Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

My Ordeals - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Ordeals (1113 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ordeals by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 30, 2015
I am tired of applying for jobs. Gusssh!!!! Hardly get interview invites even after most peeps review my CV and confirmed it OK, recently i had to pay $50 (approx. #9,975) for a CV re-write from India
yet no improvement. I did some certification, still. I learnt some dudes get or change jobs like clothes and even had to reject some offers. What could be the problem? What do i nid to do?
Do i nid specialized certification?
Damn, very frustrating!!!
Re: My Ordeals by Rich4god(m): 9:06am On Apr 30, 2015
I no even know wetin I go tell you, cos I knw how frustrating it can be... Same thing happened to me... But along the line, I said to myself.... Instead of spending my little saving on getting certification and running up and down looking for job, why not just start a bit with the little money that you have.... And that's exactly what I did....

Right now, I can't boost of huge profit, but the little that am making is enough to keep me away from bankruptcy... And I still haven't put a hold on my job search but my resources and time are mainly channeled towards the biz....

I know its not easy, but try to give it a trial...

1 Like

Re: My Ordeals by Rich4god(m): 9:11am On Apr 30, 2015
But op.... How u go carry almost 10k pay for CV rewrite when there are a thousand and one website to get standard CV... Here on nairaland am sure there are peeps willing to help on that...
Re: My Ordeals by obua: 12:12pm On Apr 30, 2015
No information about your certificate and certification s. How can you be helped?
Re: My Ordeals by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
obua:
No information about your certificate and certification s. How can you be helped?
HND, Coop Econs. & Mgt and a Graduate Member of NIM + Project Mgt Cert.
Re: My Ordeals by Samyj247: 6:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
Eddyken:

Any experience??
Re: My Ordeals by obaxlove(m): 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
Eddyken:

Bro visit ICSL website if you are not more than 28yrs. Google would help to get the website. Tho it's a contract job ooo but atleast from there u can get another better option.
Re: My Ordeals by bodeoni: 8:03pm On Apr 30, 2015
Eddyken:

1. Being a graduate member of NIM doesn't really count for anything.
2. Having a project management certificate also doesn't count for much. Believe me quite a number of actual project management don't have certificates, rather they have achievements.
3. Most certifcations mean almost nothing cos a certification doesn't eqaul ability. Its the well recognised certifications that might help and they are usually very expensive or for only those who already have some work experience

I would advise you do the following
1. If you are really interested in project management, you should start by looking for somewhere to volunteer. If you are the assertive type, you could walk into any major building construction going on around you and ask to see the person in charge. Tell him/her you will work for FREE, beg if you have to.

2. Have you heard of Primavera? Its a project management software, you should learn how to use it if you don't already know how to. You can teach yourself online via youtube. There is hardly anything you can't teach yourself on youtube these days.

3. Evaluate yourself. Discover yourself, know your strengths and weaknesses and then match them to a particular career line, field or even several fields.

4. Do a new CV. If the $50 CV has not landed you an interview, then there is probably smt wrong with it. The truth is some 80-90% of CVs all look alike, having the same set of words/skill set in them. Make your CV stand out. Remove what you have now and do the unusal. Priortize information your CV, put only the things that sell you on the first page, things like achievements, skills, interets etc. Like any write up, the begining of your CV kind of sets the tone for the rest of it.

5.Prepare. This is the most important, when the interview comes, be ready. A lot of people think they are but believe me, they are not

6.Age. If you are above 26, it might be an issue. Companies seem to want really young people these days, I am talking 20-24. More companies are doing undergraduate internships in a bid to train and pick students even before they graduate. If you are above 26, I would advice you de-emphasise your age, let it be the last thing on your CV.

7. Pray. One cannot overstate the place of God. God has the final say in everything so pleas make sure He is on your side.

If its okay by you, I would like to see the $50 CV and give my opinion about it. Request for my mail through my profile.

All the best

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeals by Nobody: 6:28am On May 01, 2015
bodeoni:

1. Being a graduate member of NIM doesn't really count for anything.
2. Having a project management certificate also doesn't count for much. Believe me quite a number of actual project management don't have certificates, rather they have achievements.
3. Most certifcations mean almost nothing cos a certification doesn't eqaul ability. Its the well recognised certifications that might help and they are usually very expensive or for only those who already have some work experience

I would advise you do the following
1. If you are really interested in project management, you should start by looking for somewhere to volunteer. If you are the assertive type, you could walk into any major building construction going on around you and ask to see the person in charge. Tell him/her you will work for FREE, beg if you have to.

2. Have you heard of Primavera? Its a project management software, you should learn how to use it if you don't already know how to. You can teach yourself online via youtube. There is hardly anything you can't teach yourself on youtube these days.

3. Evaluate yourself. Discover yourself, know your strengths and weaknesses and then match them to a particular career line, field or even several fields.

4. Do a new CV. If the $50 CV has not landed you an interview, then there is probably smt wrong with it. The truth is some 80-90% of CVs all look alike, having the same set of words/skill set in them. Make your CV stand out. Remove what you have now and do the unusal. Priortize information your CV, put only the things that sell you on the first page, things like achievements, skills, interets etc. Like any write up, the begining of your CV kind of sets the tone for the rest of it.

5.Prepare. This is the most important, when the interview comes, be ready. A lot of people think they are but believe me, they are not

6.Age. If you are above 26, it might be an issue. Companies seem to want really young people these days, I am talking 20-24. More companies are doing undergraduate internships in a bid to train and pick students even before they graduate. If you are above 26, I would advice you de-emphasise your age, let it be the last thing on your CV.

7. Pray. One cannot overstate the place of God. God has the final say in everything so pleas make sure He is on your side.

If its okay by you, I would like to see the $50 CV and give my opinion about it. Request for my mail through my profile.

All the best
Insightful!!!! Tnx a million times
Re: My Ordeals by Nobody: 7:16am On May 01, 2015
Samyj247:

Any experience??
close to 7 yrs experience(pre-NYSC) as a Receptionist & presently a call center agent ( job is unstable)

(1) (Reply)

Current Job Vacancy In A Shipping Firm / Interview Alart For Ark Nig Ltd. / Entry-level Job At Jagal Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.