Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Lack Of Public Libraries In Lagos, Other Nigerian Cities- Who Else Is Bothered? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lack Of Public Libraries In Lagos, Other Nigerian Cities- Who Else Is Bothered? (466 Views)

The State Of Public Secondary Schools In Osun State / Number Of Public Primary Schools In Nigeria According To Zones / Opinion: Top 5 Nigerias Most Beautiful University Libraries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lack Of Public Libraries In Lagos, Other Nigerian Cities- Who Else Is Bothered? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
It bothers me a lot to accept the fact that there is almost no public library in most Lagos cities. I wonder what the state and federal ministry of education thinks about this. Having lived in areas like Alimosho, Ebute Metta and other places, I have discovered that access to Public libraries is almost non-existent, and where there's one, it's lacking in modern books and facilities that anyone can hardly be interested in.
Way back in secondary school @ Ebute metta, I remember I visited the library at the National Theatre a couple of times, because our schools never (and still don't) had libraries. We were not allowed to bring our books in so we had to settle for some art books, which we apparently didn't need. I also visited one public library at Oyingbo (somewhere around Ebute Metta east local government office) and the same thing was the case. In fact the heat was enough to make one lose focus.

Being a professional now, I still do courses from time to time and for one to focus, especially as an adult, requires a lot of concentration, while you're doing your best to eliminate distractions. Most of the time, it's hard to read at home with all the generator noises from left and right and you can't tell your neighbour to put off their gen because we all depend on it.

Libraries are essential parts of city planning, so I wonder why we lack them. There should be at least 1 public library in each LCDA of the state.

What develops the mental capacity of the youths in most developed and developing countries is the creation of enabling environment for learning and reading which will in turn, boost the erudition of the general public.

We urge the state governments of major cities (at least) in Nigeria to look into the creation of public libraries with proper cooling system and WiFi as part of their new agendas, so that people can have somewhere to read and focus and become better citizens of this great country.

Thanks
Re: Lack Of Public Libraries In Lagos, Other Nigerian Cities- Who Else Is Bothered? by Babacele: 12:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
I'm bothered too bro, so wat can we do about it.
Re: Lack Of Public Libraries In Lagos, Other Nigerian Cities- Who Else Is Bothered? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hopefully, this will make frontpage and will be seen by other concerned individuals. . .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Meaning Of This Nairaland Keys / I’ll Make UI World Class University, Says Pro-chancellor / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.