Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,106 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:08 AM

Programming Or Msc - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Or Msc (1170 Views)

Which Is A Better Rewarding Career, Programming Or Networking? / PHP: When To Use Procedural Programming Or OOP / Where To Learn Android Programming Or Java Programming In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Or Msc by jonath0012(m): 9:54am On Apr 30, 2015
Hello guys, please I need your candid advice on this issue:
I'm a graduate still managing somewhere and one of my cousins who works in a top coy has advised me to learn programming to increase my chance of getting good job.
However, I've been saving for a master's degree comes next year, which means if I start I start learning programming now I may not have the resources to go on with my MSc programm.

My questions are:
1. How long do you think it will take to be a guru in programming?
2. Does it really worth abandoning MSc program for?
3. Which of the best IT training centers should I enrol? N.B: I'm considering UGRL at Alen Ikeja, money wise. Need more info on this
4. Which of the programming stuff is best for me to start with?

Over to you, the gurus in the house.

Thanks.
Re: Programming Or Msc by kudaisi(m): 11:16am On Apr 30, 2015
jonath0012:
Hello guys, please I need your candid advice on this issue:
I'm a graduate still managing somewhere and one of my cousins who works in a top coy has advised me to learn programming to increase my chance of getting good job.
However, I've been saving for a master's degree comes next year, which means if I start I start learning programming now I may not have the resources to go on with my MSc programm.

My questions are:
1. How long do you think it will take to be a guru in programming?
2. Does it really worth abandoning MSc program for?
3. Which of the best IT training centers should I enrol? N.B: I'm considering UGRL at Alen Ikeja, money wise. Need more info on this
4. Which of the programming stuff is best for me to start with?

Over to you, the gurus in the house.

Thanks.
Why do you need to ditch Msc to learn programming when you can do both ?
My advice,
1. Get some programming materials.
2. Go ahead with your Msc.
3. Learn and improve on your programming skills while doing your Msc.
4. Go through first post in the programming section, it will guide you on with programming path to take.
5. Practice and practice and practice and keep practicing [that's how programming gurus are made].

1 Like

Re: Programming Or Msc by Nobody: 8:38am On May 01, 2015
You don't have to ditch anyone...
You don't need to learn Programming on a Full-Time basis.
Just few hours (of Practice) per day is okay...
Re: Programming Or Msc by jonath0012(m): 5:38pm On May 01, 2015
kudaisi:
Why do you need to ditch Msc to learn programming when you can do both ?
My advice,
1. Get some programming materials.
2. Go ahead with your Msc.
3. Learn and improve on your programming skills while doing your Msc.
4. Go through first post in the programming section, it will guide you on with programming path to take.
5. Practice and practice and practice and keep practicing [that's how programming gurus are made].

Thanks bro... I appreciate you input
Re: Programming Or Msc by abdul01(m): 5:47pm On May 01, 2015
my guy, what do u currently know, are u currently a techie(e.g a network guy with ccna n co. that wants to switch to programming or a server guy and d rest) or u don't have any relationship (job-wise) with core tech?

If u already know some programming before i will advise u to continue learning ur programming (learn JAVA) and pursue ur masters (only if u intend doing it abroad) and look for a good school like stanford, MIT and co where their IT department is very good(u can google abt the different schools). But if u want to pursue the master then i will prefer(my candid opinion) u save d money and focus on ur learning.
Re: Programming Or Msc by evaboy4real: 12:34pm On May 02, 2015
If you are really intent on learning programming, l bet you drop that M.Sc cos u can't learn both at a time. This is not a joke.
No programming language is easier when u are a newbie.
you just have to make a right decision on which one to do.
If you combine both, you won't be effective.
Re: Programming Or Msc by drealboy(m): 6:23am On May 04, 2015
you should go for MSC and start learning programming in the process. it takes at least a year to master a programming language.
Re: Programming Or Msc by AAinEqGuinea: 8:37am On May 04, 2015
I got my msc in the U.S., but I was born here and still live here.

I know this may come as a surprise to many but your msc should elevate you past simply learning a programming or web language and its concepts, I use the word should considering that U.S. education may be different than Nigeria's so you may be better off at caching programming books for leisure reading at this time.

Is a msc worth it? I started as a hacker in secondary school, figured I knew enough about programming and networking to not waste my time getting a degree in it. That was the biggest mistake I ever made, and self taught programming books were just as plenty as the electronic forum of PDFs littering the Internet today. Before I eventually started my tenure to finish my bachelors in comp sci, I knew Java really well by reading up on the material and went to a school that was equipped to push me past simply learning a language. It was worth it for me, my academic experience of what I built and how I built systems continues to speak more volumes that the books I read or simply reciting Wikipedia programming theories.

If you're in Nigeria, you may have to work together with other programmers if polytechnics or Comp sci programs there are subpar. Having a shelf full of encyclopedias doesn't make one an expert on all world things, the same is said for PDFs, YouTube, and programming. Different people will know different subjects in computing better than you and that's fine if you're not Igbo grin you'll need to find them and work with them.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Referral Php Script / How To Make An Android App, Even If You Aren't A Developer / In Need Of Payooneer Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.