Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! (5269 Views)

Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 3:12am On May 10, 2015
Lets partake!
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by sexynabila(f): 3:23am On May 10, 2015
i was here

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 4:54am On May 10, 2015
nigerian names are so boring as more civilization set it cos we use sentence to name children nowadays... Like godgavemeagift and they call the child gift.. Like oluwasemilore meaning in enlish.. God has done me good and they call the baby semilore... So boring
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 5:26am On May 10, 2015
Tycyborg:
nigerian names are so boring as more civilization set it cos we use sentence to name children nowadays... Like godgavemeagift and they call the child gift.. Like oluwasemilore meaning in enlish.. God has done me good and they call the baby semilore... So boring

No ther r not...youre too clsr tp naija culture for u too see the real beauty of them....
So silly and wrong of you...but then new style names are cool too.
Come up woth new names if you r bored of naija names.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 5:28am On May 10, 2015
fightforchange1:

No ther r not...youre too close to naija culture for u too see the real beauty of them....
So silly and wrong of you...but then new style names are cool too.
Come up woth new names if you r bored of naija names.
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 7:18am On May 10, 2015
@fightforchange... Of course i can come up with some nice name... And i know some nice name whenever i hear one... Besides nigeria are all too into religion like they are the one who crucify jesus and some almost call their son blood of jesus... And we are the one saying oyinbo naming a son stone doesnt make any sense so whats the different between someone that called his son stone compare to someone that called his son oluwamitomisin meaning my God is enough for me to worship lol what a retard name...lol i guess you can call your son or child one of those names just because you are the one who wrote the bible or the one who crucify jesus

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 7:22am On May 10, 2015
What about name like omotayo, akinfemi, olawale and others instead of oluwalofunmise then they call the person funmise just to minimize what a junk name
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Fulaman198(m): 8:25am On May 10, 2015
Tycyborg:
What about name like omotayo, akinfemi, olawale and others instead of oluwalofunmise then they call the person funmise just to minimize what a junk name

Why do you despise your Yoruba culture so much? Are you suffering from a vast inferiority complex?

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 1:33pm On May 10, 2015
Tycyborg:
I beg you to change the way you see things. I was wish i was yoruba when i get cash imma change my legal name to yoruba name.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 1:35pm On May 10, 2015
Tycyborg:
@fightforchange... Of course i can come up with some nice name... And i know some nice name whenever i hear one... Besides nigeria are all too into religion like they are the one who crucify jesus and some almost call their son blood of jesus... And we are the one saying oyinbo naming a son stone doesnt make any sense so whats the different between someone that called his son stone compare to someone that called his son oluwamitomisin meaning my God is enough for me to worship lol what a retard name...lol i guess you can call your son or child one of those names just because you are the one who wrote the bible or the one who crucify jesus

People that guve their children names like stine simply very creative i actually think stines a cool name and yes encourage you to reinvent yourself...to feel revitalized...if ur bored withbur culture.
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 1:47pm On May 10, 2015
fightforchange1:

People that guve their children names like stine simply very creative i actually think stines a cool name and yes encourage you to reinvent yourself...to feel revitalized...if ur bored withbur culture.
Celebrate yourself i should say. I really think culture is celebration

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 2:03pm On May 10, 2015
I like names like femi and morenike.
Femi-princess.
Morenike- pampered one.
Folemi- respect and honor me.
Iyalode-great queen.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 2:28pm On May 10, 2015
Titilayo- eternal happiness.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 10, 2015
fightforchange1:
Titilayo- eternal happiness.

Igbo names for girls:
Chioma - good God
Chiamaka - awesome God
Oluchi - God's work
Adaugo - precious daughter
Adamma - beautiful daughter
Ogechi - God's time
Nkeiruka - The future is bright
Uchenna - thought of the father
Chinyere - God gave
Chinwedu - Life belongs to God
Akufor - Living in excess wealth
Chinyeaka - God should help
Ndidiamaka - Patience is a nice virtue
Ugomma - Beautiful creature
Obianuju - Came as expected
Akudo - Wealth that brings peace
Onyinye - Gift
Ijeoma - Nice adventure
Ifunanya - Love
Ukamaka - Religion is good
Ginikanwa - Is anything greater than child?
Oluebube - Miracle
Nchedochi - God's protection
Ifeyinwa - There is nothing like child
Ifeoma - Good thing

op I have tried, Igbos has a lot of beautiful names for females, so you can choose any name from the names above.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 6:31pm On May 10, 2015
Oluwaseun we thank god
Morenike eternal happiness
Adedayo the crown becomes joy
Ojedrian the cult if ancestors has become hereditary.
Folemi respect and honor
Wuraola gold
Oyinkansola honey is mixed with wealth
Emi human spirit
Omotayo child a joy

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by scholes0(m): 7:05pm On May 10, 2015
Fulaman198:

Why do you despise your Yoruba culture so much? Are you suffering from a vast inferiority complex?

he is not despising Yoruba culture, but rather he is loving it.
What he is saying is that some yoruba these days name their children very religiously inclined names like "Jesufunmise", "Oluwaloseyi" "Oluwabukuni" which are just christian influenced names, instead of our old traditional names like Akinwunmi, Oladele, Adesola, Olasupo, Olasunkanmi .... etc The reason why I think it's not so bad though is that, no matter what is influencing the naming of a Yoruba child, the name will still 90% of the time be in the Yoruba language, not names like Douglas, Calistus, Sylvanus Charles and what have you.
catche?

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Fulaman198(m): 7:17pm On May 10, 2015
scholes0:

he is not despising Yoruba culture, but rather he is loving it.
What he is saying is that some yoruba these days name their children very religiously inclined names like "Jesufunmise", "Oluwaloseyi" "Oluwabukuni" which are just christian influenced names, instead of our old traditional names like Akinwunmi, Oladele, Adesola, Olasupo, Olasunkanmi .... etc The reason why I think it's not so bad though is that, no matter what is influencing the aming of a Yoruba child, the name will still 90% of the time be in the Yoruba language, not names like Douglas, Calistus, Sylvanus Charles and what have you.
catche?

Got it, understood

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by macof(m): 7:51pm On May 11, 2015
fightforchange1:
I like names like femi and morenike.
Femi-princess.
Morenike- pampered one.
Folemi- respect and honor me.
Iyalode-great queen.

lemme help with a little better accuracy. Femi is "beloved" or better "love me"
It's short for names like Obafemi - beloved of the King / the King loves me

Iyalode - mother at the helm of affairs

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 8:27pm On May 11, 2015
macof:

Thanks for the correction

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 9:45pm On May 11, 2015
macof:

Oh ok...
Thanks i guess the website that i checked was misleading.
Thanks guy.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 1:27am On May 12, 2015
Yetunde mother reincarnates to daughters or returns

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by EzeEfuna(m): 4:23am On May 12, 2015
Igbo names

Obiefuna - May my lineage never die
Anyaegbuna - May jealously not kill me.
Azike - The past is my strength
Onyemaechi - Who knows tomorrow?
Ndidikamma - Patience is better
Odinakachukwu - It's in the hands of God
Ezennia - King of this Life
Omekaenyi - One who is greater than an elephant
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 8:28pm On May 12, 2015
Kayin celebrated child
Yemi princess
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 8:29pm On May 12, 2015
Adeyemi the crown suits me.
Akindele brave one returns home.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 8:34pm On May 12, 2015
Durojaiye enjoy life
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 8:36pm On May 12, 2015
Busayo celebrated

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 13, 2015
Yoruba Names
Temitayo - my own source of Joy.
Olatunde - wealth has come again.
Omowunmi - I am thirsting for a child
Mobolaji - i woke up and met wealth
Abimbola - this child was born into wealth
Mabawonku - dont follow them and die again
Kashimawo - let's see (if the child dies or survives)
Olufunmilayo - God has given me Joy
Olufemi - God loves me or I am loved by God.

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 2:51am On May 16, 2015
Mojisola woke to wealth...
Woot!
Akarachi divine destiny
Ngozi divine destiny
Ogo honor

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 12:31am On May 20, 2015
Fulaman198:

i do not despise the yoruba culture and besides being a yoruba doesnt mean i say yes to every wrongs in the culture and besides there is nothing like interiority man its what they called facing the truth and am not just talking about yorubas am talking about nigerians in general

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 12:42am On May 20, 2015
fightforchange1:

why is everyone saying am bored? Am not bored with any culture i am just writing the truth and truth is always a bitter soup to take... For example the if i say too much consumption of rice can give chronic pile doesnt mean am fedup of rice... It simply means am telling the side effect of rice.. And FYI we have our culture name as a yoruba not anything relating to any religion so you are wrong about calling most nowadays names culture names

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 12:44am On May 20, 2015
fightforchange1:
Mojisola woke to wealth...
Woot!
Akarachi divine destiny
Ngozi divine destiny
Ogo honor

thank you... These are the names we call nigerian names and culture names....

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Tycyborg(m): 12:47am On May 20, 2015
fightforchange1:

I beg you to change the way you see things. I was wish i was yoruba when i get cash imma change my legal name to yoruba name.

am not saying not to change your name but change to a nice one not a beefy name like a sentence used in churches or mosque but something more cultural and nigerian

Nigerians Are Very Rude / Yorubas And Slave Trade / Oladunwo Masquerade Of Okemesi Ekiti - Ekiti State Of Nigeria