Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82460 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 7:12am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Is that what he has been doing? Invading every single Igbo thread to butt urhobo into the conversation? Lol.

Yes and it's annoying as hell too.

Always desperately seeking attention, and the irritating about is is that SE Igbos give him that attention.
I don't know about anyone else but it's irritating. I can't stand attention seeking mofos. The dude needs to go get a f2king life jor.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:13am On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

OMFG your attention seeking is f2king RIDICULOUS!!!!! Dude go get a life or better yet find a hobby. Stop looking for attention from igbo people. We no semd you. In almost EVERYSINGLE thread about igbos as of late, I see your post everywhere whining about some BS and shouting urhobo everywhere even when noone called, mentioned or send you.

Like nigg@ STOP with the attention seeking!!!! No f2king body gives a flying f2k about you or whatever the he11 you keep whining about. Like seriously, stop invading every single igbo thread you can find to butt yourself and urhobo into the conversation. Like Wtf?

#annoying as hell

lolz who cares abt u, wen illiad insulted us @ a thread [Meet the Ofoni people] una nor talk Ooo, Oya cry fowl na

I 8 wen some parasites call me lazzy , jst b grateful to us, if not for our resources hungry 4 don beat una and some other parasites

Una make dey call us lazy una strong.
. instead of u to correct ur people u go dey support there wrong doing,

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 7:19am On May 04, 2015
OgagaMic:

lolz who cares abt u, wen illiad insulted us @ a thread [Meet the Ofoni people] una nor talk Ooo, Oya cry fowl na

I 8 wen some parasites call me lazzy , jst b grateful to us, if not for our resources hungry 4 don beat una and some other parasites

Una make dey call us lazy una strong.
. instead of u to correct ur people u go dey support there wrong doing,

Oh STFU. I'm from Asaba, grew up in delta, ph, anambra and enugu, been to warri multiple times and no one calls urhobo lazy. Stop whining at us cause other are calling YOU, yes YOU by your damnself, lazy.
Most likely you are lazy. The amount of cry babying and whining you've been doing, I actually don't blame them for bullying you. I wish I was there when they were calling you lazy, I would have joined them and called you a baby too.

#annoying @ss nigg@. Mtchewwww

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:19am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

If certain people call you names you don't like, then you prove them wrong by being opposite of that they call you. As they say, there is no smoke without a fire. Look inside of you and do some soul searching for the truth. Sometimes, we fail to perceive ourselves in relation to others and it is through others that we come to know our outwardly attitude. That's all I have to say.

read ur follow Igbo comment https://www.nairaland.com/illiad, tat guy jst 8 Urhobo, I nor jst understand Ooo, if na another person they attack una, una 4 they cry fowl

Oh me people re well educated, we av d ibrus, ogboru and many others, we re hardworking too.

so tell ur peeps to back off, stop calling us names in our own land, na wa

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 7:20am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

I have no problem with Obeah being derived from Igbo language just don't want it to be interpreted as Caribbean folks using it in terms of Igbo divination systems as I am aware they have their own religious system.

I suppose the High Commission market it more because people show more interest in it....there is a market basically.I do not think Igbo people I have met personally market their culture.Like my best friend ex-husband for years is an Igbo man from Onitsha, Anambra but in all the time I have known him...he barely spoke about his culture.Another one I met at university who is from Delta state he barely spoke about his culture even when interest was shown as I am the type of person who ask people about their culture even if they are from the Caribbean self.Same cannot be said for the Yorubas I have met who were generally eager to share their culture.

It is weird as I have met more Igbo Nigerians than Yoruba Nigerians and they are married to Trinidadian women so I don't understand why the culture is not promoted.The Nigerian High Commission really tries with promoting Yoruba culture.Presently Yoruba language is the only African language that is taught at the University of the West Indies which is where the Language Institute is under and I heard from the teacher they want to introduce it up to the diploma level.

Historically with regards to Trinidadians we have a stronger pull towards Yoruba culture as it is quite normal to meet an Adeola,Olatunji etc as there are many Orisha devotees so I get why the High Commission promotes it but at the same time there are a few half-igbo babies in Trinidad so I think they can work on it.

Yoruba culture marketability is also helped by private organisations as the Yoruba teacher reached out to Black conscious groups which gives further exposure.If Igbo can work on that I think eventually we will learn more about the culture.
You are right to an extent. Igbo people don't really promote their culture,even in Nigeria it's easy to find igbos wearing Yoruba attire cos of their high migration rate. Igbo people are the only Nigerians that will migrate out of igboland and absolve the culture and language of their host community.
That being said,not all Orisha devotees are yoruba or affiliated with yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:25am On May 04, 2015
Emmanuel247:
Good to know

**modified**

Igbos have been everywhere

Were everywhere

And are still Everywhere.......

IGBO KWENU grin

And haterz be hating grin grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:26am On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

Oh STFU. I'm from Asaba, grew up in delta, ph, anambra and enugu, been to warri multiple times and no one calls urhobo lazy. Stop whining at us cause other are calling YOU, yes YOU by your damnself, lazy.
Most likely you are lazy. The amount of cry babying and whining you've been doing, I actually don't blame them for bullying you. I wish I was there when they were calling you lazy, I would have joined them and called you a baby too.

#annoying @ss nigg@. Mtchewwww

lolz... u re from asaba nw I see, case close,
calling us lazy, lolz I laugh in Hausa, there was a little fight in my area recently, jst because an Igbo guy called our youth lazy tat all they do is to take devy from all d oil company, trust my boys na, we beat d guy black and blue

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 7:33am On May 04, 2015
OgagaMic:

lolz... u re from asaba nw I see, case close,
calling us lazy, lolz I laugh in Hausa, there was a little fight in my area recently, jst because an Igbo guy called our youth lazy tat all they do is to take devy from all d oil company, trust my boys na, we beat d guy black and blue

Story!!!! You, ogagamic, is LAZY. Stop dragging the rest of urhobo into it. When ppl call you lazy, you start whining screaming they calling the entire urhobo lazy
Evidence: this reply to my last post.

Cry cry baby. Common commot from my face with your whining and attention seeking.
Stop invading igbo threads, trying to butt urhobo into it. Stop being the notice me ashawo. Mtchewww. Cry cry baby
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 7:42am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

I have no problem with Obeah being derived from Igbo language just don't want it to be interpreted as Caribbean folks using it in terms of Igbo divination systems as I am aware they have their own religious system.

I suppose the High Commission market it more because people show more interest in it....there is a market basically.I do not think Igbo people I have met personally market their culture.Like my best friend ex-husband for years is an Igbo man from Onitsha, Anambra but in all the time I have known him...he barely spoke about his culture.Another one I met at university who is from Delta state he barely spoke about his culture even when interest was shown as I am the type of person who ask people about their culture even if they are from the Caribbean self.Same cannot be said for the Yorubas I have met who were generally eager to share their culture.

It is weird as I have met more Igbo Nigerians than Yoruba Nigerians and they are married to Trinidadian women so I don't understand why the culture is not promoted.The Nigerian High Commission really tries with promoting Yoruba culture.Presently Yoruba language is the only African language that is taught at the University of the West Indies which is where the Language Institute is under and I heard from the teacher they want to introduce it up to the diploma level.

Historically with regards to Trinidadians we have a stronger pull towards Yoruba culture as it is quite normal to meet an Adeola,Olatunji etc as there are many Orisha devotees so I get why the High Commission promotes it but at the same time there are a few half-igbo babies in Trinidad so I think they can work on it.

Yoruba culture marketability is also helped by private organisations as the Yoruba teacher reached out to Black conscious groups which gives further exposure.If Igbo can work on that I think eventually we will learn more about the culture.

To understand the reason behind the lesser interest in Igbo culture, you need to first understand who the Igbo people and Yoruba people are naturally. The gravitation of afro-descended peoples towards Yorubas is the fact that Yorubas are culturally sophisticated. They are a traditional people who love their culture immensely and promote it. Yorubas do anything to promote their culture and anywhere they go their culture comes first. Yorubas can migrate to a different culture, live for several decades and not speak the language of their host community nor adopt their customs. However, the Igbo people are a dynamic bunch, who adapt very easily to change. The Igbos migrate in mass numbers to other regions and adopt the mannerisms and/or language of their host community (needed especially for business purposes). The lesser interest in Igbo culture stems from the fact that Igbos are more than willing to change, often leaving culture behind and forging ahead in life. Now you have two major Nigerian groups - the traditionally-inclined Yorubas and the Dynamic and westernized Igbos. Each of these characters has their advantages. While being won't to retain their tradition, this has ensured the survival of yoruba-derived religions in the americas, while lesser survived of the dynamic Igbos, who adapted readily into their new environment. However, the dynamicity of the Igbo (their openness to change and westernization) has given them an edge over Yorubas in Nigeria in terms of individual development, literacy level, entrepreneurship and financial success.

For example, I'm sure you've heard of Nigerian movie industry before and seen some nollywood movies. However, what you wouldn't know is that 'Nollywood movie industry' is actually owned and run by the Igbos of eastern Nigeria, and the movies are quite popular all over africa, the carribean, europe etc with its success attributed majorly to the fact that the msotly igbo actors and actresses prefer to act in English language than Igbo language ( only recently have more Igbo language movies become more and more produced in numbers), while the Yorubas have a smaller movie industry, compared with the Igbo's, with movies acted mostly in Yoruba language with movies limited within the south west region of Nigeria (where yorubas are found in Nigeria). In the movie industry sector of Nigeria, we see the dynamic trait giving the Igbos an edge over the Yorubas, who prefer tradition and cultural preservation to being dynamic by acting movies in Yoruba language, which is a good thing, but doesn't help in withstanding the strong competition in an ever-dynamic world of ours today. Nollywood today stands as the number 2 movie industry in the world in terms of gross number of movies produced annually and number 3 in gross annual earnings - thanks to Igbo boys.

In the end, tribes and people are different with different qualities. Afro descended peoples may be more interested in yoruba culture than Igbo, owing to yoruba cultural sophistication, however it doesn't undermine the fact that many of these afro-descended adherents are genetically Igbo, Kongo, Ovimbundu, Akan etc. Religion may change over time but DNA remains the same.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:46am On May 04, 2015
I don't know how genuine this interest is in terms of claiming African descendants in the Caribbean for both Yorubas and Igbos or if it is merely bragging points but those who are more interested in history there is a historian by the name of Maureen Warner Lewis who wrote a book titled "Archibald Monteath: Igbo, Jamaican, Moravian" and for Yorubas she wrote "Trinidad Yoruba: From Mother-Tongue to Memory".

She also wrote a book titled "Central Africa in the Caribbean: Transcending Time, Transforming Cultures" which mentions to a small extent Yorubas and Igbos (in the sense of Bight of Biafra).She gives a percentage breakdown of some ethnic groups during certain years that arrived in some Caribbean countries.The Igbos are very right when they say Jamaica has a sizable amount of Igbo descendants and that includes Trinidad where we had 41.2% from the Bight of Biafra in 1813 (note all can't be assumed to be Igbo as that same historian mentioned Ibibio influence in some Caribbean cultures).From the book St.Lucia also received quite an amount of folks from the Bight of Biafra

A bit of the Yorubas who came to Trinidad didn't come as slaves but as Indentured servants like East Indians in the 1800s.This would have been after slavery was abolished as history shows that is East Indians came to the Caribbean.Igbos and Congo folks came as Indentured servants in the Caribbean during that time also.

Note the book emphasis is on Central Africa however as they have a much larger influence due to the fact they were at least 44.2% of the Africans who were shipped as cargo during the slave trade.

The book can be downloaded at http://www.ebook3000.com/Central-Africa-in-the-Caribbean--Transcending-Space--Transforming-Culture_255961.html

It is long btw...428 pages

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 7:48am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:
I don't know how genuine this interest is in terms of claiming African descendants in the Caribbean for both Yorubas and Igbos or if it is merely bragging points but those who are more interested in history there is a historian by the name of Maureen Warner Lewis who wrote a book titled "Archibald Monteath: Igbo, Jamaican, Moravian" and for Yorubas she wrote "Trinidad Yoruba: From Mother-Tongue to Memory".

She also wrote a book titled "Central Africa in the Caribbean: Transcending Time, Transforming Cultures" which mentions to a small extent Yorubas and Igbos (in the sense of Bight of Biafra).She gives a percentage breakdown of some ethnic groups during certain years that arrived in some Caribbean countries.The Igbos are very right when they say Jamaica has a sizable amount of Igbo descendants and that includes Trinidad where we had 41.2% from the Bight of Biafra in 1813 (note all can't be assumed to be Igbo as that same historian mentioned Ibibio influence in some Caribbean cultures).From the book St.Lucia also received quite an amount of folks from the Bight of Biafra.

Quite a bit of the Yorubas who came to Trinidad didn't come as slaves but as Indentured servants like East Indians in the 1800s.

Note the book emphasis is on Central Africa however as they have a much larger influence due to the fact they were at least 44.2% of the Africans who were shipped as cargo during the slave trade.

The book can be downloaded at http://www.ebook3000.com/Central-Africa-in-the-Caribbean--Transcending-Space--Transforming-Culture_255961.html

Are you from Trinidad?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tpiadotcom: 7:53am On May 04, 2015
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 7:54am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

She also wrote a book titled "Central Africa in the Caribbean: Transcending Time, Transforming Cultures" which mentions to a small extent Yorubas and Igbos (in the sense of Bight of Biafra).She gives a percentage breakdown of some ethnic groups during certain years that arrived in some Caribbean countries.The Igbos are very right when they say Jamaica has a sizable amount of Igbo descendants and that includes Trinidad where we had 41.2% from the Bight of Biafra in 1813 (note all can't be assumed to be Igbo as that same historian mentioned Ibibio influence in some Caribbean cultures).From the book St.Lucia also received quite an amount of folks from the Bight of Biafra.

Quite a bit of the Yorubas who came to Trinidad didn't come as slaves but as Indentured servants like East Indians in the 1800s.

This is not about bragging points but about correcting an impression relating to slavery in the caribbean. Nobody said igbos and yorubas were the only groups exported to caribbean countries.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by wtfCode: 8:02am On May 04, 2015
it feels good when u see ur name going around the world
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:04am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

To understand the reason behind the lesser interest in Igbo culture, you need to first understand who the Igbo people and Yoruba people are naturally. The gravitation of afro-descended peoples towards Yorubas is the fact that Yorubas are culturally sophisticated. They are a traditional people who love their culture immensely and promote it. Yorubas do anything to promote their culture and anywhere they go their culture comes first. Yorubas can migrate to a different culture, live for several decades and not speak the language of their host community nor adopt theit customs. However, the Igbo people are a dynamic, who adapt very easily to change. The Igbos migrate in mass numbers to other regions and adopt the mannerisms and/or language of their host community (needed especially for business purposes). The lesser interest in Igbo culture stems from the fact that Igbos are more than willing to change, often leaving culture behind and forging ahead in life. Now you have two major Nigerian groups - the traditionally-inclined Yorubas and the Dynamic and westernized Igbos. Each of these characters has their advantages. While being won't to retain their tradition, this has ensured the survival of yoruba-derived religions in the americas, while lesser survived of the dynamic Igbos, who adapted readily into their new environment. However, the dynamicity of the Igbo (their openness to change and westernization) has given them an edge over Yorubas in Nigeria in terms of individual development, literacy level, entrepreneurship and financial success.

For example, I'm sure you've heard of Nigerian movie industry before and seen some nollywood movies. However, what you wouldn't know is that 'Nollywood movie industry' is actually owned and run by the Igbos of eastern Nigeria, and the movies are popular all over africa, the carribean, europe etc with its success attributed to the major fact that the mostly igbo actors and actresses prefer to act in English language not Igbo language only recently have more Igbo language movies become more and more produced in numbers), while the Yorubas have a smaller movie industry (compared with the Igbo's) with movies acted mostly in Yoruba language - a fact which you do not know about, with movies largely unknown beyond the south west region of Nigeria (where yorubas are found). In the movie industry sector of Nigeria, we see the dynamic trait giving the Igbos an edge over the Yorubas, who prefer tradition and cultural preservation to being dynamic by acting movies in Yoruba language, which is a good thing, but doesn't help in withstanding the strong competition in an ever-dynamic world of ours today. Nollywood today stands as the number 2 movie industry in the world in terms of gross number of movies produced annually and number 3 in gross annual earnings - thanks to Igbo boys.

In the end, tribes and people are different with different qualities. Afro descended peoples may be more interested in yoruba culture than Igbo, owing to the yoruba cultural sophistication, however it doesn't undermine the fact that many of these afro-descended adherents are genetically Igbo, Kongo, Ovimbundu, Akan etc. Religion may change over time but DNA remains the same.

I don't think those stuff are mutually exclusive.It is good that both groups have these qualities but Westernization doesn't mean one must throw away their cultural norms.Culture is not something static but dynamic just as language...it adapts...the Indians do it,the Chinese do it...so why must Indigenous African cultures not be able to adapt? Does Lagos not have Indians but yet Indians have temples there and you know they are Hindus?Like here in Trinidad ,Indians are quite Westernized but the Indian culture is very strong to the point it is a fabric of the National culture.It is quite normal to partake in Divali,listen to Indian music and watch Bollywood movies,Dress in India wear and at least 26% of them are still Hindus.

Even though Igbos are westernized, I would like to think they still hold onto aspects of their culture even if the religion aspect is neglected.That's the point I am getting at, it would be welcomed if Igbo people in Trinidad would expose people to more of their culture as I am able to be exposed to Bajan culture,Jamaican culture etc upon interacting with them despite all of us being westernized.Personally I always like learning about others culture even if it is a 1% difference from mines to understand people different life perspectives and perceptions.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tpiadotcom: 8:06am On May 04, 2015
wtfCode:
it feels good when u see ur name going around the world

Really?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:08am On May 04, 2015
[quote author=tpiadotcom post=33398707]

Probably.[/quote

That was from the Historian work I mentioned earlier.This is not alluding that majoirty of Yorubas were not enslaved but a couple of them were not.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:11am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

This is not about bragging points but about correcting an impression relating to slavery in the caribbean. Nobody said igbos and yorubas were the only groups exported to caribbean countries.

That's cool...just putting out a disclaimer grin.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tpiadotcom: 8:12am On May 04, 2015
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:12am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Are you from Trinidad?

Yes
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 8:14am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

I don't think those stuff are mutually exclusive.It is good that both groups have these qualities but Westernization doesn't mean one must throw away their cultural norms.Culture is not something static but dynamic just as language...it adapts...the Indians do it,the Chinese do it...so why must Indigenous African cultures not be able to adapt? Does Lagos not have Indians but yet Indians have temples there and you know they are Hindus?Like here in Trinidad ,Indians are quite Westernized but the Indian culture is very strong to the point it is a fabric of the National culture.It is quite normal to partake in Divali,listen to Indian music and watch Bollywood movies,Dress in India wear and at least 26% of them are still Hindus.

Even though Igbos are westernized, I would like to think they still hold onto aspects of their culture even if the religion aspect is neglected.That's the point I am getting at, it would be welcomed if Igbo people in Trinidad would expose people to more of their culture as I am able to be exposed to Bajan culture,Jamaican culture etc upon interacting with them despite all of us being westernized.Personally I always like learning about others culture even if it is a 1% difference from mines to understand people different life perspectives and perceptions.
I believe we are only writing the same thing. Igbos don't express or teach their cultures unlike other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Stakeholders are trying to expose contemporary igbo children to core igbo culture,it will probably be extended to the diaspora soon.
If you were Nigerian,you would understand the extent of Western influence on Igbo people and how they have assimilated other Nigerian cultures to the detriment of Igbo culture.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:19am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are right to an extent. Igbo people don't really promote their culture,even in Nigeria it's easy to find igbos wearing Yoruba attire cos of their high migration rate. Igbo people are the only Nigerians that will migrate out of igboland and absolve the culture and language of their host community.
That being said,not all Orisha devotees are yoruba or affiliated with yoruba.

I am well aware of that with regards to Orishas.Still would be nice to be able to interact with Igbo people and they share with you some aspects of their culture.I just believe in cultural exchange lol..especially when it comes to food grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tpiadotcom: 8:20am On May 04, 2015
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:21am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I believe we are only writing the same thing. Igbos don't express or teach their cultures unlike other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Stakeholders are trying to expose contemporary igbo children to core igbo culture,it will probably be extended to the diaspora soon.
If you were Nigerian,you would understand the extent of Western influence on Igbo people and how they have assimilated other Nigerian cultures to the detriment of Igbo culture.

That's gr8.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 8:26am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Definitely, both are not mutually exclusive and personally I would love to see Igbos spread more of their culture. I was giving you a brief background of both tribes and their differences to better understand where both tribes are coming from and why one tribe seems to promote her culture more than the other tribe.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 8:30am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

I am well aware of that with regards to Orishas.Still would be nice to be able to interact with Igbo people and they share with you some aspects of their culture.I just believe in cultural exchange lol..especially when it comes to food grin
That's ok. Exporting igbo culture would have to start from Igbo people in Nigeria before it gets to the diaspora. Igbo people need a total cultural reorientation. I can't speak for Igbos in the caribbean but am aware of igbo cultural groups in North America and London that promote igbo culture from time to time.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 8:30am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

I see that you are quite interested in learning about Igbo culture. I would want to believe that there are many others like you out there equally interested in the Igbo culture as well. This is a wake up call to Igbo people to reach out to its afro-descended peoples out there in the carribean and latin america.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 8:37am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

This video is particularly interesting cos most of the kids have non igbo mothers.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohu2E4slCVE

I believe igbos need a cultural renaissance,but there are igbos that are still in tune with their cultural values..
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Phut(f): 8:40am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Oh goody! Thanks for the link

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by PPAngel(f): 8:41am On May 04, 2015
MeandSum:

he asked you to prove what your said you're asking him to google for ibo. what has google got to do with that?

Google no dey collect money

Let him do his own reserch

He may find out more facts for himself

By the way, how is osogbo?

Taju
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 8:45am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

That is not necessary. The fact that the Igbos were refuse slaves due to their 'hardy headedness' (ishi ike) and 'rebellious' tendencies flatly proves your so-called 'tractable' claims wrong, under your quest to present Igbo slaves as docile and incapable of revolts, when the yorubas were known to be the docile ones, melancholy in character and pliable in nature. The Igbo revolt at St. Simons Island, Georgia, leading to the famous Ebo landing is another famous Igbo revolt in North America.

In Palmares Brazil, the Igbo slaves one time revolted and established the Ibo republic of Palmares that controlled the plantation trade and dictated the trade for the upper half of that century (over 40 years) until its resistance was later quashed by the white slave owners.

In Jamaica, Igbos were known to be very rebellious, often carrying out slave revolts in the country. In Haiti, the Igbos were known to be rebellious and suicidal, thus the haitian phrase for Ibos 'Ibo pend cor ayo' (Igbos hang themselves) and are said to be the backbone behind the liberation of haitians from french rule in the 1800s (independence of haiti).

Your petty attempts to pitch an opposite against the obvious is laughable when academic sources overwhelmingly posit the opposite.
listen you igbos are not as brave as you like to portray. the articles describes you guys as
1-mentally unstable
2-suicidal
3-tractable ( docile )

i see no positives in either of these traits. they all portray weakness. if you are stupid enough to kill yourself why not go on a killing spree and kill all the slave masters before you kill yourself ?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 8:46am On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

Is this dude running away. We are still waiting on your well documented proves.

grin grin grin You can't find it anymore? grin
grin grin grin bros, body no be wood. i had to sleep na

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.