Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,366 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language (29763 Views)

Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Demayour: 10:12am On May 13, 2015
Wumz:
The spread of the Yoruba language abroad is the reason it's important for us to strengthen the language at home in Nigeria. This extension of Yoruba to other parts of the world also offers two challenges or as we say in business, an opportunity. The first opportunity that we have is to teach our children in Nigeria the Yoruba language. The second opportunity that the extension of our language provides is the chance to bring Yoruba to this generation and time.
http://jiriaworld.com/2015/05/02/keep-calm-and-learn-yoruba/
That is not even the main reason. If you want to know how our education system is deficient, study the relevance of language of instruction in developed countries. We can not develop intellectually in practical terms if we neglect our mother tongue or language of our immediate environment. The basic reason why South-korea developed faster was that their main language is the medium of instruction in their educational settings.When students understands language that is being spoken in their homes,schools and their communities,how will they not understand what the teacher is telling them. We should be praising our students for doing all they could just to cope with a language that does not belong to them.Every langauge in Nigeria should be made compulsoryas the language of instruction at least for studenta in primary school level. We can learn our lesson from countries like japan,south-Korea, and even Tanzania. Or else every language in Nigeria will go into extinction without the country even developing at all. You can also check out the literacy level in Nigeria compare to those countrues that uses mother tongue to teach their students.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by scholes0(m): 10:46am On May 13, 2015
Demayour:

. Or else every language in Nigeria will go into extinction without the country even developing at all. You can also check out the literacy level in Nigeria compare to those countrues that uses mother tongue to teach their students.

Very true. literacy levels can be rapidly brought up, by introducing local languages as medium of primary instruction in schools. Nursery, Primary and JSS levels.
SSS and University education can be done in English

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by wirelessmaster: 2:25pm On May 13, 2015
It is very useful to those countries planning to learn yoruba. It is in their best interest. Some versions of yoruba have been spoken in some non africa countries as well. One thing about Yoruba language is that irrespective of version being spoken, to a large extent, you can discern what they are saying.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by scholes0(m): 2:28pm On May 13, 2015
wirelessmaster:
It is very useful to those countries planning to learn yoruba. It is in their best interest. Some versions of yoruba have been spoken in some non africa countries as well. One thing about Yoruba language is that irrespective of version being spoken, to a large extent, you can discern what they are saying.

You are right
Yoruba dialectal differences are very weak.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Ewuro4: 12:58am On May 14, 2015
scholes0:

Where do you stay?

Canada noni

I intend to enrol my kids in public schools when next we visit home.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by zo3184: 1:58am On May 15, 2015
San Salvador, Brazil you have to pass Yoruba to get a high school certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by zo3184: 3:00am On May 15, 2015
The great Yoruba nation of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by leederrty1997: 11:15pm On May 23, 2015
We have moved on to greater heights! Really happy.
For more about Nigerian culture- Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba, lifestyle in the 60s, places and legends in Nigeria, visit
www.oldnaija.
and thank me later.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 9:13pm On May 24, 2015
Awoofawo:

Yoruba people affinity for their language is next to none in the whole of africa.
Everywhere the Yoruba goes they alway take their language with them and blend in with the surrounding culture, never made unnecessary noise that may threat their hosts.

I am praying and sincere hoping that a day will come, when science, mathematics, engineering and so on will be taught in our local languages. On that day, is when Nigeria will real be a great nation...

Nigeria can never allow yoruba nation to grow
Nigeria must die for the various nations within it to strive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 9:15pm On May 24, 2015
scholes0:

Yoruba language dying in Nigeria?
is this a joke or what? Do you know how many movies come out in the Yoruba language each month, or how many Afro-pop music by Nigerian acts is released in Yoruba language per month, or how many kids are born each year, who speak Yoruba as their sole home language?
brother, pls... don't say that again. Yoruba will be one of the last African languages standing, no matter how dire things become.

All those films that have 30% english?
Songs 30% englisch and 20% pidgin
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Awoofawo(m): 9:15pm On May 24, 2015
That's the problem
macof:

Nigeria can never allow yoruba nation to grow Nigeria must die for the various nations within it to strive
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 9:16pm On May 24, 2015
Maybe this would encourage yorubas to fight for our heritage

Promote our identity

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 9:18pm On May 24, 2015
Awoofawo:
That's the problem

I don't see it as a problem. ..its we Yorubas who are our problem

We are not yet serious

We are the most power group in Nigeria, if we put our resources into our freedom we would get it quickly with help from the entire world powers in fact

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Awoofawo(m): 9:25pm On May 24, 2015
macof:

I don't see it as a problem. ..its we Yorubas who are our problem

We are not yet serious

We are the most power group in Nigeria, if we put our resources into our freedom we would get it quickly with help from the entire world powers in fact

If only we can secede peacefully.....
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 24, 2015
@ OP

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2401933_rob1171_jpeg945e81175b1699a46486e2803fe85503
This image is epic! Can I use it as my profile image, please?
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 05, 2015
Fantastic thread!!! Was busy with exams so missed it.

I need to start worshipping Ifa.

Can someone please direct me to a good book or an online website.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Eyop: 2:29pm On Jun 05, 2015
datalossvictim1:

undecided undecided angry angry
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 05, 2015
Eyop:

undecided undecided angry angry

Lol hey my south-south bae, wassap?
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Eyop: 2:46pm On Jun 05, 2015
datalossvictim1:

Lol hey my south-south bae, wassap?

My South-east babe wey wan worship ifa angry angry
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 05, 2015
Eyop:

My South-east babe wey wan worship ifa angry angry

Lol is it bad? Anyways listen to this beautiful sing off. The African Americans on the other side should be ashamed of themselves lol

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/video.php?v=wshh7Uhy850lz2h039mP
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Eyop: 3:13pm On Jun 05, 2015
datalossvictim1:

Lol is it bad? Anyways listen to this beautiful sing off. The African Americans on the other side should be ashamed of themselves lol

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/video.php?v=wshh7Uhy850lz2h039mP

Yes,Worship God & not Ifa angry. Hmmmm...@ the Video smiley
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 05, 2015
Eyop:

Ifa is a God. Be specific. Which of them? grin

Watch it or YouTube 'lion king sing off' if you think it's a spam video.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Eyop: 3:39pm On Jun 05, 2015
datalossvictim1:

Ifa is a God. Be specific. Which of them? grin

Watch it or YouTube 'lion king sing off' if you think it's a spam video.

You need not worship something "that is a God" but worship God angry I watched the video,i copied the link and visited it. They sound like South-Africans
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Stillfire: 3:55pm On Jun 05, 2015
Good job. More grease to the Yoruba elbows. Yorubas take their culture wherever they go, and that is why the language will continue to spread. cool

macof:

All those films that have 30% english?
Songs 30% englisch and 20% pidgin

It helps for people like us. grin tongue
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 05, 2015
Eyop:

You need not worship something "that is a God" but worship God angry I watched the video,i copied the link and visited it. They sound like South-Africans

Okay, I'm still fascinated by Ifa.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Eyop: 4:12pm On Jun 05, 2015
datalossvictim1:

Okay, I'm still fascinated by Ifa.

Hmmm....This former french now Russian babe just don't want to give up. That your D.P don chop one like grin even as you no wan drop this Ifa stuff cry
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 05, 2015
Eyop:

Hmmm....This former french now Russian babe just don't want to give up. That your D.P don chop one like grin even as you no wan drop this Ifa stuff cry

Lol I'm not that advanced in pidgin, talk am for English. Wetin be chop one?

I need to learn traditional religions.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 10:04pm On Jun 05, 2015
Eyop:

Ifa is the very knowledge of the creator

Africans give the world this knowledge. ..we don't need imported gods from Europe and the middle-east
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 10:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
datalossvictim1:

try books by Wande Abimbola and Popoola Solagberu
and try meeting a Babalawo in person

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 05, 2015
macof:

try books by Wande Abimbola and Popoola Solagberu
and try meeting a Babalawo in person

Thanks I will.

Lol I'll shiiit myself embarassed
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by macof(m): 12:04am On Jun 06, 2015
datalossvictim1:

Thanks I will.

Lol I'll shiiit myself embarassed
shiit yourself over what?
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 1:39am On Jun 06, 2015
macof:

shiit yourself over what?

Seeing a babalawo embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zamfara Traditional Ruler Flogs Men In Public For Stealing. Photos / Colorful Pictures Of Onitsha Ofala Festival As American Missions Visits- PICS / Ovie Richard Ogbon Celebrates 105th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.