Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? (2937 Views)

If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? / Athiest: Intelligent Consciousness Vs Inanimate Existence / Deepsight: Is Consciousness A Divine Attribute Or An Accident Of Evolution? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by salako: 1:46am On Oct 15, 2005
If you think consciousness is immaterial can the conscious exist without the body?

please share your thoughts  and ideas
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by nferyn(m): 1:53am On Oct 15, 2005
Consiousness is material. It is a product of neurological action in the brain. It is something unique to few species. We only know for certain that humans develop consciousness. Maybe chimpanzees and dolphins have it to a certain extent as well, but we're the only certainty.

Unfortunately, once the brain dies, there is no longer any consciousness
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by nferyn(m): 2:19am On Oct 15, 2005
Obviously, I shouldn't have answered this as I do not believe conscienceness is immaterial anyway. I do not believe anything to be immaterial or without material source
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by Seun(m): 2:41pm On Jul 16, 2006
Consciousness - or more accurately, my consciousness - is something I cannot really understand. I mean, if a robot was modelled after a human being, would it also have consciousness? How do we know that plants don't have consciousness of some form too? It's something that science probably doesn't fully understand yet.
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by simmy(m): 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2006
This is a carelessly asked question
What is consciousness?
How do you know you are conscious?
Let me explain further/, a dreaming man might be fully convinced he is conscious in his dreams but later awakens into reality.
Are we conscious?
Is my dog conscious?
What is reality?
come to think of it, what isnt reality?, or what is it that reality is not?
Whatever!
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by tpia1: 1:03am On Jan 08, 2011
can the conscious exist without the body?

interesting question.
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2011
salako:

If you think consciousness is immaterial can the conscious exist without the body?

please share your thoughts  and ideas
Yes, it can and it does. The material is just the pale reflection of the immaterial, the consciousness. Consciousness is actually the only thing that is real. The material world, on the other hand, is only an illusion. It is more apt to say that the body/material cannot exist without the consciousness/immaterial.
Re: Is Consciousness Material or Immaterial? by Amujale(m): 1:46am On Oct 08, 2011
@op Consciousness is Immaterial - Not formed of matter

simmy:

This is a carelessly asked question
What is consciousness?
How do you know you are conscious?
Let me explain further/,  a dreaming man might be fully convinced he is conscious in his dreams but later awakens into reality.
Are we conscious?
Is my dog conscious?
What is reality?
come to think of it, what isnt reality?, or what is it that reality is not?
Whatever!

Consciousness is that which determines ones awareness of self!

Are we conscious? I'm afraid we would all have to be telepathic to be able to even attempt to answer that in its true context. The question is, Are YOU conscious?

What is reality?
Reality is the platform in which consciousness operates; that is to say, it is ones consciousness that determines if anything/anyplace is indeed REAL. Thats why your example of the dreaming man is not divorced form consciousness as is the notion of sub-consciousness, semi-consciousness e.t.c

(1) (Reply)

Will The Pope Go To Heaven / Spiritual Dwarf Vs Spiritual Giant / Score God Here In % WRT Prayers Answered.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.