Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,481 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Akwa Ibom Warns Residents Against Eating Ponmo - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Akwa Ibom Warns Residents Against Eating Ponmo (546 Views)

When I Am Dead, Don't Write RIP On My Timeline Please - Sick Facebook User Warns / Govt Warns Against Eating Moi Moi, Drinking Pure Water / Ogun Govt Raises Alarm Over Toxic Imported ‘ponmo’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Warns Residents Against Eating Ponmo by Codedboy95(m): 6:44am On Apr 27, 2015

The Akwa Ibom State government has warned its citizens against consuming cow skins.

The Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Mr. Godwin Afangideh, said at a press conference on Sunday in Uyo, the state capital, that the cow skin, often referred to as Ikpa Ebola or Ponmo had being the common cause of cancer and liver problems in the state.

The commissioner, who was represented at the briefing by the Director of Veterinary Services in the state, Dr. Obot Obot, said that the people who patronised cow skin were both exposed to cancer and liver problems as well as diarrhoea and hypertension, due to the high quantity of salt used for its preservation.

He stated that the government had embarked on sensitisation programme to create awareness on the danger of consuming cow skin meat.

He said, “The state government, through the veterinary services directorate of the ministry, has embarked on a sensitisation campaign in some markets in the local government areas to talk to the people about the danger of consuming such meat.

“The veterinary officer, who was in charge of the sensitisation campaign, went to different markets and talked to the people on the imperatives of how to watch out for toxic meat following reports of its importation into the country.

“Cow skin meat, which is five times thicker than ordinary skin meat, is injected with a toxic substance called formalin used for its preservation. This formalin in the long run is capable of causing cancer and liver problems due to high concentration of salt used for their preservation.”

http://www.nairawapers.com/forum/topic-1323/akwa-ibom-warns-residents-against-eating-ponmo
Re: Akwa Ibom Warns Residents Against Eating Ponmo by adorablepepple(f): 6:55am On Apr 27, 2015
Ok Anyway join me In eating pomo alata........ so sweet
Tell them to stop eating dogs
Re: Akwa Ibom Warns Residents Against Eating Ponmo by Beamborla(f): 7:10am On Apr 27, 2015
Make I catch myself say I no chop kpomo! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

I Had 12 Surgeries In One Month – Patience Jonathan / Invest In Your Health. Find Out The Health Benefits Of Our Pure Coconut Oil / Two Things You Must Stay Away From To Make Your Destiny Come To Pass.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.