Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Harvard Lecture: I Did Not Insult Igbo People-soyinka - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Harvard Lecture: I Did Not Insult Igbo People-soyinka (405 Views)

Students Of Abdu Gusau Polytechnic Fight Over "Insult On Prophet Muhammad" / Aminu Gamawa Bags Doctorate Degree At Harvard Law School,US.Photos / C.K Ayo Presents At Harvard University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Harvard Lecture: I Did Not Insult Igbo People-soyinka by greghamite: 11:02am On May 06, 2015
By Junior Otabono

Contrary to the ongoing social media hearsay, Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has refuted labeling Igbo people as politically naive.
The social media platform was agog with the news that Soyingka, while delivering a lecture titled ‘Predicting Nigeria, Electoral Ironies’ at Harvard University Hutchins Centre for African and African American Research in the United States lambasted the Igbo people for voting for stomach interest.
He was quoted as saying “Igbo remained unrepentant and resolute towards their strategic objective of secession at worst; or a Nigerian president of Igbo extraction at best.”
However, Soyinka said in a statement Tuesday denied making such crude comment during his speech.
He strongly warned social media users against peddling unverified rumour.
He said, “I have just read a statement attributed to me on a news outlet, evidently one of the Internet infestations. My lecture at the Hutchins Centre, Harvard University, was video recorded. Anyone who believes what I am alleged to have said must be a slowpoke – repeat, a slowpoke.
“It is demeaning, sickening and boring to have to deal with these cowards who cannot fight their own battles but must fasten their imbecilic pronouncements on others. Only the mentally retarded will credit this comment attributed to me regarding the Ndigbo voting pattern in the last elections.
“I strongly suspect the author of this despicable concoction, and may make a further statement, once the source is verified,” he added.

Link In...>>http://expressng.com/2015/05/harvard-lecture-i-did-not-insult-igbo-people-soyinka/

(1) (Reply)

Edusumo.com / Can You Solve Exam Question Causing Twitter Storm / 2015-University Ranking!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.