Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,658 members, 7,955,376 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:09 AM

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing (13602 Views)

Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize / Yewande Omotoso & Ayobami Adebayo Nominated Baileys Women’s Prize For Fiction / Abubakar Adam Ibrahim Wins The 2016 Nigeria Prize For Literature. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by wman(m): 4:54pm On May 06, 2015
If we were to judge by this thread, Nigerians are stupi.d.

One reason I'm against threads being moved to the front page unless it has passed 1 page of comments. Few intelligent posts. Nothing literary being discussed. All we have is foolish braggers and tribalism.

It's not by force to comment on a thread. People must realise this.

For your PC,Android and PSP games, offline Wikipedia, 1080p HD movies,T.V series and documentaries, tutorials, downloads of anything you need, check us out at https://www.nairaland.com/1035742/garnet-pc-games-sale-cheapest
We deliver all over Nigeria and we are tested and trusted.
Full catalogue is available at j .mp/adlisting

GTA V, MK X and FIFA 15 now available.

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 06, 2015
yibobasher2:

Like the way you came to say you are Delta igbo

Talking about inferiority complex, the tribe that have the least in Nigeria is the Yoruba. We have everything working for us to be bragging about our superiority , but due to our nature of not being proud people we always keep quiet.
I'm not Igbo or Delta-Igbo.

Isn't it inferiority complex mentioning other tribes indirectly(like those dudes did) instead of celebrating your achievement.

You've everything working for you?
How many president has Yoruba produced? Two
Same as Igbo but your kinsmen brag at a slightest opportunity.
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by sukkot: 5:08pm On May 06, 2015
tchidi:

Ehmmm... as an ardent reader of his blog, I know he's not igbo. undecided undecided undecided. I just like him.... i'm not a tribalist.
grin grin wink
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 06, 2015
yibobasher2:

Please dont use Wikipedia as a resource for any argument. The contents are not verified
Out of her four books, three have won award.

Can't that be said of Soyinka's own? She's young and those guys mentioned up there, might be older than her.
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 06, 2015
sukkot:
grin grin wink

undecided undecided tongue tongue
*pokes his eyes with pencil* angry grin
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by sukkot: 5:16pm On May 06, 2015
tchidi:

undecided undecided tongue tongue
*pokes his eyes with pencil* angry grin
violence is not the answer. come here let me give you a hug. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by yibobasher2: 5:20pm On May 06, 2015
Logicalmind1:

Out of her four books, three have won award.

Can't that be said of Soyinka's own? She's young and those guys mentioned up there, might be older than her.

I'm not going to deny the intellectual prowess of this lady. She is making Nigeria proud (or igbo as some people will like to say it) and I wish her all the best
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Shittaakeem(m): 5:25pm On May 06, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Better dan dat dead soyinka
Won nobel prize wif books like jewel and d lion or vice versa
Going everywhere ranting lie a slowpoke
Say no to "change"
We nid transformation
I pray and hope we won't regret voting out transformation

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by repogirl(f): 5:36pm On May 06, 2015
Logicalmind1:

Didn't you read his sarcasm comparing Chimamanda with cococyam or you just hate her?
Why would I hate her when I don't know or even care about her?

Chimamanda began it all when she referred to him as one of her boys which he didn't take kindly to, and then she went on to degrade and belittle the Caine's prize as if it was nothing. If Caine's Prize is not a true way to test a writer's worth, I guess the Orange prize is because she won it sometime back, right?

She needs to take her arrogance down lots of notches, her cynicism and arrogance really is unnerving and I hardly blame Elnathan for retaliating in a most offensive manner.

She is overly opinionated and as such doesn't buffer most of what she says which can end up rubbing people off in the wrong way. She's conceited enough to believe her ideas are the ideal and other's are rubbish.

I don't hate her, far from it. I just wish for someone of her status, she needs to apply more wisdom when making her utterances and not just blab the first offending thing that gets into her head.

2 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 06, 2015
sukkot:
violence is not the answer. come here let me give you a hug. cheesy

Reading through your posts and.. mehn, you are one crazy fella! undecided undecided wink embarassed
Don't hug me o!! In case it's contagious! *run*
Stop derailing too... angry sad
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by MEILYN(m): 5:43pm On May 06, 2015
tchidi:
Elnathan John o!! kiss kiss kiss kiss
You think he is Igbo because of the name? Yea, you are right, just a little bit wrong. grin kiss
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by sukkot: 5:47pm On May 06, 2015
tchidi:

Reading through your posts and.. mehn, you are one crazy fella! undecided undecided wink embarassed
Don't hug me o!! In case it's contagious! *run*
Stop derailing too... angry sad
grin grin ok no more derailing wink
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 06, 2015
MEILYN:
You think he is Igbo because of the name? Yea, you are right, just a little bit wrong. grin kiss

Wairaminit! angry angry angry
Elnathan is not an igbo name, neither is john. undecided undecided. So what's your point again?

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by MEILYN(m): 5:50pm On May 06, 2015
tchidi:

Wairaminit! angry angry angry
Elnathan is not an igbo name, neither is john. undecided undecided. So what's your point again?
You thought he was Igbo. Please don't deny it. Two people were nominated and you only acknowledged a Northerner who you initially thought was Igbo because of his English name
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 06, 2015
MEILYN:
You thought he was Igbo. Please don't deny it. Two people were nominated and you only acknowledged a Northerner who you initially thought was Igbo because of his English name

Dude, i was born in the north, i presently live and work here so I consider them family! I am a fan of Elnathan's work and so I have no idea what you are driving it. If you thought he was igbo because of his name, not everyone is ignorant. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 06, 2015
repogirl:
Why would I hate her when I don't know or even care about her?

Chimamanda began it all when she referred to him as one of her boys which he didn't take kindly to, and then she went on to degrade and belittle the Caine's prize as if it was nothing. If Caine's Prize is not a true way to test a writer's worth, I guess the Orange prize is because she won it sometime back, right?

She needs to take her arrogance down lots of notches, her cynicism and arrogance really is unnerving and I hardly blame Elnathan for retaliating in a most offensive manner.

She is overly opinionated and as such doesn't buffer most of what she says which can end up rubbing people off in the wrong way. She's conceited enough to believe her ideas are the ideal and other's are rubbish.

I don't hate her, far from it. I just wish for someone of her status, she needs to apply more wisdom when making her utterances and not just blab the first offending thing that gets into her head.
I don't see anything wrong in referring to him as her boy.
Achebe referred Chimamanda as her daughter and she never got riled up.
Elnathan is the proud one. Your mentee is your boss and if you can't deal with it, stop attending his/her workshop.

So, if your boss call you his girl, you will get angry? Or go online and start making a cocoyam analogy with him? Many things men get away with, but when a woman does it, she becomes a cynical rebel.

Wole Soyinka has cricticise some works and Adichie has the right to the same - not like her opinion would change anything, anyway.
BTW, Elnathan hasn't won "Caine prize" except some couple of nominations just like Chimamanda when she was an upcoming; why should he get angry because of her opinions when the real winners didn't?

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by yibobasher2: 7:39pm On May 06, 2015
Logicalmind1:

I'm not Igbo or Delta-Igbo.

Isn't it inferiority complex mentioning other tribes indirectly(like those dudes did) instead of celebrating your achievement.

You've everything working for you?
How many president has Yoruba produced? Two
Same as Igbo but your kinsmen brag at a slightest opportunity.

Sorry I misquote you, you said your mum is Delta-Igbo and that for sure doesn't make you a Delta-Igbo . My bad

To your point, I will like to correct some mistakes. You said Yoruba hasn't produced more than 2 presidents and for that there is nothing to brag about. I will like to enlighten you that the pride of a tribe is not in the number of presidents it produced but rather in the number of prominent sons and daughters from such tribe. Take for example Kenya, the 2nd and 3rd largest tribe luhya and Luo has never produced a president since the country independence in 1963. However, the 2 tribes have produced prominent people. A good example is Barack Obama Snr, he was from Luo. And Luo people can rightly take pride in saying that their son became the first black president of USA. If you really care, I can mention tons of achievement from the yoruba nation. The other mistake is mentioning that the Igbos has produced two president/head of government in Nigeria just like the Yorubas. That's incorrect because the igbos have only one in Aguiyi Ironsi. Nnamdi Azikiwe wasn't the head of government, he was just a ceremonial president just like the queen is ceremonial in the UK.

List of Nigeria past/present leaders from 1960 for your enlightenment are

Tafawa Balewa
Aguiyi Ironsi
Yakubu Gowon
Murtala Muhammed
Olusegun Obasanjo
Shehu Shagari
Muhammadu Buhari
Ibrahim Babangida
Ernest Shonekan
Sanni Abacha
Abdul Salam Abubakar
Olusegun Obasanjo
Umaru Yar adua
Goodluck Jonathan
Muhammadu Buhari (elect)

2 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by illiad: 10:57pm On May 06, 2015
Luukasz:
Abi nw....when it was Obi Okeke,they where making a hell of noise but here's Segun Afolabi..we yorubas aint making any noise cos tribalism isnt our thing in YORUBA LAND

Of course you're not making noise you're only making troubles

FYI Segun's goodbye Lucille was very poor

I hope his flying would be better.

I wish them well.
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by illiad: 11:01pm On May 06, 2015
Luukasz:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] Itz not a must he wins it
so far he's nominated its a good thing for Nigeria & as for chimamanda,she can never ever on earth reach Wole Soyinkas lvl if thats what u want to hear...what else do u av to say

Lol
Prof Wole is not a novelist but dramatist.
He only wrote one novel all his life. And I can bet anything that you can never understand the fist sentence in Soyinka novel. If you argue I will post it here now and ask you the meaning.

As for Chimamanda, right now she,s the best Africa can offer in terms of creative writing.

2 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by illiad: 11:11pm On May 06, 2015
yibobasher2:
The bitter truth
Yeebos are spiteful grin cheesy
Lol They're so spiteful you had a disdainful name, yorubbish-basher2
Funny people.
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by illiad: 11:21pm On May 06, 2015
yibobasher2:

If it is by that then Fela has won 50 grammy and Oscar awards

Do you know how many musicians and artists that had used Fela songs extracts for the musical videos and movies?

My brother, Beyonce was nominated and she gave deserved recognition to Chimamanda

You're a miserable bigot. Soon you'll be blinded by your ignorance, hate, bigotry&tribalism which was exactly what made awolowo to commit suicide.

saharareporters.com/2015/02/05/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-nominated-grammy-award-beyonce

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, critically
acclaimed Nigerian novelist and award-
winning author of Americanah has been
nominated for a Grammy award for her
feminist-inspired collaboration with
American entertainer Beyonce, on her
2013 track "Flawless."

2 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by yibobasher2: 5:21am On May 07, 2015
illiad:

You're a miserable bigot. Soon you'll be blinded by your ignorance, hate, bigotry&tribalism which was exactly what made awolowo to commit suicide.

saharareporters.com/2015/02/05/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-nominated-grammy-award-beyonce

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, critically
acclaimed Nigerian novelist and award-
winning author of Americanah has been
nominated for a Grammy award for her
feminist-inspired collaboration with
American entertainer Beyonce, on her
2013 track "Flawless."

A comment from a re.tard and simpleton like you makes my market of bashing the yeebos sell. Since your cerebral cortex has been damaged from your father molestation, I will bear the pain of dealing with an im.becile like you with decorum.

Out of sheer stupi.dity, you decided to say something dumb about great Awo before you passed a point about Chimamanda. If dying at ripe age of 78 implies committing suicide to you, then pray never to get to that age before you die so as not to commit suicide.
To Chimamanda talk, i thought you will provide a good source (not sahara reporter) to back up your point that she was actually nominated for Grammy. Since your thinking faculty has been deroded beyond repair to come with a reliable source. This is one from Chimamanda website http://chimamanda.com/about-chimamanda/. Can you see where she put Grammy nominee in her bio slowpoke?
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by amywonda: 5:42am On May 07, 2015
Crispels:
They are always from the South, why??
ElNathan John is a northerner
Re: Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing by Fellonigerians: 2:14pm On May 08, 2015
Goodluck to them...

Keep making Nigeria proud...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Confessions Of A Video Vixen / The Untold Story Of Adam And Eve / Ideal (18+) [book 4 Of Xav-verse] [completed]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.