr 25, 2015
pappilo:
Yall know niccas be getting high of helium these days?

I am not saying that's what this young man was doing.

The police say the death is not being treated as suspicious which makes it more than likely that he was experimenting with helium legal high.

A sad case of ''afowo fa''

'.
In one breadth, you are not saying he got high on helium. In another, you are concluding with "afowo fa". It is as suspicious as it gets by. Hw come he was the only in the hall when it happened, especially with the high level of the gas in the hall.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by bubulistic(m): 11:11pm On Apr 25, 2015
This is really sad to hear
RIP Alexander... I will miss u
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by princessdairies(f): 11:59pm On Apr 25, 2015
Jesus..i cnt bliv my cousin is dead,its nt true
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by stevecantrell: 8:06am On Apr 26, 2015
fr3do:

I'm still wondering, helium is a relatively expensive gas and unlike carbon monoxide, helium is not a byproduct of any chemical reaction whatsoever.
So where did the helium come from.

Good question.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by ttmacoy: 9:31am On Apr 26, 2015
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by ttmacoy: 9:52am On Apr 26, 2015
I agree if the University is at fault they should be held liable, but from the story the canisters of helium were found in his room and this suggests he put them there for who knows what.

Also the fact the police have said his death is not being treated as suspicious means they don't believe the University or anyone else is responsible.

The way i read the story, he was doing something with the canisters of Helium in his room got out of hand and killed him. Helium gas leaked out of room to building and alarm was raised which meant building evacuated and Police and Chemical team called. The Chemical team first ensured the building was safe for entry and the Police conducted room by room search, discovered his room was locked, broke in and saw his body beside the canisters of helium.

Unfortunate and my his soul rest in peace. Sounds like a bright intelligent young man.

TRIBUTES have been paid to a student found dead at his Southampton halls of residence.

Alexander Ukwu was discovered in his room with canisters of helium gas beside his body.

The 19-year-old was a first year student at the University of Southampton.

EreluY:
WHAT A LOSS? RIP AND MAY THE PARENTS BE CONSOLED. SECONDLY, THE UNIVERSITY IS LIABLE FOR HIS DEATH AND SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY OUT. IT WON'T BRING HIM BACK BUT THAT'S THE LAW. TAKE THE PAYOUT AND ESTABLISH A TRUST OR FOUNDATION IN HIS NAME.

1 Like

Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by Ethereal0110(f): 3:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
Dats how they'll be killing naija students abroad, i dont knw why, not long ago 2 naijarian students died of poisoning abroad.
I DONT KNOW whether its because we are OUTSTANDING and BESTEST in foreign schools.
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by HoseaAudu(m): 3:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
prettyrosiemua:
rip. But I thought I read somewhere that helium gas isn't poisonous that's why its used by divers.

Too much of Anything can kill
Re: 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak by uruone: 9:34am On Apr 28, 2015
Helium gas can be used to rapidly deprive the body of vital oxygen (even much quicker than carbon monoxide) and can be the gas of choice in suicide. From the media report that helium gas canister was found beside his bed and the police statement that no other person is been sought in connection to the death, all indication seems that the poor kid decided to end it all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria's Airport Revolution In Pics / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Enugu Doctor Dies In A Ghastly Motor Accident 2 Months Before His Wedding (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.