Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,647 members, 7,820,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Religion Is A Propaganda Tool - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Is A Propaganda Tool (5902 Views)

100% Proof That Religion Is A Sham. MUST READ !!!! / Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. / Was Christainity A Propaganda Tool For Slavery & The Colonial System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Uchechukwu: 5:22pm On Oct 15, 2005
I do not believe in institutionalized religion and will be very willing to debate my stance .

1 Like

Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by nferyn(m): 9:34pm On Oct 15, 2005
Uchechukwu:

I do not believe in institutionalized religion and will be very willing to debate my stance .

I agree, but that's not the only thing it is.
Historically, religion has been used/
[list]
[li]As a sort of folk science, explaining the world (e.g. see book of Genesis)[/li]
[li]As a vehicle for social cohesion - a positive aspect of religion[/li]
[li]As a vehicle of political power (e.g. the Catholic Church, even today)[/li]
[li]as an instituation for oppression (e.g. the Inquisition, the withc hunts, the Magdalena Laundries, ...[/li]
[li]As a justification for war and conquest (e.g. the Crusades, the 80year war, the Spanish Fury)[/li]
[li]As a justification for slavery[/li]
[li]and many many more[/li]
[/list]

All great monothesitic organised religions have blood on their hands - or more precisely, their very foundations are soaked in blood.
I feel more for the applied pacifism of Budhism and for the pantheistical religions. Although intellectually I can not bring myself to believe in a higher being, it would make life a whole lot easier
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Uchechukwu: 11:05pm On Oct 15, 2005
True. I respect religion for playing a pivotal role in modern human civilization but as a basis for morality and spirituality, it might as well be thrown out of the door. As an African, I still and forever will nurse resentment for the roles religion has played in indoctrinating the minds of my people and that why we run to the mosque on fridays and the church on sunday waiting for divine providence while the power to change the world lies in the beign within. Buddhism remains one religion that I love for being able to teach the understanding of the self and encourages free thinking unlike the others.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Seun(m): 7:46am On Oct 18, 2005
Debate your stance: How do you know that "the power to change the world lies in the being within"?
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by donnie(m): 11:03am On Oct 25, 2005
Uche,

Christianity is more than a religion...it is the life of God in a man.

That being within was made by God and does not have life except that which comes from God.

I believe the Human spirit has some abilities, but there is a limit to which it can go. Those of us that have recieved supernatural ability from the creator by His spirit. have discovered a power that the human spirit by itself can never get.

There is a limit to the knowledge the human spirit can acquire without the inspiration of the Holy spirit.

It takes humility to submit to that higher power from the almighty God.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. "

...that being within can recieve supernatural ability! ....power...Dynamic ability to cause changes!
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Seun(m): 6:02am On Oct 02, 2006
Christianinty is a religion that claims to be more than just a religion. That doesn't make the claim right!

1 Like

Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by olabowale(m): 2:22pm On Oct 02, 2006
The ones who do not belieev that there is a religion that is commanded by God upon His creation or do not even believe that God existe or claims that one religion gives supernatural power to him/her, my question to you is this; Can you delay your death for a moment, when it comes? Don't you see in yourself the power of God? That God exists and only He hold true power? If you belief, it is in Him only. If you ask, it is from Him alone. If you pray, it must be to Him, without any association, whatsoever.

You see that you age, however unnoticed, but in time you see that are older. Each day we approach our grave, the end of our journey. Every Friday, people say thank goodness it is Friday. But the forgot that a whole week from their life is spent, inching, ever so steadily to the Grave. the reality of man! It is like birth.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by jonpinjeff(m): 5:08am On Oct 04, 2006
nferyn:

All great monothesitic organised religions have blood on their hands - or more precisely, their very foundations are soaked in blood.
I feel more for the applied pacifism of Budhism and for the pantheistical religions. Although intellectually I can not bring myself to believe in a higher being, it would make life a whole lot easier

U have said it all. Intellectually u can not explain the complexities of the spirit realm because there is a limit to which that wrinkled mass, called brain can decipher things of higher dimensions.

Rightly said. Your Life would be a lot easier if u submit it to the Author of Your Life.

Pls Do. He Loves U OK?
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 8:55pm On May 30, 2007
Religion has historically been a source of wars and persecution in all part of the world.It is clear that religious fundamentalism of any kind, the Christian, Muslim or Jewish faiths, feeds on insecurity, a profound need by individuals to be part of a protective community, a wish to get back into the womb and to keep the frightening reality out of our field of vision. Thus it is perfectly understandable that in today’s world, which is more than ever filled with insecurity and easily turned to hysteria, masses of people will embrace fundamentalism as their final hope and protection from what they label as evil, protection from the reality of an explosive world.However, what inevitably happens is that fundamentalism turns into profiteering by calculating opportunists who care for nothing other than self-promotion.Religion is in the service of imperialism.There have been times, of course, when both Muslim and Christian armies have forcefully tried to conquer virgin lands, acting in the service of secular governments. Religion is bound to be seen as an effective tool by governments who put up a façade of piety – or stay quietly in the background while colonial missionaries reach out to conquer in the name of their God.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by mazaje(m): 9:38pm On May 30, 2007
As far as there is poverty people will always believe in gods, unless if the people are been provided with an earthly paradise or some utopia. if not the need to believe in something to have solace in or the need for make belief as a quest for imperialism or some sort of contianment, religion will always have a place to stay because it will always be used for the benefit of some people over others.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by MILITIA(f): 10:54pm On May 30, 2007
It is interesting that Nigerians will import anything and become masters of the game. Here we are importing all kinds of religions only to carry them on our heads more than those who invented them. While we bowed our heads in prayer or pennance, the smart masters looted and are still looting every known resources availble to our land. Please do not get me wrong. It is wise to have something to believe in. But since it does not reflect in our lives, I think it is pointless and a game of show and tell. We have all kinds of churches and mosques in every street corner in Nigeria but have nothing to show for it. We remain one of most selfish and godless people on the face of the earth with all the holy holy!!!!!! oh please!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by MILITIA(f): 11:25pm On May 30, 2007
I am so happy that most of us realize the roles of religion in our lives. It is how you use it that matters. Following blindly is the greatest sin. I truly believe there is a higher power and all does not exist in a vacuum. The nature of this supreme being is what I am still trying to understand and most religions especially christianity and islam have done a terrible job trying to explain it. A religion that does not allow you to ask questions amounts to terrorism. Buddhism like one of the forumites mentioned teaches inner strength, humility and the notion of "superiorty" over other religions is absent. I think I like that!
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by nferyn(m): 11:39pm On May 30, 2007
MILITIA:

Buddhism like one of the forumites mentioned teaches inner strength, humility and the notion of "superiorty" over other religions is absent. I think I like that!
But if you believe in a supreme being, then Buddhism isn't really for you, as there is no God concept in Buddhism.
Traditional Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion. You could also try Jainism.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by MILITIA(f): 11:48pm On May 30, 2007
That is okay too. It is called freedom to customize your beliefs by taking the good in all to form yours. Afterall, what are we all looking for? Is it not inner peace and the notion of striving to be better individuals till death I am a free thinker looking for ways to solve my own state of confusion in this world. If it works for you fine! No problem with that. You cannot teach others what to believe in. You find it yourself so you do not live like a parrot. Born a christian, I have not had much luck. Being a free thinker has made me less gullible to some unquestionable beliefs and traditions. I am more philosophical and reasonable in the way I deal with others. With christianity, I kept forcing myself to chant and profess things I did not believe in my heart because my parents made me do so. I cannot live like that in this short life. I will take my chances with the consequences of the so called "after life".
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by MILITIA(f): 11:51pm On May 30, 2007
I love the excerpt on Jainism you provided. You have given me something else to explore and I say thank you. smiley
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by nferyn(m): 11:53pm On May 30, 2007
MILITIA:
I am a free thinker looking for ways to solve my own state of confusion in this world.
Are you really a free thinker? You still seem to believe in the supernatural.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by nferyn(m): 11:57pm On May 30, 2007
MILITIA:

I love the excerpt on Jainism you provided. You have given me something else to explore and I say thank you. smiley
My pleasure. it's really sad to know that many (ex) theist never get into contact with other religions and philosophical traditions. It's like growing up in a cocoon.
Anyway, you can also have a look at the secular humanist philosophy, especially the links section offers a lot of material.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by MILITIA(f): 12:39am On May 31, 2007
Thanks once again.  Yes, I am a free thinker.  I think about the natural, supernatural or supranatural. Anything to give inner peace.  As long as it is "good".  I believe in positive energy that helps me and others no matter where it comes from.  Be it Olokun, Sango, Christianity, Islam or whatever.  Let me say for clarification purposes, it takes a cocktail of beliefs to arrive at that destination we all try to reach.  Take the good in all and form yours! One doctrine cannot have all the answers since we are all different peoples.  As long as it does not maim, kill, slander, disrespect or incapacitate-- I am all for it.  Anything good sha is all that counts.   The "Supernatural" notion also has it's place in healing and promoting wellbeing.  It is all about what you strongly believe in or "faith".  Abi no be so wink?

1 Like

Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 10:31pm On May 31, 2007
How long would religion last if there was no special profit in it for those who carry on religious propaganda??.Millions of priests, preachers, bishops, nuns, sisters, monks, secretaries, evangelists, and others of higher or lower degree derive their living from the continual life of the religions they preach. Most of these people have very easy lives. They are usually fat and well kept, wear good clothes, and have special benefits. They work together like a vast political machine. It is to their personal advantage to work for the religion which supports them.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by nferyn(m): 10:49pm On May 31, 2007
MILITIA:

Thanks once again. Yes, I am a free thinker. I think about the natural, supernatural or supranatural. Anything to give inner peace. As long as it is "good". I believe in positive energy that helps me and others no matter where it comes from. Be it Olokun, Sango, Christianity, Islam or whatever. Let me say for clarification purposes, it takes a cocktail of beliefs to arrive at that destination we all try to reach. Take the good in all and form yours!
You don't have to look religion to find the good at all. Actually, if you want to excel morally (or rather ethically), it is far better to look at the modern ethicists, such as Peter Singer, than at any religious doctrine. A rational consideration of value is far superior than a doctrinal religious one.

MILITIA:

One doctrine cannot have all the answers since we are all different peoples. As long as it does not maim, kill, slander, disrespect or incapacitate-- I am all for it. Anything good sha is all that counts.
In that case you cannot read too much in all those religious books, better avoid the glaring contradictions and above all reject the despicable moral messages contained in the 'holy' books of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. I think you're being too generous on the religious and by doing so, you're helping them perpetuate their immoral teachings.
Here's a talk by Christopher Hitchens who is quite clear and uncompromising in his rejection of theism.

MILITIA:

The "Supernatural" notion also has it's place in healing and promoting wellbeing. It is all about what you strongly believe in or "faith". Abi no be so wink?
The fact that the supernatural may have positive effects isn't really an argument. All kinds of false beliefs may have positive effects. George Bernard Shaw was pretty clear when he said: The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 7:58pm On Jun 01, 2007
in the Berlin conference of 1884 the fate of africa was decided among the european queens and kings,when the saliors set foot back on european soil,they told queen isabella of spain those follow words about indigenous afrikans' they worship pagan gods,they are uncivilized",now who was king james the second,king james the second,was a dicident from the church of england,who also desagreed with the catholic church, and so was king george,who founded the anglican church,most black christians in Amerikkka and Canada and west indies read the king james B.I.B.L.E  on which king james and king george and all those kings and queens of europe were all free masons
the purpose to send jesuits to africa,was to evangelize and pacify the afrikans,because according to them
" Africans were uncivilized" and needed to be evangelized,why on earth,would people wear something on their necks that represents the roman empire and was used as symbol of torture,is beyond me,like marcus garvey said" take the kinky of your brain" take the shakcles from your brain,because religion is different than spirituality,religion is man made and design to control peoples mind,we should achieve for spirituality not religion,this message is for all king james slaves aka,evangelized Africans
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by stimulus(m): 8:05pm On Jun 01, 2007
After all the history lessons, what has your "black jesus" done for you?

We are grateful for the efforts of King James - at least, he didn't write the Bible.

What has become of your "black jesus" for the last 500 years, Horus?
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 8:09pm On Jun 01, 2007
@stimulus
This thread have nothing to do with Black Jesus
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by gbadex1(m): 8:15pm On Jun 01, 2007
Please, stop touting that "OFF TOPIC" bullshit! Answer the questions here!

I friggin' dare you! If you know, you don't have the IQ of a goat and brain of a bird combined, then answer those questions!!!
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by stimulus(m): 8:19pm On Jun 01, 2007
Hehehe. . . @Horus, grin

Shout it from here to Ojuelegba; no shakings. How many threads have you posted your OFFTOPIC rants on?

Just shut your trap and answer those questions:

After all the history lessons, what has your "black jesus" done for you?

We are grateful for the efforts of King James - at least, he didn't write the Bible.

What has become of your "black jesus" for the last 500 years, Horus?

You have FACTS, abi? Good then. Then be so gracious to answer the questions instead of scooting from thread to thread and now crying for mama's cover when your own games have been brought to your doorstep. cool grin
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 8:22pm On Jun 01, 2007
Off Topic
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by gbadex1(m): 8:28pm On Jun 01, 2007
Shut your bloody trap!

Answer the questions! Bloody empty-head with a special ability for copying and pasting without thinking independently!
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 8:31pm On Jun 01, 2007
This Thead is: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by stimulus(m): 8:34pm On Jun 01, 2007
@Horus,

So what? Have we not been posting in line with what the topic says - especially in correspondence to what YOU have been posting? What's all this childish noise making you're using as your latest devise?
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by gbadex1(m): 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2007
@ stimulus:

obviously, the dude can't think on his own without ferreting the net for racist material.

@ Horus,

the questions asked ARE NOT off-topic! Answer the questions!
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by Horus(m): 8:44pm On Jun 01, 2007
This Thead is: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool     
What is the connection with Black Jesus?
Re: Religion Is A Propaganda Tool by gbadex1(m): 8:50pm On Jun 01, 2007
blah blah blah, simply shut it. Answer the questions!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible / How Jehovah Witness Called The Faithful Apostles False Christian / Fulfilled Prophecies: Evidence For The Reliability Of The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.