Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Remember The Nigeria Vs India Match That Ended 99-1??? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remember The Nigeria Vs India Match That Ended 99-1??? (2050 Views)

Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 / Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Denmark 2 - 0 (Full Time) / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Remember The Nigeria Vs India Match That Ended 99-1??? by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 09, 2015
Virtually everybody born before the invention of the
internet must have heard the tale of a nonexistent football
match between Nigeria and India that obviously took place
in a parallel universe and somehow we got to hear the
gory stories of that match.
Though there are many variations of the story, every
prevaricator seems to agree on a couple of facts about
this fictional football match. Each storyteller agrees that;
1. This match ended with India scoring 99 goals and
Nigeria scoring just one goal.
2. Nigerians where unable to kick the ball because the
football kept turning to a lion (or something scary) to
prevent them from playing the soccer ball.
3. The Indians later agreed that if Nigeria could score a
goal, they would concede defeat
4. Samuel Okwaraji scored the winning goal and lost his
life in the process.
5. FIFA banned India from soccer because they used black
magic in that very game
With the help of common sense (not that it was absent
back then), quick access to information and the internet,
every right thinking Nigerian has come to realize that such
a story should be filled under “Blatant Lies”.
Re: Remember The Nigeria Vs India Match That Ended 99-1??? by LarrySun(m): 9:24pm On May 09, 2015
The story, although false, still made us proud of our national football team - the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

We considered Samuel Okwaraji a demigod. But the version I heard was that it was Rasheed Yekini who kicked the rock and the Indian keeper ran for his dear life as he saw the big rock and Yekini's boot flying towards him.

Nollywood has got a movie idea to make manifest. Lol!

God bless Nigeria(ns).
Re: Remember The Nigeria Vs India Match That Ended 99-1??? by Ollyfad(f): 3:58pm On May 10, 2015
please ooo nobody should desecrate the memory i have of okparaji oooo. lie or not okparaji sha diegrin grin.
but seriously whoever started dat story is a very goof story teller ooo. my primary school went on an excursion to the national stadium and we were shown a slab erected in his honour but they xd dats his grave(i dont tink m gonna believe dey buried him in a stadium) anyways....we all looked at the thing like it was some kind of shrine wia a god resides.grin

this doesnt stop me from telling my kids too how india finished nigeria oo and d heroic goal of okparaji cool let dem find out how ridiculous it is demselves cool.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Futa Radio 93.1fm Akure / Photos: Top Football Stars And Their Exotic Cars / Who Scored The Best Goal In Brazil 2014 Fifa World Cup..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.