Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? (8411 Views)

Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion / What Is The Spiritual Implication Of Blood Transfusion? (if There's Any) / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:18pm On May 08, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol, I don't sit on the fence at all times though, just on things I find unexplainable, you know, it's hard for someone who likes to reason to just be on the fence.grin
Hehe, i guess i'll sit on the fence with you on this case jare. Until i can completely understand or explain these 'unexplainable' things.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by mmsen: 8:19pm On May 08, 2015
Supernatural events are just things that people cannot currently explain.

When people begin claiming that spirits are the reason for events taking place they have essentially said that they do not know. It is the same as people claiming that god is the cause of an event.

Instead of discovery they latch onto the laziest answer that they can think of. Sadly, Nigerian society makes room for such stupidity.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by freecocoa(f): 8:20pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Hehe, i guess i'll sit on the fence with you on this case jare. Until i can completely understand or explain these 'unexplainable' things.
Cool.wink

1 Like

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:24pm On May 08, 2015
johnydon22:

spirits? ... what do you mean by spirit in this regard?
We were made to believe while growing up that as humans, we comprise a Body, Spirit and a Soul. So, do you agree that we are made up of these things?
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:27pm On May 08, 2015
mmsen:
Supernatural events are just things that people cannot currently explain.

When people begin claiming that spirits are the reason for events taking place they have essentially said that they do not know. It is the same as people claiming that god is the cause of an event.

Instead of discovery they latch onto the laziest answer that they can think of. Sadly, Nigerian society makes room for such stupidity.
Hmmm, nice view.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 8:28pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:
Just for the record, i am an Agnostic Christian.
I would like the Atheist in here to throw more light on their idea about the spiritual. We've heard and seen charms, and jazz, and real fetish things committed by humans with different means. I've personally seen raw magic in display, although some magics can be explained, but some can be so deep and fetish that one would think it has to do with the spiritual. We've heard of chinese voodoos, and some other weird things in some cultures around the world.
My question once again is, how do the Atheist explain the spiritual?
I'm not used to posting a topic here on nairaland, but trust me, i've spent almost everyday since i joined Nairaland, just reading while others argue and comment about stuffs.
Just to be clear, i'm not here to engage in an argument with anyone, i just need an explanation. I will only post on this thread if i have a question to ask from any comment here, or when i notice any digression from my question.
Thanks.
cc: Johnydon22
Frank317
Davien
Plaetton.
Other Atheist and Agnostic can contribute plz.

It is mostly ignorance and our inability to know that people use a lot of tricks to beguile one another.

Back in 2009 the Indian government was so tired of it's people and their superstitious belief that they openly came out and banned all the so called gurus that claimed they had supernatural powers, the government knew that a superstitious society can never move forward and advance. Science the only mechanism that has advanced the human race is based solely on the principle of naturalism. So far nothing can advance the human race like science, and nothing will. The Indian government then began to use various mediums to create awareness and expose the tricks used by the so called super natural gurus to see to it that they loosen their strong grip on the people . Here is one of such videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFb0r9_64I

The spiritual is just people making things up and promoting ignorance. No one has ever used the spiritual to explain anything clearly.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by johnydon22(m): 8:31pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

We were made to believe while growing up that as humans, we comprise a Body, Spirit and a Soul. So, do you agree that we are made up of these things?

And as we always hear, this spirits makes you alive...

Now to understand this lets ask this question..

[size=20] Why is it that something done to you physically like shooting you kills you, why dont the spirit keep you alive since its responsible for you being alive?

other Animals are conscious beings too, do they have this spirit too or not?[/size]
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:32pm On May 08, 2015
menesheh:

The simple answer is they don't exist. It is human imaginations that survived the test of times.

Okay, my other two questions.
Do humans have spirits? If yes, are humans in anyway conscious about these spirit beings?
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 08, 2015
Op,first off,I could tell you believe or fear the spiritual,reason why? Because you created this thread asking such a question and secondly,you being an agnostic christian lol.

The real ritual in making spiritual events look real is the believe you have in it,right in your mind,if you could maintain full control of your mind and cease to believe in that crap automatically,it would loose its significant to you,you believe is like the fuel or gasoline that powers the impotence of spirituality.
Generally Atheists such as myself don't believe in the spiritual but I do because,spirituality is wrongly conceived by the believers,now this is the type of spirituality I'm talking about....Close your eyes firmly,you would envision something like the eyes of a cat,guess what? That feeling that made you recognize that which you saw when your eyes was close is the spiritual you,furthermore,in the real sense,spirituality is the conscious you in your unconscious state or when you have your eyes close,there is no such thing as super natural power to spirituality but ability to note what happen to you when you was unconscious or eyes closed for example dream,dream plays out when your mind consciousness is very much active but your body is lying unconsciously in bed,that's example of the spiritual you because your physical is in bed while the conscious mind actively wandering around but its funny how believers today conceived spirituality to be God affiliated and things diabolical,like I said earlier,your believe is what fuels the potency of whatever spirit because reality and spirits repel and can't meet in the real world,with that said,spirituality is you without your body but active mind and the minute you die,everything shuts down,both the physical body,your mind and every vital signs your body produces. No god is responsible,it simply biology and psychology playing out.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 8:35pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Okay, my other two questions.
Do humans have spirits? If yes, are humans in anyway conscious about these spirit beings?

What is this spirit?
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:38pm On May 08, 2015
johnydon22:

And as we always hear, this spirits makes you alive...

Now to understand this lets ask this question..

[size=20] Why is it that something done to you physically like shooting you kills you, why dont the spirit keep you alive since its responsible for you being alive?

other Animals are conscious beings too, do they have this spirit too or not?[/size]
Hmmm, you are leaving me with more questions, lolz. I need answers. Well, most people think as humans we have a higher intelligence compared to that of animals. People think the presence of a spirit being in humans is what makes us more special and higher in intelligence than other animals. And that we have souls and spirits that live on even after our physical death. So, i get confused, i dont know what to believe.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:39pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:

What is this spirit?
Like the Body, Spirit and Soul we are told that we are made up of, as humans.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 8:42pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Like the Body, Spirit and Soul we are told that we are made up of, as humans.

The body is made up of things we know, cells, tissues, organs, systems and so on. What is the spirit made up of?
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:45pm On May 08, 2015
aaronson:
Op,first off,I could tell you believe or fear the spiritual,reason why? Because you created this thread asking such a question and secondly,you being an agnostic christian lol.

The real ritual in making spiritual events look real is the believe you have in it,right in your mind,if you could maintain full control of your mind and cease to believe in that crap automatically,it would loose its significant to you,you believe is like the fuel or gasoline that powers the impotence of spirituality.
Generally Atheists such as myself don't believe in the spiritual but I do because,spirituality is wrongly conceived by the believers,now this is the type of spirituality I'm talking about....Close your eyes firmly,you would envision something like the eyes of a cat,guess what? That feeling that made you recognize that which you saw when your eyes was close is the spiritual you,furthermore,in the real sense,spirituality is the conscious you in your unconscious state or when you have your eyes close,there is no such thing as super natural power to spirituality but ability to note what happen to you when you was unconscious or eyes closed for example dream,dream plays out when your mind consciousness is very much active but your body is lying unconsciously in bed,that's example of the spiritual you because your physical is in bed while the conscious mind actively wandering around but its funny how believers today conceived spirituality to be God affiliated and things diabolical,like I said earlier,your believe is what fuels the potency of whatever spirit because reality and spirits repel and can't meet in the real world,with that said,spirituality is you without your body but active mind and the minute you die,everything shuts down,both the physical body,your mind and every vital signs your body produces. No god is responsible,it simply biology and psychology playing out.
Hmmm, you are right about me though and my fears of the 'spiritual'. Your views about it is a bit deep. I'll take note of it.
Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:46pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:

The body is made up of things we know, cells, tissues, organs, systems and so on. What is the spirit made up of?
lolz, i would'nt know. That's why i'm asking.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by johnydon22(m): 8:53pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Hmmm, you are leaving me with more questions, lolz. I need answers. Well, most people think as humans we have a higher intelligence compared to that of animals. People think the presence of a spirit being in humans is what makes us more special and higher in intelligence than other animals. And that we have souls and spirits that live on even after our physical death. So, i get confused, i dont know what to believe.

Higher intelligence is just as a result of higher evolved sophisticated brains of homo sapiens. Intelligence as we know is as a result of the brain.
Other Animals have their own unique intelligence, termites had an organized civilization and built cities (ant hills) long before humans did, how did such little ants become civilized before the almighty homo sapiens?

Take a good look at a dog, what differences do you see? You have eyes, same with it, you have nose, mouth, tongue, teeth, limbs. same with it. . arrangement based on adaptive technics is just the only difference.

You are alive, so is the tiny ant you crush everyday, what made you think your consciousness is entirely different?
Same metabolism that keeps an ant alive keeps you an alive not some spirit mumbo jumbo.

Just the heightened sense of conscious reality in homo sapiens due to a higher intellect bore out these explanations. I doubt that birds and spiders go about thinking their consciousness is as a result of spirit while others are not.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 8:57pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:

It is mostly ignorance and our inability to know that people use a lot of tricks to beguile one another.

Back in 2009 the Indian government was so tired of it's people and their superstitious belief that they openly came out and banned all the so called gurus that claimed they had supernatural powers, the government knew that a superstitious society can never move forward and advance. Science the only mechanism that has advanced the human race is based solely on the principle of naturalism. So far nothing can advance the human race like science, and nothing will. The Indian government then began to use various mediums to create awareness and expose the tricks used by the so called super natural gurus to see to it that they loosen their strong grip on the people . Here is one of such videos.

The spiritual is just people making things up and promoting ignorance. No one has ever used the spiritual to explain anything clearly.
Hmmm, thanks for this video. It really shows the trick people use. Trust me, at first i believed it was something real. Especially the part were the girl just laid still after all the magic. I did'nt know she and her parents were all part of the team.
Thanks again for the video.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 9:03pm On May 08, 2015
johnydon22:

Higher intelligence is just as a result of higher evolved sophisticated brains of homo sapiens. Intelligence as we know is as a result of the brain.
Other Animals have their own unique intelligence, termites had an organized civilization and built cities (ant hills) long before humans did, how did such little ants become civilized before the almighty homo sapiens?

Take a good look at a dog, what differences do you see? You have eyes, same with it, you have nose, mouth, tongue, teeth, limbs. same with it. . arrangement based on adaptive technics is just the only difference.

You are alive, so is the tiny ant you crush everyday, what made you think your consciousness is entirely different?
Same metabolism that keeps an ant alive keeps you an alive not some spirit mumbo jumbo.

Just the heightened sense of conscious reality in homo sapiens due to a higher intellect bore out these explanations. I doubt that birds and spiders go about thinking their consciousness is as a result of spirit while others are not.
Hmm, well said.
Well, from your line of thought. Is it safe for me to say you (Atheist) dont believe in a life after death? Does it mean, when we die, we'll just be like other living things like Maize, goats, ants just die away, and nothing more after death?
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by plaetton: 9:15pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:

Let me add that no one has ever used the so-called spiritual to contribute anything useful to humanity.
It's all wishy washy buffet of lies and tricks for appetites of the ignorant.

My grandmother, for example, still sees Skype as spiritual witchcraft.
How would I ever explain to her how Skype works?
It's the same thing with many yet-to-be-undetstood application of purely natural laws that still hold usvin awe.

Every single phenomena has a purely scientific explanation.

5 Likes

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by johnydon22(m): 9:26pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Hmm, well said.
Well, from your line of thought. Is it safe for me to say you (Atheist) dont believe in a life after death? Does it mean, when we die, we'll just be like other living things like Maize, goats, ants just die away, and nothing more after death?

You say LIFE after DEATH. . . Just that name alone contradicts everything. .Death means Absence of life, How can you now say their is life in absence of life? is that not a selfish wishful thinking conjured by a selfish mind who probably do not want to imagine that death means "That is it nothing more"

This was probably why the Egyptians came up with this notion of "afterlife", reward and punishment (tribunal of Osiris) Its just a concept derived by religion.

I suppose some people find comfort in the whole notion of "passing over" instead of simply "Dying".

It is not difficult to understand why we create stories for ourselves, given that we are probably/ almost certainly the only species on the planet who know from a very young age that we are going to die someday.

Other animals just live in the moment.

I doubt that the dogs and birds out there are freighting about afterlife or performing rituals to secure their place in heaven.

But our 'knowledge' of the inevitable end of our being is something of a burden to us.

So maybe we should just stop dwelling of such fancies of afterlife and just get on with what we have now and where we are now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 9:30pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Hmmm, thanks for this video. It really shows the trick people use. Trust me, at first i believed it was something real. Especially the part were the girl just laid still after all the magic. I did'nt know she and her parents were all part of the team.
Thanks again for the video.

Here is another Video from James Randi where he exposes the tricks used by Psychic Surgeons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjF1sUZEy2U

When all these claims are scrutinized they all turn out to be fake. All supernatural claims are fake, that is why no God can heal an amputee and restore their amputated limbs back. We get to hear about God healing people of their cancer(mostly after they have under gone painful cancer treatments) or other diseases, but we never get to hear about God healing any amputee. All of these claims involve tricks most people are not aware of, some are just baseless claims that nobody has ever bothered to check out their veracity. I'll post more videos for you to watch.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 10:01pm On May 08, 2015
plaetton:

Let me add that no one has ever used the so-called spiritual to contribute anything useful to humanity.
It's all wishy washy buffet of lies and tricks for appetites of the ignorant.

My grandmother, for example, still sees Skype as spiritual witchcraft.
How would I ever explain to her how Skype works?
It's the same thing with many yet-to-be-undetstood application of purely natural laws that still hold usvin awe.

Every single phenomena has a purely scientific explanation.
Nice one Plaetton. Thanks for showing up.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 10:08pm On May 08, 2015
johnydon22:

You say LIFE after DEATH. . . Just that name alone contradicts everything. .Death means Absence of life, How can you now say their is life in absence of life? is that not a selfish wishful thinking conjured by a selfish mind who probably do not want to imagine that death means "That is it nothing more"

This was probably why the Egyptians came up with this notion of "afterlife", reward and punishment (tribunal of Osiris) Its just a concept derived by religion.

I suppose some people find comfort in the whole notion of "passing over" instead of simply "Dying".

It is not difficult to understand why we create stories for ourselves, given that we are probably/ almost certainly the only species on the planet who know from a very young age that we are going to die someday.

Other animals just live in the moment.

I doubt that the dogs and birds out there are freighting about afterlife or performing rituals to secure their place in heaven.

But our 'knowledge' of the inevitable end of our being is something of a burden to us.

So maybe we should just stop dwelling of such fancies of afterlife and just get on with what we have now and where we are now.
Wow! This is just wow!
It's a lot to take in. Good one there Johny.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 10:11pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:

Here is another Video from James Randi where he exposes the tricks used by Psychic Surgeons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjF1sUZEy2U

When all these claims are scrutinized they all turn out to be fake. All supernatural claims are fake, that is why no God can heal an amputee and restore their amputated limbs back. We get to hear about God healing people of their cancer(mostly after they have under gone painful cancer treatments) or other diseases, but we never get to hear about God healing any amputee. All of these claims involve tricks most people are not aware of, some are just baseless claims that nobody has ever bothered to check out their veracity. I'll post more videos for you to watch.
Thanks Dalaman, i'll watch them. Just share as much as you can.
Jeez! I almost puked while watching this. Lolz. Nice trick.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 10:33pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Thanks Dalaman, i'll watch them. Just share as much as you can.
Jeez! I almost puked while watching this. Lolz. Nice trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIGxPk0Xqps

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 10:36pm On May 08, 2015
Another interesting one for you Sunnystooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Sv6C7I0_E
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by onetrack(m): 11:03pm On May 08, 2015
Without reading all the other comments here so far, let me just say that I have zero spirituality and zero faith. I've always been like that, even though I went to church as a child, which is why I don't call myself an apostate--I never really believed. When I was forced to pray I felt like I was just talking to myself.

Evidence (testable and replicable) is the only thing that works for me, and spirituality has none of that. Mystical things, in my view, are just nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 11:09pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:
Another interesting one for you Sunnystooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Sv6C7I0_E
Hmmm, nice one from the Guru Busters.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 11:19pm On May 08, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Hmmm, nice one from the Guru Busters.

Most of the things we consider to be supernatural aren't. Just ticks.
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Sunnystooth(m): 11:26pm On May 08, 2015
dalaman:

Most of the things we consider to be supernatural aren't. Just ticks.
Yea, i agree with you. Those videos showed a lot.
What about christian Pastors and their miracles, do you think they are real or just tricks too?
Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by dalaman: 12:16am On May 09, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Yea, i agree with you. Those videos showed a lot.
What about christian Pastors and their miracles, do you think they are real or just tricks too?

They are all the same. Here is a video of James Randi exposing a former famous American preacher called Peter Popoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BQKu0YP8Y

Watch Marjoe's documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCmtc8YtCc&list=PLBEXJugaZSbkNWrbfGjAM0ifgpUrRNUtT

1 Like

Re: Atheism Does'nt Explain The Spiritual, Why? by Nobody: 7:15am On May 09, 2015
freecocoa:
Okay,whatever rocks your boat, I stopped going for a long time, I'm purely Agnostic now and I'd like it to remain that way.
And how do you deflect the constant prodding from your *mother/partner to attend church? I know it must be doubly hard for a babe.

*most fathers will let you be, in my experience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Don't Beat Your Wife - Pastor Chris / Only Genuine Love Can Change The World – T.B. Joshua / Are There Any Diff Btw Muslims (Alfa) And Herbalists! Well, Don't Think So

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.