Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,277 members, 7,954,095 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:18 PM

Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered (3530 Views)

Tiwa Savage And Donjazzy Meet Jay-Z In New York (HD Photos) / [ Photos] Another Olajumoke Spotted At Ibadan Waiting To Be Discovered / Prince Eke – “I Do Not Blame Nigerians That Said My Kidnap Was A Publicity Stunt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
http://techpoint.ng/dear-jay-z-here-are-7-nigerian-artistes-that-should-be-discovered/

Saw this in a blog..... interesting read..

DEAR JAY Z, HERE ARE 7 TALENTED NIGERIANS THAT SHOULD BE “DISCOVERED”

Techtainment ViewPoint
April 28, 2015 4 Comments

Was anyone here really surprised that Nigeria was Tidal’s first stop on its journey to being identified as a “global company”? Well, I certainly wasn’t. Anyone who has been paying any attention on social media knows that Nigerian publicity is good publicity.

So since Jay Z claims he sent a representative to “discover new talent,” I’d totally hate if he goes for an already established name like ‘Iceprince’ and then go ahead to dub him a “new talent.”

Anyway, I took the liberty of coming up with 7 artistes that deserve to be “discovered.” Don’t get me wrong, a couple of them aren’t necessarily new, unknown or even upcoming, but I do feel they are all immensely talented, sadly underrated, and would certainly benefit from some extra exposure.

Brymo

Brymo is easily at the top of this list, and deservedly so. I consider him a blessing to our music industry and he would benefit greatly from some international exposure. Brymo’s last studio album ‘Tabula Rasa’ isn’t only the best Nigerian album of 2014, but one of the best albums I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to. He is a real Juggernaut, and Jay Z would be lucky to have him.

Standout Track: Je’le O Sinmi

Simi

Simi is seriously one of our most versatile songstresses. Her vocal prowess is no joke, and she manages to masterfully blend Pop and Soul while never ever abandoning her Nigerian roots. She is definitely going places, “discovered” or not, but I’d much rather have Jay Z sweep her away before we get a chance to push her into shameless commerciality (like we did Praiz). I mean, I can already see it now ‘Beyoncé – [insert feminist title] Ft. Simi.’

Standout Track: Tiff

Lindsey

In an industry where everyone is dizzyingly similar, Lindsey is a serious breath of fresh air. This amazing singer, songwriter and guitarist is in my opinion, the future of Nigerian Soul music. A Project Fame West Africa alumni, Lindsey won me (and a lot of people) over with her stellar vocal work on ‘Jehovah’ with M.I off the ‘Talk about It’ album. Trust me, if anyone deserves to be talked about, it’s her.

Standout Track: Taxi

Boogey

OMG guys, a Nigerian rapper who can actually rap. Boogey has a lyrical dexterity unlike any Nigerian rapper I’ve ever heard. This guy is criminally underrated, and this needs to change ASAP. I mean, the dude legit murdered M.I on “Ridiculous” off “Illegal Music 2, delivering the most memorable verse on an already very memorable album. How many more accomplished verses does this dude need to drop before he is given a proper shot?

Standout Track: Sanctum

Black Magic

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Black Magic song I didn’t immediately love. A talented rapper, singer and songwriter, this guy really lives up to his stage name, delivering tracks so immediately infectious, someone seriously has to be chanting magic words in the background. He hasn’t really been on the scene for a while and I as a dedicated fan need a lot more of his brilliant blend of Hip Hop, Afrobeat, and Soul.

Standout Track: Repete

Storm Rex

To be very honest, when I think underrated. I think Storm Rex. When I first discovered the awesomeness of this woman, I had to slap myself for being so late to the party. She is not only great on her own, but she still always manages to deliver the standout verse on any song she gets featured on, and would easily become a household name with the right exposure. Tidal seems like a pretty good place to start, right?

Standout Track: Blessing

Suté

Suté is undoubtedly one of the brightest upcoming rappers in the game right now, and sadly the last name on this list you’re likely to have heard about. Well, you might want to get yourself acquainted with his work, because he is the future of Nigerian rap (feel free to quote me). I also think he would be the easiest artist on this list for Jay Z to work with without tampering with this style.

Standout Track: Badagry

Well, whether any of these guys gets picked up by Mr. Shawn Carter or not, these are still some of the best Nigerian artistes working today, so please – please, please, please – don’t let them fizzle out unappreciated. But at the end of the day, these are still just my opinions. So if you think I missed anyone, feel free to sound off in the comments.

Liked this post? Subscribe to Techpoint Monthly Newsletter

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Daniel Orubo
Writer & Content Strategist.

Below are pictures of Brymo, Simi & Stormrex

Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by loomer: 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
Brymo used to be our own, but pride and excessive egbo come finish him livestyle
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by IfeanyiSamuelz(m): 2:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
Remuv dt blackmagic nd put poe... Dt guy is sewiously talentd nd vry vry underratd
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by pretydiva(f): 2:44pm On Apr 28, 2015
Op ur list isn't complete without Airforce1 name on it undecided

2 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 2:45pm On Apr 28, 2015
IfeanyiSamuelz:
Remuv dt blackmagic nd put poe... Dt guy is sewiously talentd nd vry vry underratd
Poe is tooo talented!!! Naija get soo many talents.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 2:47pm On Apr 28, 2015
pretydiva:
Op ur list isn't complete without Airforce1 name on it undecided
loool. I have never heard any of his singles. grin
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
What about beautiful nubia.

*Shinesteeth*
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by silverdam(m): 3:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
Who compiled this list? The only person I recognise their is Brymo. Who is that babe showing her boobs? She go snatch JayZ from Beyonce if them sign her..

1 Like

Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by phrezzz: 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2015
OP putting Sute was spot on, i completely agree with u that guy is the future when i heard him rap i said wow. also think Tay should be on ur list he sang the box dude is talented and he is just 18.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 28, 2015
ok
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 6:58pm On Apr 28, 2015
phrezzz:
OP putting Sute was spot on, i completely agree with u that guy is the future when i heard him rap i said wow. also think Tay should be on ur list he sang the box dude is talented and he is just 18.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by michphenomena(m): 9:20pm On Apr 28, 2015
Small Doctor grin and Airforce 1
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by GIYAZZ(m): 12:03am On Apr 29, 2015
I love this list!! cheesy
Boogey Brymo Simi Black Magic (The best!)
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by ValentineMary(m): 1:30am On Apr 29, 2015
Boogey and Simi are the bomb especially thier collabo "1am". I regard Boogey as the best rapper after Eminen.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by wheesin(m): 2:22am On Apr 29, 2015
Men and i thought i would never find laughter grin This dream is kind of Planet Pluto...so therefore, i finally declare this thread as..... undecided

THIS IS SUPERSTORY(KA DUN DUN DUN) A LIFE OF STRIFE AND SORROW(KA DUN DUN DUN KA) THIS IS SUPERSTORY GOOD FOOD AND HOUSING, FOR THE FISH STRAFE AND EVEN DIE OF THIRRST,THIS IS SUPER STORY,THIS IS SUPERSTORY EEE EEAHH! THIS IS SUPERSTORY, THIS IS SUPERSTORY , STORY, A LIFE OF STRIVE AND SORROW, (KA DUN DUN DA DUN KA)

1 Like

Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by IamOpemipo(m): 4:09am On Apr 29, 2015
Wen I saw jiggaz, I knew stormrex go dey dat list grin

Nice list tho
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 29, 2015
why r u mentioning artist that has bn discovered like me i havnt.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by Faremisodeeq(m): 8:02am On Apr 29, 2015
If this get to fp ham going to trek from eko to lagos
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by zeekz(m): 8:34am On Apr 29, 2015
just stating my opinion, artist I think are worth it but not too popular, Poe ( listen to ko ye won) Shaydee (I don't even need to explain) chyn(listen to love and liquor ft Falz), Ike's (listen to his track with maleek berry - they know), Ozone(this guy ehn, can't talk he is good), Emeka (listen to Monster, this guy fits d american music scene than naija's own) and the best of them BEZ no arguments.

1 Like

Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by Ladybianca(f): 8:44am On Apr 29, 2015
Me feels mode 9 should b on dat list, dat guy is talented, buh his kinda music doesn't sell here
My 2 cents, I stand to be corrected
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 9:06am On Apr 29, 2015
IamOpemipo:
Wen I saw jiggaz, I knew stormrex go dey dat list grin
Nice list tho
grin Opemipo plz oo, its not me dat wrote the list. I saw it on a blog. check the Source grin
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by supplywhims: 11:45am On Apr 29, 2015
hiohiohiohio
wetin concern jayz for dia matter?
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by ejiro2130(m): 11:54am On Apr 29, 2015
zeekz:
just stating my opinion, artist I think are worth it but not too popular, Poe ( listen to ko ye won) Shaydee (I don't even need to explain) chyn(listen to love and liquor ft Falz), Ike's (listen to his track with maleek berry - they know), Ozone(this guy ehn, can't talk he is good), Emeka (listen to Monster, this guy fits d american music scene than naija's own) and the best of them BEZ no arguments.

Agree with u on shaydee but smbdy needs to really discover him before he joins dis jangolova bus carrying most nigerian artist
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by zeekz(m): 12:01pm On Apr 29, 2015
ejiro2130:

Agree with u on shaydee but smbdy needs to really discover him before he joins dis jangolova bus carrying most nigerian artist
Yep, d dude is unique.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 1:33pm On Apr 29, 2015
supplywhims:
hiohiohiohio
wetin concern jayz for dia matter?
I bet u didn't read the article. Jay Z is scouting for new talents in Nigeria.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by supplywhims: 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
jiggaz:
I bet u didn't read the article. Jay Z is scouting for new talents in Nigeria.
aha! I see.
Re: Dear Jay Z: Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be Discovered by jiggaz(m): 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2015
supplywhims:
aha! I see.

(1) (Reply)

Manny Pacquiao Builds Houses For The Poor Instead Of Buying A Bag Worth Millions / Angry Mother Disowns Son Who Is Toeing The Line Of Bobrisky (photo) / Kim Kardashian Goes Braless On A Date Night With Kanye West… Ladies Will You Roc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.