Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,095 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age (4166 Views)

Picture Of A Perfectly Looking Ogbono And Egusi Soup / Book A Cake For Mother's Day And Get Free Cupcakes / Snake Pepper Soup Prepared By A Nairalander With Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 10:05am On Apr 27, 2015
That was one of our household rituals of childhood .When you reached a certain age of responsibility and it was felt you could be trusted you were charged with the morning chore of warming the family pot of "soup, woe betide you if you burn it! .This is daily ritual across.Nigeria. The purpose was to prevent it going "sour" or turning bad. There are lots of funny ideas or explanations associated with why soup actually goes bad e.g if someone puts their finger in it or more than one person scoops from the pot etc.( I suspect this was just to discourage stealing)
Anyway as time passed we now have the microwave oven and refrigerators and no longer warm soup. I believe with each passing day of warming the taste changes compared to the fridge.
Still I know one or two people that persist with warming.Usually older folk even when they have fridges and microwaves.
Where do you stand?
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 27, 2015
Chei, You have reminded me of my grandmother's soup. What is you people's problem ? Now I cant stop salivating. This microwave and fridge thing is rubbish. Warmed soup used to taste better and real. Everything tastes fake these days. Or is it our taste buds as we grow older ?

4 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 10:16am On Apr 27, 2015
Some people even claim that a soup will "mature" after 3 or 4 days grin. Another aspect to soup warming is the whole house would smell of the soup for a few hours.
We should not be saying wake up and smell the coffee but wake up and smell the ,Egusi
Ofe Onugbu etc

3 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Mrbigman1(m): 10:18am On Apr 27, 2015
Me still warm my own food even after defrosting it, I still warm.

Btw, I dnt do microwave

3 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 10:26am On Apr 27, 2015
OP, not every household in naija has the luxury of having constant and steady supply of electricity. So yes, some people still "warm" soup in Naija. I fir one do not fancy microwave. I hardly use it .

6 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 27, 2015
Haa!! Why didn't you warm the soup last night? angry angry now it has gone sour!! God will not forgive anyone who throws away as much as one spoon of my soup!! angry angry angry
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 10:53am On Apr 27, 2015
delishpot:
OP, not every household in naija has the luxury of having constant and steady supply of electricity. So yes, some people still "warm" soup in Naija. I fir one do not fancy microwave. I hardly use it .
Could that be because you do not FULLY know how to use it. There are many different settings and timings for different typess of food though most people are not patient and tend to use the highest power for all foods. Some foods especially from the fridge may need low power for 1 or 2 mins then medium power then High power. For me it is microwave any day even to make eba grin
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 10:56am On Apr 27, 2015
omonnakoda:
Could that be because you do not FULLY know how to use it. There are many different settings and timings for different typess of food though most people are not patient and tend to use the highest power for all foods. Some foods especially from the fridge may need low power for 1 or 2 mins then medium power then High power. For me it is microwave any day even to make eba grin

Not that. I know very well how to use it. I just dont fancy the chemistry that goes on when food is microwaved thats all.

5 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 11:05am On Apr 27, 2015
delishpot:

Not that. I know very well how to use it. I just dont fancy the chemistry that goes on when food is microwaved thats all.
I think that isthe problem when you claim you "know very well " how to use it. One must ask how you know ? We have to approach the microwave oven with respect and humility and only then will she reveal her secrets to you!! grin

Take a soup like Egusi soup one litre with crayfish and another litre without crayfish . How would you heat the two is it the same?
If your soup has bones or does not have bones. White rice,jollof rice,fried rice,akara, puffpuff etc. There are countless foods with different requirements. No one knows evverything

Unless you are some kind of food technology expert then you would be like 99.99% of microwave users who know a very tiny fraction of how to use microwave ovens. It is just like a computer in a sense most people get by but do not know the range of tricks .
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 11:13am On Apr 27, 2015
omonnakoda:
I think that isthe problem when you claim you "know very well " how to use it. One must ask how you know ? We have to approach the microwave oven with respect and humility and only then will she reveal her secrets to you!! grin

Take a soup like Egusi soup one litre with crayfish and another litre without crayfish . How would you heat the two is it the same?
If your soup has bones or does not have bones. White rice,jollof rice,fried rice,akara, puffpuff etc. There are countless foods with different requirements. No one knows evverything

Unless you are some kind of food technology expert then you would be like 99.99% of microwave users who know a very tiny fraction of how to use microwave ovens. It is just like a computer in a sense most people get by but do not know the range of tricks .

Bros, I am not talking the quality or physical look of the food. I am talking the way Microwaves heat up food Feel free to goofle how micrwaves heat up food. As in tge physics involved and the chemical changes involved too.
I know very well how to use my microwave. I know from defrost to cooking to even baking with my microwave. I stayed in a hotel for 3 years and believe me I had only my microwave to help me with warming and cooking When I need to do some ASAP
I know the texture of food from ogi to eba to semo from the effect on fish to meat, from bread to cake before and after microwave. Believe me, I know my microwave Well.

10 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2015
delishpot:

Bros, I am not talking the quality or physical look of the food. I am talking the way Microwaves heat up food Feel free to goofle how micrwaves heat up food. As in tge physics involved and the chemical changes involved too.
I know very well how to use my microwave. I know from defrost to cooking to even baking with my microwave. I stayed in a hotel for 3 years and believe me I had only my microwave to help me with warming and cooking When I need to do some ASAP
I know the texture of food from ogi to eba to semo from the effect on fish to meat, from bread to cake before and after microwave. Believe me, I know my microwave Well.
Let us agree to disagree on who is an expert or not on microwave use

You are mentioning nebulous chemistry and physics without saying anything specific that can be responded to.
Is it a safety issue or a taste issue or something else. Just introducing a vague idea does not add up to much.
Is it your position and in a blind test microwave heated food can be separated from that by other means or that it is not safe or what exactly is your point
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 11:23am On Apr 27, 2015
omonnakoda:
Let us agree to disagree on who is an expert or not on microwave use

You are mentioning nebulous chemistry and physics without saying anything specific that can be responded to.
Is it a safety issue or a taste issue or something else. Just introducing a vague idea does not add up to much.
Is it your position and in a blind test microwave heated food can be separated from that by other means or that it is not safe or what exactly is your point

I clearly said, I do not like the chemistry involved in the microwave process. I do not consider it safe. To me o. Everyone is free to see it as they wish. I use mine once in a while maybe 2ce a week or so. I do not consider it safe to use over long period of time. But that is me sha.

5 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 11:24am On Apr 27, 2015
delishpot:

I clearly said, I do not like the chemistry involved in the microwave process. I do not consider it safe. To me o. Everyone is free to see it as they wish. I use mine once in a while maybe 2ce a week or so. I do not consider it safe to use over long period of time. But that is me sha.
What is the chemistry ? Exactly. I do not know what you are talking about and you have not communicated. Microwave cooking optimally requires knowledge of the Wattage and duration for cooking different food taking into account the starting temperature.This is a technical process admittedly but in terms of nutrient destruction which happens with ALL forms of cooking Microwaves have shown the greatest nutrient retention because of the shorter cooking times
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 11:32am On Apr 27, 2015
omonnakoda:
What is the chemistry ? Exactly.

Just google it bros. Many people have many views concerning the safety of Microwaving food. Just google how healthy is it to cook with Microwave and read uP And decide on whose team you want to be. Team Microwave is safe and I will keep using it or Team I do not want to risk it cool

1 Like

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 11:32am On Apr 27, 2015
delishpot:

Just google it bros. Many people have many views concerning the safety of Microwaving food. Just google hos safe is it to cook with Microwave and read up
In summary you are just blabbing. please do not come and make silly claims and then hide behind "google it".
Any form of cooking causes changes to foods.If you say that of microwave is different say what it is.
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 11:34am On Apr 27, 2015
omonnakoda:
In summary you are just blabbing.

Yes. I guess so. If you see it so. So to "google "it is your only reason to damn my point and call my worries/concerns blabbing ba? Afterall, its your body you are putting the food fa! Wetin be my own sef. Its all good. I was blabbibg..Now, feel free to ignore what I said. The inquisitive ones out there know how to research and find out things for themselves from little hints they get.
You want me to write a thesis to show what chemical changes I am talking about etc etc fa? Ok, wait I dey come.

11 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Gratia(f): 1:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
@Omonnakoda you have ended up derailing your thread, what exactly is too hard to understand from what @delishpot said?

11 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 1:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
Gratia:
@Omonnakoda you have ended up derailing your thread, what exactly is too hard to understand from what @delishpot said?

There is nothing hard to understand.I understand it perfectly and it is rubbish. If she comes out to mention ONE possible CONSEQUENCE of microwave food then there is an issue to hide behind Chemistry or Google is meaningless. The same sort of rubbish many Nigerians say.One person told me that it makes the food "TOO HOT!!".

The technology does not carry warnings with regard to the FOOD and has been around for decades so people who do not have one ,do not have electricity or do not understand the technology should not dissuade others through scare mongering
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:53pm On Apr 27, 2015
well I think for people like me that don't know to use d microwave, warming z allowed
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
omonnakoda:
There is nothing hard to understand.I understand it perfectly and it is rubbish. If she comes out to mention ONE possible CONSEQUENCE of microwave food then there is an issue to hide behind Chemistry or Google is meaningless. The same sort of rubbish many Nigerians say.One person told me that it makes the food "TOO HOT!!".

The technology does not carry warnings with regard to the FOOD and has been around for decades so people who do not have one ,do not have electricity or do not understand the technology should not dissuade others through scare mongering

grin grin never knew I told people not to use microwave sha. let me go and re read my posts and find out where in the first instance I mentioned that people should take my word for it and not use the microwave. I dey come.

Abeg omonnakoda, nor vex oooo. I gree say Na rubish and stupid talk I talk. No vex say I send you to go readup and do your own research and make your own conclusion and not take my word for it. Sorry that I could not write a thesis on chemistry of microwave radiation on food. Abeg Nor vex. Na beg I beg you o.

6 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by feelme3(m): 3:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
delishpot:

grin grin never knew I told people not to use microwave sha. let me go and re read my posts and find out where in the first instance I mentioned that people should take my word for it and not use the microwave. I dey come.

Abeg omonnakoda, nor vex oooo. I gree say Na rubish and stupid talk I talk. No vex say I send you to go readup and do your own research and make your own conclusion and not take my word for it. Sorry that I could not write a thesis on chemistry of microwave radiation on food. Abeg Nor vex. Na beg I beg you o.

[size=13pt]So we still get humble and intellient people like this? Delishpot I love you pass any microwaved food. God bless you o[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by tpiadotcom: 4:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
Gratia:
@Omonnakoda you have ended up derailing your thread

the thread get sense before?

3 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by delishpot: 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
feelme3:

[size=13pt]So we still get humble and intellient people like this? Delishpot I love you pass any microwaved food. God bless you o[/size]

Amen brother, may his blessings be upon you too cool

2 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Alphaoscar: 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2015
delishpot:

I don't do microwave too and I perfectly understand what you are talking about. Some peeps call me Ibile (local) and I am very proud to be one.

Health is wealth.

4 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by blesoh(f): 4:32pm On May 05, 2015
feelme3:

very very intelligent,Delishpot u go write am for pidgin mk sm pple understand lol

1 Like

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by blesoh(f): 4:33pm On May 05, 2015
tpiadotcom:

the thread get sense before?
choi this is wicked,lwkmd
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by Pavore9: 2:08pm On May 08, 2015
l remember back when l was in charge of warming the soup in the mornings, some "professionals" in the soup pot do get missing in action! Bitter leaf soup is usually sweeter a day after it is been cooked.

1 Like

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by youngelder(m): 1:07am On May 12, 2015
@op
... having read through your arguements, i deduce that you are scared to lose an arguement even when mr delishpot made it so simple. You just want to IMPOSE your ideologies on others. Always look at the two sides of a coin.
ADVICE: BE OPEN TO LEARNING.
.Technology has disadvantages.
.Meanwhile.. i still warm soup even this morning.

3 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by SugaryBelle(f): 12:21pm On May 12, 2015
This op is such an unyielding braggart,the title of the thread itself is moronic,that you're privileged to own a microwave shouldn't make you assume that's all that matters,trust me millions of people haven't even heard about a microwave,and you sound like you just started using it that's why you're acting like knowing how to work It is such a big deal...a grown aasss man arguing over who knows best how to use a microwave ,smh

6 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 12:48pm On May 12, 2015
SugaryBelle:
This op is such an unyielding braggart,the title of the thread itself is moronic,that you're privileged to own a microwave shouldn't make you assume that's all that matters,trust me millions of people haven't even heard about a microwave,and you sound like you just started using it that's why you're acting like knowing how to work It is such a big deal...a grown aasss man arguing over who knows best how to use a microwave ,smh
Clearly you do not have a man and are trying to seek attention. With an attitude like that you will be searching for ever.Amen You sound like a Karosin using Jangolova saying girl fom the other side of town. Owning a microwave is no privilege ,they cost $20 .
Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by tpiadotcom: 3:02pm On May 12, 2015
omonnakoda:
Clearly you do not have a man

seriously though, do you think anyone will feel bad about not having a man when they see some of the threads and attitudes of males on this forum?

3 Likes

Re: Do People Still "WARM" Soup Daily In This Day And Age by omonnakoda: 3:04pm On May 12, 2015
tpiadotcom:

seriously though, do you think anyone will feel bad about not having a man when they see some of the threads opened by males on this forum?
Are you stalking me

(1) (2) (Reply)

JOS FARM!! Strawberries, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Purple Cabbage / Increase Height Naturally About 2-8 Inches Taller / Learn How To Make Milkshakes, Ice Cream, Snacks Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.