Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. (956 Views)

3 Important Pages You MUST Have On Your Blog / What Are The Dangers Of Buying Already Made Facebook Pages And Twitter Handles / Need A Partner For An Online/offline Dating Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by fathomberry: 6:56am On Apr 27, 2015
I have the w3school offline version which I'm using to brush up my web design skills, and each time I try to open one of the .html pages it opens as a .asp file and asks me if I will like to save/download the file. I've tried different things but yet it still tries to save/download instead of open. Please I need urgent help because I've 'googled' it for almost 4 days now and couldn't find any reliable solution.
Here's a screen dump.

Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by bigtt76(f): 7:26am On Apr 27, 2015
Are you connected to the Internet when trying to open the offline pages? I don't know but looks like I'm seeing 'Online' on the title bar and also the URL ....it should be pointing to some file location on your desktop ...confirm pls.

fathomberry:
I have the w3school offline version which I'm using to brush up my web design skills, and each time I try to open one of the .html pages it opens as a .asp file and asks me if I will like to save/download the file. I've tried different things but yet it still tries to save/download instead of open. Please I need urgent help because I've 'googled' it for almost 4 days now and couldn't find any reliable solution.
Here's a screen dump.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by Lastdon02(m): 7:30am On Apr 27, 2015
sometimes it happens, what do you use in clonning the site? Httrack?
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by fathomberry: 7:37am On Apr 27, 2015
bigtt76:
Are you connected to the Internet when trying to open the offline pages? I don't know but looks like I'm seeing 'Online' on the title bar and also the URL ....it should be pointing to some file location on your desktop ...confirm pls.

No i'm not connected to the Internet. This problem just started all of a sudden. As a matter of fact, I don't shutdown my PC most times, I just let it sleep so I can come back, open it and continue from where I stopped. sad
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by fathomberry: 7:38am On Apr 27, 2015
Lastdon02:
sometimes it happens, what do you use in clonning the site? Httrack?

Clonning? I have never tried anything like that. How do I go about it please. Thanks.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by Lastdon02(m): 9:17am On Apr 27, 2015
i mean How did u get the offline files? U saved the page or clone them?
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by thewebcraft(m): 10:36am On Apr 27, 2015
fathomberry:
Here's a screen dump.
Its because the page was saved as an ASP file Instead of html file Firefox cant open ASP pages.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by Craigston: 11:46am On Apr 27, 2015
Which OS are you using? Do you have a web server that can run ASP? (Microsoft IIS comes to mind) make sure IIS is activated and running. Then try opening it again.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by fathomberry: 3:01pm On Apr 27, 2015
Lastdon02:
i mean How did u get the offline files? U saved the page or clone them?

w3school offline version.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by fathomberry: 3:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
thewebcraft:

Its because the page was saved as an ASP file Instead of html file Firefox cant open ASP pages.

How do I change them back to .html files?
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by fathomberry: 3:12pm On Apr 27, 2015
Craigston:
Which OS are you using? Do you have a web server that can run ASP? (Microsoft IIS comes to mind) make sure IIS is activated and running. Then try opening it again.

WampServer on Windows 8. It's active and running but I still can't open the offline pages.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by Craigston: 5:31pm On Apr 27, 2015
fathomberry:

WampServer on Windows 8. It's active and running but I still can't open the offline pages.
WAMP does not come with ASP in the package.
On your pc, hold Windows key + 'r' to open a run dialog. Type in "appwiz.cpl" and then press the return key. In the window that opens, click on 'turn windows features on/off' and another dialog will open. Scroll down this dialog and you'll find:
Internet Information Services
IIS Hostable Web Core.
I don't know if I'm exactly correct but the options should be similar. Check the boxes and also open each sub-item to make sure it's all checked (including ASP).
When all's checked, save the selections. You would have successfully activated it then.
**Note that IIS will listen on '127.0.0.1:80' or 'localhost:80' by default. This will conflict with Apache's (in your WAMP package). So you cannot run both simultaneously unless you change their ports. But you can use IIS, if WAMP is not running, to view the ASP documents.
Re: Offline Pages Do Not Open Anymore. by thewebcraft(m): 5:55pm On Apr 27, 2015
fathomberry:

How do I change them back to .html files?
Download this firefox plugin "Mozilla Archive Format" from http://maf.mozdev.org/ it saves any page in .html format

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Is My Website Not Showing In Google Search? / What You Can Do With Facebook Graph Search / Post your Internet Marketing problem and get a solution.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.