Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,214 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

The Lunacy Of The English Language - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Lunacy Of The English Language (16685 Views)

Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / List Of New Words Added To The English Dictionary In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by ctosin12: 3:50pm On May 15, 2015
natureblack:
Peruse at your leisure,English lovers.

* How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend ?

* I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

* Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

* The bandage was wound around the wound.

* The farm was used to produce produce.

* The dump was full that it had to refuse more refuse.

* We must polish the Polish furniture.

* I did not object to the object.

* When shot at,the dove dove into the bushes.

* They were too close to the door to close it.

* The seamstress and a sewer fell into a sewer line.

* To help with planting,the farmer taught his sow to sow.

* After a number of injections my jaw got number.

Viewed freely,English language is the accretion and growth of every dielect,race,and range of time,and is both the free compacted composition of all.

in morphological process those word are call "conversion"
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Akinsnaira: 3:56pm On May 15, 2015
The meanings of Stud:

1. A small piece of jewellery
2. A small round piece of metal that is attached to the surface of something
3. One of several small metal or plastic objects that are fixed to the bottom part of Football Boot
4. A small metal object used in the past for fastening a Collar onto a shirt
5. An animal, especially a horse, that is kept for breeding
6. A place where animals, especially horse, are kept for breeding
7. A man who has many sexual partners and who is thought to be sexually attractive

Haba! This is just one word in English having multiple unrelated meanings like this. After studying this Language for sometimes, I have concluded that, English is a language full of junk words that are originated from informal conversation like slang, colloquialisms, etc. bundled together to form one mighty entity of ambiguity. Anybody can come up with his own word/slang, in as much as it is fancied by people and popular, then it becomes incorporated into English Lexicon. But that person is surely not going to be from 'third world' countries like Africa.

And this is a language that if you don't speak it well as if you're a native speaker, you can't get a good job in Nigeria. Germans don't speak English but they're the most innovative people in the world with lowest unemployment rate. The time and effort that an average Nigerian spent to learn English could have been better spent to improve their individual talent and creativity.

3 Likes

Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by natureblack(m): 3:59pm On May 15, 2015
ctosin12:

in morphological process those word are call "conversion"
"Heteronym".
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by shegzyblaq(m): 4:04pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

How English becomes German
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.
As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".
In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.
The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.
In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.
By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".
During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza.
Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.
Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas

Vov viz is inkredebl

2 Likes

Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by lazsnaira(m): 4:09pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.
As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".
In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.
The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.
In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.
By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".
During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza.
Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas

Very interesting!

Zanks vor diz!
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Awoofawo(m): 4:14pm On May 15, 2015
shegzyblaq:

Vov viz is inkredebl
the change will favour some tribes in 9ja up north.....cool grin

1 Like

Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by onlyson16(m): 4:15pm On May 15, 2015
boman2014:
"Let’s face it: English is a crazy language. There is no
egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins were not invented in England or french
fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat.
We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly,
boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither
from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers
write, but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce, and
hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth,
why isn’t the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices?
Is cheese the plural of choose?
If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a
vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian
eat?
In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on
driveways and drive on parkways?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same,
while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How
can the weather be hot as hell one day an cold as hell another?
When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a
form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by
going on.
When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the
lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I
end it?
Now I know why I flunked my English. It’s not my fault;
the silly language doesn’t quite know whether it’s
coming or going." -Richard Lederer.
naaaaaawaooooh what a language seeelf
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Greyworld: 4:18pm On May 15, 2015
Zhozadaemon:

A1/B1....part of the lunacy sire
Now yu av caught yursef a theif......drag him 2 jail
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by onlyson16(m): 4:20pm On May 15, 2015
[quote author=natureblack post=33765498][i]Peruse at your leisure,English lovers.

* How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend ?

* I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

* Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

* The bandage was wound around the wound.

* The farm was used to produce produce.

* The dump was full that it had to refuse more refuse.

* We must polish the Polish furniture.

* I did not object to the object.

* When shot at,the dove dove into the bushes.

* They were too close to the door to close it.

* The seamstress and a sewer fell into a sewer line.

* To help with planting,the farmer taught his sow to sow.

* After a number of injections my jaw got number.

Viewed freely,English language is the accretion and growth of every dielect,race,and range of time,and is both the free compacted composition of all yaa man i feel u no b small at all
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by natureblack(m): 4:31pm On May 15, 2015
kradleber:

They are heteronyms.(Homographs) ..

Yes_which fall into several categories,namely;
Capitonyms

Accent heteronyms

True heteronyms

Grammatical-function heteronyms

Three-way heteronyms.

English language has nuances that aren't present in other languages.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 15, 2015
kradleber:
I'm so in love with the English Language. I don't care if you tag the language 'lunatic'..Always scored A1/B2 in it. so addicted to the language that I read the dictionary everyday routinely and novels.

One thing I love mostly about it is the vastness, limitlessness and infiniteness. So many words, plus its wild fun trying to bend those words and try manipulating them like a cruciverbalist would.. say like creating puns, entendres etcetera.

English is such a blessing to the world..I wish it was my first language though.

I think the closest to English in depth is Roman...or maybe Greek..
@Bolded__I thought as much. grin

English is no way near Greek in depth though. Most English words are explained through Greek. English language is very shallow. You see English using the word love to represent general love, love for friends, Love with sexual/emotional feelings and all that but the Greek language have different words for it. Another one is the word "another". When we say another, we could mean another of the same kind or of a different kind. But Greek have separate words for both. Alos - another of the same kind and heteros - another of a different kind. There are many of them. Most of the English words were even derived from Greek.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by BuddhaPalm(m): 4:39pm On May 15, 2015
Gotta share this here:

Why Fvck is the Best Word in the English Language...

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language today is the word "fvck".

It is a magical word which, just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate.

In language, "fvck" falls into many grammatical categories.

It can be used as a verb both transitive (John fvcked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fvcked by John).

It can be an action verb (John really gives a fvck),

a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fvck),

and adverb (Mary is fvcking interested in John),

or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fvck).

It can also be used as an interjection (Fvck! I'm late for my date with Mary).

It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, fvck she's also stupid).

As you can see there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word fvck.

Aside from its sexual connotations, this word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Greetings........."How the fvck are ya?"

2. Fraud..............."I got fvcked by the car dealer."

3. Resignation......."Oh, fvck it!"

4. Trouble............."I guess I'm fvcked now."

5. Aggression........."Fvck you!"

6. Disgust................"Fvck me."

7. Confusion............." What the fvck....?"

8. Displeasure............"Fvcking shit man..."

9. Lost........................"Where the fvck are we?"

10.Disbelief..............."Unfuckingbelievable!"

11.Retaliation............."Up your fvcking ass!"

12. Apathy................."Who really gives a fvck?"

13. Suspicion............."Who the fvck are you?"

14. Directions.............."Fvck off."

It can be maternal........"Motherfvcker!"

It can be used to tell time......."It's four fvcking twenty!"

It can be used as an anatomical description............."He's a fvcking asshole."

Lastly, it has been used by many notable people throughout history:

"What the fvck was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima

"That's not a real fvcking gun." -John Lennon

"Where the fvck is all this water coming from?" -Captain of the Titanic

"Who the fvck is gonna find out?" -Richard Nixon

"Heads are gonna fvcking roll." -Anne Boleyn

"Any fvcking idiot could answer that." -Albert Einstein

"It does so fvcking look like her!" -Picasso

"You want what on the fvcking ceiling?" -Michaelangelo

"Fvck a duck." -Walt Disney

"Houston, we have a big fvcking problem." - The crew of Apollo 13

Written by McCutcheon

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Lilimax(f): 4:46pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

Whao! smiley
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by paix(m): 4:48pm On May 15, 2015
Hidentity:
I discovered that 'Satchet' is pronounced 'SaKit'. All is well.
I see, I have always pronounced it as 'sashei'
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by blank(f): 4:50pm On May 15, 2015
Hidentity:
Succinct and deep. The oral English aspect worries me the most. Just yesterday, I discovered that 'Satchet' is pronounced 'SaKit'. All is well.

Did you mean sachet?

Oral English is /saˈSHā/ that is 'sashaay"
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by paix(m): 4:56pm On May 15, 2015
maggilove:
I understand u very well because I studied English in the university, all languages have their own dynamism that's what u should try to understand.
Yea, the more I try to understand it, the more I get confused.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 15, 2015
kradleber:
I'm so in love with the English Language. I don't care if you tag the language 'lunatic'..Always scored A1/B2 in it. so addicted to the language that I read the dictionary everyday routinely and novels.

One thing I love mostly about it is the vastness, limitlessness and infiniteness. So many words, plus its wild fun trying to bend those words and try manipulating them like a cruciverbalist would.. say like creating puns, entendres etcetera.

English is such a blessing to the world..I wish it was my first language though.

I think the closest to English in depth is Roman...or maybe Greek..
You are deeply taken by English language. How I wish foreigners can love Nigerian languages like this.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by kradleber: 5:04pm On May 15, 2015
eni4real:
You are deeply taken by English language. How I wish foreigners can love Nigerian languages like this.

Meshurnu there! ..
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 5:09pm On May 15, 2015
another issue is plenty of unnecessary letters in English spellings like:

1.The 'P' in Psychology and Psychiatry
2.what is 'K' doing in Kinife
3.Laugh should have been "Laff"
4.Unneccesary 'U' in Labour and Favour
Also:
5.The 'CH" in machine and machination are pronounced as sh and k respectively!
6. it (CH) is also pronounced differently in Champion
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Arcard(m): 5:10pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

guy na german u dy speak oh u dn translate evri tin to german accentic tone
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by dynamo007(m): 5:15pm On May 15, 2015
ElDeeVee:
Reminds of d phrase 'its high time' which must be followed by a past tense verb....E.g Its high time I slept...
i was really pissed off when I was told it was lyk that
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Pureheart91(m): 5:18pm On May 15, 2015
Hmmn sometimes dis whole ENGLISH complx of a tin has got me tinkn. I wud suggest dat as an independent country we shud come up wid our own lingua franca which is easy, transcending in both writn, interpretation and pronunciation,as dis is the fundamental of a language; dis languange is as commonly known to us as "Pigeon english or broken language". Lets RIP dis white man language and upheld our own. Pigeon language rocks, and its also soely and widely spoken almost in every luk n cranny u find urslf.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Hammefeez: 5:41pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

I think you 've got what you wanted?

All eyes on you .......lolzz
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 15, 2015
Very crazy I tell you.
Can remember in primary school,I always asked my teacher ; If give her her book is correct, what about 'give him him book'. cheesy
Then this spelling: pneumonia which is pronounced as 'nimonia'. Funny enough,till date most adult can't spell that.

harbdulrasaq88:
It's the lunacy of the English language.

A retired teacher of English once wrote: 'English is a crazy language.

There is no egg in eggplants, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore it's paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing; grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, two geese. So one moose, two meese?.Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? . If teachers taught, why don't preachers praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane .You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on. English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all.

http://www.edificationinfo.com/2015/05/the-lunacy-of-english-language.html
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Pauls0n(m): 6:08pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

I lov zis sh*t
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by ctosin12: 6:38pm On May 15, 2015
natureblack:
In linguistics they are known as "heteronym".

lol... Sory sire, pls wat aspect of linguistic?
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 15, 2015
Lol. If vegetarians eat vegetables then humanitarians must be eating people.
Funny.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by hisprinceship: 7:45pm On May 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Heavy problem

ea was also replaced with i
Gdamt I kan rid German nov.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 15, 2015
This is just a silly excuse for africans to keep wallowing in ignorance, illiteracy and poverty. English is a versatile language. learn it , expand your horizon and liberate yourself from mental slavery.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 15, 2015
Prettydiamond:
So sweet. Nice piece
nne, imara nma na ese okwu.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 15, 2015
Prettydiamond:
So sweet. Nice piece
nne, imara nma na ese okwu.
Re: The Lunacy Of The English Language by Zhozadaemon(m): 8:02pm On May 15, 2015
kradleber:

lol ..that was a typo not lunacy.. A1/B2

I read you sire...(present tense...but wait o..if I used it in past tense it'll still go...yes?)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Babcock Female Student Involved In The Leaked Sex Video Have Been Expelled / Courses That Do Not Require Mathematics. / Osun Schools To Reopen On September 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.