Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,474 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? (677 Views)

Pls Help With Window 7 Key For 32bit Tnx / Help Upgrading 32bit System To 64bit / Activating Vista Ultimate 32bit Retail With Vista Ultimate 64 Bit Oem Serial? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? by adanny01(m): 10:29pm On Feb 04, 2009
I know this medium 'll shed more light on the diffrence btw 64bit and 32 bit systems. Can they share softwares? whats the advantage? These are the questions i have 4 gurus of nairaland.
Re: 64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 05, 2009
RAM - system memory -

32 bit systems use a maximum of 4gb of ram
64 bit systems can theoretically use 100gb of RAM.

this may not seem like an issue, but f you are running a graphics intensive app - photoshop, 3ds max etal, on a 32 bit system, you can actually see your ram dropping to 0. ( ever done a render of a 10mb model? ) during which period you have to contemplate your system in a zen state for anything from 10 minutes to 1 hour

64 bit systems are gaining serious ground now as virtually all software vendors ship 64 bit version of their programs

the cons of 64bit

unsigned device drivers are not allowed - not an issue in yankee, but in naija with all the chinese hardware we buy, may be an issue, as alot of them have unsigned drivers

Visua basic support. 64 bit windows has no native support for visual basic. VB is run via an emulation layer. this leads to a serious lag when running vb commands. this is an issue - as alot of application addons are coded in visual basic - eg asap utilities for MS excel, dotsofts tools for autocad, and all those cool vbsripts on the net that let you automatically create a restore point, toggle your hodden files, etc.

i'm considering dual booting my next pc with 64 and 32 bit windows

i doubt if i'll make the migration any tiome soon, though , some of my fav apps are 32 bit, and while they will run on 64 bit via emulation, i'm not sure 'm read for the long learning curve of hacking /tweaking on a 64 bit OS.
Re: 64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? by netotse(m): 11:32am On Feb 05, 2009
er oyb i think its a 3GB RAM limit for 32-bit not 4GB cos when i was getting my laptop built thats wot HP sed!
Re: 64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2009
actually, it's like 3.5 gb its the catch 22 of installing 4gb, you will only see 3.5gb at most. incidentally, theres a technology called PAE on intel processors that 'sort of' enables 32 bit OSes to utilize more than 4gb of ram
Re: 64bit, 32bit, Whats The Difference? by netotse(m): 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2009
thanks for the info. . .

(1) (Reply)

Need A Very Good Gaming Laptop / Norton Antivirus Urgently Needed / Startech Broad Band Users In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.