Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,654 members, 7,816,682 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Visa @ Ph.d Age - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Visa @ Ph.d Age (1198 Views)

Romola Adeola, Youngest Ph.D Graduate In Centre For Human Rights, University, SA / CV Of Africa's youngest PH.D holder Olaoluwa Hallowed Oluwadara (Screen Shot ) / Olaoluwa Hallowed-Oluwadara Is Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Visa @ Ph.d Age by fallguy(m): 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2006
this is not a sob story.
i still wanna hav an education,despite setbacks.- U can only do this things once.i wanna do it b4 its too late.
i'm 28 and without a first degree after 8yrs in a Nigerian uni.
let's skip the explanation:
but, i wasnt a cultist, not a party-goer,
shit just happened and strike took its toll.somebody didnt do the job he was paid for and time sped by.

however,

i have anoda opportunity to take a stab at school,but i aim for somewhere outside africa.
i aim at US or Canada. so i can work and subsidize cost.
why? - quality of education is high. cost of living[i think] is low.
probs is ,my sponsor is against my choice of countries,
saying there's no way the US embassy will giv me a visa,my age disqualifies me, and he aint ready
to waste money ,[interview fees etc] in vain, and that besides they gonna see me as
an immigrant cloaking as a student.

i hope to use my secondary school transcript [ 11years ago , i left secondary school]. i hope to start afresh and in a diffrent field.

So what's likely can i git the visa, how likely?

NB:
case u still wanna know why it took so long[ or u still gat appetite fe more sob story].
my school senate too wants to know,that why they hanging the approval of ma result.

************ anatomy of wasted years**************************

[
Admitted-1998.[age -20 ]
5yrs: - 4yrs program duration +1 yr ASUU strike
1yr: extra year[ i wrote ma B.sc project,and all " reported " outstanding courses],
2 yrs: ** [2004 - 2006]
[ cost of a faulty department information system.
searching for my result when i shd have been a graduate.
in the process, more outstanding courses discovered ,date back to yr1,yr 2,
never were reported,
takes me by suprise, no waiver's granted . hav to retake em all. cost me 1 1/2 yrs.
to address em.
july, 2005 all data available at department. hope to git my result by jan 2006,
[despite my data available since 2005, result aint computed till april,2006 !!(9 months later)]
2006 is almost over, i'm still hearing stories. senate wants to know why the overstay in school.
My patience has worn out.
not keen on the lil' game no more.
[age 28 yrs].
]

Reminiscing: remember joking with my mom that i could have ma Ph.D when i'm 28, and graduate
at 23,
ha ha ha, funny how life goes.
i'm seeking admission[b.sc] in ma Ph.D age.!!

Last Words: i'm too proud to be an immigrant,exchanging ma life for minimum wage. $8 or $7 /hr.
or go work as a male nurse- sorry i gat ma manhood on , i gat ma pride!!
rather reign in Naija than kiss white arse in yankee,but you dont have to believe me ,do you?
Re: Visa @ Ph.d Age by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 10, 2006
fallguy:

i have another opportunity to take a stab at school,but i aim for somewhere outside africa.
i aim at US or Canada. so i can work and subsidize cost.
why? - quality of education is high. cost of living[i think] is low.
probs is ,my sponsor is against my choice of countries,
Your sponsor is probably more than right! Yes quality of education is high but is cost of living really low? Have you done any research into this at all? I can authoritatively tell you that it will cost you no less than a minimum of $1000 per month just for liviing expenses alone. Is your school going to offer you free medical insurance? do you know the health care costs in the states dwarfs whatever it might be in Nigeria? Even citizens require health insurance just to survive medical bills. Telephone bills, gas (if you intend to own a car), internet, cable, rent?
Only in Canada is it possible to work and subsidise cost, in the US you cannot work as an international student at least for the first 1 yr. Even if you do get a job in your 2nd yr, you cant work more than 20hrs a week at at most $10 an hr. At $800/month max, it is impossible that you'd be able to save for both tuition and fees and living expenses.

fallguy:

saying there's no way the US embassy will giv me a visa,my age disqualifies me, and he aint ready
to waste money ,[interview fees etc] in vain, and that besides they going to see me as
an immigrant cloaking as a student.

i hope to use my secondary school transcript [ 11years ago , i left secondary school]. i hope to start afresh and in a diffrent field.

So what's likely can i git the visa, how likely?
Your likelihood of getting an F-1 visa at the US consulate in Lagos is very slim. Your age automatically disqualifies you. The next problem you will likely face is the long time interval between your secondary school education and ur wanting to go for a bachelors, a whole 11 yrs! The first question you're likely to be asked is what you have been doing for that period and why you are just deciding to pursue a bachelors degree and why the US! Telling them your sob story is 100% likely to end any slim chance of obtaining a visa!

Most US bachelors degree freshmen are btw the ages 18-20yrs. Very few schools will be willing to admit you, besides you need to take a TOEFL and an SAT, its not possible to use only your secondary school certificate!

fallguy:

Last Words: i'm too proud to be an immigrant,exchanging ma life for minimum wage. $8 or $7 /hr.
or go work as a male nurse- sorry [b]i gat ma manhood on , i gat ma pride!!
rather reign in Naija than kiss white arse in yankee,[/b]but you don't have to believe me ,do you?

Your best bet is to find a way to start "reigning in naija" as soon as possible and stop dreaming tall dreams. The path to success is paved early in life.

(1) (Reply)

UI Bans 'Skimpy' Dresses / Unijos Or Uniabuja Pre Degree Form / Info On 2009/2010 Post Ume Schedule For Uniport And Futminna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.