Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To (844 Views)

7 Places Christians Should Avoid Visiting / "Christians Should Apologise To Gays" - Pope Francis / Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by chemystery: 10:33am On Apr 26, 2015
I have been to churches where almost all members speak in tongues. In fact, speaking in tongues is a prerequisite of being a true believer in some of these churches. I have asked those who speak in tongues the purpose of doing so since no one understands. Most reply are always similar to this: "It is a heavenly language that sets the devil and his followers in confusion...."
But reading my bible few days ago, i came across this portion:

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Contrary to this, in churches today we see more than 20 people speaking in tongues at the same time with no one to volunteer as an interpreter thereby leaving we unbelievers in confusion alongside the devil and his followers. I never said speaking in tongues is not real but then, let someone always come to our rescue just like the bible has instructed.
Re: What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by princesuko(m): 10:42am On Apr 26, 2015
Your Quoting the bible wrongly

It wasn't referring to members....

The scripture there was talking about the preachers... If you must prophecy in an unknown language let there be an interpreter...

You don't expect someone who is praying a PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS prayer to need an interpreter...

1 Like

Re: What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by chemystery: 11:06am On Apr 26, 2015
princesuko:
Your Quoting the bible wrongly

It wasn't referring to members....

The scripture there was talking about the preachers... If you must prophecy in an unknown language let there be an interpreter...

You don't expect someone who is praying a PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS prayer to need an interpreter...

Verse 27 said "If any man SPEAK in an unknown tongue....". SPEAK can either be prophesy or prayer. But in this case, it is both because verse 28 said "...and let him speak to himself(prophesy), and to God(prayer)". Let's assume you are totally correct. Now tell me how many you have seen speak in unknown language and also has an interpreter alongside?
Re: What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by princesuko(m): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2015
chemystery:
Verse 27 said "If any man SPEAK in an unknown tongue....". SPEAK can either be prophesy or prayer. But in this case, it is both because verse 28 said "...and let him speak to himself(prophesy), and to God(prayer)". Let's assume you are totally correct. Now tell me how many you have seen speak in unknown language and also has an interpreter alongside?

At bolded is Partially wrong... I don't believe the bible meant Prophesy there... Try Using other versions of the Holy Bible..

The truth is you hardly find them Preaching with Unknown languages... They only use it when praying...

Now let me paint a scenario here...

In the bible , The disciples were at the upper room when the holy spirit descended upon them.. They began prophesying in unknown languages...

Now its totally Not an unknown language to all because some non believers understood what they were saying and were amazed because it was their Languages...

The bible also stated that People are giving different Gift ranging from healing to interpreting...

The problem now is finding the person with the gift of interpreting.
Re: What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by chemystery: 12:32pm On Apr 26, 2015
princesuko:

At bolded is Partially wrong... I don't believe the bible meant Prophesy there... Try Using other versions of the Holy Bible..

The truth is you hardly find them Preaching with Unknown languages... They only use it when praying...

Now let me paint a scenario here...

In the bible , The disciples were at the upper room when the holy spirit descended upon them.. They began prophesying in unknown languages...

Now its totally Not an unknown language to all because some non believers understood what they were saying and were amazed because it was their Languages...

The bible also stated that People are giving different Gift ranging from healing to interpreting...

The problem now is finding the person with the gift of interpreting.
That's what i want to see. Why speaking in tongues when there is no one to interpret?
Re: What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by Sanchez01: 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
chemystery:
I have been to churches where almost all members speak in tongues. In fact, speaking in tongues is a prerequisite of being a true believer in some of these churches. I have asked those who speak in tongues the purpose of doing so since no one understands. Most reply are always similar to this: "It is a heavenly language that sets the devil and his followers in confusion...."
But reading my bible few days ago, i came across this portion:

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Contrary to this, in churches today we see more than 20 people speaking in tongues at the same time with no one to volunteer as an interpreter thereby leaving we unbelievers in confusion alongside the devil and his followers. I never said speaking in tongues is not real but then, let someone always come to our rescue just like the bible has instructed.

[b]
Funny, speaking in other tongues is NOT a heavenly language and it would be right for us to say the Devil understands languages of "other tongues", other than the English Language. You see, when a man manifests this gift, he possesses the ability to speak in another language without prior knowledge or mastery of the language. Eg, a Yoruba man could speak in Igbo as "other tongues".

Note that the Devil can raise suggestions in the heart of an Igbo man with the very language the Igbo man speaks.

What you are mixing up is simple and most people hardly notice them because it is often believed that they're one and the same. They are;

1. Praying in tongues: When I pray in tongues, I need no interpreter to make this stand because it is prayer; personal between God and I. Therefore, God understands the language I pray in at that point even when I don't understand it. So, since it's personal, it needs no interpretation.

2. Speaking in tongues: This is often confused with #1 above. To speak in tongues means to manifest in unknown (to you) tongues in public while people are somewhat attentive to the utterances coming out. This was why Apostle Paul mentioned in I Cor 4:27-28. Whoever decides or is led to speak in other tongues should keep quiet in the absence of someone who possesses the gift of interpretation of tongues. Reason for this is that such a person would edify himself/herself but would not be of any benefit to the church since there's no one to interpret what has been said.

People in church hardly speak in tongues today. What they do is PRAY in other tongues. But unfortunately, most pastors can't tell the difference between the two and their members are meant to pay since they don't know which is which.[/b]

1 Like

Re: What Bible Said About Speaking In Tongues That All Christians Should Adhere To by johnw74: 10:35am On Apr 27, 2015
Speaking in tongues is the miracle that everyone even if they are dutch german french Israeli etc, they all hear you in their own language and understand you.

Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

(1) (Reply)

What Does Hebrews 6:1 To 3 Mean? / Muslims Get Rid Of Ur Photos And Cameras, Its Unislamic Apparently. / 10 People Who Sold There Soul To The Devil To Obtain Fame.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.