Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? (15945 Views)

Disgraced Nigeria U-19 Stranded After Angry NFF Dumps Them, Pays Them 5000 Naira / RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. / Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by emiye(m): 8:18am On May 07, 2015
it could have been a tie between 93, 2013 set, but I give it to the 2013 team due to the fact that the reliability that they were TRULY under 17 is higher than that of 93 team . though I must confess, my true followership of Nigerian football started in 93.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by MightySparrow: 8:19am On May 07, 2015
The beautyful ones are not yet born
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Rilwayne001: 8:20am On May 07, 2015
sukkot:
how much did nwobodo stole

Sire, Is this your song for today grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:21am On May 07, 2015
For team brilliance/cohesion and individual skills,i give to 2013 squad. They were not only united but one of the youngest talents Nigeria has ever exported to a youth competition.

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by sukkot: 8:22am On May 07, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Sire, Is this your song for today grin
yes now lmao. i think it is a very comical comment from GEJ cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Rilwayne001: 8:28am On May 07, 2015
sukkot:
yes now lmao. i think it is a very comical comment from GEJ cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin grin to me thats not even comic enough.

Do you know anything about his theory of Capra aegagrus Hircus and Discorea rotundata? This is zoologists and botanists things.

Aso Rock mumu lingua for you. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by FrenchyL(m): 8:29am On May 07, 2015
The 2013 team was exceptional in my opinion. Those before them set the standard though.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by sukkot: 8:31am On May 07, 2015
Rilwayne001:

grin grin to me thats not even comic enough.

Do you know anything about his theory of Capra aegagrus Hircus and Discorea rotundata? This is zoologists and botanists things.

Aso Rock mumu lingua for you . grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cant say i am familiar with that theory. although i am familiar with discorea alata grin
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Rilwayne001: 8:42am On May 07, 2015
sukkot:
cheesy cheesy cheesy cant say i am familiar with that theory. although i am familiar with discorea alata grin

LOL. grin grin

Capra aegagrus Hircus means "Goat" while Discorea rotundata means "yam"

So, our president, when asked about the state of corruption in the country, he brought up the goat and yam theory. According to the him, you cannot put a goat ( Capra aegagrus Hircus) , yam ( Discorea rotundata) and plantain together and say that the goat should not eat yam. In parallel, you cannot put him and his cronies in power in charge of our state resources and say that they should not steal or act dishonestly.

Its also known as "The goat and yam parable" grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NCGsrqr_I&fulldescription=1&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

grin grin dayummmn

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by sukkot: 8:46am On May 07, 2015
Rilwayne001:

LOL. grin grin

Capra aegagrus Hircus means "Goat" while Discorea rotundata means "yam"

So, our president, when asked about the state of corruption in the country, he brought up the goat and yam theory. According to the him, you cannot put a goat ( Capra aegagrus Hircus) , yam ( Discorea rotundata) and plantain together and say that the goat should not eat yam. In parallel, you cannot put him and his cronies in power in charge of our state resources and say that they should not steal or act dishonestly.

Its also known as "The goat and yam parable" grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NCGsrqr_I&fulldescription=1&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

grin grin dayummmn
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was a good one. i am stealing that one for later usage cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Rilwayne001: 8:50am On May 07, 2015
sukkot:
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was a good one. i am stealing that one for later usage cheesy cheesy

grin grin Glory be to God for giving us te opportunity to boot that homo clueless clueless drunkard outta aso Villa.
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by axeman10(m): 8:52am On May 07, 2015
felsunseg:
all those over-age players them
richidinho:
Forget that man up there
2013 team scored the highest number of goals in the competition history
What then is he talking about, the team is also the youngest Nigeria U17 team
With a jogo bonito ..total football style of play

Guys, I believe the 2013 team was also absolutely fantastic, if you read my first post, I based my analysis on the how many of them progressed to senior teams and subsequently went on to achieve both individually and collectively at higher levels.

Time will tell how many of the 2013 team will achieve that, and I sincerely pray they are properly managed and mentored to surpass the old guards. That is what we all want...for our younger ones to break and surpass the records of yesteryears.

Moreover, Nigerians are quick to condemn the old boys because there was no scientific way of measuring their ages...thank God for MRI scan, at least we all know there is a fair playing ground and countries are presenting players within the that limit.

What makes you think even with the MRI scan, the likes of Kanu, Babayaro, Oruma wouldn't have shined in their era? Bro, if you are a star, you are a star.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by sukkot: 8:53am On May 07, 2015
Rilwayne001:

grin grin Glory be to God for giving us te opportunity to boot that homo clueless clueless drunkard outta aso Villa.

yeah that nigga was a disaster. not sure whose bright idea it was to make him president. then again it is how life works. just when it gets darkest is when you see a silver lining. so he was used to signify the darkest hour after which the light has appeared in buhari. thats one of the mysteries of life. after the darkest hour is light tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Rilwayne001: 8:58am On May 07, 2015
sukkot:
yeah that nigga was a disaster. not sure whose bright idea it was to make him president. then again it is how life works. just when it gets darkest is when you see a silver lining. so he was used to signify the darkest hour after which the light has appeared in buhari. thats one of the mysteries of life. after the darkest hour is light tongue grin
hmmmmmmm.

TrueTalk my kind sire....TrueTalk. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Bowaley17(m): 9:00am On May 07, 2015
In 1985 and 1993,i neva start to dey watch ball. I will go for the 2013 set.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by superbloke(m): 9:07am On May 07, 2015
Icon4s:

The 2001 set showed promise. They had a couple of players that had the potential to be great but something went wrong along the line. They lost 3-0 to France in the final. Notable players: Femi Opabunmi, Segun Abiodun, Ayuba, Temile Omonigho, Sunday Mba, Kenedy Chinwo, Akpan Bassey.
Is that the same Sunday Mba that won the nations cup 13 years later as a 24yr old? shocked

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by pak: 9:48am On May 07, 2015
The best team would definitely be the 1993 squad, it's difficult to argue against that.

But I think the second best was the '89 team. Though they lost in the quarters, even Pele was shocked by how good they were.

They had Andrew Aikhomogbe on goal with the popular lemy issa as the reserve.
Bobolaye fa Edon and the impressive Godwin Opara was in defence.
Captain Segun Fetuga played in the midfield
Victor Ikpeba and Precious Monye played on the flanks
Kayode Keshinro and Jide Oguntuase were attackers.
They also had the likes of Patrick Mancha and Benny Akweagbu

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by femi4: 9:52am On May 07, 2015
The 2013 set is a stainless squad. Unbeaten throughout. With MVP, silver highest goal scorer and best goal keeper award. Also credited with the highest no of goals scored in a u17 competition
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by lizu4chizu(m): 10:13am On May 07, 2015
axeman10:

Seems you didn't watch the 1993 team. The team scored 14 goals in the group matches and conceded none. Australia (2-0), Canada (8-0) and Argentina (4-0).

Going on to win all the remaining knock out phases 2-1 each.

In all they scored 20 goals conceded 3, an average of 3.3 goals per match.

The team was a total team, the best Nigeria ever had in any age group competition, from defence to midfield to attack, a total unit. Strength, speed and skills "all join".

Nice one
No wonder few of them went on to greater heights both at home and abroad.
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by FBS: 10:33am On May 07, 2015
Not to derail the thread but THIS match was EPIC! I do remember it CLEARLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LIGg1PkkU

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by docadams: 10:33am On May 07, 2015
The 1985 team was the best team ever in my opinion based on some outstanding features:

1. The first National team to win a FIFA organised competition
2. All the players were drawn from secondary schools, YSFON, and street soccer competitions.
3. Only Nigeria and Hungary had all players without club affiliation.
4. The players youthful innocence was indisputable and they played football with youthful exuberance and wanton pleasure.
5. The players were either of the age they claimed or close to it. Nine of the players were from Benin and coincidentally I was living in Benin then enabling me to know some.
6. Because of their success and the attendant rewards and world attention subsequent teams became politicized with quota system and win at all cost syndrome resulting in the use of over-age players.
7. The team had little government presence unlike subsequent once. Much of their needs were undertaken by YSFON.

1985 TEAM

Head coach: Sebastian Brodrick-Imasuen
1 GK Lucky Agbonsevbafe(aged 15) No club
2 DF Ten worming Duere(aged 15) No club
3 DF Nikka Ugbade(aged 15) No club
4 DF Fatai Atere(aged 13) No club
5 DF Binabei Numa(aged 16) No club
6 MF Kingsley Aikhionbore(aged 15) No club
7 MF Salisu Nakade(aged 16) No club
8 MF Sani Adamu(aged 16) No club
9 FW Jonathan Akpoborie(aged 16) No club
10 FW Victor Igbinoba(aged 15) No club
11 FW Bilia Momoh(aged 15) No club
12 GK Imada Amapakabor(aged 16) No club
13 DF Baldwin Bazuaye(aged 16) No club
14 FW Joseph Babatunde(aged 16) No club
15 DF ChukwumaNwoha(aged 15) No club
16 MF Mohamed Yahay(aged 15) No club
17 MF Hilary Adiki(aged 14) No club
18 MF Dele Abubakar(aged 15) No club
Nigerian players were selected from school teams.

6 Likes

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by jobsat34(m): 10:35am On May 07, 2015
Daninya11:
For individual brilliancy, I will give it to the 1993 squad but for complete team football I give it to the 2013 squad who average at least 2 goals a game..

Am I sports on??

very very...

1993 squad success could be attributed to the players individual brilliance..
but 2013 set, yes individual brilliance on one hand but the coaches/trainers impact cant be neglected...

gone are those days when we just watch football to know the end result..
this days, we have over 150million viewers who double up as coaches in there room grin grin watching football to analyse, compare and even rate overall performance.. now we concentrate on pass accuracy, interception, tackles won, shot on target, goal ratio, possession and even work rate.. tell if we care about all this 10years ago..

this days, result dont matter much, good football does...
an average nigeria want a team that play like barca, successful like madrid, tactically discipline like chelsea... bye-bye to the days of baby daddies with shaving stick playing age grade competition...

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Ninilowo(m): 10:48am On May 07, 2015
Ghenghen! Na here we go know under age Nairalanders

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Dapsynzeal(m): 10:48am On May 07, 2015
Icon4s:
Now let me join in this discussion.

I watched all the above mentioned generations of Eaglets. The 1993 and 2013 stand out.
In terms of players with great potentials and quality the 1993 has it. As per team work the 2013 team has it.

I watched the 1985 boys but I was still young then and didn't understand football much. However I rewatched the final against Germany some years after on NTA. Players like Nduka Ugbade, Sani Adamu, Victor Igbinoba, Jonathan Okpoborie and Fatai Atere stood out. Though they won matches bt they were not as dominating as the 1987, 89 and 93 sets. Infact they had to beat Guinea in semis through penalties-in a game that Guinea dominated. In the final too, Germany was doing the playing while Nigeria was doing the scoring.

Worthy of note is also the 1987 Eaglets. Though they lost through penalty shoot-outs to the stars studded USSR Team that also featured Oleg Salenko. Players like Phillip Osundo, Dimeji Lawal, Chris Nwosu, Baba Jubril Babalola and co were stand out players. A highly talented set that went to Saudi in 1989 and lost to a Rui Costa, Luis Figo and Joao Pinto let Portuguese team. Remember also the Damam Miracle? They formed the Nucleus of that team.

Another great group was the 1989 set. Infact they were supposed to be the winners of that 1989 WC if not for the heroics of that tall Saudi Keeper in the Q/Final. Nigeria could only convert one penalty after the game ended 0-0 at FT. That Saudi team went on to win the cup.
Notable players from that talented group were: Victor Ikpeba, Benedict Akuegbu, John Zaki, Olusegun Fetuga, Kayode Keshinro, Precious Monye.

From the 1993 set so many of the squad went ahead to play for the Super Eagles and then big clubs in Europe. Notable among such players: Nwankwo Kanu, Wilson Oruma, Festus Odini, Manga Mohammed, Celestine Babayaro, Mubi Oparaku, Karibe Ojigwe. This set is still seen as the greatest so far. Who can forget that 8-0 bashing of Canada and 4-0 trashing of Argentina at the group stage. Not forgetting also that great West African derby of a final against a star studded Ghana team led by Daniel Ado. Most of the graduates of this set became successful footballers.

The 1995 set was a flop though they were able to get to the Q/Final where they lost to Oman. That team till date was the worst set to have been presented by Nigeria at the U17 World Cup. Notable players were: James Obiorah, Kinsgley Amuneke, Edward Anyankhim, Emmanuel
Nwakire, Sani Abacha, Haruna Babangida, Igineware George.

The 2001 set showed promise. They had a couple of players that had the potential to be great but something went wrong along the line. They lost 3-0 to France in the final. Notable players: Femi Opabunmi, Segun Abiodun, Ayuba, Temile Omonigho, Sunday Mba, Kenedy Chinwo, Akpan Bassey.

In 2003, we had a talented team but was bedeviled with changes in the coaching crew and bad luck. I remember Eguavoen was brought in late to handle the team. They crashed out through a toss of coin at the group stage after Drawing Costa Rica, beating Australia and losing to Argentina side that had Messi, Aguero, Mascherano and some others. Notable players from that crop: John Obi Mikel, Chinedu Ogbuike(Obasi), Emmanuel Sarki, Solomom Okoronkwo, Isaac Promise, Ezekiel Bala, Ambrose Vanzenkin.

In 2007 we thought we had another golden generation since after the 1993 set. A team that bulldozed it's way to win the title that year. Notable Players: Haruna Lukman, Rabiu Ibrahim, Ganiu Oseni, Macauley Chrisantus, Kabiru Akinsola, King Osanga, Matthew Edile, Segun Ajiboye. The players however failed to live up to their post U17 rating and they all fizzled out of the spot light.

The 2009 group took everyone by surprise . After they failed to qualify for the CAN U17 Pundits ruled them out. Infact they featured in the U17 WC because Nigeria hosted. They got to the final and lost to Switzerland. Who can forget that great comeback in the opening game against Germany in Abuja. Coming back from 3-0 down in the first half to finish 3-3. Notable graduates from that talented squad: Ogenyi Onazi, Kenneth Omeruo, Stanley Okoro, Sani Emmanuel, Ramon Azeez, Michael Olaitan, Edafe Egbedi, Omo Ojabu, Olanrewaju Kayode, Abdul Ajagun, Fortune Chukwudi.

The all conquering 2013 group looked too good to be true. Pushing and crushing away oppositions and winning 3-0 both in the semis and final. This has been judged as the next great team after the 1993 set. All the players in this team are worthy of note. However stand out performers were: Kelechi Iheanacho, Musa Mohammed, Taiwo Awoniyi, Musa Yahaya, Chidiebere Nwakali, Chdera Eze, Dele Alampasu and nt forgetting the injured striker Isaac Success. One foreign analyst once said it is as if they play 10-man defense, 10-man midfield, and 10-man attack. All that is left is for us to see how they perform at the U20s.

The 2015 group are the next to enter the history books. They finished 4th at the CAN U17 and book makers are already writing them off. But they should remember that the 2009 set didn't qualify for CAN but later got to the WC final. The team has till September to prepare and make us proud again. cheesy
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Nobody: 11:00am On May 07, 2015
1993 - wilson oruma was captain.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by megacity: 11:13am On May 07, 2015
Let me start with the worst team so far: the crown goes to the 1995 team. That team can give you hypertension if you are not careful. A team that will create chances upon chances and fail to score even with open goal post. The team had a top 9, one squat short guy, named Edward Anyamkeh, that guy would not score even if the opponents play without a goal keeper.

The best has to be the 2013 team, cause the team had to go through MRI tests, were very young and played complete football. The problem with most of the other teams is they paraded players that were over-aged by far; like fortune chukwudi of 2009 that palyed u-17 seven years after he registered as an 18 year old player with Sharks! The 1993 team too had players that would not have been u-17, even Kanu was already playing for Nationale and would not have been all that u-17 in 1993.

Perhaps Austin Eguavoen is a very unlucky coach; his team to the 2003 world cup lost the group stage to the toss of a coin. The team was however relatively young, which was commendable going by the standards at that time. To Eguavoen's credit, some of the players he took to the 2003 world cup like Mikel and Obasi have gone ahead to become successful footballers and represent Nigeria at the u-20, Olympics, and the world cup . Otherwise, Eguavoen's team was the only one that ever failed to qualify from their group

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:15am On May 07, 2015
2013 set beat them all in terms of achievement. 1 credit d 1993 & 2007, & 1985 though.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by Nobody: 11:16am On May 07, 2015
The class of 2013, Iheanacho and co would have got this diadem without any competition.But, the 3-3 draw against Sweden in the group stage smeared that chance.
In terms of pioneering, I'll give it to the class of 1985, Nduka Ugbade's set.However, in terms of conquering all foes and blitzing all oppositions, the medal goes to the 1993 squad of Kanu Nwankwo.They swept aside everything in their path in winning the tournament.It's a rarity for any team, regardless of the competition cadre- youth or senior- to conquer all foes on the way to winning a competition.
Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by megacity: 11:19am On May 07, 2015
docadams:
The 1985 team was the best team ever in my opinion based on some outstanding features:

1. The first National team to win a FIFA organised competition
2. All the players were drawn from secondary schools, YSFON, and street soccer competitions.
3. Only Nigeria and Hungary had all players without club affiliation.
4. The players youthful innocence was indisputable and they played football with youthful exuberance and wanton pleasure.
5. The players were either of the age they claimed or close to it. Nine of the players were from Benin and coincidentally I was living in Benin then enabling me to know some.
6. Because of their success and the attendant rewards and world attention subsequent teams became politicized with quota system and win at all cost syndrome resulting in the use of over-age players.
7. The team had little government presence unlike subsequent once. Much of their needs were undertaken by YSFON.

1985 TEAM

Head coach: Sebastian Brodrick-Imasuen
1 GK Lucky Agbonsevbafe(aged 15) No club
2 DF Ten worming Duere(aged 15) No club
3 DF Nikka Ugbade(aged 15) No club
4 DF Fatai Atere(aged 13) No club
5 DF Binabei Numa(aged 16) No club
6 MF Kingsley Aikhionbore(aged 15) No club
7 MF Salisu Nakade(aged 16) No club
8 MF Sani Adamu(aged 16) No club
9 FW Jonathan Akpoborie(aged 16) No club
10 FW Victor Igbinoba(aged 15) No club
11 FW Bilia Momoh(aged 15) No club
12 GK Imada Amapakabor(aged 16) No club
13 DF Baldwin Bazuaye(aged 16) No club
14 FW Joseph Babatunde(aged 16) No club
15 DF ChukwumaNwoha(aged 15) No club
16 MF Mohamed Yahay(aged 15) No club
17 MF Hilary Adiki(aged 14) No club
18 MF Dele Abubakar(aged 15) No club
Nigerian players were selected from school teams.

Agreed the 1985 team was relatively very young. I remember that Chukwuma Nwoha was still a student at Union secondary School Enugu when he played for that team

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by sheylarhh(m): 11:22am On May 07, 2015
femi4:
The 2013 set is a stainless squad. Unbeaten throughout, not even a draw. With MVP, silver highest goal scorer and best goal keeper award
Nigeria vs Sweden 3-3 @ group stage

1 Like

Re: Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? by yoged(m): 11:24am On May 07, 2015
sukkot:
what did he have attention deficit compulsive disorder ?
you are very rude. That's not fair.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Falcons Defeat Romania 4-1 In 4 Nations Tournament. / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Player Rating / Gernot Rohr Off To Gabon For AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.