Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones (18417 Views)

Free Flow Of Yuan In Nigerian Banks - What You Need To Know / Four Nigerian Banks Among World’s Top 500 / Four Nigerian Banks Among Top 500 Global Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 6:35am On May 20, 2015
I read about the pay scale of bankers in Nigeria with deep and utter sadness. I haven't been able to sleep since I read the stories on Nairaland, for I have been deeply disturbed. Prior to these articles, I erroneously thought that entry level bankers earn nothing less than 120k, but I was very wrong! My nephew is banker, but he keeps asking me to send him money. I joke about it, albeit ignorantly, not knowing his pay is that of a slave.

Fellow Nigerians, granted we have over 50 million unemployed youths, nevertheless should we accept to be slaves in our own country? What will a young man full of life and energy do with 24k/month or $110 per month. I can remember many times I have spent such an amount one night on a family dinner. This is not fair and must be stopped! We must task the incoming administration to review our labor laws. It is unacceptable for a graduate working in a multibillion dollar coporation as a banker to earn less than $4/day.

Instead of trekking from pillar to post, do something about it! I would like to urge all youths to use the power of social media and spread the word. We must start that way. I will do my part by telling the C-in-C to tackle this slave labor head on. Not just the banks, but we must have enforcable laws that all employers of labor must abide to. Little wonder why Kelechi and Kayode are doing drugs in Indonesia. Little wonder why Ifeoma, Kabiru and Femi are drowning in the mediterranean trying to cross to Europe. We must put an end to modern day slavery, wickedness and greed!

You have all taken the right step by revealing it. Now make it popular and we will work on the one-on-one side. This must stop!

-CramJones

154 Likes 18 Shares

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by delishpot: 6:38am On May 20, 2015
Cram cram. Greet C-in-C for us o grin

16 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by dunkem21(m): 6:44am On May 20, 2015
Get your facts right, bro.
Entry level in any Nigerian bank earns above N120k. .. ..Contract and support staff earn less though.

16 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by StealthyMe(m): 6:44am On May 20, 2015
Thats what happens when you have an unconcerned government in power...

Greater days ahead!

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 6:45am On May 20, 2015
dunkem21:

Entry level in any Nigerian bank earns above N120k. ..
..Contract and support staff earn less though.

O
Do you work in a bank? Or do you just feel like talking?

-CramJones

59 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 6:55am On May 20, 2015
No wonder those bankers in abraka always ask for change from customers. E nor good na. Man must survive anyway

8 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by onyi4edu(f): 6:58am On May 20, 2015
Honestly it's such a pity!!! I hope and pray something will be done about it

4 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by dunkem21(m): 7:03am On May 20, 2015
cramjones:
O Do you work in a bank? Or do you just feel like talking?
-CramJones

We should be more concerned about the stated fact.
No bank pay their core staff less than N2m/annum.

9 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by idu1(m): 7:15am On May 20, 2015
What's now the way forward?
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by socialmediaman: 7:22am On May 20, 2015
dunkem21:

Entry level in any Nigerian bank earns above N120k. ..
..Contract and support staff earn less though.

You should have mentioned the amount that contract staff earn, they're graduates also and some of them earn as low as 40k or so, not for a shift work, but full time work

21 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Maxymilliano(m): 7:24am On May 20, 2015
cramjones:
O Do you work in a bank? Or do you just feel like talking?
-CramJones

The dude is right, only contract and support staff earn peanuts

5 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 7:35am On May 20, 2015
I don't discuss cramjones thread because he wil retract every thing before nightfall today

17 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by TheOtherview: 7:44am On May 20, 2015
I am not sure if the following helps.

Olutola88:
I really don't know why I love to be informed. I think it just brings me fulfillment to know what's going on around me. Some people say I'm too inquisitive and I tell them that I was even worse as a child. I just want to know everything (provided it's a relevant information).

I've always wanted to know how much companies operating in Nigeria offer fresh graduates. I intended using my contacts to carry out the small research but I realized that alone might be insufficient. I've opted for a better option which is our lovely Nairaland. Yes! Lovely. By the time people start giving authentic and accurate information on this subject you will all understand that “lovely” is an understatement.

Kindly come in and list as many companies as you are sure of and state in front how much they offer entry level position after tax and pension i.e TAKE HOME

All values should be in Naira and should be monthly pay.

Diamond Bank : Around 230,000
GTB : Around 200,000
KPMG : Around 145,000
Union Bank. : Around 215,000
PZ Cussons. :Around 145,000(RDMi.e Sales)

For those that will give us Oil and Gas info, you can be kind enough to state how much is obtainable in the Upstream and Downstream.

Conspicuously, there will be arguments. I implore you all to correct others maturely.

Sit back, relax and Enjoy *lol*

Image Source: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Guaranty-Trust-Bank-Nigeria-Salaries-E350383.htm

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by dunkem21(m): 7:53am On May 20, 2015
socialmediaman:

You should have mentioned the amount that contract staff earn, they're graduates also and some of them earn as low as 40k or so, not for a shift work, but full time work

I agree with you ..It depends on the type of contract you hold, though.

Some earn commissions based on the inflows and transactions from their customers(Marketers) while some have fixed pay which is in the limit of N40k as rightly pointed out.

The contract agreement should be reviewed in all banks to ensure equity and fairness ..even if it means reducing the remuneration of 'core staff' to bridge this gap.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Rawani: 7:57am On May 20, 2015
I read it too and was depressed at the discovery. In the UK, the minimum wage is about £6.50/hr (N1,900 per hour for 16/17 year olds) for flipping burgers and though in a different economic context, explains why the brain drain we suffer is not about to stop soon.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by tejpot(m): 7:58am On May 20, 2015
That's our financial institution for u. That being said, the way foreigners treat our citizens as slaves in their own country is another pressing matter to be addressed by whomever cares to. They are not allowed to participate in labour meetings any longer. Any attempt to complain about the poor state of work they are immediately threatened with sacked letter. While their foreign counterparts with a lesser qualification have dedicated drivers they are subjected to inhumane working conditions. In factories, they are not entitled to personal protective equipments, no special provisions for over time, no accommodation for drivers in case of long distance assignments. They are treated less than they will treat their pets. It's time to raise our voices and not the suffering.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by ultrazone(m): 7:59am On May 20, 2015
wefvg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by folabayo1(f): 8:00am On May 20, 2015
Na microfinance banks worst pass but wetin man pikin go do wen better job dey but no connection undecided
Naija na wa
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Pavore9: 8:00am On May 20, 2015
Modern day slavery!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Texcoco(m): 8:01am On May 20, 2015
Who keeps indulging this dolt's tripe on FP??...

4 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by harrysterol(m): 8:01am On May 20, 2015
That the painful thing, our labour laws are too weak to kill an ant

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by kingthreat(m): 8:03am On May 20, 2015
Cramjones doesn't even know the gardeners in Aso Rock talkess of the incoming C-in-C

3 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by justi4jesu(f): 8:04am On May 20, 2015
Following....Do banks pay this much, I doubt because they are always complaining and broke angry
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by hayoakins(m): 8:04am On May 20, 2015
It is a tactical way of widening the income gap by continuously making some people better off and some worse off.

Behind every GLORY is a Story but I oppose the story of modern slavery and exploitation of the populace in a bid to reduce the financial risk of the stakeholders.

There comes a time when the hunter will become the hunted, Nigeria is almost there, ask PDP.

#WalksOFF

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 8:05am On May 20, 2015
undecided
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by glassman: 8:05am On May 20, 2015
18k, 25k wt 5million target!!! Walahi, some private employers are devils in human bodies
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by omenka(m): 8:05am On May 20, 2015
First reasonable post he's made in a loooooong time.
Nice one dude. cool
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 8:05am On May 20, 2015
ok
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by bigerboy200: 8:05am On May 20, 2015
cramjones:
I read about the pay scale of bankers in Nigeria with deep and utter sadness. I haven't been able to sleep since I read the stories on Nairaland, for I have been deeply disturbed. Prior to these articles, I erroneously thought that entry level bankers earn nothing less than 120k, but I was very wrong! My nephew is banker, but he keeps asking me to send him money. I joke about it, albeit ignorantly, not knowing his pay is that of a slave.

Fellow Nigerians, granted we have over 50 million unemployed youths, nevertheless should we accept to be slaves in our own country? What will a young man full of life and energy do with 24k/month or $110 per month. I can remember many times I have spent such an amount one night on a family dinner. This is not fair and must be stopped! We must task the incoming administration to review our labor laws. It is unacceptable for a graduate working in a multibillion dollar coporation as a banker to earn less than $4/day.

Instead of trekking from pillar to post, do something about it! I would like to urge all youths to use the power of social media and spread the word. We must start that way. I will do my part by telling the C-in-C to tackle this slave labor head on. Not just the banks, but we must have enforcable laws that all employers of labor must abide to. Little wonder why Kelechi and Kayode are doing drugs in Indonesia. Little wonder why Ifeoma, Kabiru and Femi are drowning in the mediterranean trying to cross to Europe. We must put an end to modern day slavery, wickedness and greed!

You have all taken the right step by revealing it. Now make it popular and we will work on the one-on-one side. This must stop!

-CramJones

Wait ohhh CJ...u sometimes spend 24k for one night family dinner?? Wow..u are made already ohh
.se u go employ me biko?

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Impulse80(m): 8:06am On May 20, 2015
comment
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 8:06am On May 20, 2015
Don't forget telecoms industry, they are worst
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by G3n3sis: 8:07am On May 20, 2015
Nice article, op smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Biggest Consumer Markets In Nigeria: Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, PH - BI / 5 Hot Business You Can Start With 10,000-100,000,000 Naira / Secrets Of Making Money Online As A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.