Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,162 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:15 AM

I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera (1293 Views)

THE Visit To Grand Ma, A Scary Story That Will Shock U / The University Village - A Story / Buried Emotion - A Short Love Story That Touches The Heart. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by yicob(m): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2006
i believe is high time we left all his joking attitude and move to the next level. i have a very tight story that is good for an opera. so if u re interested in working with me as in acting, directing and even sponsoring, let me see your reply. profits will be shared in equal ratio. 1:1.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Seun(m): 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2006
Questions:
1) Is the story any good? (summary or excerpt will be helpful)
2) What would be required to run such a show? Equipment, musicians, venue, advertising?
3) How do you know that an opera show will make money in Nigeria?
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Orikinla(m): 4:49pm On Sep 16, 2006
I love challenges such as yours.
Opera will succeed in Nigeria if it is well produced and promoted.

You need a good composer of music if you don't have one already to compose your opera.
Because, the music is best written to the words of the dialogue of your drama.

My hands are quite full now, otherwise I would have joined you to achieve your purpose.

By God's grace, I should be able to work for such projects this time next year.

I wish you all the best.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Hugoboi(m): 4:53pm On Sep 16, 2006
Opera in Nigeria!!! Booo Hoooo!!! Give me a friggin' break!!!
Try sumn else.I aint tryn to sound like a hater,but that aint eva gon' happen!!
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by alarinjo(m): 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2006
Where are you yicob? Contact me. I could give you some background info. on Nigerian opera and other forms of musical theater (we have a long tradition of music theater in Nigeria) I wrote my masters thesis on Yoruba music theater.

Hugoboi, where were you when Ogunde, Duro Ladipo, and Wale Ogunyemi were dominating the Nigerian theatrical landscape?
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Orikinla(m): 4:30pm On Sep 17, 2006
Alarinjo,
There are millions of people who don't know these facts. And don't blame them. Because where are the popular stage performances of the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s?

Nollywood has killed the Nigerian Theatre. And all our stage directors have jumped on the bandwagon of Nollywood, posing and posturing as film directors. grin
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by alarinjo(m): 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2006
Orikinla,

this is true. Mass media was the downfall of our once very vibrant music theater tradition. The film format is in a sense quite limiting, especially when it comes to music theater. When our folk opera practitioners turned to film the first thing to go was the musical dialogue, and that was the death of the genre. But other factors have also contributed to this demise, mostly economic ones. Staging an opera or musical is no cheap business as you well might know. But things can still be revived. We have an LP of Duro Ladipo's classic "Oba Koso" here in our library at Pittsburgh which I intend to score and reproduce someday in the latter future. Let's keep watching the horizon and hoping that the changes we need to revive, not only music theater, but the general theater tradition in Nigeria will take place soon.

Yicob, try to get in touch with me. You can leave a message on my blog and we'll take it from there: alantakun..com
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Seun(m): 8:14pm On Sep 17, 2006
Mass media was the downfall of our once very vibrant music theater tradition.
What stops producers from including music in films? Isn't it better to watch a VCD movie at home than to have to wait until the drama group producing it that comes to town? It's just not cool to complain about progress!
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by yicob(m): 2:14am On Sep 18, 2006
Alarinjo,
i really appreciate your sense of humor and understanding. I belief there is sometin we can still do to revive the conventional theatre. Well i'll love workin wit matured minds like you. Shd i post the synopsis of the opera here or your blog?
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Seun(m): 7:57am On Sep 18, 2006
You don't appreciate his "sense of humor" or "understanding". You just want him to help you.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Orikinla(m): 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2006
Alarinjo,
I am with you all the way.

Duro Ladipo's Oba Koso is now an all time classic.

Seun,
Musical Video is child's play compared to musical drama or opera.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Seun(m): 9:29pm On Sep 18, 2006
How is it child's play?
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by alarinjo(m): 2:05am On Sep 19, 2006
Yicob,

i really appreciate your sense of humor and understanding.

Thanks.

Shd i post the synopsis of the opera here or your blog?

Up to you. Either will do, but perhaps the blog would be better

Seun,

What stops producers from including music in films?

absolutely nothing (opera is not music inserted in a play though)

It's just not cool to complain about progress

Film and Stage are two different formats that support a variety of genres to varying degrees. Film just doesnt happen to be the best format to support opera either artistically or economically. It is not a matter of one format being better than the other, and therefore the question of "progress" as you call it is, is not applicable . Film was not developed as a new medium to make staged genres better. Two different histories, two different aesthetics, both have their pluses and minuses. In most societies, both are enjoyed side by side for their individual merits.

You don't appreciate his "sense of humor" or "understanding". You just want him to help you.

Nothing wrong with wanting help.

Orinkinla,

Thanks for the encouragement. Lets keep the candle burning.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Raymand(m): 3:06am On Sep 19, 2006
This is one of those thing that if it succeeds, it's going to HUGE! and if it fails would be discouraging. . .it's a shaky endeavour, but if successful the reward could be overwhelming. . .goodluck man. . .
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by yicob(m): 3:39am On Sep 19, 2006
Orikinla,
Really appreciate you for setting more drive in me. Making me know I can do.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by tukur2002n(m): 9:50am On Sep 22, 2006
Guyz this is really great. i won't mind to be part of ur chracter in the opera ok.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by yicob(m): 3:44pm On Sep 22, 2006
ALARINJO,

I TRIED POSTING IT TO YOUR WEB BUT DIDNT GET THRU SO I DECIDED TO SEND IT HERE . I WILL LOVE YOUR REPLY TO BE POSTED HERE.

FẸLẸMU

The story is about a man called Felemu who was brought up without silver spoon. The only thing he was used to in his childhood was to follow his father to the yam and cassava farm which was about 8 kilometers from their house. Felemu though born to a hardworking father was very lazy and all he did in the farm was to yarn, pick snails and roast yams. He never new how to make heaps or clear grasses.

When he was 8 years old, the mother, Ijaduola gave birth to a baby girl called Adunni. In the course of the birth of the new born baby, the father Adebiyi went to the farm but never returned. He was swallowed by a python.

Adebiyi being the only source of providing income for the family, left the family in a state of sorrow and confusion after his death. Ijaduola was on the verge of committing suicide when a neighbour came to her rescue and promised to know whether her misdenomous will end very soon by taken her to the Ifa priest who said “ awon omo re yoo se orire ni aipe jojo. Sugbon oni lati ni suuru. Nnkan soso ti o ko gbodo se nipe o ko gbodo fe oko miran tabi kiwon su o ni opo.”

Since Felemu has no flair for farming, He decided to join a group of hunting team though the mother never supported the idea. It was through the help of the extended family and hospitable neighbours that allowed them to even live from hand to mouth.

In couple of years, disturbance came from the in-laws family that Ijaduola must be married to Adebiyi’s younger brother and aside that the leader of the hunting group is disturbing Felemu to talk to his mother to marry him since he is a divorcee. When the problem was too much for her, she has to move out of the turn of Jakumo with har daughter.

After several sub themes, the story ended that a new king was on the throne in the town and told all those in exiles to return home. Ijaduola returned with a baby boy and girl together with Adduni from an unknown husband and Felemu,s life is really frustrated because he remained a least hunter and no other work.
The town history was traced and it was discovered that Adebiyi, Adeoba and Obaboloye were the fouder of the town and it was agreed to rotate kingship among the 3 families but due to old age Adebiyi who was the great grand father of Felemu died and the other 2 families conspired together to rule out the Adebiyis.
Felemu was invited to the throne after the death of the king and he was told he would be the next king if only he has no step brother from the parents. Alas the mother has provided one already. In a bid to settle things, Ijaduola called Felemu and Adunni who left the town the same time the mother did and said the only solution out of the problem is to refer to the babies as her grand children from Adduni.
The did was done and Felemu was unknowingly made a king of the town of Jakumo without respect to the gods. Will the gods sleep?
Lets watch out!!!

Please Mr. Alarinjo, help screen the script and see if it will be alright for the opera or other things.

Even if I wont use this script, I will like to do other works with you because I saw a verve in you.
Re: I Have A Story That's Fit For An Opera by Seun(m): 10:24pm On Sep 22, 2006
It seems as if your story has an unsatisfactory ending (part 2 syndrome). That cheats your fans!

(1) (Reply)

Can You Write A Good Story That Touches The Heart? You Can Write For Us... / Pen And Paper / Yes I Do....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.