Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,051 members, 7,953,182 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:56 AM

OPINION: Why Birthdays Ought To Be Celebrated - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / OPINION: Why Birthdays Ought To Be Celebrated (470 Views)

I Think Every Nigerian That Loves Nigeria Ought To Read This With Patience. / Strange Pictures You Ought To See / When Will Nairaland 10th Anniversary Be Celebrated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OPINION: Why Birthdays Ought To Be Celebrated by emeka94(m): 11:14am On May 01, 2015
While reading the novel P.S I Love you by Cecelia Ahern, I came across a line that really impressed me. It was something like this (I can’t remember how the author put it, but I can summarize it):

“Healthy young people are afraid of getting older and graying. But young sickly people wish and hope to see their old age, to touch the strand of gray hair on their hair.”

This made me realize that some people are lucky, and some people aren’t, enough to see there old age. I had this jaundiced opinion that birthdays and New Year shouldn’t be celebrated in an elaborate manner and that they were like every other day. Despite it being a special day, a million things could still happen and mar your day. Furthermore, I argued that birthdays signified that one was getting older and closer to old age which ultimately translated to death. But I was wrong. Yes birthdays are like every other day and something could still go wrong but we never know what will or how it will, so why bother about what we don't know? After reading the novel, I began to see old age as a blessing especially if one has lived a long and rewarding life. And I intend to live each day of my life doing what I want, enjoy what I do and eschew regret. To find joy in every circumstance and a reason to smile. To lose my fear of death and see it as something that will happen when it will happen _ I have no control over it and thus I shouldn't be saddened by it.
The most important objective of birthdays is to be THANKFUL for your blessings and your life. For people like me who have lived a healthy life and have never been to the hospital for any health reason (I can’t even describe how the interior of a hospital is), our blessing is double portioned.

Happy Birthday to me
And a Happy workers day to you
Re: OPINION: Why Birthdays Ought To Be Celebrated by StarboyMichael(m): 11:17am On May 01, 2015
Happy birthday Emeka

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Am Not Sure If You Still Have This In Ur House / Is Michelle Obama Going To Nigeria? US President Sending American Delegation To / Impossibility Made Possible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.