Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

OPINION:WELCOME, DELE-DIMGBA By Orimoloye Ifeoluwa - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / OPINION:WELCOME, DELE-DIMGBA By Orimoloye Ifeoluwa (444 Views)

The Essence Of #birthdays: The Need For Self-realization By Orimoloye, Ifeoluwa / …now That You Are Mine By Orimoloye, Ifeoluwa / Unmasking the character behind xenophobia By: Orimoloye, Ifeoluwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OPINION:WELCOME, DELE-DIMGBA By Orimoloye Ifeoluwa by OGBENIIFE: 11:36pm On May 03, 2015
This is relevant, as a commeration of this year's press "occasion"

I guess that by the time my piece goes through effective scrutiny by members of the press and devout-rational thinkers, we shall all realize, before it is too late that the security of life and properties in Nigeria, is just an entitlement of the privilege. Even as I divert from the comments this piece is meant to establish, I want us all to concern ourselves not with the deaths, or just the assassinations but with the controversial manner in which those unjust actions have been carried out. And not just that alone, but the investigations that stems up after those assassinations, as up till the present moment, the controversy behind Dele Giwa’s death hasn’t been unraveled, talk-less of…
It is reality to say that Nigerians do sleep this days with one eye opened, you wouldn’t believe me, it is an “impossible reality” that happens in places in the country, as I am a perfect example. Formerly, I was like the biblical Jonah, but now, occurrences had taught me to be vigilant, and so I spend most of my night fidgeting at every single noise that pervades the nighty-silence, then consoling myself by caressing my sharpened cutlass –weapon of defense- and lamp, like a newly found lover does to his partner, you wouldn’t blame me! Why should I sleep with my two eyes closed, when some powerful individuals are there spending their money on training snipe shooters? Are they out there waiting to shoot at birds or bush meats? Why should I sleep with my two eyes closed, when some individuals at the top are busy sponsoring terrorist organizations? Why should I sleep with both eyes closed when those that are supposed to guarantee my safety are the ones who are said to be sponsoring “sharp shooters”?
Dele Giwa, the fearless journalist was killed in a horrible manner by individuals, who by now, are either walking about the streets of this country, as free-men or individuals who are out of the country enjoying their lives. I am quite sure that immediately after his death, the authorities would continue to assure the deceased family of adequate investigation and bringing those culpable to justice, but alas, years later, Dele-Dimgba died again and now the same assurance will continue to trail the aftermath of his death.
Dele-Dimgba’s death has pointed out one thing, the fact that you can never know the enemy’s line of action, as they might decide to come through places, just like the message a friend sent to me, which suggests that these days, you have to be careful before you cross the road, as after looking left and right as expected of you, you need to look upwards towards the sky, as an assurance that there is no danger coming downwards.
My readers might become curious at this point, as to who Dele-Dimgba is….Dele-Dimgba is the collective name that I have coined for those journalists who died in a controversial form, perhaps as a result of the fearless manner in which they discharged their duties or as a result of the truthful nature that is attached to the manner in which they discharged their duties. In fact, Dele-Dimgba is my definition of what I could refer to as the practice of Journalism with the truthful principle and that leads me to the food-for-thought, which comes in form of a question; “Who can kill Dele-Dimgba?”
Dele-Dimgbas exists among us all, it is only that their existence is limited and they always have a shorter life span –enemies do cut it short. Dele Giwa had long been killed, Dimgba Igwe has just been killed, but their legacies – “Dele-Dimgba”- will forever live on. They have, within their short period of existence, marked their footprint on the sand of fearless jornalism…It is left for us all to continue to uphold the tenets of truth and faithfulness in whatever duties we may find ourselves. With that, I say Goodnight to Dimgba Igwe, even as the world awaits the circumstantial birth of new Dele-Dimgbas, the ones who will use the sword of truth to unravel the mystery behind the death of Dele and Dimgba, and will consequently seek Justice.
ORIMOLOYE, IFEOLUWA

1 Like

Re: OPINION:WELCOME, DELE-DIMGBA By Orimoloye Ifeoluwa by MrPresident1: 11:39pm On May 03, 2015
Subscribing.

(1) (Reply)

Stupid Question People Ask / Check Out New Ways To Buy Fuel (pix)... / Urgent: Please Who's On That Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.