Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy (19701 Views)

The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think / Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English / How To Take Sharp Photos With Your Smart Phone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Elummah(m): 9:16am On Apr 26, 2015
By Usman Mohammed
For some people, many people, I guess, 1876 witnessed a major scientific breakthrough that was to affect the lives of many in both positive and negative ways. But for a few others, like myself, it rather saw the birth of another world problem. When Scientist Alexander Graham Bell invented the first practical telephone in 1876, I bet he had no idea how pretty far his new invention would take the world, and how much a problem he had also invented. Some of you whose telephones are the closest of friends would want to argue, and even think I'm only being silly. But I am not.

Telephones continue to get remodification upon another with the passage of time. Present day telephones are, of course, more advanced than the prototype Bell actually invented. The better sophisticated models of telephone, today, can communicate with their owners, answer questions posed to them, fit into the pocket and require no external wiring for connection. These models of telephone are called "smartphones".

Smartphones are simply mobile phones that have more advanced computing capability than basic or feature phones. Even at their premature age circa two decades ago, smartphones began performing wonders their predecessor feature phones could not perform. They squeezed the features of a computer, cell phone, fax machine and the rest into their brick-like bodies. They came with screens you could easily tap for a command. They also featured predictive typing that could predict the next characters. This is sophistication, you will agree with me. But are you carried away by this level of sophistication that you cannot see the other bad side(s) of your smartphone? Or are you aware of this but chose to turn a deaf ear? Any which way, you are at the receiving end of it all.

Our smartphones are a combination of good and bad. For instance, they are often associated with various kinds of health problems, issues of addiction and disconnection, you name it all. Smartphones can pose serious health challenges to users, such as damage to eyesight, and the problem of radiation, too.

For example, studies by opticians have revealed that overuse from smartphones can lead to long-term eye damage. According to opticians, smartphones produce blue violet light that is hazardous to the black of the eye (pupil). On average, smartphone users, especially adolescents and a few other adults spend between 7-8 hours a day staring at their smartphone screens. This over exposure to blue violet light has the potential to put a person at a greater risk of macular degeneration, which is a leading cause of blindness. You don't want to risk your sight for a worldly smartphone, do you?

In addition, users' shoulder and neck muscles tense up as they stare incessantly at tiny particles on their smartphone screens for a prolonged period of time. However, a medical doctor at Kauna hospital, Shendam, Jos, Nigeria, Dr Ndagi Abdullahi said prolonged use of smartphones can hardly cause musculo-skeletal problems to users. He said the danger of smartphones lies in the invisible rays and wave vibrations they emit which can cause real problems, including cancers, tumours, and organ damage, to various organs in our bodies depending on where the phone is always placed closest to the body. This is further confirmed by a recent study conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO). The study, shockingly enough, listed especially smartphones in the same category with other carcinogens as the poisonous lead, engine exhaust and chloroform. This may be true, more so as smartphone manufacturers would warn users to always keep their devices away from the body when they are about to connect to transmission towers, especially for calls. Cancer, I bet you, is too costly a thing to toy with. You know what I mean.

Furthermore, smartphone users are at a greater risk of having problems of addiction. Users think they are staying connected when they are married to their smartphones for reasons of photography, e-mailing and internet messaging, but it is that constant connection that even leads to greater monotony and, subsequently, more stress. You are addicted to your smartphone when you are with the fear of not having your phone—a phenomenon psychologists have termed "nomophobia"; and when your smartphone starts interfering with your daily activities. Don't you find yourself waiting every now and then for messages from your friends on the social media? Don't you fly into panic realizing your smartphone is not in your pocket or handbag as the case may be? Haven't you ever walked or nearly walked into someone, or not paying attention to lecture during class, because you were so engaged with your smartphone? If you are sincere to yourself by answering in the affirmative then, you are addicted to smartphone. And who says this has no implications?

Addiction to your phone consumes time and makes you unproductive among other negative implications discussed earlier. People who practice polygamy with smartphones are, especially, the victims of this circumstance.

In essence, I am not trying to scare you away from your smartphone, neither am I saying that you should dump it in the nearest waste bin. No, but I am simply advising you to maintain moderation in your engagement with your smartphone, to be on the safe side.

True, smartphones have become a major part of our everyday life, such that a world existing without them is unimaginable to users. And the inescapable reality of this technologically advanced age remains that we almost do everything on our smartphones. But while we use them, we should consider using them wisely.
Use a smartphone only if you're smart.

https://elummah./2014/10/21/why-your-smartphone-may-be-your-enemy-by-usman-mohammed/

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by goodmorning40: 9:24am On Apr 26, 2015
Na the hotness that burn hand during use be the problem

1 Like

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Elummah(m): 9:41am On Apr 26, 2015
goodmorning40:
Na the hotness that burn hand during use be the problem

Na Tecno u dey use ko?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by p2t2r(m): 10:10am On Apr 26, 2015
First of all, for the long term eye defect shit, Shebi that's why we have screen guards??. Secondly, if I wasn't staring at "tiny particles" on ma fone, how was I supposed to get this message.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Elummah(m): 11:07am On Apr 26, 2015
p2t2r:
First of all, for the long term eye defect shit, Shebi that's why we have screen guards??. Secondly, if I wasn't staring at "tiny particles" on ma fone, how was I supposed to get this message.
Did you get the message right at all?

1 Like

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by p2t2r(m): 11:17am On Apr 26, 2015
Elummah:

obviously not.
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by stchinedu: 2:44pm On Apr 26, 2015
Elummah:

He got it and his question is valid. If you did not stare at your phone for long, how did you get the whole message to ask your question? Fine, the bottom line is moderation but that will never take away the fact that we have to stare at it to be informed.

6 Likes

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by stchinedu: 2:45pm On Apr 26, 2015
p2t2r:
Good question Bro. Although moderation is the key word.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Drsheddy(m): 3:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
K
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by philfearon(m): 3:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
Everything that is Technology oriented has its negative effects..
The Key is Moderation
Even you Op,how u take know say Nairaland dey exist?

2 Likes

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
Addiction to anything is bad. Its not perculiar to phones.

Current Post-Graduate Admissions in Nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/2272847/current-post-graduate-admissions-nigeria-2015
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by kombats: 3:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
To cut long story short if u use phone too much you will die if u dont use phone you will die. So why shud i not take the risk

2 Likes

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Drsheddy(m): 3:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
Elummah:
By Usman Mohammed
For some people, many people, I guess, 1876 witnessed a major scientific breakthrough that was to affect the lives of many in both positive and negative ways. But for a few others, like myself, it rather saw the birth of another world problem. When Scientist Alexander Graham Bell invented the first practical telephone in 1876, I bet he had no idea how pretty far his new invention would take the world, and how much a problem he had also invented. Some of you whose telephones are the closest of friends would want to argue, and even think I'm only being silly. But I am not.

Telephones continue to get remodification upon another with the passage of time. Present day telephones are, of course, more advanced than the prototype Bell actually invented. The better sophisticated models of telephone, today, can communicate with their owners, answer questions posed to them, fit into the pocket and require no external wiring for connection. These models of telephone are called "smartphones".

Smartphones are simply mobile phones that have more advanced computing capability than basic or feature phones. Even at their premature age circa two decades ago, smartphones began performing wonders their predecessor feature phones could not perform. They squeezed the features of a computer, cell phone, fax machine and the rest into their brick-like bodies. They came with screens you could easily tap for a command. They also featured predictive typing that could predict the next characters. This is sophistication, you will agree with me. But are you carried away by this level of sophistication that you cannot see the other bad side(s) of your smartphone? Or are you aware of this but chose to turn a deaf ear? Any which way, you are at the receiving end of it all.

Our smartphones are a combination of good and bad. For instance, they are often associated with various kinds of health problems, issues of addiction and disconnection, you name it all. Smartphones can pose serious health challenges to users, such as damage to eyesight, and the problem of radiation, too.

For example, studies by opticians have revealed that overuse from smartphones can lead to long-term eye damage. According to opticians, smartphones produce blue violet light that is hazardous to the black of the eye (pupil). On average, smartphone users, especially adolescents and a few other adults spend between 7-8 hours a day staring at their smartphone screens. This over exposure to blue violet light has the potential to put a person at a greater risk of macular degeneration, which is a leading cause of blindness. You don't want to risk your sight for a worldly smartphone, do you?

In addition, users' shoulder and neck muscles tense up as they stare incessantly at tiny particles on their smartphone screens for a prolonged period of time. However, a medical doctor at Kauna hospital, Shendam, Jos, Nigeria, Dr Ndagi Abdullahi said prolonged use of smartphones can hardly cause musculo-skeletal problems to users. He said the danger of smartphones lies in the invisible rays and wave vibrations they emit which can cause real problems, including cancers, tumours, and organ damage, to various organs in our bodies depending on where the phone is always placed closest to the body. This is further confirmed by a recent study conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO). The study, shockingly enough, listed especially smartphones in the same category with other carcinogens as the poisonous lead, engine exhaust and chloroform. This may be true, more so as smartphone manufacturers would warn users to always keep their devices away from the body when they are about to connect to transmission towers, especially for calls. Cancer, I bet you, is too costly a thing to toy with. You know what I mean.

Furthermore, smartphone users are at a greater risk of having problems of addiction. Users think they are staying connected when they are married to their smartphones for reasons of photography, e-mailing and internet messaging, but it is that constant connection that even leads to greater monotony and, subsequently, more stress. You are addicted to your smartphone when you are with the fear of not having your phone—a phenomenon psychologists have termed "nomophobia"; and when your smartphone starts interfering with your daily activities. Don't you find yourself waiting every now and then for messages from your friends on the social media? Don't you fly into panic realizing your smartphone is not in your pocket or handbag as the case may be? Haven't you ever walked or nearly walked into someone, or not paying attention to lecture during class, because you were so engaged with your smartphone? If you are sincere to yourself by answering in the affirmative then, you are addicted to smartphone. And who says this has no implications?

Addiction to your phone consumes time and makes you unproductive among other negative implications discussed earlier. People who practice polygamy with smartphones are, especially, the victims of this circumstance.

In essence, I am not trying to scare you away from your smartphone, neither am I saying that you should dump it in the nearest waste bin. No, but I am simply advising you to maintain moderation in your engagement with your smartphone, to be on the safe side.

True, smartphones have become a major part of our everyday life, such that a world existing without them is unimaginable to users. And the inescapable reality of this technologically advanced age remains that we almost do everything on our smartphones. But while we use them, we should consider using them wisely.
Use a smartphone only if you're smart.

https://elummah./2014/10/21/why-your-smartphone-may-be-your-enemy-by-usman-mohammed/

SMH!
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by niceguy7(m): 3:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
Hw cn ur fone become ur enemy habaa! sad

1 Like

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Jaffar23(m): 3:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
Tooo long oooo
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by okooloyun1(m): 3:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
Summary pls
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Sunnycliff(m): 3:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
True info piece!
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 26, 2015

1 Like

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by fatdon2(m): 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2015
long story
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by ademega(m): 3:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
True

1 Like

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by gerrardomendes(m): 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
Sometimes I wonder why people book space grin
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by donwise1(m): 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
may God help us. its not easy to stay away from my smartphone at all
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by coobboy(m): 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 26, 2015
Na today?
Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 26, 2015
I call my phone a reminder. I do not pick 90% of the calls as they come in, I call back when I see the 'missed' calls that I chose to get back to. If I pick all incoming calls, I wont have time for anything else. I dont know the reason I signed up for whatsapp sef, these days you cant even read message and ignore anymore without hurting people's feelings, but I do it anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Why Your Smart Phone May Be Your Enemy by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 26, 2015
Kkkkkkk

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Zero And Infinix Hot Note / Twitter Bans Sharing Photos, Videos Of Private People Without Their Consent / Pictures From Oraimo Spacepods Moonlight Edition Launch Event In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.