Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Learn About The Awka(oka) People Of Anambra State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learn About The Awka(oka) People Of Anambra State (1247 Views)

Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn About The Awka(oka) People Of Anambra State by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 26, 2015
On this thread i'm going to be giving you information about the Awka(Oka) people of Nigeria.
First of all, let's start with their Religion before the white man came.
N/B: replace 'vb' with 'f' for the modern awka dialect

Oka religion was called ovbuvbe. It meant worship. To work, play and eat, the Oka man observed religious rules. He lived always with his gods, his life was perpetual prayer.
Before he ate any food at any time, the Oka man threw a morsel outside as a sacrifice to the gods, before he drank any wine he poured some on the ground as libation to the gods. Every morning before starting the day's activities, he offered a kolanut as sacrifice to the gods. Always in his speech he remembered the gods.
Although the Oka people had many gods, they recognised one who was supreme. They called him Chi-Ukwu(chukwu). He was the creator of all things, and the most powerful of all Gods. They called him by many names: Chukwu-Okike, God the creator; Olisebuluwa, he from whom all blessings flow; amashiamashi, the unknowable.
The Oka people had no Altar for Chukwu, for they did not sacrifice to him, neither would anyone swear by him. But they prayed to him at all times.
The following was the world view of the Oka people:
There is a power called Chukwu, Eze-Uwa-Nine, Lord of the Universe. He started the world; both co-existed. Because he created everything, he was called Chukwu-Okike, God.
Chukwu first created Mma-Ndu, Life.
Because man recieved mma-ndu from Chukwu, man was called NNA (father), (onye nnata), "maka na onatal Chukwu ndu", Because e got live from God.
So Chukwu created all fathers.
Nna asked Chukwu,"what am i to do with the mma-ndu you have given me ?" God then created woman, NNe, and said to him, " this is the person to look after mma-ndu i have given you. She will be the keeper of life"
so God created all mothers, Nne.
Then he said to nna and nne, "i will make your life on earth everlasting".
So he created Nwa, the child, for them. He directed that one child should produce another, and so on down the line, to eternity: nwa muta nwa, nwa amuta ibie. He told them, "i have given you everlasting life on earth, one child will beget another for ever and ever".
He created the earth and every beautiful thing in it, and put Nna, Nne, and Nwa in it to enjoy and populate it.
He made rules of conduct for them to follow - the laws of God. He placed the knowledge of the laws in their hearts.
He told them that +f they followed the laws, they would remain happily on earth, but if they broke the laws, they would have punishment and death instead.
To make sure they kept the law, Chukwu created Alushi to enforce the laws. To superintend his creatures and see that his laws were kept, he created the lesser gods and set them over his creatures: they were called aluna-mu-ashi which means don't break my laws and was later shortened to alushi.
More coming up later, lemme go and sleep first
cc: lalasticlala
Re: Learn About The Awka(oka) People Of Anambra State by Ezedon(m): 11:16pm On Apr 26, 2015
Were u there, this is called FABRICATION
Re: Learn About The Awka(oka) People Of Anambra State by Nobody: 6:45am On Apr 27, 2015
Ezedon:
Were u there, this is called FABRICATION
my people have a lot of oral traditions, this is just one out of many. Just as the jews had their own creation myth in the bible, we also had ours

(1) (Reply)

Brothers Movie 2015 Songs, Videos, Images, Collection / First Rain In The Year, See For Yourselves / Marry At Least 2 Wives Or Face Life Imprisonment - Eritrean Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.